Is the Estate still planning to release HIStory Tour 3D?

mjj19582009

Proud Member
John Branca had said after BAD 25 there would be a theatrical run of the HIStory Tour in Munich 3D but, so far I haven't heard anything about it. Any updates?

No updates from the Estate on that project. Branca said he was considering it for the future. I didn't know he said a theatrical run though.. Does anyone have that video of Spike and Branca speaking at the UK showing of BAD 25 documentary. I think that is where he mentioned it.

I think he told Jesta or Stella about it. Can't remember if there was a video.

I think that lots of fans were against it's release so the estate may not end up releasing it after all, and that's a good thing. I love MJ but the HIStory Tour is by far his weakest tour. It's 90% lip synced and now a days artists are immediately called out and made fun of for lip syncing. So if it was ever released theatrically it could do more harm than good to his legacy.

and It's Munich. The worst show on the HIStory Tour.

Last edited:
I hope he came to his senses and realised it was a ridiculously awful idea.

I hope so. Great idea. Theatre + bluray release.

Bad Tour 1988 should be released in theaters instead

I would rather see the triumph or victory tour be released but not in 3D i hate 3D

I think that lots of fans were against it's release so the estate may not end up releasing it after all, and that's a good thing. I love MJ but the HIStory Tour is by far his weakest tour. It's 90% lip synced and now a days artists are immediately called out and made fun of for lip syncing. So if it was ever released theatrically it could do more harm than good to his legacy.

and It's Munich. The worst show on the HIStory Tour.

I agree. If they want to have music critics and the general public criticize MJ for lip-synching and make younger people think MJ was a lip-synch artist who couldn't sing live, then release it to the cinemas. But if they care just a bit about his legacy as an artist then they should drop this idea. They should rather put more effort into unearthing full, HQ concerts from his other tours.

If they ever release HIStory tour concerts they should rather be low-key, fan releases - definitely not something for theatres and the general public who would only call him out for the obvious lip-synching.

I agree. If they want to have music critics and the general public criticize MJ for lip-synching and make younger people think MJ was a lip-synch artist who couldn't sing live, then release it to the cinemas. But if they care just a bit about his legacy as an artist then they should drop this idea. They should rather put more effort into unearthing full, HQ concerts from his other tours.

If they ever release HIStory tour concerts they should rather be low-key, fan releases - definitely not something for theatres and the general public who would only call him out for the obvious lip-synching.
But don't forget,this is the only unreleased Michael tour(with the exception of all of the Jacksons tours),and Bucharest 92 and Wembley 88 are out on DVD,and he sang live in the Bad Tour,and most of the Dangerous tour.I see no problem with releasing the concert,but I agree with what you said about having it a low-key fan release.

Bad Tour 1988 should be released in theaters instead

That would be awesome! Aintree 1988(Livepool) or any Bad Tour concert would be great to see like that and on Blu-Ray.

I'm not sure if I would like to see HIStory Tour in cinemas. The Munich concert looks great because it is HD but almost every song is lip-synced. Blu-Ray release could be great.

Does anyone have that video of Spike and Branca speaking at the UK showing of BAD 25 documentary. I think that is where he mentioned it.

I think he says it in this.

Last edited:
If they have the microphone sound and MJ is singing the entire song (which I highly doubt) I don't see a problem with it be released. The dancing was incredible but singing wasnt the best but not the worst

The HIStory tour was released on VHS tape back in 1997, taken from the Seoul show in South Korea. It's sort of a collectors item nowadays and I don't think it ever hit any markets outside of Korea.

If the estate were to put any tour in theaters, the Bad tour is the number one option.

Besides, Michael himself canceled a DVD release of the Munich show for Christmas 1997 because he felt that it was a substandard performance and he didn't want to disappoint his fans.

If they have the microphone sound and MJ is singing the entire song (which I highly doubt) I don't see a problem with it be released. The dancing was incredible but singing wasnt the best but not the worst

Even if they did, during this tour Michael would lip sync mostly off key because no one could hear him. There are a few videos of him singing the first few words of the chorus to In the Closet over the dubbed vocals, and his voice is TERRIBLY off key.

The estate should really just leave the HIStory tour alone.

Yes, the Estate is still doing the project.

But it takes time and money.

I was told by a very important man that they found a rare HD quality concert material in Europe, the format is rare.

But they didn't say which stop.

