I don't understand why (insert song here) gets so much hate

Most songs being listed here are not necessarily hated, just more underlooked than his others. There aren't any specific tracks I can think of that people actually hate, maybe songs that fans skip when they're listening to the album.

The Girl Is Mine.

Agreed it is not his best song - but it's sweet and innocent.

I think most the hate is becuase of the MJ - Poul McCartney issues. - I prefer Say Say Say - but I still think TGIM is a good song.

The Girl Is Mine.

I think most the hate is becuase of the MJ - Poul McCartney issues. - I prefer Say Say Say - but I still think TGIM is a good song.

The dialogue between Michael and Paul in the song is what kills it for me. :giggle: I just have a hard time believing the two of them are fighting over the same girl. I prefer Say Say Say too. :)

Who cares if it's not believable, when Michael said "I'm a lover not a fighter" sounded so dreamy! :girl_in_love: Even Stephen King made a reference to that line in his IT book, beep beep Richie impersonated Michael and said that.

Last edited:
Just Good Friends.... it is beyond me how anyone wouldnt like this song. This song is the staple that hold the 2 sides of Bad together- a party in the middle of the album with 2 of motowns greatest ever talents!

and Privacy... I know, i know its corny and a little on the nose, but I do enjoy this song. I remember when Invincible came out I listened to this song a million times before i even got to playing the album a second time!

Also, most of Michael's motown catalogue is widely ignored. Especially the latter years.

Just Good Friends.... it is beyond me how anyone wouldnt like this song. This song is the staple that hold the 2 sides of Bad together- a party in the middle of the album with 2 of motowns greatest ever talents!

I was surprised that JGF was so trashed in the Bad 25 documentary. I don't think it's as bad as they said there. Actually I don't think it's a bad song at all. It's a fun song, I always liked it.

The Girl Is Mine.

I prefer the demo version of The Girl Is Mine

The Lost Children. Most fans tend to say it's boring as heck, but I actually really like it, and the song itself is very MJ.

I was surprised that JGF was so trashed in the Bad 25 documentary. I don't think it's as bad as they said there. Actually I don't think it's a bad song at all. It's a fun song, I always liked it.

I wonder if ''Girlfriend'' will get trashed in the Off The Wall documentary. Lots of people say that's the worst song on that album

^ Well, I agree with Girlfriend being the weakest on OTW.

^ Well, I agree with Girlfriend being the weakest on OTW.

Indeed. Strange how the ones with the biggest stars (either in writing or singing) have the worst track record.

The whole disappointment with JGF isn't that it's that bad a song, it's that it's STEVIE WONDER & MICHAEL JACKSON for God's sake. Two of the best songwriters of all time and a couple of unknowns write the song for them. I mean, how does that happen? It should have been glorious but it was...just good. Only elevated to a higher standard by their great vocals and ad-libs.

I disagree with unknown part, those were the same composers who gave Tina Turner What's Love Got to Do with It, Terry Britten and Graham Lyle and it was one of the biggest hits for Tinain the 80's. But JGF was not good for Michael's and Stevie's caliber IMO, they achieved that epicness better with Get It.

Indeed. Strange how the ones with the biggest stars (either in writing or singing) have the worst track record.

The whole disappointment with JGF isn't that it's that bad a song, it's that it's STEVIE WONDER & MICHAEL JACKSON for God's sake. Two of the best songwriters of all time and a couple of unknowns write the song for them. I mean, how does that happen? It should have been glorious but it was...just good. Only elevated to a higher standard by their great vocals and ad-libs.

Their other duet "Get It" was much better.

Both Just good friend and Get It never hit home for me and here is my take on why

Both songs suffers from being made in the mid 80's. Now I have nothing against the 80's in term of sound (heavy synthesizers, electric bass, etc) but these songs haven't aged well over the years (esp get it) and sounds extremely dated. Again, that is not a bad thing at all but when you got artists of that caliber you're expecting something timeless. Look at the songs Stevie wrote for Mike like with a child's heart (ok not exactly written for MJ) and I can't help it. Imagine if they did something like I can't help it together as a duet, going back and forth, ad-libbing over each other, real instruments playing and just grooving out. They should have collaborated in the early 80's or in the late 70's. I believe the songs that they made for the Bad and Characters album were too caught up in that era to really stand out on it's own.

It's The Falling In Love (gorgeous tender duet with the underrated Patti Austin, with nicely propulsive production)
Just Good Friends (adore the funky '80s production on this, and Stevie's part gives me goosebumps)
This Time Around (hard-slamming hip hop number that introduced some much-needed no-nonsense funk to the album)

Lost children is underrated.

I can't let her get away too. Most Funky track ever done by MJ.

I think that Can't Let Her Get Away would have been great live. I could always imagine it coming straight after Jam on the Dangerous Tour

^ the quality of CLHGA and to a lesser extent SDMW proves the outstanding quality of the Dangerous album.

^ the quality of CLHGA and to a lesser extent SDMW proves the outstanding quality of the Dangerous album.

How do you figure that one? Those are both pretty throwaway tracks. Even the worst songs on HIStory and Invincible were stronger than these two.

^^ you're kidding right? She Drives Me Wild is a wonderful song, i love the story behind it and how Michael created it.

How do you figure that one? Those are both pretty throwaway tracks. Even the worst songs on HIStory and Invincible were stronger than these two.

Can't Let Her Get Away never did it for me, but I LOVE She Drives Me Wild. So undrrated! One of my faves.

Can't say that about DS on HIStory and Privacy on Invincible, so NO! LOL

(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));Post by Michael Jackson.

There's a whole argument to say otherwise that is erudite and passionate, but I think I can sum it up by simplye saying 'Bollocks'.

;)

(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));Post by Michael Jackson.

Oh, OK. Thanks. I knew this. I thought there would be some back story about who the song is about or something. :popcorn:

Black Jeans And
A Turtleneck Sweater
I Know The Girl
Is Fakin' 'Cause
I've Seen Her Look Better

She's Composition
She's Statistical Fact
She Got It Ready
For The Willing
Got It Kicking Of The Back

Great lyrics. Some of Michael's best

Can't Let Her Get Away never did it for me, but I LOVE She Drives Me Wild. So undrrated! One of my faves.

Can't say that about DS on HIStory and Privacy on Invincible, so NO! LOL

Now DS, THAT is an underrated track by so many fans... great solo by Slash, snarling MJ vocals, amazing attitude throughout. It's also the most ballsy song he ever made. I can just imagine the look on the faces of the Sony execs when they were first played the HIStory album and this song came on.

Now DS, THAT is an underrated track by so many fans... great solo by Slash, snarling MJ vocals, amazing attitude throughout. It's also the most ballsy song he ever made. I can just imagine the look on the faces of the Sony execs when they were first played the HIStory album and this song came on.

I must admit, the last part of that also tickles me! I think they pulled the same face when he played them 'The Lost Children'!

Back