Is the Estate still planning to release HIStory Tour 3D?

The ripped pants, he fell several times and let's face it those gold pants showed way too much Michael. Another one he dropped his leg, the guys doing the floor with cloths you name it Alot went wrong. I can't name it all. I can guess he wouldn't want that tour on the big screen.

Then when you combine that with the obvious 90% lip syncing that's the reason why the HIStory Tour should not be released to cinemas.

This is how I look at it (just my 2 cents)--MJ is gone :( everyone knows that. So there is no need to prove at this point that he could sing and dance b/c it's obvious he could. Did he do those 2 things best at the same time (simultaneously)? Probably not. His best vocals were in the studio. His best dancing was on stage. Who of the other major dancers and singers in his caliber did both simultaneously in such a wonderful way that we would want to see it? Fred Astair? gene Kelly? Who? They all had sound tracks added to their dancing as far as I know. Did MJ sing live when he did his music videos? no. History is the last tour--that's the most recent, close to our time. Going back to the 80's is going too far back IMO.

I don't see a problem with releasing the History tour. He lip singed the most of his TV performance. He was the 39 on the tour it is hard to dance and sing at he sometime. people keep saying that Michael was not happy with tour. The truth of the mater is Michael was never happy with most of the projects that he has done. If the estate had a whole bad concert on film they would release it if they had it. If the Bad tour was Michael at his pick than how come Bad25 didn't do that well. Even with his it being on VHS the concert DVD should have done better than that. Also you don't know how the estate is going to release history tour; it could be a documentary or concert. It can show Michael Jackson creative side of him once again. The victory tour is hard to release because his brothers were a part of that tour not just Michael so getting all parties happy with the release of the Victory tour will be hard. Michael Jackson is an entertainer not a singer. If Fans keep saying Michael would not be happy with each project we will never get anything released. If people don't like Michael Jackson they will pick at anything they can whether he is singing or not. We has fans love Michael Jackson but a lot people think he is over rated just like some Michael Jackson fans will say to other artist sometimes.

Release concert like this Estate:

Bad Tour should be the first one to be released in cinemas wordwide.

History was a disaster, really it was. It was a step down from Dangerous and 2 steps from Bad tour. It's a disappointment among fans so it definitely would be among those who like Michael, but aren't fans. History did have a-lot of dancing, probably more than the other tours, but there one some songs that should have been live. SIM, YANA, OTW Melody and Heal the World...
No one wants to see 39 year old Michael miming to a song released in the late 70s.
All around it wasn't great. The spaceship, the plain ending, espically coming off of Dangerous and what we saw in This Is It.
I think Dangerous would be best for a movie release. It has the perfect balance between live and mimed, and singing/dancing

This is how I look at it (just my 2 cents)--MJ is gone :( everyone knows that. So there is no need to prove at this point that he could sing and dance b/c it's obvious he could. Did he do those 2 things best at the same time (simultaneously)? Probably not. His best vocals were in the studio. His best dancing was on stage. Who of the other major dancers and singers in his caliber did both simultaneously in such a wonderful way that we would want to see it? Fred Astair? gene Kelly? Who? They all had sound tracks added to their dancing as far as I know. Did MJ sing live when he did his music videos? no.

Films and videos are a totally different area than concerts.

History is the last tour--that's the most recent, close to our time.

And his worst tour. Why to put him at his worst in the cinemas when he had lot better tours? It would just unnecessarily open him up to bashing and criticism.

If the Bad tour was Michael at his pick than how come Bad25 didn't do that well. Even with his it being on VHS the concert DVD should have done better than that.

It does matter that the Wembley'88 show was of poor quality. At this age when people buy Blue Rays it does put people off if a show is released in VHS quality. But that doesn't mean they will cheer it on if another show is put out in excellent quality but the show itself is poor. Then they will criticize the performance.

Also I think MJ fans sometimes have irrealistic expectations as of how many copies something should sell. Old concert DVDs are not necessarily huge sellers, they are usually targeted to the fandom of an artist. Queen's Hungarian Rhapsody is excellent quality, recorded on film, so it could also be released to the cinemas and it's a great show too and still apparently it wasn't a huge seller. At least when I compare the chart performances of Hungarian Rhapsody and Wembley'88, it seems to me Wembley'88 actually did better despite of the poor VHS quality:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_Wembley_July_16,_1988#Charts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_Rhapsody:_Queen_Live_in_Budapest_’86#Charts

Now, imagine how well it would do if the Estate could find a great show in great quality and release that to the cinemas and promote it properly. But the show has to be great and represent MJ at his best and not at his worst.

