Janet Jackson announces new album

Well Michael was following one of the biggest and most significant albums in pop history, not to mention it being released less than 2 years after one of the biggest scandals ever to rock the entertainment industry. The return of MJ couldn't have been bigger and he responded to that. Rightly or wrongly.

The point is, Janet has drifted into obscurity after a series of terrible albums. So this sounds pretty cringey to me.

Despite that, I'm interested to hear what she does, I hope it will be back to her best.

And so we're all clear, being a fan of Michael Jackson doesn't mean you agree with every aspect of his life and career.

Haters gone hate, thats what they're made for! i thought i would make it through this thread without seeing any Janet shade, but you saved the day! lol

Hopefully Jam & Lewis are producing the whole album. IMO she hasn't had a great album since the mid 90's. Velvet Rope was ok, but IMO the Janet album was her peak. Can't wait to hear new music, and as stated earlier, would be interesting if we hear a track in dedication to Michael.

A fan of her old songs, but not a fan of the person anymore. Good luck to her, though.

In a way, this makes me sad. Knowing, as a Michael fan, I will never get to hear this kind of news from him ever again :cry:

Haters gone hate, thats what they're made for! i thought i would make it through this thread without seeing any Janet shade, but you saved the day! lol

It's naive to come here and not expect to see a range of opinions expressed.

I was looking forward to see her in concert once.
Not "so excited" now after her endorsement of fur and what she did to the kids, now... . And I don't buy the i love my brother-crap...
The Scream tribute back then was nice, though.

The point is, Janet has drifted into obscurity after a series of terrible albums.

It's naive to come here and not expect to see a range of opinions expressed.

To be honest, I don't really see how Chris is 'hating'... it's not like he's lying or making up stuff just to bring her down. If anything, it's the truth.

Janet Jackson Makes History Again

June 3, 2015

BMG TO RELEASE JANET JACKSON’S FIRST NEW ALBUM IN SEVEN YEARS THIS FALL 2015 THRU HER OWN RHYTHM NATION RECORDS

NEW YORK/BERLIN, 3 JUNE 2015 – BMG is proud to announce that it will release the first album in seven years from Janet Jackson, icon, music artist, B.E.T honored, award-winning songwriter, producer, singer, Oscar and Golden Globe nominee and winner of the NAACP Best Supporting Actor award, publisher, dancer, businessperson, philanthropist and one of biggest-selling artists in popular music history.

The worldwide partnership with Janet Jackson’s Rhythm Nation will see the release in Fall 2015 of her first as-yet-untitled album and a commitment to pursue the full range of options within the broader Bertelsmann group of which BMG is part. With Rhythm Nation Janet Jackson becomes arguably the first female African-American recording artist to form her own record label. At Rhythm Nation Janet plans to offer a home to both new and established recording artists.

The partnership with BMG makes Janet Jackson the biggest worldwide superstar yet to quit the traditional record label system for a so-called artist services deal, designed to put artists in the driving seat. Unlike a traditional record deal, under an artist services deal the artist retains ownership of their recordings and full oversight of all costs and revenues.

With sales of over 160 million records worldwide, Janet Jackson stands as one of the best-selling artists of all time as well as one of the most awarded with a string of hits that have left an indelible impression on pop culture. Her lengthy string of hits has powerfully influenced popular music, leaving an indelible impression on pop culture and opening doors through which other top artists have followed, many acknowledging her impact on their musical perceptions.

Ms. Jackson’s May 16 announcement of an upcoming new album and a world tour via #ConversationsInACafe sent fans into a social media frenzy.

BMG CEO Hartwig Masuch said, “Janet is not just a supreme artist, she is a unique cultural force whose work resonates around the world. It is an honor that she has chosen BMG to release her long-awaited new album. We look forward to collaborating with her across every platform.”

Janet commented, “Thank you to the talented team at BMG, my new artistic home. The opportunity to be creative in music and every form of entertainment has great potential here.”

Jon Cohen, EVP of Recorded Music at BMG Chrysalis US said, “Janet is a cultural icon and pop star like no other. The release of her long-awaited new album will undoubtedly be one of the musical highlights of 2015. It is an honor to work with her.”

Janet began her career at the age of seven when she first performed with her family at the MGM in Las Vegas. The worldwide breakthrough came with her third album Controlin 1986, her legendary collaboration with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis which created the musical fusion of pop, R&B, soul, dance, jazz, rock and rap which defines her unique sound. Control won four American Music Awards out of twelve nominations and was nominated for an Album of the Year at the Grammys.

