I Am a Fan, But... (What Makes You Heretic Among Other Fans?)

The whole Thriller / Halloween thing. I can't get with the programme, lol.
I do get it, but... Well, my second heresy of the day is that I don't celebrate Halloween. 😳😅 Didn't grow up with it, so I'm not used to it. It's too "American" for me. (Plus, I do love spooky things, but I like them year-round!)

Oh heretics you say. I freaking hate Michael’s voice especially when he is singing.
And I think Michael Jackson was soooooo ugly! Especially during the Bad era. Just look at him! Hideous! Surely anyone who finds him handsome and/or sexy is crazy! 😜🤣

And I think Michael Jackson was soooooo ugly! Especially during the Bad era. Just look at him! Hideous! Surely anyone who finds him handsome and/or sexy is crazy! 😜🤣
you are banned from this forum FOREVER!!!!

I do get it, but... Well, my second heresy of the day is that I don't celebrate Halloween. 😳😅 Didn't grow up with it, so I'm not used to it. It's too "American" for me. (Plus, I do love spooky things, but I like them year-round!)
well, its is American. I don't "celebrate" it either! And I am scared of the Thriller short film! :eek:

I do get it,
No, I mean, I *get* it bc Americans and their whole Trick or Treat / zombies thing. I understand it, just have zero interest in it plus it just seems so, um, obvious to make that connection. I am unmoved and disinterested.

That said, the ongoing cultural life of Thriller and the dance routine, gotta love that. All of *that* stuff, awesome! :D

you are banned from this forum FOREVER!!!!

well, its is American. I don't "celebrate" it either! And I am scared of the Thriller short film! :eek:
Ohh noooooooooo!!! 😭😭😭💀 Please forgive me!!!!

Haha I believe many people find Thriller scary actually! Me personally... Hmmm, not really I don't think. 🤔 But I can see why others would be, lol. I can simply take quite a bit in terms of "scary" stuff.

Trust me if you are 8 or so thriller is f*ckin scary! My uncle actually arranged a watch party because he bought the making of thriller VHS. Good ol’ days lol
I vividly remember my parents and uncles reactions to watching the video. There was laughter and disgust and an overall electric atmosphere in the room.

I don’t remember it all clearly but perhaps this was my introduction to Michael Jackson

Trust me if you are 8 or so
Alternatively, if you are in your mid-twenties it *still* is freakin' scary. I mean, I could watch the thing. Repeatedly. But it was a strain. It's just proper scary. 😶‍🌫️

thriller is f*ckin scary!
Like, 'I'm outta here' scary!

Don't get me wrong, loved it to bits. LOVE IT!!!

No interest in Thriller + Halloween but the short film is awesome and the dance routine is everything.

But those scary bits are pulverising.

Trust me if you are 8 or so thriller is f*ckin scary! My uncle actually arranged a watch party because he bought the making of thriller VHS. Good ol’ days lol
I vividly remember my parents and uncles reactions to watching the video. There was laughter and disgust and an overall electric atmosphere in the room.

I don’t remember it all clearly but perhaps this was my introduction to Michael Jackson
Oh I think if I had seen it in full as a child, I would've agreed! Lol. But I only saw small clips of it when I was younger, I don't remember when I first saw those honestly.

@zinniabooklover

You are not into horror movies are you? 🤡
I have a weird fascination for them.

I always found thriller unsettling because the monster was a loved one which is a terrifying thought!
But over the years I saw so many horror films that I got almost desensitized.

@zinniabooklover

You are not into horror movies are you? 🤡
You clocked me! Back in the day I read maybe 6 or 7 Stephen King books and then had to stop. Never went anywhere near Peter Straub. Even the book blurb had me running for the hills, lol. Horror films? Oh please! Just no. :eek:

I have a weird fascination for them.
And I find it fascinating that people are so fascinated by this stuff. Horror films, true crime, anything like that. I used to love reading crime fiction but I can't even do that now bc it's all so explicit these days. Ugh! I had to give up watching CSI. Gah!

