Is the Estate still planning to release HIStory Tour 3D?

Another thing i wanna point out is that MJ is called ''the greatest entertainer of all time'' so if Munich 1997 is released in theaters many people are gonna question that title saying ''If he's the greatest entertainer of all time then why does he lip sync?''

I'd do the same thing if i knew nothing about MJ's live performances and the HIStory Tour was the first time i saw him live

I completely agree with what everyone is saying. Sure it has it's visual aspects but nothing gives it a real feel to the show! with just two parts of the concert having live vocals.. I could tell they weren't live vocals as soon as! cos' that was the second show i saw on the ultimate collection fan box that I bought, after the 52 minutes of brisbane! the Tours that should be released are BAD Tour 87/88/89' & Dangerous Tour 1992, rumours are is that Oviedo is on film and Munich could be also! just pointing that out cos' of the big change in resolution during Black or White on the Bucharest DVD! I think the only show from the HIStory Tour that should be released is Prague or Zaragoza! but not a worldwide release! their's my opinion. I know it will be ignored but. hey ho haha. "you know :imbad shamone" ;)

rsggamer123;3905197 said:
man it would be absolutely perfect if there actually is another show in hd. they could edit the vocals (use rehearsal vocals or reàl live vocals mj sang behind playback). This could be an amazing release if done properly. They could even mix Munich with this other HD concert.

Using live vocals from rehearsals is another great idea. The ones who are bitching about the general public wouldn't notice the difference. I hope there's indeed another HD concert, in Munchen he looked sicker. :( But they could mix with other concerts as well.

I freaking ADORED Michael's voice on Victory tour but his brothers' background vocals, some of the music were hideous, his dance steps were imprecise in some songs. The best things from that tour were his voice and costumes, in that order. So it wouldn't be visually appealing or entertaining like his three solo tours. I'd love to see those 3 on the big screen but I know it won't happen but if the Estate decides HIStory, they could do the things mentioned previously.

I totally agree with most of you. If theatrical release is to be done, then everything except HIStory Tour! It's insane that The Estate even consider releasing tour in which MJ is in fact in his worst shape of all tours... So sad.

As far as I remember, Lepzing is also recorded in HD as the scene with the bug before J5 Medley is from this city. At least seems like it is...

I refuse to buy any HIStory tour release. I hate having to say that but I'm not going to pay hard earned money to watch Michael perform at 60%.

The Estate could use vocals from other past live performances IF they want to release HIStory tour. I personally wouldn't mind.

Umm, no. If they did that I would put it right up there with the MICHAEL album as the worst idea the estate has ever had.

I love the History tour, but I'm not aware of the bad performance everyone is referring too. However, I do agree about the lip-syncing. I was actually disappointed that there was so much of it, when I first saw it. As much as I love the tour I don't know about it being theatrically released because of that. I don't really care for the 3D idea either. The estate needs to really think about this.

I love the History tour, but I'm not aware of the bad performance everyone is referring too. However, I do agree about the lip-syncing. I was actually disappointed that there was so much of it, when I first saw it. As much as I love the tour I don't know about it being theatrically released because of that. I don't really care for the 3D idea either. The estate needs to really think about this.

Lip syncing aside the HIStory Tour has had some very good performances. Brunei, Kuala Lumpur and Bucherest are great shows with a lot of energy. But MJ's performance was really lacking in Munich.

It's bad enough that the estate may be planning on releasing the HIStory Tour theatrically because MJ will be torn apart for all the lip syncing but then to add insult to injury they'll probably end up using Munich which is MJ's worst performance on the HIStory Tour

Last edited:
People claiming Michael Jackson did not give it 100% every time he performed do not know Michael's work ethic or who he was as a live entertainer at all. Just because he used a backing track at the age of 38-39 does not mean he didn't give 100%. I mean watch the Dublin show, the Kuala Lumpur show etc. All great shows, with great energy. It didn't have the energy of the Dangerous Tour but that's a whole different story, as if you ask me, Michael slowly started to die from 1993 onwards. The allegations would've killed him had Liz Taylor not step in. Completely crushed him. So for a man to still go out and do all that even with his age, and everything else going on is immense. Justin Bieber's like 18 and he lip-synchs, which is a bit daft given his age but a 39 year old lip synching in order to give a better all round dance performance? I'd say we can let it go. I have to say, this tour isn't the worst thing he ever did. Dangerous, Bad, HIStory, then any other Jacksons tour afterwards. In my opinion though, of course.

