Is 70s retro feeling the new trend? What about riding that with an Off The Wall anniversary release?

HIStory

Proud Member
I just saw Bruno Mars' new video

It's clearly a 70s disco era retro feeling stuff. And I think it's starting to be a trend now. Also with songs like Daft Punk's Get Lucky.

And I was thinking about how Off The Wall's 35th anniversary is around the corner and whether the Estate could ride what appears to be a new wave of disco era revival? If they are doing it cleverly, of course. With unreleased songs from that era - and they need to make a GOOD and CREATIVE video to one of them.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Even if it was already released on the Ultimate Collection it's not a song that is known to the wider public, so I could actually see Sunset Driver work pretty well on the charts with a new, cool video if this disco era nostalgia/revival gets real.

What a great idea! I'd love to see a re-release of off the wall. It's such a great album, I think it gets forgotten by some people. Unfortunately I can't see the estate re-releasing it any time soon. :(

I like Daft Punk now actually. But Get Lucky, it sounds as if ive heard some of it before. :unsure:

I figure that if an Off the Wall re-issue is in the cards they won't label it as an anniversary, just a normal re-release. A 35th anniversary of an album seems weird to celebrate. Besides, Michael was in discussion with Sony about an Off the Wall 30 from November 2008 to his death, and rumor has it that the compilation never came to be because there is a major lack of existing material from those recording sessions. I'm sure that giving us a re-release of an album we already have with no new music wouldn't go over well with the fans.

Off the Wall has never been my favorite album either way so I could do without it :p

No wonder I've been getting so many compliments on my afro lol. :upside_down:

I just saw Bruno Mars' new video

It's clearly a 70s disco era retro feeling stuff. And I think it's starting to be a trend now. Also with songs like Daft Punk's Get Lucky.

And I was thinking about how Off The Wall's 35th anniversary is around the corner and whether the Estate could ride what appears to be a new wave of disco era revival? If they are doing it cleverly, of course. With unreleased songs from that era - and they need to make a GOOD and CREATIVE video to one of them.

What do you think?

I love the way Bruno made the video look like a 70s Video Tape :) Off The Wall 40 for me though, I want them
to pack everything they can into that re release :)

Good idea indeed, but don't expect anything from the Estate.

Nice idea indeed. Yeah, elements of disco do seem to be getting quite popular at the moment. With Off The Wall being a timeless classic, I think this could really do well at the moment if it is given the right promotion.

Nice idea indeed. Yeah, elements of disco do seem to be getting quite popular at the moment. With Off The Wall being a timeless classic, I think this could really do well at the moment if it is given the right promotion.

I agree

[youtube]IsUsVbTj2AY[/youtube]

Bruno Mars even sports a hairstyle that reminds me of Michael's Off The Wall era hair. LOL.

iTunes Top 10 Pop Albums
#10 Off The Wall : France

iTunes Top 100 Downloads (Albums)
#81 Off The Wall : France

Without any anniversary or anything. I really think the Estate/Sony could do something good and successful with Off The Wall now. Timinig is always very important and I feel like the public is very receptive of that kind of music now. Of course, it has to be done cleverly and creatively - something that wasn't really the strength of the Estate so far.

I'm not hating on edm or electronica, but I'm glad to hear music sounding like MUSIC again lol, like you can hear actual instruments being played...:music:

Current Justin Timberlake tweets:

Justin Timberlake?@JTimberlakeTeam2h
The first single from The 20/20 Experience Part 2 is "coming soon" according to a program director at 103.3 AMP radio.

ustin Timberlake?@JTimberlakeTeam2h
The first single from The 20/20 Experience Part 2 is set to have an 80s, Michael Jackson "Off The Wall" type of sound.

Dan Mason?@djdan103322m
@intheneonlights if "suit &tie" is more 70s flavored, this single is more 80's. think MJ's "off the wall".

The Estate should really ride this wave of disco nostalgia. New songs are being put out with the "OTW sound", so it's the right time to do something with the original OTW album IMO. OTW sound is in trend NOW!

They already gave us an Off The Wall Reissue. What a fantastic job. Now let's beg for another.

Sony have already messed up plenty of albums by MJ/The Jacksons. There's plenty of other great 70s music. Perhaps it's Motown's turn to do something with GIT, Dancing Machine. or Moving Violation.

Back