Even a film that is not horror but more 'suspense' I struggle with.

I always found thriller unsettling because the monster was a loved one which is a terrifying thought!
I never even thought of that. That is a brilliant insight, f&m - now go and write a thesis! That said, I'm OK with that aspect. The stuff that freaks me out is quite predictable - being chased, monsters smashing down the walls and breaking in, all of that. It's brilliantly done but it's ... ugh, it's TOO freakin' brilliant. Dancing zombies I'm fine with. They are dancing! What's not to like? 🙂

Michael as a werecat is a little bit scary. Michael as a dancing monster is fine. He's dancing! He does the monster thing brilliantly. I know he's helped by fabulous make-up and so on but, still, he inhabits that role, that persona, SO well. Just what he does with his face and eyes. God, he nails it completely. Awesome!

But over the years I saw so many horror films that I got almost desensitized.
Even just reading that makes me want to go in search of chocolate and a nice comfy duvet, lol.

I cringe at the end of the performances of 'Earth Song' at the award shows. Very awkward. The performance of the songs itself is incredible, the end part really wasn't great.

Oh, which part? The one with tank? Or on the cherry picker?

ok, I forgot about that one.

Here is mine because its Thriller 40 day - I think I like Starlight better than Thriller but I am scared to admit it to myself! 🫣 The Thriller 40 version is great! Love that part toward the end "Give me, give me that sun!"
And the "Yeahhh " at the beginning. The lyrics are so sparkling, emotional to me, It sounds so him. 🤩
I am in love with the Working day and night outfit from Dangerous world tour .. Look at the bondage pattern and how he wears it . He doesn't care how Those colours clash! to me, hot damn- and we get to see a sneak peek of chest...That's part of why it has always been hot .

While I respect Michael's songs like The Lost Children, Speechless, Stranger In Moscow, Smile, Heal The World, etc. I'm a energy/up-tempo MJ junkie lol Which is why Dangerous, Invincible, & Bad, & Xscape r my favorites. Especially Dangerous with the New Jack Swing sound. I'll always favor the "bangers" in Michaels catalog over anything else lol.

Xscape falls in & out of my top 3 fav MJ albums of all time. Only songs I feel were overproduced we're "Do You Know Where Your Children Are" & "Blue Gangster". "Blue Gangster" does have great parts in the song. The main beat driving the song is doing the absolute most lol. I do like most of remixes better as well 😬. Some I'm still undecided on.

Tabloid Junkie is the best song on HIStory in my opinion.

Up 'til recently, I've been very Thriller (album) fatigued lol. I've been watching the Beat it & Thriller videos in 4K so the fatigue isn't as bad with the current run of Thriller 40 as it usually is but I definitely have times where I got a little tired of hearing Thriller, Beat It, & Billie Jean (The Holy Trinity 😂).

Monster is such a great song. It sucks so much that it isn't Michaels voice 🤦🏾‍♂️

Idk how unpopular this is, but I FINALLY, 26 years into my MJ fandom, got into the Jacksons catalog and I went in anticipating Victory to be the best out of the 5 albums as "The Jacksons".... It isn't lol Triumph is light-years better in my opinion. I actually have Victory on the bottom of the Jacksons list.

Maybe because I'm a introvert and don't leave my house much lol, but I wish the Estate focused less on live shows and events and more on things like animated music videos/short films for unreleased songs/songs that didn't get a chance to have music videos, 3D animated concert specials for albums like Invincible or Xscape, or a "What If..." Animated This Is It concert special. Or 4K Upscaling older videos. Imagine if the next posthumous release had a 3D animated concert special coming out behind it. Would be the craziest most epic thing ever.