I wouldn't really be all that excited for the Munich concert release, but if it picked up some nice attention then that would be cool. I showed several non fans the concert, and they all thought opening by coming out of a spaceship was the coolest concert entrance ever, so it's not all bad. Wouldn't be my most favored release, but I guess it would be nice to see down the line.

I think if they truly have found another HD HIStory tour concert then they should use this and mix in live vocals either from rehearsals, other performances or the recorded live singing mj did behind the mimed track. This could be a perfect release!!

People claiming Michael Jackson did not give it 100% every time he performed do not know Michael's work ethic or who he was as a live entertainer at all. Just because he used a backing track at the age of 38-39 does not mean he didn't give 100%. I mean watch the Dublin show, the Kuala Lumpur show etc. All great shows, with great energy. It didn't have the energy of the Dangerous Tour but that's a whole different story, as if you ask me, Michael slowly started to die from 1993 onwards. The allegations would've killed him had Liz Taylor not step in. Completely crushed him. So for a man to still go out and do all that even with his age, and everything else going on is immense. Justin Bieber's like 18 and he lip-synchs, which is a bit daft given his age but a 39 year old lip synching in order to give a better all round dance performance? I'd say we can let it go. I have to say, this tour isn't the worst thing he ever did. Dangerous, Bad, HIStory, then any other Jacksons tour afterwards. In my opinion though, of course.

I wouldn't really be all that excited for the Munich concert release, but if it picked up some nice attention then that would be cool. I showed several non fans the concert, and they all thought opening by coming out of a spaceship was the coolest concert entrance ever, so it's not all bad. Wouldn't be my most favored release, but I guess it would be nice to see down the line.

He lip synced on the HIStory Tour because he had laryngitis. His age had nothing to do with it. Hell it's been said that he wanted to sing live as much as possible for This Is It and he was 50 at that time.

Also while the fans are more understanding and forgiving of MJ's lip syncing (Because of laryngitis) the general public won't be and he will be ripped apart for it.

The HIStory Tour should NOT represent Michael as a live performer

TII is edited and general public loved it either way, I´m pretty sure Kenny Ortega and co. edited incomplete vocals or chose better performances. General public won't notice if they decide to put live vocals from rehearsals or past live performances.

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;3905472 said:
Don't compare it with MICHAEL!

I'm just talking about editing the songs so that they were something they're not.

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;3905531 said:
TII is edited and general public loved it either way, I´m pretty sure Kenny Ortega and co. edited incomplete vocals or chose better performances. General public won't notice if they decide to put live vocals from rehearsals or past live performances.

Yes, but there's a difference.

In This Is It, Michael wasn't giving his all and was just rehearsing. And even with the editing, there were still a number of LIVE performances that were phenomenal (Human Nature and Can't Stop Loving You stand out).

With the HIStory tour, the two live songs (Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' and J5 Medley) were awful.

He lip synced on the HIStory Tour because he had laryngitis. His age had nothing to do with it. Hell it's been said that he wanted to sing live as much as possible for This Is It and he was 50 at that time.

Also while the fans are more understanding and forgiving of MJ's lip syncing (Because of laryngitis) the general public won't be and he will be ripped apart for it.

The HIStory Tour should NOT represent Michael as a live performer

And it doesn't, and it won't with a blu-ray release. If Munich does, why doesn't Wembley? Or Bucharest? Why on earth would the HIStory Tour represent Michael as a performer just because it gets released? Michael is represented through all of his performances, as they are all individually special, and have some magic moments. One single release won't represent Michael as a performer, that's for sure.

Last edited:
My personal opinion, if ANY MJ concert is getting a theatrical release it should be BAD Tour 88, Victory Tour, Dangerous Tour, and if it must be, even history Tour. Its sadly my least favorite era because of the intense playback. A concert without live vocals is like eating without taste buds lol. Dancing on the other hand was epic. Thats all I have to say about that.

HIStory tour should not have a theatrical release, its just that simple. I'm all for the HIStory tour in HD, with an extra disc of rehearsal footage. Maybe even Ghost's on Blu Ray, with 2 hours or so of footage from rehearsals and behind the scenes.. I'm all for that.. That would be an AWESOME release, but if the HIStory tour were to go to theaters... the public would rip it to shreds.. Sad, but its the truth.. It doesn't make since not to show MJ at his peak (which in my opinion is 87-91)

We don't know that. All the footage we have seen from that concert are on some high quality tape not film. This is not film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLqHZD-3x0

This is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loEfNKv2zYo

They should release something like that.

Sorry for off-topic :)

For the Man In The Mirror Footage.... Do we know if different legs or stops had taller and wider stages? I ask because in the Moon Walker live footage the stage seems much larger than any of the other stops on the tour including Japan.

