Iranian refugee who had never heard of Michael Jackson now makes a living impersonating the King

Paris78

Proud Member
Donations
$240.00
Video: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...ael-jackson-impersonator-20150812-giw965.html

2B50351400000578-3195843-image-a-30_1439426659076.jpg

When Iranian refugee Abbas Sharhani spent three months in a Darwin detention centre, he was told how much he resembled Michael Jackson.

"Who?" he wondered.

The King of Pop was hardly known in the south of Iran where Sharhani lived as a member of the minority Ahwaz community until he fled as a 16-year-old, leaving his family behind. He made his way to Malaysia, Indonesia then Christmas Island by boat.
Advertisement

But when Sharhani watched Jackson's music videos as he settled into a new life in Australia, he became fascinated.

"I just loved him so much," he says. "I said to myself 'I just want to be that guy'."

After learning the dance moves from music videos, Sharhani is working as a Michael Jackson impersonator.

With his hair straightened and plastic surgery on his nose – his old one looked too much like his idol when he was black, he says – he calls himself Moon Jackson.

"I do the dances," he says. "I dress like him. Everything."

Well, not quite everything. Limited English restricts his singing, but he is working on it in the hope of getting more work at clubs and parties.

Now Sharhani's transformation from asylum seeker to the spitting image of the late pop star is the subject of a short documentary, Man in the Mirror, that will have its world premiere at the Arab Film Festival Australia, which opens at Parramatta's Riverside Theatres on Thursday. In Melbourne, the festival runs at Carlton's Cinema Nova from August 21 to 23 and in Canberra at the National Film and Sound Archive from August 28 to 30.

Sharhani, a 20-year-old from Warwick Farm in south-western Sydney, remembers being terrified on the boat with 50 other asylum seekers during the journey to Australia.

"I thought we were going to die," he says. "It was really dangerous. Three days, no food. I had nothing."

Sharhani's very western career choice – and the nose job it required – has upset his strict Muslim parents.

"They are like 'why would you impersonate someone you don't know?' " he says.

Even with a new career, Sharhani has found Australia a difficult place to live away from his family, describing himself as "one of the loneliest people on this earth".

Directed by fellow Iranian refugee Ali Mousawi, Man in the Mirror screens on Sunday, with Sharhani performing afterwards.

"I'm so excited for it," he says. "I can't wait."

Mousawi was shocked when he first met Sharhani through a mutual friend in Parramatta.

"He really looked like MJ," he says. "And he practised how to speak like him."

Festival co-director Fadia Abboud expects more than 2000 people will attend four days of screenings, including a big turnout by the Lebanese-Australian community for the Lebanese film Ghadi on opening night.

She expects one of the highlights will be the road movie From A To B from the United Arab Emirates. "It's like The Hangover without the alcohol," she says.

The festival also includes films from Jordan, Egypt, Palestine and Iraq.

Copyright © 2015 Fairfax Media

2B50886000000578-3195843-He_straightened_his_hair_and_earned_enough_money_to_have_plastic-a-2_1439430398151.jpg

2B50350400000578-3195843-image-m-32_1439426681390.jpg

2B50886800000578-3195843-The_documentary_Man_in_the_Mirror_opens_at_the_Riverside_Theatre-a-4_1439430408072.jpg

The documentary, Man in the Mirror, opens at the Riverside Theatres in Sydney on Thursday before heading to Melbourne and Canberra later this month

No, he doesn't, E. Casanova was the closest look a like in the Thriller and Bad era IMO. Maybe the Spanish impersonator, Sergio Cortés is a close second look a like but definately not this Iranian guy.

I'm glad Michael has helped him to improve his life but it pisses me off when media and even fans themselves say such ignorant and idiotic remark about his ethnicity. His vitiligo didn't change his DNA or ethnicity, it destroyed the pigment in the skin. White people have more melanin and pigment than albino or people with vitiligo universalis like Michael.

^^yeah, that's what I was thinking. MAQ said he looks nothing like MJ, and I thought he knows nothing about Michael either, if he says things like "when he was black."

Sorry, but that just really gets me worked up. So blasted stupid.

On the whole, I don't care about impersonators anyway. They always seem to go for a stereotype look. I don't really see the draw. I think I may be too close to it. I usually find Elvis impersonators funny, but then I was really, really little when he was big and just remember that my babysitter wanted to marry him.

people from all cultures and nationalities need to stop having plastic surgery trying to emulate others and simply learn to be themselves...