Xscape falls in & out of my top 3 fav MJ albums of all time. Only songs I feel were overproduced we're "Do You Know Where Your Children Are" & "Blue Gangster". "Blue Gangster" does have great parts in the song. The main beat driving the song is doing the absolute most lol. I do like most of remixes better as well 😬. Some I'm still undecided on.
I didn't necessarily agree with many of the other points in your post (but hey, opinions are opinions) but I wanted to highlight this bit.

For the record, I do like many of the demos on Xscape in the sense that I find them fascinating, and they're also how Michael left them behind. However, with some exceptions (the title track being one of them), I have to admit that many of the demo versions aren't really songs I'd casually listen to given the chance (they're still in my go-to playlist though, but they're rarely highly anticipated when they come on). Again it's not that I dislike them, it's just that many of them sound unfinished (which, well, I guess they are). This is understandable, but at least the remixed versions sound like complete songs. Yes they sound different from the demos, but... I don't dislike them at all? I guess I'm simply not a "purist" type of fan. As songs they simply "work", in my humble, heretic opinion.

I do think this treatment wouldn't have worked for the Porcaro songs, though. His usual style of music simply wouldn't really fit. I think the unreleased songs he wrote are best saved for a different project with a different direction.

He doesn't care how Those colours clash! to me, hot damn- and we get to see a sneak peek of chest...That's part of why it has always been hot .
You made me look at it in a different light! This is one of my least favourite outfit, but I am going to think about sneak peek of chest ;). This picture is gorgeous though 😍, I love when he smiles while singing 🥰

While I respect Michael's songs like The Lost Children, Speechless, Stranger In Moscow, Smile, Heal The World, etc. I'm a energy/up-tempo MJ junkie lol Which is why Dangerous, Invincible, & Bad, & Xscape r my favorites. Especially Dangerous with the New Jack Swing sound. I'll always favor the "bangers" in Michaels catalog over anything else lol.

Tabloid Junkie is the best song on HIStory in my opinion.

Up 'til recently, I've been very Thriller (album) fatigued lol. I've been watching the Beat it & Thriller videos in 4K so the fatigue isn't as bad with the current run of Thriller 40 as it usually is but I definitely have times where I got a little tired of hearing Thriller, Beat It, & Billie Jean (The Holy Trinity 😂).

Monster is such a great song. It sucks so much that it isn't Michaels voice 🤦🏾‍♂️

Idk how unpopular this is, but I FINALLY, 26 years into my MJ fandom, got into the Jacksons catalog and I went in anticipating Victory to be the best out of the 5 albums as "The Jacksons".... It isn't lol Triumph is light-years better in my opinion. I actually have Victory on the bottom of the Jacksons list.

Maybe because I'm a introvert and don't leave my house much lol, but I wish the Estate focused less on live shows and events and more on things like animated music videos/short films for unreleased songs/songs that didn't get a chance to have music videos, 3D animated concert specials for albums like Invincible or Xscape, or a "What If..." Animated This Is It concert special. Or 4K Upscaling older videos. Imagine if the next posthumous release had a 3D animated concert special c oming out behind it. Would be the craziest most epic thing ever.
yes this speaks to me too ...gosh id be spending an absolute fortune. I repurchased xscape today but the *gold* deluxe version. i favour
up tempo too

You made me look at it in a different light! This is one of my least favourite outfit, but I am going to think about sneak peek of chest ;). This picture is gorgeous though 😍, I love when he smiles while singing 🥰
Im so glad i can do that for you @Hiker. yeah 🤩 🤭 its a beautiful vibe he smile quite a bit in that one.

I have no problems with ‘can’t get outta the rain’. its inclusion on ‘thriller 40’ gives the album a sense of authenticity, as it was a b side originally released during that era.

I’ve never liked ‘she’s trouble’ aside from the vocals.

the toy’ sounds more vocally complete than ‘best of joy’.

I prefer digital to physical.

aside from ‘human nature’, I’m not a fan of ballads, and much prefer the uptempo numbers.

Back