I Don't Want to Be Mean...

I think she did ok considering the fact that it was a very emotional tribute to MJ. I just know that I would not have been able to get up there and sang with MJ right there in front of me.

I admit that I haven't seen her perform live very much, but I thought she did fine. She did seem emotional, as most of the performers and speakers were. Did she know the casket was going to be there before she came out?

She did just fine because she was trying to be so strong and not burst out into tears. It's super hard to sing when you are in that much pain.

I think she did pretty well considering the circumstances... singing at a funeral/memorial is incredibly difficult. I don't really think we should be judging any of the performers.

I think her vocal chords are stretched beyond repair. A rubber band will only stretch so far.

I agree with speed_demon, it must be hard singing at a memorial..I mean, geez I wasn't even able to speak that day, I just cried.

Can you imagine what it must have been like for all the singers? :(

When she was on X Factor last year it wasn't good either. She was all stiff like she was in pain and when she tried to do the high notes that she was once so good at you can hear an involuntary out-of-tune screeching at the same time, like someone else was screeching at the same time as she was singing the high note, but both noises were actually coming from her (hard to explain), it was the same on another performance she did somewhere else. I think her voice is damaged. I think there was some concern she had split some part of her voice box.. her vocal chords...I have no idea what, I'm not a medical/singing expert. She was actually better at the memorial than when she was on X Factor. At the memorial it'd be a mixture of this and emotion. Over all I think she did a good job, she was sweet.

To me, Mariah is one of the best female singers in the world. I have no idea how she managed to get on that stage and keep it together but she did and well done to her. I could never have done that. Her performance was not as good as it might have been in another circumstance (like a normal TV show) but, according to her husband, she had no time to rehearse. She now feels really guilty as people are criticising her for her vocals not being 100%.

I wouldn't go as far as to say "AWFUL", but it wasn't the "best ever".

But of course there were emotions that could have been affecting her performance. Anyone think of this? I mean HELLO people. lol

But of course there were emotions that could have been affecting her performance. Anyone think of this? I mean HELLO people. lol

Actually, I did. But after reviewing it further and looking at other, unemotional recent performances of hers I agree with the others who say her voice is shot. She cannot sing those high notes anymore, and she is trying too hard in her performances to compensate for it.

I am not trying to be cruel. It's an observation. I could not help but notice the difference between her recent performances and the voice I grew up on. I've always enjoyed her voice, and I feel really bad for her. It has to be one of the most difficult things she could possibly go through.

Last edited:
Actually, I did. But after reviewing it further and looking at other, unemotional recent performances of hers I agree with the others who say her voice is shot. She cannot sing those high notes anymore, and she is trying too hard in her performances to compensate for it.

I am not trying to be cruel. It's an observation. I could not help but notice the difference between her recent performances and the voice I grew up on. I've always enjoyed her voice, and I feel really bad for her. It has to be one of the most difficult things she could possibly go through.

She still sounds great to me. Of course her voice has changed over time, no one expects her to sound like she did at 21, or maybe they do.

On here Twitter page, she did apologize for her performance. She said that it got to her when she saw his casket in front of her. This wasn't some concert they she had to rehearse for...........I think she did the best that she could.

This was what I thought would make any performance a little shaky, I would have been crying which the casket there in front of me, not easy job at all.

Back