To me he kinda looked a little like Wylie Draper from the first pic.

^^yeah, that's what I was thinking. MAQ said he looks nothing like MJ, and I thought he knows nothing about Michael either, if he says things like "when he was black."

It's mentioned he has limited English, is it possible he didn't mean it to be insulting?

people from all cultures and nationalities need to stop having plastic surgery trying to emulate others and simply learn to be themselves...

I honestly don't get how you can be so overly-obsessed with someone that you literally spends thousands of dollars to permanently alter your face, in essence shedding your identity, just so you can look somewhat like them. It's honestly really really creepy and off-the-charts obsessive...

I'm not against impersonators; you know go ahead and change your hairstyle/outfit/makeup to look more like MJ but getting plastic surgery is just waaaayy too far. If you're really a good enough MJ impersonator, people will be able to look past your face.

Who are we to judge people's choices if they want go through plastic surgery or not? If these impersonators want to have it, it's their body, choice and money but many of them get it to look precisely how Michael didn't look, it's not the case of this guy from Iran but many of them look like wax dolls which is creepy.

I know that's another story but, are you gonna go and tell to transgender men or women who were born in the wrong body to "learn to be themselves" when a full body plastic surgery/reconstruction is the only way to match with their true selves?

I'm glad Michael has helped him to improve his life but it pisses me off when media and even fans themselves say such ignorant and idiotic remark about his ethnicity. His vitiligo didn't change his DNA or ethnicity, it destroyed the pigment in the skin. White people have more melanin and pigment than albino or people with vitiligo universalis like Michael.

Thank you. It would be like a white caucasian person getting a tan and not be referred to as white anymore but brown.

Thank you. It would be like a white caucasian person getting a tan and not be referred to as white anymore but brown.

Yeah. I don't mind if someone says "when he looked black" or "when he looked white" because well, visually, he did look white. The keyword being looked. He might have looked white but he was black until the day he died and proud of it.

^Healthy Caucasian people without a tan have more color than Michael. He was a black man void of color.

“Then of course, I noticed, because he didn’t have any makeup on, I noticed the Vitiligo. It was on the right hand side of his face and down his neck and also on the back of his hand. I don’t remember which one. I don’t know how far it went up his arm because he had a long sleeve shirt on, but I noticed the Vitiligo and as time went on, the Vitiligo spread and spread and spread and it was difficult for him when he had to appear in public or perform, to get the right kind of makeup, because…that skin was white, not like Caucasian white. It was white like a refrigerator, snow white. In the beginning, he did use darker makeup to cover that, but then as it spread, it got more and more difficult to make that white skin the color of the rest of his skin, so he would have to go to lighter and lighter and lighter makeup.”
“Of course the press got on him about that, about trying to be white, which is the farthest thing from the truth. Michael never wanted to be white. He was proud of who he was and where he came from, but he had no choice. He one thing he never ever did, he never complained about it. He had every right to.” -David Nordahl

Plastic surgery for the purpose of "improving" one's self image serves to be a detriment in the long run......and this goes for people of all cultures, nationalities and racial backgrounds......we need to learn how to accept ourselves naturally and society should be encouraged to appreciate people in their natural state, and we will all be happy in the end where we don't bring up the subject of judging someone because for those who continuously altering their appearance, ultimately, they are judging themselves

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;4103891 said:
^Healthy Caucasian people without a tan have more color than Michael. He was a black man void of color.

“Then of course, I noticed, because he didn’t have any makeup on, I noticed the Vitiligo. It was on the right hand side of his face and down his neck and also on the back of his hand. I don’t remember which one. I don’t know how far it went up his arm because he had a long sleeve shirt on, but I noticed the Vitiligo and as time went on, the Vitiligo spread and spread and spread and it was difficult for him when he had to appear in public or perform, to get the right kind of makeup, because…that skin was white, not like Caucasian white. It was white like a refrigerator, snow white. In the beginning, he did use darker makeup to cover that, but then as it spread, it got more and more difficult to make that white skin the color of the rest of his skin, so he would have to go to lighter and lighter and lighter makeup.”
“Of course the press got on him about that, about trying to be white, which is the farthest thing from the truth. Michael never wanted to be white. He was proud of who he was and where he came from, but he had no choice. He one thing he never ever did, he never complained about it. He had every right to.” -David Nordahl

Very much agree with the bolded part. He did not look "caucasian white" it was as you put it, white as a refrigerator because he was devoid of color as you can see in this pic below. I have the utmost respect for MJ. Even though he had to endure a lot he never stopped smiling or having fun or stopped being himself. That's true strength.

