James Brown

Little interview snippets with Mick Jagger about the James Brown biopic he produced in 2014.

3m 57s

Nice I wasn’t aware Mick was involved in this. I saw the biopic but back then I only knew James Brown from a handful of songs, I think I will appreciate it a lot better on a second watch.

Nice I wasn’t aware Mick was involved in this. I saw the biopic but back then I only knew James Brown from a handful of songs, I think I will appreciate it a lot better on a second watch.
I didn't know about his involvement, either. I only found out by accident. I'm on a bit of a Rolling Stones kick bc I just finished reading a book about Exile On Main Street. They were my band in the 1960's. Found a nice interview but some of it is in French.

up to 2m 39s - Mick is speaking English (French subtitles)
from 2m 40s - French (no English subtitles!)
from 6m 57s - back to English

9m 14s

@filmandmusic - FYI

Info re a 2023 documentary on James Brown.

"A&E Network announced the four-part documentary yesterday (February 26 2022) and said it’s expected to arrive in 2023."

"In 2014, the late Chadwick Boseman starred as James Brown, for the biopic Get On Up, which Jagger also produced. In the same year, Jagger additionally served as a producer on the HBO documentary Mr. Dynamite: The Rise of James Brown."

I also had no idea Mick was so smitten with James Brown. If this ever gets broadcasted on tv I will watch that documentary.
Mick's performance style was copying James Brown & Tina Turner (from the Ike & Tina days). He just wasn't really a dancer, so he did it in his own way. Some other singers who was influenced by James are Roy Head, Wayne Cochran, & Micky Dolenz (Monkees). Even David Lee Roth said he was influenced by James Brown and also watching the dancers on Soul Train.

I don't mean to be controversial, and this can be removed if it's not allowed, forgive me, but how do people reconcile James Brown's less noble deeds and issues with their love of his music and art?

I don't mean to be controversial, and this can be removed if it's not allowed, forgive me, but how do people reconcile James Brown's less noble deeds and issues with their love of his music and art?
What deeds and issues are you referring to? The drug abuse?

It’s a good question, really. But he’s worth the benefit of a doubt. He denied laying his hand on his wife. I don’t really know what to make of it, but I see no reason as to why his word shouldn’t count for as much as the next person’s.

Then there’s the illegal carrying of firearms, and the high-octane car chase with alleged intent on ramming police cars… All attributed to the drugs, I’m sure.

I don’t give a damn about artists’ private lives. I don’t care who they date, how many children they have, how often they cheat on their wives, how often they were jailed for fighting, illegal arms possession, sexual misconduct, how much money they spend on prostitutes and or drugs, how much properties they have, how expensive their car is, what their political views are.
I do care about their music though.

I’ve been an MJ fan for 30+ years and I would still barely know anything about Michael’s private life if I wasn’t a member here.

I can say one think, artists who know nothing but success and fame often loose grip on reality, us mere mortals can’t comprehend that because we were never idolized. It does something with people’s minds to be constantly watched by paparazzi and fans, it is not normal and it is not healthy.
That is no excuse for anything that goes wrong in celebrities heads and actions but it is something you have to take into account either way.

I know 100% I would not be able to deal with being famous and like so many of them I would become drug addicted or alcoholic, maybe I would be even rude and lash out to paparazzi and annoying fans. It would all simply be too much for me to handle.
I also certainly would not be able to resist temptation of the thousands of women so a stable steady relationship would be impossible.

Now let me fantasize in peace about that last sentence...😊☺️ 🥰

I don’t give a damn about artists’ private lives. I don’t care who they date, how many children they have, how often they cheat on their wives, how often they were jailed for fighting, illegal arms possession, sexual misconduct, how much money they spend on prostitutes and or drugs, how much properties they have, how expensive their car is, what their political views are.
I do care about their music though.

I’ve been an MJ fan for 30+ years and I would still barely know anything about Michael’s private life if I wasn’t a member here.

I can say one think, artists who know nothing but success and fame often loose grip on reality, us mere mortals can’t comprehend that because we were never idolized. It does something with people’s minds to be constantly watched by paparazzi and fans, it is not normal and it is not healthy.
That is no excuse for anything that goes wrong in celebrities heads and actions but it is something you have to take into account either way.

I know 100% I would not be able to deal with being famous and like so many of them I would become drug addicted or alcoholic, maybe I would be even rude and lash out to paparazzi and annoying fans. It would all simply be too much for me to handle.
I also certainly would not be able to resist temptation of the thousands of women so a stable steady relationship would be impossible.

Now let me fantasize in peace about that last sentence...😊☺️ 🥰
So you're fine with Kanye and Gary Glitter?

Ok, fair enough

He's just said some particularly incidenary things about, Hitler and the Holocaust and the Jews.

The good thing about Hitler is that it inspired Charlie Chaplin to make “The Great Dictator”. I adore this movie!

I love artists who incorporate the mic stand in their performance.
Good pants as well, 4 splits and it didn’t rip apart.

Back