I feel so alone: Being a Michael Jackson fan

Courtney

Proud Member
I stand firmly by my belief that one of the hardest things in the world is being a Michael Jackson fan. Everyday, I find this to be more and more true.

Michael has millions and millions of fans all around the world just like me, but I have yet to meet one personally. I feel alone, surrounded by those who constantly criticize him every single day. This includes my family, friends, and just the general surrounding.
I have yet to meet a solid lover of Michael who actually knows and believes in the truth about him like the fans on this forum. I have yet to meet someone who feels the same way I do about him. Once again, I feel like I'm alone here. I feel like everybody around me is against him in some way, shape, or form. I don't know what else to do. I know they're wrong about him but it's so difficult.

When Michael died, I had the media in one ear and my family, friends, etc. in the other saying the most horrible things: "He's a druggie, he's a sick man, etc." Things that just weren't true. I was alone in coping with the entire situation of fully discovering Michael Jackson and being inspired by him. When Murray was on trial, it was a total nightmare. My surrounding peers at school (and at home) were, for lack of better words, "Team Murray." It killed me everyday to hear them say, "He doesn't deserve to be on trial, it's ridiculous. I hope he gets off." Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, around me felt the same way. Throughout that entire period, this is what I heard from everybody: "If it were somebody other than Michael Jackson, this doctor would be getting a slap on the wrist and walking free. He was only doing his job. It was Jackson begging for it." Saying Michael was responsible for his death, that Murray wasn't to blame. Then the molesting jokes began again: at school, in my own house, etc. It is just absolutely horrible and I cannot escape this. I can't fight against it because they just don't listen.[/i] I never have anybody to back me up. It's me, the "crazy Michael Jackson fan" again the rest. What urged me to make this post was a family member of mine saying, "Michael Jackson was a junkie" when the news about Murray being in jail came on one night. I just don't ever think of Michael in these ways. Never ever. Because none of it is true. I don't even know who the person they speak of is.

How in the world can I keep dealing with this alone? I'm sticking up for a man, not whom I don't know, BUT for a man I believe in. I believe in the truth about him and it's getting harder each day to fight the fight I've been with people. It's getting harder to bite my tongue on the subject, yet I feel that's the best thing to do anymore. I fight with the truth and they fight back with the lies. It's just not worth it anymore. It sucks that I can't share my passion about someone who inspires me, about music that I feel strongly about, that inspires me just the same as the man who made it. I can't share that passion without getting snide remarks or rude snickers from people; without the nasty jokes or funny looks. So I keep it all to myself, to avoid the arguments. It is not fair. It comes with the territory, I know, but there has to be someone out there. I need to know I'm not alone here. I feel like it, but then I come here and I feel the love. It's crazy how coming to an online community can have that impact. I come here and am reminded that Michael is truly loved and that at least someone out there gets it.

A fellow teacher of mine recently asked me what kind of music I like, after hearing other students express their "love" for Taylor Swift. I honestly replied, "I'm a huge fan of Michael Jackson." I got a blank stare for a second and then heard, "Oh, oh really? How about that!" While another person laughed. (Mind you, I'm 18 and a senior in high school.)

It is just not fair for us fans to have to deal with this kind of behavior from people. I feel like Michael always gets it the worst, more than any other celebrity out there, and I wish it would all just stop.

well Courtney..please know that you are NOT alone. I think alot of us here feel the same way you do. I am sick and tired of the outside world not knowing or understanding how I feel about Michael. That is why I am so greatful for MJJC,,,I KNOW I can come here and everyone here feels the same way that I do about Michael..I can be myself here and not care who does or doesn't have my same interest in Michael...because I know that we all love him. I understand that you would like a friend outside of the forum that understands you..,but honey they are few and in between. I have learned not to care what others think, I think it has something to do with age, ,,as I am quite a bit older than you,,BUT I do understand you,,I have a daughter that is a senior in high school also..so I know were you are coming from. Wanna know a secret? when you graduate...it is not gonna matter who thinks what of you...the music you like the cloths you wear...and all that jazz. High school is a place for people to make other people miserable...but it is part of the process we all go through. I'll bet that once you graduate and your world starts to open up to college you will meet others that share your interest in Michael. We MJ fans are out there...we just gotta find each other. ((hugs)))