Michael-And-R-B-Vocal-Group-Boyz-II-Men-michael-jackson-33613437-640-431.jpg

Plastic surgery for the purpose of "improving" one's self image serves to be a detriment in the long run......and this goes for people of all cultures, nationalities and racial backgrounds......we need to learn how to accept ourselves naturally and society should be encouraged to appreciate people in their natural state, and we will all be happy in the end where we don't bring up the subject of judging someone because for those who continuously altering their appearance, ultimately, they are judging themselves

Nonsense. I know people who have had plastic surgery to improve their looks/self-image and they're happy with the results, it's made them happier and more confident. Hell, I'm one of them. There is a difference between getting a few surgeries to boost your looks/confidence and going overboard by refining your face every 2.3 months (or so that you look like Michael Jackson).

^^I agree. It would be a perfect world if we could all love ourselves and others for what's inside, not outside.
But nothing worse than something making you feel even more insecure and shy and unable to look at people.
I'd have cosmetic surgery in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

I'm more shocked there's a place on the world that hasn't heard of Michael Jackson! That's the real story here!!

Nonsense. I know people who have had plastic surgery to improve their looks/self-image and they're happy with the results, it's made them happier and more confident. Hell, I'm one of them. There is a difference between getting a few surgeries to boost your looks/confidence and going overboard by refining your face every 2.3 months (or so that you look like Michael Jackson).

Its not nonsense, for every person who is said to be happy from the results, you have 3 people who are not, especially for an industry that preys on the insecurities of people who wind up having botched surgeries time and time again

Impersonators are just creepy. Dude is nothing like Mj. It's laughable and makes me cring. Find a different job dude. Smfh

Its not nonsense, for every person who is said to be happy from the results, you have 3 people who are not, especially for an industry that preys on the insecurities of people who wind up having botched surgeries time and time again

It is nonsense to say it's detrimental on the whole though. To some people? Yes. To many? No.

Let's be honest, it's a practise where the results will widely vary, and said results will depend on a huge amount of factors. I've spent a short while reading up on people's thoughts on their plastic surgery and a good percentage of what I've read are people who are happy with their results. In fact we've gotten to the point where you honestly wouldn't be able to notice the vast majority of plastic surgery that happens, and doing a quick Google to see what those who have undergone it have to say shows that many people are happier and more confident as a result.

One can't deny that there are many negatives to it as well. Yes, Like with many other things in life, there are people who will become addicted to it. Yes, there are people who aren't satisfied with their results and seek further surgery. Yes, like with every kind of surgery, there are risks involved and there's also going to be blotched plastic surgeries (there are steps one can take to help prevent blotched surgeries though). My point is that it's a practise where results very clearly vary and you simply cannot use a blanket term by say it is detrimental on the whole, like your first post said/implied. It has been detrimental to many people, but it has been the complete opposite for millions of other people too.

In a perfect world we wouldn't judge people by the way they look on the outside (like barbee said), but unfortunately that's not how the world works. Plastic surgery has helped millions and millions of people to feel more confident in their bodies (in addition to medical benefits, but I imagine we're focusing on those who change it purely for cosmetic reasons). It's a practise that has it's pros and cons and is very much a polarising subject with varying results, but the way I see it, if you can afford it and it makes you happier, then you should go for it. You absolutely have to understand the risks involved though.

Last edited:
I'm more shocked there's a place on the world that hasn't heard of Michael Jackson! That's the real story here!!

I have a hard time believing it, to be honest.

When I looked into Michael's country by country YouTube's stats one of the things that stood out was that he seemed to be a lot more popular in countries of non-Western culture than most other Western artists are. One of those things I noted was how he seemed to be a lot more popular in Muslim countries than Western artists usually are.

I wonder how good his dancing skill are if he's able to make a living off of it! I mean, good for him of course but yeah, he looks nothing like Michael.. then again, nobody does, I don't know why these impersonators even try tbh :p

I have the utmost respect for MJ. Even though he had to endure a lot he never stopped smiling or having fun or stopped being himself. That's true strength.

100% agreed:yes: I can't even imagine what it must have taken for him to stay true to himself, with the whole world watching & judging, and ALL the shit he got for it.. as you said, that's true strength! Very inspiring, it might be one of the biggest reasons why I admire him so much.