I don't see a problem with releasing the History tour. He lip singed the most of his TV performance. He was the 39 on the tour it is hard to dance and sing at he sometime. people keep saying that Michael was not happy with tour. The truth of the mater is Michael was never happy with most of the projects that he has done. If the estate had a whole bad concert on film they would release it if they had it. If the Bad tour was Michael at his pick than how come Bad25 didn't do that well. Even with his it being on VHS the concert DVD should have done better than that. Also you don't know how the estate is going to release history tour; it could be a documentary or concert. It can show Michael Jackson creative side of him once again. The victory tour is hard to release because his brothers were a part of that tour not just Michael so getting all parties happy with the release of the Victory tour will be hard. Michael Jackson is an entertainer not a singer. If Fans keep saying Michael would not be happy with each project we will never get anything released. If people don't like Michael Jackson they will pick at anything they can whether he is singing or not. We has fans love Michael Jackson but a lot people think he is over rated just like some Michael Jackson fans will say to other artist sometimes.

That was my point exactly. I also would like to say whatever they put out ppl will show up in droves so what's the big deal.

History was a disaster, really it was. It was a step down from Dangerous and 2 steps from Bad tour. It's a disappointment among fans so it definitely would be among those who like Michael, but aren't fans. History did have a-lot of dancing, probably more than the other tours, but there one some songs that should have been live. SIM, YANA, OTW Melody and Heal the World...
No one wants to see 39 year old Michael miming to a song released in the late 70s.
All around it wasn't great. The spaceship, the plain ending, espically coming off of Dangerous and what we saw in This Is It.
I think Dangerous would be best for a movie release. It has the perfect balance between live and mimed, and singing/dancing

Who you, I don't feel anything he did was a disappointment. I only think history shows alot of MJ's frontal which could pose a problem on the big screen if kids go. Other than that I loved all his tours.

And his worst tour. Why to put him at his worst in the cinemas when he had lot better tours? It would just unnecessarily open him up to bashing and criticism.

It does matter that the Wembley'88 show was of poor quality. At this age when people buy Blue Rays it does put people off if a show is released in VHS quality. But that doesn't mean they will cheer it on if another show is put out in excellent quality but the show itself is poor. Then they will criticize the performance.

Also I think MJ fans sometimes have irrealistic expectations as of how many copies something should sell. Old concert DVDs are not necessarily huge sellers, they are usually targeted to the fandom of an artist. Queen's Hungarian Rhapsody is excellent quality, recorded on film, so it could also be released to the cinemas and it's a great show too and still apparently it wasn't a huge seller. At least when I compare the chart performances of Hungarian Rhapsody and Wembley'88, it seems to me Wembley'88 actually did better despite of the poor VHS quality:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_Wembley_July_16,_1988#Charts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_Rhapsody:_Queen_Live_in_Budapest_’86#Charts

Now, imagine how well it would do if the Estate could find a great show in great quality and release that to the cinemas and promote it properly. But the show has to be great and represent MJ at his best and not at his worst.

I wouldn't be opposed to see multiple shows edited into one. Or at least we need a show with a lot of camera angles. I love the wembley DVD but footage straight from the jumbotrone won't cut it, esp if they have cinematographic aspirations

what about Amsterdam? Live Beat it Vocals September 28th! no ponytail for Billie Jean
You've got the two mixed up the no ponytail was Billie Jean from Amsterdam June 10 1997 not 1996. Good performance but no toe stand after moonwalk. He put a lot of moves into WBSS and seems a bit tired in other parts of the concert.

I would like to see June 8 as he lies down on the ground similar to Milan. Unfortunately we only have photographs of Amsterdam BOTDF and no video.

I wonder if Michael himself thought the HIStory Tour "sucked". He never wanted Bad Tour 88 released, and yet we have SO many full-concert broadcasts of HWT that were sent to TV stations around the world. He knew the lipsyncing would degrade the quality of the performances. Releasing so many concerts further degrades the value because people would be like "bleh, another HIStory concert".

Other than Munich, what other HQ concerts do they have as MASTER SOURCES? I doubt they have much.

You could argue Copenhagen is still kept by some TV stations in very good quality, but it's not a master tape so I doubt they would release it. Don't even mention Brunei. They MIGHT have a master for Royal Brunei though (hologram projection in 2010 Earth Song tribute with Latoya on Russian TV, but his legs appear edited)

footage straight from the jumbotrone won't cut it, esp if they have cinematographic aspirations
You have a good point but a lot of the jumbotron footage from concerts in daylight is quite impressive. In Amsterdam concerts, you can see the crowd and atmosphere quite well. It's still somewhat restrictive but still a lot better than the darker ones they broadcast on TV with the far-range camera zoomed tightly in for most songs. I think it was partially a media consent issue as well, as not everyone wants to see themselves on TV.

Compare Stranger in Moscow in Amsterdam with something like Gothenburg. You get some feel of the atmosphere:

However, some fans dislike daylight concerts because the theatrics are diluted. Stage flaws become more obvious. I'm indifferent about this but the one thing I dislike is we don't have the master camera angles and some of Michael's moves are lost from editing (TV broadcasted concerts may be edited slightly for the better or worst). In some concerts the camera angles showing background singers at the worst time possible, so we can never know what MJ is doing unless someone has amateur videos. For example the ankle break at the beginning of Billie Jean in Tunis is greatly obscured, or so frequently MJ's moves in SIM, all because the camera angle is switching to the backup singers or keyboard playing.