Thank you. *hug* It's not just in school, though. Although, it is very hard to relate with anybody my age about it. But it's my family as well, which I think makes it a lot harder. My family would never in a million years understand what it is I feel towards Michael and his music or how inspiring he is to me. It gets harder and harder to keep it all in but it's not worth fighting with my loved ones over. It's not so much that I care what others think but more-so the fact of dealing with the sheer ridicule that comes with being a fan. I just completely avoid the subject at this point. MJJC is seriously a hidden gem for Michael Jackson fans!

If this is how I personally feel dealing with this, I can't imagine how Michael felt. One of the more reasons to absolutely, deeply, admire him.

I feel the EXACT same way. The 'Team Murray' bit exactly. I am luck however to have been supported by a family who suports MJ. He is the reason I'm alive after all. (My parents met at a concert)

I've been a fan of Michael for many years so yep I had my dose of being bullied, laughed at and all the like and the first years. Also by family and people who I thought where my friends. Eventually my family saw I was serious of being a fan of him because in the beginning they thought it was just something that would last a couple of months. And my real friends at that time started to respect it that I was a fan. Yes, sometimes they still tell not so funny jokes but I'm like whatever.. it says more about you then about me as a fan. Over the years there is one thing I really learned and that it that you should not defend him all the time. No matter how harsh or rude. Hates will forever be haters so don't waste your energy on them. Only with people you think can have a change of view when you explain why you are a fan, tell them.

The first few years I was also alone but then we got internet and eventually I met other fans online from my own country. Some suggested to meet up and later I was asked to come along when there was a MJ party where I met more fans and so on. And I think this site is the perfect place to find new friends who are fan too. Yes the site is big but maybe you can open a topic that you are looking for fans in a certain area in the US. Who knows eventually you will meet up with some in real life and can go to MJ party's or just hang around at someone's house watching MJ vids all day :)

Hey people > :better:
bearhug.sml.gif
:give_heart:

I do not know what to say about it :( *big sigh* .... It's all so sad, Michael should be here yet. :cry:

something like that is happening to me...i'm senior high school student. even though i have no problems being an mj fan in my school , it's way different at my house...i recently move from new york (my best friend was an huge mj fan...it was great,really great,we had so much fun) to las vegas with my mom. as you all know there's a fan fest and immortal tour here. and i'm very excited with all this, but my mom is not, i had begged my mom to let me go to the tour. to her it's a waste of money, but i convinced her. BUT there's also the fan fest...and i told her is really important to me and people are travelling from around the country to see it, and i'm right here 30 min away,etc...she said to me "what!, there's no way you are going to the fan fest...why you wanna go anyways, just to see his stuff, it's just some clothing,nothing special". she just doesn't get what it means to me...it's not just it's everything, i can't but anything that has mj on, because she would get so mad, even though it's not even her money...i can't talk about mj either,it's just so frustating. i wish i could find an mj fan like my friend i had in new york...

While Michael was depicted by tabloids as some kind of weirdo/sexual deviant/freak, his fans have always been portrayed as hysterical idiots. Nothing has changed. We all went through what you're going through now at one point since hell broke loose in the 80's.

All I can tell you is you're not alone, there are millions of people like you. :) And be proud, always be proud of him. You have seen something others havent. Can you imagine your life without Michael? Can you imagine what they're missing? I feel sorry for all those people. That incredible joy Michael gives is a light that illuminates our lives. Be glad you have that.
I dont care what others think about me, I wear my shirts like a flag. They can stare all they want. We have something so precious they have no clue about. Yes, be proud.

Last edited:
@Courtney :heart:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns with us.I don't say I don't understand you, although I don't have that kind of problems because everyone I know loves or at least admires and respects Michael even though they are not fans, but you shouldn't feel so discouraged.:no:

You must be strong and stick on to your beliefs no matter how hard it might look.You don't have to give a s**t about what haters have to say you need to have "rhinoceros skin" :yes:
And you have to show them all that you are proud to be a Michael Jackson fan, in every possible way you could think of.

