James Brown

Quoting your post from the R’n’B thread, but do so here in the JB thread, since you were so kind and rightfully place the video where it belong.

Well, he might’ve, but it all depends. That particular film unfortunately had very lacking distribution. And then it comes down to f&m’s level of JB obsession, of course, which triumphs any such things as poor distribution.

I freakin’ LOVE the clip!! I tend to fire it up every now and then just for inspiration. The discipline in that studio is mental!
That clip is THE BOMB.

I'm in Elvis mode right now but your JB clip has blown up EVERYTHING!

goddammit!

That clip is THE BOMB.

I'm in Elvis mode right now but your JB clip has blown up EVERYTHING!

goddammit!
Oh, that reminds me of the tribute JB paid to Elvis after his (Elvis’) passing! Must find video…

Edit: A lovely quote:
I wasn’t just a fan, I was his brother. He said I was good and I said he was good; we never argued about that. Elvis was a hard worker, dedicated, and God loved him ... I love him and hope to see him in heaven.
(James Brown)​

The aforementioned tribute is off of James’ 1979 album The Original Disco Man:
James Brown / Love Me Tender

2m 47s

Last edited:
James Brown / King Heroin [from the 1972 album There It Is]

3m 57s

This one makes me cry and cry and cry.😭
Mhm. Yes, that whole album is emotional to me. The Payback (1973) even more so, with James having lost his eldest son and all… 😢

Also, can we stop just a moment to appreciate the astonishing productivity of this man? Between There It Is in June of 1972 and The Payback in December of 1973 he put out no less than three more albums (Get on the Good Foot, Black Caesar, and Slaughter’s Big Rip-Off)! And his 1960’s was even more hectic. All this, and he never compromised with quality, as far as I’m concerned. Absolute deadly.

One of my all-time favourite grooves:
James Brown / The Boss [from the 1973 album Black Caesar]

3m 17s

Also, can we stop just a moment to appreciate the astonishing productivity of this man? Between There It Is in June of 1972 and The Payback in December of 1973 he put out no less than three more albums (Get on the Good Foot, Black Caesar, and Slaughter’s Big Rip-Off)! And his 1960’s was even more hectic. All this, and he never compromised with quality, as far as I’m concerned. Absolute deadly.
They called him the hardest working man in showbusiness. That didn't come out of thin air. The man was a phenomenon.

Mhm. Yes, that whole album is emotional to me.
Can't even. 😭

Quoting your post from the R’n’B thread, but do so here in the JB thread, since you were so kind and rightfully place the video where it belong.
Full disclosure - I'm not being kind, lol. I'm being selfish!

When the girls post lovely photos of Michael and I re-post some of them that's bc I got over-excited and my head exploded. When I re-post videos it's purely to help myself find them again. I can't bookmark anything anymore since my bookmarks have 10, 000 items (slight exaggeration, lol) and it's a nightmare in there. I mean, sure, I am also being a bit of an archivist and I do like stuff to be gathered together in one sensible place so it's nicely organised. But mostly I'm just being selfish, ngl. :ROFLMAO:

Lost Someone on live at the Apollo is fantastic. Audience going crazy! Only JB is able to have a song last a repetitive 10 minutes without it getting boring. Vocals are out of this world. Love it when the crowd is totally into a performance and reactionary to what is happening on stage.
Don't know if this performance exists on video. I fucking love cheering and screaming girls, I can't help it lol

PS I mean screaming during concerts. I can do without one screaming next to me in the sofa

I'll never in my life understand how they didn't collab one time!
I was just reading another thread about this today. One comment did jump out at me:

"I'm not sure what he could have done with JB. Their music is very different. JB during his height was all about funk and improvisation, Michael worked entirely different and rehearsed everything to perfection."

It's an interesting point. Otoh, I'm not sure I *completely* agree with the comment bc JB also rehearsed everything to perfection.

link if anyone's interested:

Michael as a seasoned artist surely knew how to improvise either on stage or in the studio. I don’t see why they could not have worked together. He danced twice in front of JB out of the blue on stage. These guys knew what they were doing.

Lost Someone on live at the Apollo is fantastic. Audience going crazy! Only JB is able to have a song last a repetitive 10 minutes without it getting boring. Vocals are out of this world. Love it when the crowd is totally into a performance and reactionary to what is happening on stage.
Don't know if this performance exists on video. I fucking love cheering and screaming girls, I can't help it lol

PS I mean screaming during concerts. I can do without one screaming next to me in the sofa
Tried to find something for Origins of Rock n' Roll thread. Didn't have much luck but found a Bo Diddley clip from 1965 which didn't really fit but I posted it there anyway. And it's a weird little clip but you might wanna check it out. Screaming girls, lol.

bed7a95d637e0a7144bb7060a5e779d0.jpg

Amendment:
  • Open up the door
  • Take a look at those cakes

Last edited:
I was just reading another thread about this today. One comment did jump out at me:

"I'm not sure what he could have done with JB. Their music is very different. JB during his height was all about funk and improvisation, Michael worked entirely different and rehearsed everything to perfection."

It's an interesting point. Otoh, I'm not sure I *completely* agree with the comment bc JB also rehearsed everything to perfection.

link if anyone's interested:

That's just someone's opinion. They could've easily put a video together. Me personally felt like James Brown could've been featured on the bad album instead of stevie. I would've loved to see him & James on the bad video. Would've been a totally different video for sure but that horn section screams James Brown. Even the intro is like "this is a man's world" intro.

Fs-B-vuWYAIymLI

"On the morning after the assassination of Dr Martin Luther King, Jr, city officials in Boston, Massachusetts were scrambling to prepare for an expected second straight night of unrest. Similar preparations were being made in cities across America, including in the nation’s capital, where armed units of the regular Army patrolled outside the White House and U.S. Capitol following President Johnson's state-of-emergency declaration. But Boston would be nearly alone among America’s major cities in remaining quiet and calm that turbulent Friday night, thanks in large part to one of the least quiet and calm musical performers of all time. On the night of April 5, 1968, James Brown kept the peace in Boston by the sheer force of his music and his personal charisma."

James played the Apollo countless of times.

James Brown / Live at the Apollo, 1968

36m 38s

(Lost Someone is about 29 minutes in.)

Little interview snippets with Mick Jagger about the James Brown biopic he produced in 2014.

3m 57s

Back