Which brings up my second point... When Janet filmed her All For You tour I read where they actually widened the stage and made it taller because they were planning to broadcast the footage for television. Could this be another clue as to what footage was shot primarily for a long form television broadcast because all the stage in the moon walker piece look gigatic!

Third point is the shots made in the Man In the Mirror are the kinds of shots that let you know they are specifically filming for home T.V. viewers. These shots from the Victory tour appear to be just jumbotron shots but they could also have been shot on film for promo only pieces.

If any one could answer all my questions i'd appreicate it!

With the HIStory tour, the two live songs (Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' and J5 Medley) were awful.
J5 Medley awful? That part of the concert was great. I agree that Michael didn't sound very good during WBSS in Munich concert:

You are missing the point. It's not that fans don't understand his reasons for lip-synching or that they want to bash him for it. So you or anyone else do not need to defend him and tell us why he did it. We know that very well. But here the subject is whether he should be presented in a highly publicized theatre release in this form. After all even you admit it was far from his best: he did not have the energy that he had on Dangerous tour, he slowly started to die since 1993, allegations crushed him - your words. And that is exactly the point. I don't care if this is the show which the Estate/Sony can turn into HD. Who cares? That's a shallow thing compared to the actual content. And the content is 95% lip-synced show. The Estate should focus on presenting MJ in the best possible light to the general public. And not where we will have to explain to the general public and media critics all the time that he lip-syncs because he had health issues etc. I cringe at the idea that people may think this was his best live performance because they'd naturally think his Estate would want to put his best to the theatres. And then they will go into the cinema and will see him lip-sync. It trully does a big disservice to his legacy as a live performer if the Estate/Sony does this. Michael deserves to be presented to the public in the best possible light and not the way where we would have a lot of explaining to do.

Last edited:
For the Man In The Mirror Footage.... Do we know if different legs or stops had taller and wider stages? I ask because in the Moon Walker live footage the stage seems much larger than any of the other stops on the tour including Japan.

They used at least 2 kind of stages during Bad Tour 88-89 leg. Europe and Japan leg had the biggest. The stage that can be seen in the Moonwalker Man in the Mirror during blue shirt parts and in the Wembley DVD. The Liverpool stage(some parts in MITM are from that) might look bigger than the Wembley's but I think the size is the same. Do you mean this?:

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/Galactus123/vlcsnap-2013-07-30-11h47m42s173_zps6a466fb6.png

USA leg had a little different stage with the walkway(black jacket parts during MITM):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwBpB1Ok6JA

I hope this answers :)

You are missing the point. It's not that fans don't understand his reasons for lip-synching or that they want to bash him for it. So you or anyone else do not need to defend him and tell us why he did it. We know that very well. But here the subject is whether he should be presented in a highly publicized theatre release in this form. After all even you admit it was far from his best: he did not have the energy that he had on Dangerous tour, he slowly started to die since 1993, allegations crushed him - your words. And that is exactly the point. I don't care if this is the show which the Estate/Sony can turn into HD. Who cares? That's a shallow thing compared to the actual content. And the content is 95% lip-synced show. The Estate should focus on presenting MJ in the best possible light to the general public. And not where we will have to explain to the general public and media critics all the time that he lip-syncs because he had health issues etc. I cringe at the idea that people may think this was his best live performance because they'd naturally think his Estate would want to put his best to the theatres. And then they will go into the cinema and will see him lip-sync. It trully does a big disservice to his legacy as a live performer if the Estate/Sony does this. Michael deserves to be presented to the public in the best possible light and not the way where we would have a lot of explaining to do.

Of course there are better tours to be released, and a Dangerous tour show would be the best one simply because of the fact it was his best all round tour. I agree with what you've said, Michael deserves the best, of course. The HIStory Tour wouldn't be that, so yes a better release is obviously out there. I just didn't see the need to bash something Michael obviously put an awful lot of work on, and worked very hard on. Even if not for those reasons, maybe the fact so many under privileged children had an experience not many can say they had; they shared a stage with Michael Jackson.

I’m not sure if this is a good idea.

I was lucky enough to attent a HIStory tour concert live, and it was an incredible experience. I didn’t even really know his music before that, but the concert turned me into a huge fan immediately. The energy, the atmosphere, Michael’s charisma was truly magical. The thing is though, you don’t necessarily feel those things when you’re just watching a video of the concert. And when you don’t feel the incredible atmosphere I think you’re more likely to pay attention to the “flaws” of the performance, like the lipsyncing.