So they are doing it. but not for this year.

And the 3D HIStory is for theater release.

But nobody can seriously blame him for sounding off-key during the tour.
He had laryngitis,so it's a justifiable reason to sound that way.

If The Estate does release the HIStory Tour theatrically then they haven't got a frigging clue! Victory, Bad (1988) and Dangerous are the tours that should be released in theaters. And i don't give a flying crap if Munich 1997 is in super duper, eye dazzling, jaw dropping, crystal clear HD quality. MJ's performance was lacking

When something is being released for the general public MJ needs to be shown at his best and the HIStory Tour (Especially Munich) was not him at his best.

and if The Estate chooses the HIStory Tour to represent Michael as a live performer then people are gonna think that all of his tours are 90% lip synced.

Last edited:
But nobody can seriously blame him for sounding off-key during the tour.
He had laryngitis,so it's a justifiable reason to sound that way.

Not only he had laryngitis, lupus was causing him breathing problems.

Unbelieveable some of you are bitching about a project we aren't entirely sure yet if it will ever be released when Michael had justifiable reasons to not sound vocally as he should at that time. I'm 100% the only reason he toured in those conditions was because he signed a contract.

The Estate could use vocals from other past live performances IF they want to release HIStory tour. I personally wouldn't mind.

I was told by a very important man that they found a rare HD quality concert material in Europe, the format is rare.

Thanks for that mkgenie! So there is another HIStory tour in HD quality besides munich??

Also, off topic but do u have any information regarding the upcoming album?

No matter if HIStory tour gets a theatrical release or not, I'd love to have on HD. If there's another show on HD, the better. I love that tour and I fully understand his reasons for lip syncing.

man it would be absolutely perfect if there actually is another show in hd. they could edit the vocals (use rehearsal vocals or reàl live vocals mj sang behind playback). This could be an amazing release if done properly. They could even mix Munich with this other HD concert.

I think the bad concert should be run in the cinema and I know bad25 is over but bad concert on cinema screen would be awesome

I'm sure it is the Munich concert that is already available in HD so they shouldn't call it rare. :) The 3D release could be great but I'm worried that the general public and critics wouldn't like it because of the lip-syncing.

Of course, and Victory Tour too, and Triumph! But they don't have that footage. They have only HIStory Munchen '97.

No, they DO have Victory and Triumph footage.. We know for sure Dallas, Mile High Stadium, and Kansas City are for sure filmed from Victory tour ( as we have seen some of this footage, and in many biographies it talks about Michael hiring a film crew to capture it.

The thing with The Jackson Tour releases (Victory and Triumph and Destiny) is that the Jacksons also get a piece of the pie, and with all the negotiation and things that would have to be done for those releases, i doubt they would go to theaters. I think for sure that footage will be released eventually, but not in theaters.

If they are going to release a tour to be shown in theaters, it would need to be a Bad Tour show from the second leg. As people would know just about every song, It is sang 95% live, and the energy is phenomenal. I would say Los Angeles 1989 would be a good cinematic release, as we know it was shot on film.

I'm actually glad this is getting release I wonder which other concert would they have found. Maybe next year? I'm excited to watch MJ on the big screen I remember watching This Is It and people in the theatre actually chanting for MJ felt like an actual concert expierence. Especially in 3D!

Not only he had laryngitis, lupus was causing him breathing problems.

Unbelieveable some of you are bitching about a project we aren't entirely sure yet if it will ever be released when Michael had justifiable reasons to not sound vocally as he should at that time. I'm 100% the only reason he toured in those conditions was because he signed a contract.

The Estate could use vocals from other past live performances IF they want to release HIStory tour. I personally wouldn't mind.

You are preaching to the choir. Yes, fans understand the reasons behind his lip-synching. But we are talking about the general public here, since it's supposed to be a highly publicized theatrical release. The general public does not know or care that he had this or that health problem. They will only see him lip-synching and he will be brutally bashed and torn apart for it. Is that really what we want? Michael to be questioned as a live performer in front of a main audience? If that's what the Estate/Sony wants then go ahead with this project. But I think in projects intended to wider audiences MJ should be presented in his best form and shape and not in his worst. Do you really want a performance in the theaters where - in your own words - "I'm 100% the only reason he toured in those conditions was because he signed a contract"? Wouldn't you rather want one where he was in top form?

Hm, I don't like this.

Back