Is MJ a Socially Aware Black Artist to You or Not Really?

MJ was absolutely AWARE (just read his manifest from 1987). But I also believe he had some deep personal issues with his identity as a black man.

Speaking of politics, what a horrible situation you Yanks find yourself in with the next presidential election.

Sleepy old man Biden or Trump 😯 if I was American, I think I'd want the Donald back.

Slightly disagreeing with both of these comments. Michael would have been politically neutral bc of his Jehovah's Witness faith - or at least he would have maintained a neutral stance in public. That doesn't mean he wasn't politically aware. I'd be willing to bet that he was.

Mr JT, I'm not trying to teach you about the JW faith. As if! But I think lack of awareness and being neutral are two different things.

I'm glad Michael refused to be drawn on politics. Even in the 2005 Geraldo interview, long after he had left the church, he politely sidesteps the politics question.
Politically uninvolved, might be the better word then. Me personally, I don't dwell on certain things just by virtue of it being too depressing. MJ obviously cared a lot about environment and really hated the wars. And since he more or less became a "free agent" later in life, he really didn't have to maintain neutrality; that was his personal stance and choice.

No. We're not gonna talk about this.
It's wild though the potential outcome, neither is a good choice.

Biden honestly looks like he is ready for a care home , he's just too old and the mind doesn't seem sharp enough to be the head of the most powerful nation in the world.

Politically uninvolved, might be the better word then. Me personally, I don't dwell on certain things just by virtue of it being too depressing. MJ obviously cared a lot about environment and really hated the wars. And since he more or less became a "free agent" later in life, he really didn't have to maintain neutrality; that was his personal stance and choice.
Just because somebody leaves the church doesn't necessarily mean they just abandon all of the teachings altogether. There are a lot of people who stopped following organized religion but still pray to God & Jesus and read the bible.

Just because somebody leaves the church doesn't necessarily mean they just abandon all of the teachings altogether. There are a lot of people who stopped following organized religion but still pray to God & Jesus and read the bible.
That is the case for many. For Michael I think also that is true. But it happens just as often that people disavow most or all spirituality. Either permanently or for a time. But you never know what's on a person's mind full time anyway.

It's wild though the potential outcome, neither is a good choice.

Biden honestly looks like he is ready for a care home , he's just too old and the mind doesn't seem sharp enough to be the head of the most powerful nation in the world.
What did I just say?

Michael supporting women.

I think this image from 1991 speaks for itself. Seemed like a good thing to post on International Women's Day, 2024. :)

GIKxAMzWAAAE65G

Last edited:
i ask this because Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Curtis Mayfield amongest others are considered Socially aware Black Artists but you never hear MJ mentioned in that discussion. now "We Are the World" brought all people together but it was a Black statement with MJ and Lionel Richie writing it together and Quincy Jones Producing it. Can You Feel it, they don't care about us, Jam. He has been socially aware from a Black Perspective,but he never hardly gets acknowledged in this? care to speak on this.
We've Had Enough shows, he was aware:
She innocently questioned why
Why her father had to die
She asked the men in blue
How is it that you get to choose
Who will live and who will die
Did god say that you could decide?
You saw he didn't run
And that my daddy had no gun

^^^Mistermaxxx hasn't been here in years. So you're replying to a ghost. :D I think he had a Youtube channel when he used to post here, but don't know if that is still active either.

Michael was never and will never be seen as a serious songwriter so as a result you won’t find his name next to Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield and Stevie Wonder in regard of social awareness. It is basically the curse of a pop artist who has a legion of screaming fans running behind him.

By Suharsh Sinha, 2020

"Released in 1991 as part of the album, Dangerous – ‘ Black or White ’ by Michael Jackson was one of the greatest chartbusters of the 90s and I remember watching it over and over again as a kid. 1991 was a time when cable TV had just hit our shores and MTV used to still play music. Transitioning from a staid Doordarshan era when Prasar Bharti babus DJed the weekly Chitrahaar, MTV was a like a hurricane inside our primitive TV sets. Madonna, Guns and Roses, MJ, Queen and Aerosmith exploded in our drawing rooms with glitsy music videos. While the other pop stars of the era were far less political, MJ’s songs showed a clear political arc. Music videos like ‘Bad’ and ‘Beat It’ touched on race and class conflict in urban America in the 1980s. But in the early 90s his videos went beyond domestic strife and addressed a global audience. Revisiting the ‘Black or White’ video in 2020, it is difficult to ignore its benign yet strong political undertones. It serves as an accurate reflection of the liberal world view of the tectonic shifts taking place in global affairs."

Michael was never and will never be seen as a serious songwriter so as a result you won’t find his name next to Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield and Stevie Wonder in regard of social awareness. It is basically the curse of a pop artist who has a legion of screaming fans running behind him.
I don't disagree with this but, tbf, the thread title was asking people if they think Michael was socially aware. To me he always was.

could be true, but he wrote Earth Song - a damn serious songs
Even other contributors on the song think the song is a giant lump of cheese lyrically. I forgot his name but this is the opinion of the guy playing bass on earth song

Abstract: This month, MJ Studies Today columnist Kerry Hennigan considers some of the protest songs and singers of the Sixties that paved the way for later socially conscious material like the Jacksons’ 1980 recording “Can You Feel It,” written by Michael Jackson and his brother Jackie. Years before “Man in the Mirror, this particular song demonstrates Michael’s early concepts for using music, live performance, and film to advocate for a better world.
https://michaeljacksonstudies.org/mj-studies-today-xciv/

Even other contributors on the song think the song is a giant lump of cheese lyrically. I forgot his name but this is the opinion of the guy playing bass on earth song
Quincy Jones didn't like Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal, or Another Part of Me, that just doesn't mean much. Earth Song is a phenomenal piece of music.

i ask this because Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Curtis Mayfield amongest others are considered Socially aware Black Artists but you never hear MJ mentioned in that discussion. now "We Are the World" brought all people together but it was a Black statement with MJ and Lionel Richie writing it together and Quincy Jones Producing it. Can You Feel it, they don't care about us, Jam. He has been socially aware from a Black Perspective,but he never hardly gets acknowledged in this? care to speak on this.
I feel Michael's "black experience" was very different from Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and Curtis Mayfield's, for several reasons:

1. Michael was "rescued" from the "ghetto" at the age of 12 and was plopped into the lap of luxury which protected him from most of the every day problems of life as a "black" person, so he was open at an early age

2. Thus, he was raised in a very diverse environment, a largely Jewish, white and latin community, so his values encompassed a universal love and his religion taught that one day everyone will live in peace as one so he "preached" that, in songs like Can You Feel It etc.

(in early interviews of Ebony/Jet he said that his favorite song was, Black Man by Stevie Wonder expressing Michael's deep appreciation for the immense contributions made by black inventors, showing a huge part of where his heart was, as with the Manifesto)

3. By the time he wrote Black or White, his skin disorder was turning him black AND white and being the creative he was, and desiring universal love like he did, he leaned towards that all the moreso, therefore music critics would not place him in the "black empowerment" category

Last edited:
Back