I wonder how good his dancing skill are if he's able to make a living off of it! I mean, good for him of course but yeah, he looks nothing like Michael.. then again, nobody does, I don't know why these impersonators even try tbh :p

Michael had this really special thing about the way he dances. I really can't put it to words, but I know it when I see it and I've never seen anyone else pull it off when they dance his style. I'm sure you know all what I mean?

I remember this article did an excellent job of going in-depth on his dancing and I think somewhere it describes what I meant (I haven't read it for a few months though) :p

^Oh yeah, I absolutely know what you mean..! He has that special something besides his incredible skills & technique which no one will ever be able to imitate cause they're not him.
Since the guy doesn't even look a tiny bit like Michael I was guessing maybe he was at least a good dancer, but then I saw that video of him and..:blink: not really, lol.

maybe he said he never heard of Michael Jackson just to get attention

I'm all about having fun impersonating MJ, I do it myself sometimes, even go as far as to wear the jackets and glove and whatnot on special occasions. However, getting plastic surgery to attempt to look like him is going too far. It's a waste of money and no matter how much you do, you will never be him. Make your own path in life, make YOUR given name mean something. If you want to be famous and admired that bad, work hard, be original, and don't try to be the next Michael Jackson, be the first you.

It is nonsense to say it's detrimental on the whole though. To some people? Yes. To many? No.

Let's be honest, it's a practise where the results will widely vary, and said results will depend on a huge amount of factors. I've spent a short while reading up on people's thoughts on their plastic surgery and a good percentage of what I've read are people who are happy with their results. In fact we've gotten to the point where you honestly wouldn't be able to notice the vast majority of plastic surgery that happens, and doing a quick Google to see what those who have undergone it have to say shows that many people are happier and more confident as a result.

One can't deny that there are many negatives to it as well. Yes, Like with many other things in life, there are people who will become addicted to it. Yes, there are people who aren't satisfied with their results and seek further surgery. Yes, like with every kind of surgery, there are risks involved and there's also going to be blotched plastic surgeries (there are steps one can take to help prevent blotched surgeries though). My point is that it's a practise where results very clearly vary and you simply cannot use a blanket term by say it is detrimental on the whole, like your first post said/implied. It has been detrimental to many people, but it has been the complete opposite for millions of other people too.

In a perfect world we wouldn't judge people by the way they look on the outside (like barbee said), but unfortunately that's not how the world works. Plastic surgery has helped millions and millions of people to feel more confident in their bodies (in addition to medical benefits, but I imagine we're focusing on those who change it purely for cosmetic reasons). It's a practise that has it's pros and cons and is very much a polarising subject with varying results, but the way I see it, if you can afford it and it makes you happier, then you should go for it. You absolutely have to understand the risks involved though.

that's the thing, it doesn't take having to live in a perfect world for this to be possible

based on years of following this dynamic, especially when it concerns the world of entertainment, plastic surgery has acted as more of a detriment because the onus is taken away from talent to that of image, and the greater public as a whole, society in general, and those these entertainers are having the surgeries to attract have shifted their focus as well as everything starts from the source of conversation

and the large list of celebrities, singers, entertainers who have prolonged surgeries, what these surgeons are withholding from them is the fact that extensive surgery and cosmetic alterations not only cause long term complications regarding health, but accelerate the aging process, which leads to a perpetual cycle of trying to maintain appearance by undergoing corrective procedures and that's when it's a no win at that point

and with the proliferation of people following the trend, there is no way all these surgeons who are more than willing, no way are they all board certified, that's why we are seeing all these botched outcomes....

it does not require a perfect world to accept each other for who we are naturally, the question is why aren't we doing it

I read articles all the time where different cultures of people around the world from South America to Africa to Asia feel compelled to alter their look to feel accepted by a standard of beauty that has been indoctrinated to them over the past 20 years or so whereas before, this was not a problem....

I wanna see where this kid ends up in 10 years? I think he was 6 at the time? In some of his other videos, he's got more MJ choreography down than some adults I've seen :p

This kid is certainly adorable, but I got this eerie flashback of Wade doing his Michael shtick as a 6 year old on "Star Search" so I had to wipe it out of my mind. But I was thinking about the Iranian young man today and I think the movie/doc is supposed to be positive-how he was a refugee with nothing-he saw something that gave him hope for the future, and he's working hard at it to become something of himself.

You never know about impersonators-Bruno Mars was a baby Elvis one and look at him today!! And if you stretch it, you could even say Michael himself, was a baby James Brown one. LOL.

(I love this little kid's red fedora).

Back