And always remember this

''If you are my fan I consider you as my family, blood related''
?"I want you to know that I appreciate my fans not just on occasions like this - but every day of my life. It is your presence, your faith and your loyalty that has given me great strength during difficult times, and it was you who inspired me to work hard and deliver, I owe you."
?"You make me so happy. I can feel your energy through the walls. The sky is the limit. Higher contioucness. Always working hard as always, Music, Films, Performance. I love You. Michael Jackson"
?"I always say to my fans 'Let's have a tabloid burning. Let's make a big mountain out of tabloids and just burn them.' The real fans who love me know that garbage isn't true. They know. They're smart."
?"And I just hope that one day that they will be fair, and portraying me the way I really, really am; just a loving, peaceful guy, wanting to make a wonderful, unprecedented entertainment in songs and music and film, uh, for the world."

?"I feel they are the best fans in the world."

"You can't hurt me. I found peace within myself."

?"The deeper I go into myself, the stronger I become, because I realize that
my real self is much bigger than any fear."

Last edited:
Courtney, first of all, it's a good thing that you got it all off your chest right here. I appreciate that.
I felt so alone esp. on the day of his passing and some months after, but I've never experienced anything as horrible as what you went through, like those insensitive and condescending remarks you heard.

Just know that you are not alone. As you said, sometimes, no, many times, it would feel like me against the world when it comes to being an MJ fan and some other things in life.
When you're in that desolate place, seek out those who would be willing to listen to you.
It'd be best if you could find them around you, but if that's not the case, you can always count on people like the rest of us, those far away from you but at times can be closer to you than anyone else could ever be in your daily life.
I myself didn't really believe in that much before his passing, but I can see it clearly now.

And as claudia quoted the "rhinoceros skin" and the rest, think of the whole thing as a learning experience. We, as MJ fans, are growing a thicker skin together.
We're all in this together.
It never changes as long as it's true that it's Michael who got us into all this, not becuz of anything or anyone else.

*not trying to make a speech out of it, just speaking from the heart
;D

Last edited:
I feel the same way, being young and in my senior year i fell that the world or most of the people i know are aganist my musical taste. Ive heard it all: Pedo, Druggie....idk i feel the exact same way. Thanks for making this post. I fully understand what you mean. It seems that everyone has something to say about MJ, and im one of the onl ones i know saying anything positive or upbeat. But i got Hold my Hand to be my Classes class song...so not everyone dislikes Michael as much as i once thought. :(

Fans are all around you, they come in all forms.. I can tell you after highschool I have found a lot more people brave enough to say it loud and proud.. You go to someones house and you see there computer, there is Michael.. you go to a club and Michael plays EVERYONE moves.. People change so much after high school and those same people are closet fans.

I promise you that things will change within the next few years.. im 26 and I will say I have met fans for sure! Not as crazy in love as me, but definatly MJ lovers.. I have found the best way to meet fans though is to make fans of people.. I have made so many people fans of Michael.

^ they are still trying to fit in.. most have not found themselves yet..

I have found it..

JR high kids experiment
Highschool they look for themselves
college they find themselves

For the most part.. there are the special ones who learn who they are young and not afraid of what others will think.. those are usually the future leader figures. (not meaning in a political sence) But the ones that become the cool ones that have "fan" friends..

Courtney :better:
Thanks for sharing your story with us and indeed remember YOU ARE NOT ALONE... Since, you love Michael with all your heart, you're part of the BIG MJ Fam :wub:
I can really relate to the things you're saying here...

When I'm out and about in the REAL world... I feel ALONE and TAINTED too... and then I pop in MJJC :heart: and I'm HOME...
So ALWAYS know you have a HOME here where we understand you...

I HOPE that you do meet fans in 'flesh' where you can 'goof' with and in the meantime, have fun here...
Please feel loved here... You can always PM me if you feel alone and I'll :tease:you...

Next year, I'll love Michael for 30 years... Michael is another part of me... You can't handle that, then tough... is my motto!
I'm PROUD to be a MICHAEL's CHILD as I was 'nicknamed' in high school...