Next came Rhythm Nation 1814, a socially-conscious album critiquing injustice, illiteracy, crime, drugs, and racial intolerance, which last year celebrated its 25thanniversary. It remains the only album yet to have launched number one hits on the Billboard Hot 100 in three separate calendar years

1993’s janet sent her career into the stratosphere and brought the worldwide smash ‘That’s The Way Love Goes’. From 1995’s Design Of A Decade retrospective through studio albums The Velvet Rope, All For You and Discipline, Janet has continued to thrill and inspire her fans worldwide.

Janet Jackson is one of very few music artists to have also achieved a successful acting career. Initially known as a young TV star, her first three films opened at number one at the box office with her next two big screen projects opening in the top three. Janet’s music has also made an impact in the film world when the artist received an Academy Award Nomination in the Best Music, Original Song category.

Zach Katz, Chief Creative Officer, BMG Chrysalis US, said: “Janet’s list of achievements and accomplishments is truly staggering. She is a global artist whose career has touched on virtually every area of popular culture. Her new album will undoubtedly have a significant impact. We look forward to collaborating with her and Rhythm Nation to nurture a new generation of artists.”

Venus Brown, for BMG Chrysalis US added: “As die-hard fans of her work and of the musical jewels that Janet Jackson has bestowed upon the world, we are beyond thrilled that she has chosen BMG to be her new partner. Her music and her video and concert styling, particularly Rhythm Nation 1814, changed the course of pop music.”

The agreement with Janet Jackson’s Rhythm Nation Records is the latest high-profile milestone for the new BMG, just six-and-a-half years since its launch. Key to the BMG approach is a commitment to transparency and fairness to artists, typified by its Artist Services deals. Over the past year BMG has released albums by the likes of alt-J, The Smashing Pumpkins, Anastacia, Backstreet Boys, Nena, Bryan Ferry, You Me At Six and The Charlatans.

Janet Jackson is represented by William Morris Endeavor, Sterling Winters Company, attorneys Tom Hoberman and Don Steele, and JDJ Entertainment.

http://www.janetjackson.com/news/all/janet-jackson-makes-history-again#.VW8DRFKLXVR

I refuse to support anything she does.. She showed her true colors when MJ passed, and it was not pretty.

With Rhythm Nation Janet Jackson becomes arguably the first female African-American recording artist to form her own record label.

Congratulations to Janet. She earned it and deserves it. I wish her continued success.

Sugarhill

With Rhythm Nation Janet Jackson becomes arguably the first female African-American recording artist to form her own record label.
Not exactly true. Sylvia Robinson, who was an R&B singer in the 1960s & 1970s, and is mostly known for the 1973 R&B hit Pillow Talk, started the rap label Sugarhill Records around 1978 or 1979. Sugarhill had early hip hop acts like Sugarhill Gang, The Sequence, Funky Four + One, and Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5. Betty Wright also had her own label Ms. B Records.

DuranDuran, arguably. Robinson formed an independent with her husband. Janet is forming hers with a major (Bertelsmann/Sony). Both made an achievement.

My sentiments exactly, jaydom. It baffles me how any MJ fan can support her after what she did when he was murdered. You can bet if the tables were turned and Michael had done what she did, not a single Janet fan would support him.

Re: Sugarhill

Not exactly true. Sylvia Robinson, who was an R&B singer in the 1960s & 1970s, and is mostly known for the 1973 R&B hit Pillow Talk, started the rap label Sugarhill Records around 1978 or 1979. Sugarhill had early hip hop acts like Sugarhill Gang, The Sequence, Funky Four + One, and Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5. Betty Wright also had her own label Ms. B Records.

I guess that's why they wrote "arguably". LOL.

My sentiments exactly, jaydom. It baffles me how any MJ fan can support her after what she did when he was murdered. You can bet if the tables were turned and Michael had done what she did, not a single Janet fan would support him.

I think about this too. Her behavior in 2012 doesn't sit well with me, but at the same time I do love her music, so I can only sit and wait and see what happens.

What is everyone saying about Janet doing some stuff after her brother's death? And to the kids? Someone explain please? I think I missed something...

What is everyone saying about Janet doing some stuff after her brother's death? And to the kids? Someone explain please? I think I missed something...

This is a SUPER DUPER short summary! I apologize for major points I missed, those who remember more please feel free to fill in. It was pure stupid family drama BS so I only really half paid attention at the time:

So, Michael only named his mother and children in his will. Joe and half the siblings have contested this, saying it's not current and that the will isn't valid, etc. Fighting to be beneficiaries and on the trust fund essentially. A lot of it culminated in 2012 when Katherine suddenly went "missing" from Calabasas and half the siblings were "supervising" her in Arizona while she was "doctors orders of rest." Janet was one of these siblings. There was a letter sent out saying that they didn't believe the will was real, they were going to fight, etc. Jackie originally signed it but then recanted, I think Tito did the same.