Personally I don’t mind that he lipsynced on the HIStory tour. IMO lipsyncing is fine if there are health reasons for it, or if singing live would be too difficult because you’re doing intense choreography. It’s just that I don’t want the general public to think of Michael as an artist who doesn’t sing live. He did dance and sing live on several tours.

Michael being an amazing live performer is like the one thing that even his most dedicated haters can’t deny. It would be a huge shame if releasing the HIStory tour where he wasn’t at his best damaged his reputation as an incredible live performer.

Sunwalker7;3905636 said:
It’s just that I don’t want the general public to think of Michael as an artist who doesn’t sing live. He did dance and sing live on several tours.
They should release Bad Tour and Dangerous Tour concert in cinemas first. After those they can release the Munich concert in 3D if they want. :)

Bad Tour 88-89 concert would be the best choice for cinema release.

They should release Bad Tour and Dangerous Tour concert in cinemas first. After those they can release the Munich concert in 3D if they want. :)

Bad Tour 88-89 concert would be the best choice for cinema release.

I really don't want Munich 1997 to be released. I don't care if it's in super amazing HD quality. MJ's performance was lacking.

When it comes to MJ's performances for me the performance always comes first and i'll take the average VHS quality 1988 Wembley over the HD quality 1997 Munich anyday

Last edited:
Wembley & Aintree 1988 was shot on film, other shows maybe too! Cork seems likely but it could be just WBSS! clip. on YouTube.. Minneapolis is also a possibility! Will Pecchi said they filmed full shows from 1987 also! those are the shows that should be released in cinemas to the public. DANGEROUS Tour 1992.. I'd go for Munich cos' we've seen the resolution difference on the bucharest DVD! and also Michael performs Black Or white with live vocals! Oviedo is apparently on film! if it is, release that! but Munich looks like film.. just do a comparison. HIStory Tour isn't that bad as people say "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" at Copenhagen had fantastic vocals! especially were Michael screams "Sing it to the world! SING IT ALL NIGHT LONG, Hoo-Hoo!!" Brunei looks good too, it's possible their's another show in HD after Munich! as SC21 mentioned Lepzing is the J5 medley moment with the bug, and there could be a show on film from 96/early 97' also with Multitracks! would
be interesting to know that information but it will never be public until the shows are released. Next Tour release should be Dangerous 1992 then they should Release Destiny, Triumph & Victory with the brother's permission (if they can get it) then after that no matter how late it may be, Release the BAD Tour on Blu-Ray.

Those drama queens & kings tearing the tour apart are talking like they knew how the final product is gonna be. NONE of us know for sure if it will ever be released on that format for theatrical exhibition, if in fact it will be just like we saw München, if they're gonna use that concert, we don't know absolutely NOTHING. And if HIStory tour had been such a disaster like some of you are portraying it, it wouldn't had surpassed BAD tour on public attendance. If it's fact released, fortunately not all people share your opinion. Don't support it, as simple as that; Michael had almost 46 years in showbiz for just defining him in a single tour.

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;3905711 said:
Those drama queens & kings tearing the tour apart are talking like they knew how the final product is gonna be. NONE of us know for sure if it will ever be released on that format for theatrical exhibition, if in fact it will be just like we saw München, if they're gonna use that concert, we don't know absolutely NOTHING. And if HIStory tour had been such a disaster like some of you are portraying it, it wouldn't had surpassed BAD tour on public attendance. If it's fact released, fortunately not all people share your opinion. Don't support it, as simple as that; Michael had almost 46 years in showbiz for just defining him in a single tour.

yeah, it's more likely than not that every tour will be released on Blu-Ray in the future! probably in the next 20 years, i want all three tours! Munich isn't my first choice but if it's the only show in HD from that Tour (maybe Lepzing too) then I wouldn't mind if it was released, also the fact they have Michael's live voice for the full show.. I love hearing how hard he was working through his vocals! would be interesting to hear the live vocals from Bille Jean, Blood on the Dancefloor, You Are not Alone & HIStory! I'm curious and I would buy it for that curiosity!

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;3905711 said:

Nobody here is tearing the HIStory Tour apart. Infact many of us have said that we would be happy to see the HIStory Tour released but as a low key DVD/Blu Ray release for the fans. What we are against is releasing the HIStory Tour to theaters. For such a big scale release MJ needs to be shown at his best and while the HIStory Tour was good it was not him at his best.

Do you really want HIStory Tour Munich (Which is the weakest performance on the HIStory Tour) to represent Michael as a live performer to the general public?

Back