Look--we can't have a live concert any more b/c our hero is gone--so now how does he look and sound his best? At this point IMO it doesn't matter if he is singing live any more--it is not a contest--he already won. :) Just my 2 cents.

not really when you are thinking about a film version of a multiconcert tour. Just my opinion.

^ It does matter how MJ is perceived, don't you think? Would you like to see him bashed and trashed for obviously lip-synching and not being at his best on the big screen? It's guaranteed if it's HIStory tour that they release to the cinemas. Why to open him up to that when there are better tours to represent him? Wouldn't you rather want to see him represented at his best to the general public on the big screen and not at his worst?
When even many fans dislike the HIStory tour because of the excessive lip-synching, when even many fans acknowledge it was his weakest tour, how do you expect the general public to be impressed by that?

not really when you are thinking about a film version of a multiconcert tour. Just my opinion.

We are talking about live singing vs. lip-synching and from that aspect expectations are different for movies/videos and concerts. No one sings live in a video or a movie (with the rare exception of videos which are made of concert footage - eg. the Another Part of Me video), so I don't even understand why you even brought them up. Concerts are different. Artists are expected to sing live and not just mime there.

Last edited:
I love the HIStory Tour as do many fans and i can't wait for it to be released either Theater or DVD. :wub:
I very much doubt he will be bashed and trashed over A HIStory tour release - The History tour vids on youtube are loved by the masses. Once in a blue moon someone mentions lip syncing but he is never trashed over it.. except by haters or Trolls. who mock any vid. Michael was awesome. The fans who went agree. They were estatic. They didn't leave complaining and only wanted more . Stop being ashamed of Michael .. He was awesome.

I love the HIStory Tour as do many fans and i can't wait for it to be released either Theater or DVD. :wub:
I very much doubt he will be bashed and trashed over A HIStory tour release - The History tour vids on youtube are loved by the masses. Once in a blue moon someone mentions lip syncing but he is never trashed over it.. except by haters or Trolls. who mock any vid. Michael was awesome. The fans who went agree. They were estatic. They didn't leave complaining and only wanted more . Stop being ashamed of Michael .. He was awesome.

Saying he should be represented at his best to the masses not at his worst is not "being ashamed of him". :doh:

Most people who comment on MJ videos on YT are MJ fans, so obviously most responses are positive. But if it's put out to the theatres, not only hard core fans will attend. Actually, I have seen people on music forums talk about MJ and saying "why people say he's one of the greatest entertainers when he always lip synched?" and many agreed. Of course, this is very unfair, because he did not always lip-synch and he was great when he sang live, but putting a fully lip-synched concert in the theaters would only reinforce this false idea. Shouldn't the Estate rather work to represent him at his best and to dissolve such myths as "he always lip-synched" rather than reinforce them by putting such a performance to the cinemas causing many people believe it's his best when in fact it was his worst?

Fans should understand that lip synching is judged very harshly these days and a million Gold Pants won't change that in the eyes of the general public.

Also just because I'm a fan I do not have to think all of his performances were equally good, because that's just impossible. Like everyone else he had better and worse tours and HIStory tour was far from his best (IMO it was his worst).

Last edited:
The fans who went agree. They were estatic.

Actually being at a concert and watching a concert on a TV screen are two completely different experiences. When people are at a concert they can get caught up in the excitement, so the lip syncing won't be as obvious, but watching a concert on a TV screen makes all the lip syncing more obvious

HIStory tour was far from his best (IMO it was his worst)

Not only that The Estate will probably end up using Munich 1997 which is the worst show from that tour

Actually being at a concert and watching a concert on a TV screen are two completely different experiences. When people are at a concert they can get caught up in the excitement, so the lip syncing won't be as obvious, but watching a concert on a TV screen makes all the lip syncing more obvious

You're right so will those tight ass pants, don't think ppl want their kids looking at that, trust me, I bet Michael was thinking the same thing. But we'll see what the estate does.

The difference there, though, is that it is on YouTube. Uploading a subpar performance on YouTube is majorly different than releasing a subpar performance in theaters. The only fans I've spoken to that love the HIStory tour are those who have just joined the community and haven't seen much of anything else. I understand and accept that there are some longtime fans that enjoy the concerts as well, but fact of the matter is that a good percentage of us think it's Michael's worst tour.

As it's been said, lip synching is much more criticized now than it was when the tour was happening. If the tour is put in theaters, surely there will be new fans entering to see what the hype was. Do you really want their first experience to be the HIStory tour over the Bad tour? Hell, even the Dangerous tour!

Analogue now you talking, Dangerous tour yessss let's see what the analysts have to say negative about that tour. Geez.

Lip-synching perhaps?

While there was lip syncing on the Dangerous Tour it was still 70% live. That's still much better than the 90% lip synced HIStory Tour

Last edited:
Back