The idea behind Katherine being taken is that they could coerce her into relinquishing money/power as her part in the will. PPB had no idea what was going on and were asking for Katherine and weren't allowed to contact her, etc. There is footage of Janet showing up at Calabasas (I think? I don't think they were in Hayvenhurst) and yanking a phone out of Paris' hands and stuff, just being really weird and catty.

Because of all this, the kids were legally left unsupervised, so TJ was initially granted full temporary guardianship; once Katherine returned, her guardianship was reinstated and they both have it over the kidlets.

It's really weird, I know this is a crappy re-explanation of everything but yeah. Details are fuzzy because it was weird and non-stop for a couple weeks when it all went down. And so people hate Janet now because she was involved with the Jermaine/Joe side of things and was essentially money-grabbing, especially odd because she is the wealthiest living family member.

I'm not sure if there was any other BS after that, because I just had to stop and be like hold up, no thanks with this mess after Katherine got back home safe. But yeah. Janet was acting trashy and stupid and there's no real reason or motivation behind her actions. It's really uncharacteristic of her, or what we know of her anyway, and it wouldn't surprised me she was guilted or goaded into it by Jermaine or Randy.

Are we really going to judge Michael's SISTER based on speculation and no confirmation of the truth behind the situation? You all know better than that. Michael taught us better than that.

^^
Prince Jackson · @princemjjjaxon
26th Jul 2012 from Twitlonger

I would first like to start off this tweet by thanking the fans that have always stood by me and my family, my dad really appreciated your support and I still treasure it to this day. As I am sure everyone is well aware of the events that have been going on. I have not been backing up my sister and her tweets avidly because I was waiting for the time to reveal my side. As long as I can remember my dad had repeatedly warned me of certain people and their ways. Although I am happy my grandma was returned, after speaking with her I realized how misguided and how badly she was lied to. I’m really angry and hurt. The following image is of a group chat I had started to several family members. This group text message I had initially sent was replied to but they didn’t know that I could see the responses. For this whole time, we were denied contact to our grandmother. “If you continue with your lies I will continue with the truth”

-Michael Jackson Jr.
please RT this so it doesn't leave twitter as well as the attached image

AywvOqQCMAAScUK.jpg

Prince's twitter was hacked and those two above were removed, but he was angry enough to post it again, and see what he says about retweeting it.

It is not speculation based on tabloids, but based on family members tweets, statements released and court documents.

@Reibish, Jackie never signed the letter. It was Tito and Jermaine who withdrew their names from that letter leaving Janet and Randy the only ones standing behind that foolish letter.

Last edited:
DuranDuran, arguably. Robinson formed an independent with her husband. Janet is forming hers with a major (Bertelsmann/Sony). Both made an achievement.
Independent or major does not matter. Betty Wright's label was by herself. Janelle Monae also started a label not that long ago. Aretha Franklin's released an album called A Woman Falling Out Of Love that was on her own label too. How about Vee Jay Records started in the 1950s by Vivian Carter and her husband in the 1950s? They were a black couple.

DuranDuran, I agree with you. The word arguably is used for the very instances you stated. It is a carefully worded press release and it does not diminish the accomplishments of Janet or the others you mentioned.

No one is judging Michael's sister based on speculation. This is based on FACTS. Janet did this to her own BROTHER and her BROTHER'S children. No one forced Janet to do what she did because she was the ring leader behind the "kidnapping" of Katherine. It was Janet who arranged for a doctor to tell Katherine that she needed rest. It was Janet who arranged the spa get away. It was Janet who sent HER bodyguards to try and convince Michael's children to go with them in order to see their grandmother who they hadn't spoken to in days. It was Janet who tried to take Paris' phone because this young girl was concerned why she and her brothers hadn't spoken to their caretaker, Katherine. It was Janet who told Other family members NOT to allow the children to speak to Katherine. Please spare me the excuses that someone put her up to it. She along with Randy and others attempted to take control of Michael's estate for selfish, greedy reasons and there is no getting away from the FACTS just because some like Janet's music. I would have a little respect for her if she would admit what she did. However, she allowed a CHILD, Paris, to take the hate and Janet just sat back and allowed her own niece to be slandered by her (Janet) fans. Personally, I will never forget or forgive her for that. If it had not been for Paris and Prince- Janet's plan to take control of the children and Michael's estate would have worked. Two CHILDREN stopped this attempted takeover because of concern for a missing grandmother and because of being AWARE.