Just BE YOURSELF...
BE HAPPY and SMILE... it will 'confuse' your enemy... :beee:

Hello everybody,

I know I'm very very late and I'm sorry if I'm bumping up this months old thread. I have been without a computer for four months and was unable to be on MJJC at all during that period. However, I remembered this thread because my feelings haven't changed and neither have the people in my surroundings. I've read through every wonderful post in this thread from you lovely fans and I would just like to say thank you so much. It's so relaxing for me to know that I am not alone in this. Your support in this thread means so much to me. The journey as a Michael fan can be uneasy at times but all of the fans are in it together.

Hello everybody,

I know I'm very very late and I'm sorry if I'm bumping up this months old thread. I have been without a computer for four months and was unable to be on MJJC at all during that period. However, I remembered this thread because my feelings haven't changed and neither have the people in my surroundings. I've read through every wonderful post in this thread from you lovely fans and I would just like to say thank you so much. It's so relaxing for me to know that I am not alone in this. Your support in this thread means so much to me. The journey as a Michael fan can be uneasy at times but all of the fans are in it together.

FOUR months without net access :swoon: OMG...
Welcome back, Hun and indeed... Stick with your beliefs and in time people will HONOUR you for it...

Hope you're okay though...

:better: from Daryll.

Courtney, I know what you feel.
There are hundreds and hundreds of MJ fans here in Brazil, but I don't know any of them personally. There aren't many fans in my region I think. People used to joke on me a lot because of Michael, but I made most of them shut their mouths before saying these things. Don't ask me how... they probably got tired, and I could show some of them how talented and special MJ is.
You are not alone!

Hi I'm new here but I've felt the same for years, i had one friend who has a fan but not on the same level. My cousin in a big fan now but living in scotland she's a bit too far away!
Id love to meet someone who who i could just discuss him with but I don't think its meant to be, thats why i am trying to integrate myself here so i have somewhere to talk about him. I get ignored a lot and i can't stand it!

Hi I'm new here but I've felt the same for years, i had one friend who has a fan but not on the same level. My cousin in a big fan now but living in scotland she's a bit too far away!
Id love to meet someone who who i could just discuss him with but I don't think its meant to be, thats why i am trying to integrate myself here so i have somewhere to talk about him. I get ignored a lot and i can't stand it!

I've felt this way for a long time but, whenever I am feeling lost or alone, I know that I can turn to my MJ family. Have you tried looking on meetup.com or any other websites like that to find fans in your area?

Hello Zoe :ciao:

All you NEED is US dear... We're the MJ Family :heart: HERE is your HOME...

I know all about 'levels' :doh:

WELCOME Hun :better:

All MJ fans: I love you! I may not know you in person, but knowing you are also MJ fans, means you are caring, loyal, interested in the truth, wanting to make the world a better place, including and loving people! Some other people just don't get it, they are brainwashed by the tabloid press and they don't look further then the surface. I know it can be hard esp when it's your family that's against MJ. My best advice to you is to feel sorry for them that they don't (yet?) see the light and just try to set the best example you can, maybe collecting money for a good cause (like unicef or something) in Michael's name. Or just doing good deeds from time to time, it feels good and you don't need any recognition from others because you know it's right. L.O.V.E.

Indeed, the MAIN thing is "BE MICHAEL LIKE" :wub:

Make L.O.V.E your weapon and show the world what Michael 'taught' you :cheeky:

Hi Courtney,
I understand how you feel hun. Just always keep your head up and smile for Michael :) I know all too well how difficult this
can be at times- especially in circumstances as you mentioned. Do not ever feel that you are alone- you are not alone.
I have friends who acknowledge and respect the fact that I am an MJ fan, but they are not MJ fans. Thankfully, they do
respect Michael and never say anything bad about him around me. My parents were not quite as keen on my love for Michael
in the beginning, but have now grown to love him because they see his goodness as I do. They also have truly opened their
eyes to see just how much he means to me. Still, I have lots of days where I just wish some MJ fans would come my way.
Someday I greatly anticipate attending MJ events and getting the chance to meet lots of MJ fans in person. In the meantime,
I just pray for the blessing of meeting more fans all the time- be it in nearby or online

Back