Iconic Michael Jackson Jacket Goes up for Action

CherubimII

Proud Member
Iconic Michael Jackson Jacket Goes up for Action

_131386082_hi088558571.jpg.webp

By Ruth Comerford
BBC News

An iconic jacket once worn by pop star Michael Jackson is set to go up for auction in London in November.
The item featured in a Pepsi commercial in 1984 and is among more than 200 pieces of music memorabilia being sold.
The black-and-white leather jacket, which was custom-made for Jackson for the commercial, is listed for between £200,000 ($245,000) and £400,000.
It came from the first in a series of ads for the soft drink that featured the superstar.

The commercials are chiefly remembered now because, during one filming session, Jackson's hair caught fire and he suffered burn injuries after a pyrotechnic malfunction.
However, he was wearing a different jacket on that occasion.

The item will be auctioned by costume and prop vendor Propstore, along with George Michael's La Rocka jacket, which he wore while duetting with Aretha Franklin in 1987. Also up for grabs is a beehive hairpiece used by Amy Winehouse in 2007 for the music video of You Know I'm No Good, which featured on her last album Back To Black.

Other memorabilia going under the hammer include items relating to David Bowie, Elvis Presley and The Beatles.
A Gibson guitar that belonged to AC/DC's Angus Young could fetch up to £120,000, while a belt buckle that belonged to John Lennon is estimated at up to £60,000.
Mark Hochman, director of music and posters at Propstore, said bidding would be "highly competitive".
"For many of these exclusive lots, it is the first time they have been offered for sale to the public," he said.

Memorabilia belonging to Michael Jackson has previously sold for thousands.
The black fedora hat that he wore just before performing his famous moonwalk dance for the first time in 1983 sold at an auction in Paris last month for €77,640 (£67,088; $82,280).

Ok this is about the hat not the jacket but I thought his black fedora would be more expensive because it's really, REALLY, iconic

Truly cringeworthy Diabetes Generation ad.
MJ's Pepsi involvement has caused untold health problems to millions. Silent stories, never told.
I would consider the jacket Bad Energy.
Sorry but I have to disagree on the first statement (besides that fact that the soda causes health problems. That's true) the Billie Jean Pepsi version is quite catchy. You're a whole new generation, you're dancin' through the day, you're grabbin' for the magic on the run, you're a whole new generation, you're lovin' what you do, put a Pepsi in the motion, the choose is up to you, hey-ey, You're the Pepsi generation, guzzle down and taste the thrill of the day, and feel the Pepsi way, taste the thrill of the day, and feel the Pepsi way, you're a whole new generation, you're a whole new generation, you're a whole new generation

not sure how I wrote that whole thing and did not give up.

Sorry but I have to disagree on the first statement (besides that fact that the soda causes health problems. That's true) the Billie Jean Pepsi version is quite catchy. You're a whole new generation, you're dancin' through the day, you're grabbin' for the magic on the run, you're a whole new generation, you're lovin' what you do, put a Pepsi in the motion, the choose is up to you, hey-ey, You're the Pepsi generation, guzzle down and taste the thrill of the day, and feel the Pepsi way, taste the thrill of the day, and feel the Pepsi way, you're a whole new generation, you're a whole new generation, you're a whole new generation

not sure how I wrote that whole thing and did not give up.
The changing of the lyrics of his song for a Diabetes Accelerant is cringe. No shame with ads, that's MJ.

MJ's Pepsi involvement has caused untold health problems to millions. Silent stories, never told.
Hey, that First Pepsi commercial was brilliant!

Ps, I'm drinking it right now 😁

The jacket btw, I instantly thought of it from the making of thriller video rather than the Pepsi advert.

Hmm I'm gonna make a bid, I could use some help Saturday nights in the club...

Very curious for how much it goes...

I do not agree with this, parents are the ones who should control what children eat and drink, obviously celebrities in commercials can make children want it but parents are the ones who should give permission to drink those drinks.

you have a point there. however, this wasn’t the first time that michael (and his brothers) did this
I love this! Thanks for sharing! I'm happy to say I grew up with all these ads (Pepsi, Dr. Pepper and all the terrible, terrible stuff) and to this day I still don't drink the stuff and never drank it growing up.

I don't like soda. Not sure how others love it. How does soda relate to Michael's jacket up for action?

in the early 80’s michael was known for drinking carrot juice, and fasting on sundays while dancing. he was health conscious. this endorsement contradicted that. which is why he was against it, and had it written into his contract that he would not be seen holding, or drinking a can of pepsi.

it’s amazing that despite michael’s unprecedented fame at the time, there were still problems with getting a decent sponsor for the ‘victory’ tour. this video goes into greater detail (no pun intended ha) about that.

Alright, y’all. Christmas is coming up. What’s say we all throw in a couple dollars so I can get this? Thanks in advance!

Christmas
(ok I'm off topic but I just have too)
WHAT ABOUT HALLOWEEN???? THANKSGIVING?? SO WHAT IF YOU'RE NOT AMERICAN THANKSGIVING IS STILL A HOLIDAY. BUT HALLOWEEN IS IN 16 DAYS. WHY DOES EVERYONE FORGET ABOUT HALLOWEEN????????????????????? WE HAVE THRILLER FOR PETE'S SAKE! jack the skeleton is VERY mad right now.
This is why my favorite holiday is Halloween. Halloween all the way thru #Ilovehalloween

(ok I'm off topic but I just have too)
WHAT ABOUT HALLOWEEN???? THANKSGIVING?? SO WHAT IF YOU'RE NOT AMERICAN THANKSGIVING IS STILL A HOLIDAY. BUT HALLOWEEN IS IN 16 DAYS. WHY DOES EVERYONE FORGET ABOUT HALLOWEEN????????????????????? WE HAVE THRILLER FOR PETE'S SAKE! jack the skeleton is VERY mad right now.
This is why my favorite holiday is Halloween. Halloween all the way thru #Ilovehalloween
Maybe because he wants it as a gift and you don't give gifts on halloween and thanksgivng, like you do on christmas

this is the man selling the jacket, and who appears in some of the pictures with michael. the two of them were friends when he was a child.

Back