Last edited:
I agree with you. :agree:
No one is judging Michael's sister based on speculation. This is based on FACTS. Janet did this to her own BROTHER and her BROTHER'S children. No one forced Janet to do what she did because she was the ring leader behind the "kidnapping" of Katherine. It was Janet who arranged for a doctor to tell Katherine that she needed rest. It was Janet who arranged the spa get away. It was Janet who sent HER bodyguards to try and convince Michael's children to go with them in order to see their grandmother who they hadn't spoken to in days. It was Janet who tried to take Paris' phone because this young girl was concerned why she and her brothers hadn't spoken to their caretaker, Katherine. It was Janet who told Other family members NOT to allow the children to speak to Katherine. Please spare me the excuses that someone put her up to it. She along with Randy and others attempted to take control of Michael's estate for selfish, greedy reasons and there is no getting away from the FACTS just because some like Janet's music. I would have a little respect for her if she would admit what she did. However, she allowed a CHILD, Paris, to take the hate and Janet just sat back and allowed her own niece to be slandered by her (Janet) fans. Personally, I will never forget or forgive her for that. If it had not been for Paris and Prince- Janet's plan to take control of the children and Michael's estate would have worked. Two CHILDREN stopped this attempted takeover because of concern for a missing grandmother and because of being AWARE.
Well said. :agree:

What Janet did to Michael's children was the most horrendous act of betrayal done to her brother but as jaydom said, she began showing her true colors publicly after Michael passed. She gave to the Estate a $40,000 check to secure him a crypt place in FL. You may think as I did, how thoughtful of her even though Michael payed his funerary expenses beforehand (her money could've been used for the memorial expenses or anything similar) , knowing this, she asked the Estate for her money back (the receipt exists but I can't find it again). That was very tacky and greedy of her but she didn't object the Estate paying for her transportation, wardrobe for the memorial and using MICHAEL'S MONEY to buy a crypt in FL, as well as the rest of the Jacksons.

Then in 2010, she began spouting crap on Oprah about him being very sick and a drug addict when she hadn't been in contact with him since she and the siblings tried to force him to tour with them in 2007. Why did she lie? Did the truth go out of fashion? Why didn't she take responsibility of her actions instead of letting other to put the blame on an orphaned minor?

It baffles me as well how some fans keep supporting her after what she did to the children and how she betrayed her brother. It seems some of you can separate her music from her deplorable behavior but I honestly can't do it. I used to like some of her 90's songs and I really felt sympathetic towards her for the heinously chauvinistic treatment she got in 2004 but after all she did, no more. If she fails miserably in her comeback because most of her fans (which are mostly MJ fans) don't support her for her past actions, I'll be glad.

Last edited:
DuranDuran, I agree with you. The word arguably is used for the very instances you stated. It is a carefully worded press release and it does not diminish the accomplishments of Janet or the others you mentioned.
I don't know what's "arguably" about it. It's not an opinion, it can be proven that Janet is not the 1st. :D If someone said Janet is arguably a better dancer than Ciara, then that would seem to be a better use of the word to me. The way the line in the article is written, it's the same as saying Bill Clinton is arguably the 1st president of the USA, when it can be proven he is not.

DuranDuran, I stated I agreed with you and it is a carefully worded press release.

President Barack Obama is not the first president but, he is known as the first African-American president. This is what happens when a view is changed, slanted, etc. for a particular purpose. Stating the current President is a first of sorts does not negate his accomplishment of being the 44th.

I am sure there is a scenario where Janet can arguably be listed as the first. Examples: they may want to consider her the first African-American female to partner with BMG. They may want to consider her the first African-American female close to 50 years of age to partner with BMG. They may want to consider her the first African-American female close to 50 years of age whose last name is Jackson to partner with BMG. They may want to consider her the first African-American female close to 50 years of age whose last name is Jackson and is quite beautiful to partner with BMG. They may want to consider her the first African-American female close to 50 years of age whose last name is Jackson and is quite beautiful and had X number of tour dates, received X number of awards, etc. to partner with BMG, etc.

The comment does not negate the accomplishment of Janet or the others mentioned.

Last edited:
DuranDuran, I stated I agreed with you and it is a carefully worded press release.

This is what happens when a view is changed, slanted, etc. for a particular purpose.

I am sure there is a scenario where Janet can arguably be listed as the first. Examples: they may want to consider her the first African-American female to partner with BMG. They may want to consider her the first African-American female close to 50 years of age whose last name is Jackson and is quite beautiful to partner with BMG. .
Haha. That was funny. Shows how the press can always be right, I guess.

The comment does not negate the accomplishment of Janet or the others mentioned.
She can't accomplish something 1st if it already happened. It's not the same thing as Obama. She only accomplished starting a label. Going by this logic, then Columbus discovered America when he never set foot in it. He landed in Hispaniola, which already had people living there, so he "discovered" nothing. Even if he had landed in America, there were people there, and others have sailed there before him like the Vikings and the Chinese. Also, if Motown puts out a press release saying Mike is 11, when he is really 13, then I guess that makes it so. Anybody can put anything in a press release or spin article. It does not make it true.

Back