Janet Jackson on Dateline - Sunday, Feb.13th

ExoticPrincess

Guests
Here's the link to the preview

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032600/#/41461621

Air date: Sunday Feb. 13th at 7pm / 6c

My first thought upon hearing about this, was here we go again, 'cause you all know Meredith Viera is gonna go there most likely, but I'll hold my tongue and not say anything further.

BTW....Stacy J, from viewing this bit of the interview you were actually right about a couple of things all along.

Last edited:
There's something so insincere about the way she talks about Michael and "grieving" for him...idk, I'm not tryna hate on Janet and I'm sure she loved/loves her brother but I just don't feel it. Anyhoo...

I am not going to watch. I can't take these interviews anymore.

OMG!! I can't believe how right StacyJ has been.

Damn....I bow to you.

I can't believe 19 months later, the family is still doing interview about MJ's death....It's all about MJ..and side project.

No wonder she had no time to grieve...or CRY.

I will definitely be watching this...and taking notes.

Here's the link to the preview

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032600/#/41461621

Air date: Sunday Feb. 13th at 7pm / 6c

My first thought upon hearing about this, was here we go again, 'cause you all know Meredith Viera is gonna go there most likely, but I'll hold my tongue and not say anything further.

BTW....Stacy J, from viewing this bit of the interview you were actually right about a couple of things all along.

yeah I knew it... She showed absolutely no sadness or grief at all.. very cold and stoic. After viewing this brief interview I know I won't be watching. Janet is just so fake to me. I can't stand it

yeah I knew it... She showed absolutely no sadness or grief at all.. very cold and stoic. After viewing this brief interview I know I won't be watching. Janet is just so fake to me. I can't stand it

Believe me when I heard her say she had'nt grieved for him up until recently when she was in Paris, I was like, what??? I was a wreck for months! I remembered you talking about her demeanor at the funeral service and about her not even crying and here she is confirming that.

This all explains her attitude on the Oprah interview and the Robyn Roberts interview even more, the woman I saw on those interviews came off so cold, not a grieving sister.

I remember people would say that people grieve differently. Apparently it seems she wasn't grieving for him until recently. I am not a therapist but something doesn't sound right about this.

Janet Jackson says brothers verbally abused her

Reuters Life!

4:26 PM PST, February 7, 2011

Los Angeles

Pop singer Janet Jackson says her big brother Michael Jackson used to tease her as a youngster about her bottom, while their other siblings called her a "horse," "pig" and "cow."

In an interview with NBC correspondent Meredith Vieira, on the promotional trail for her memoir, Jackson said the verbal abuse made her insecure about her looks.

"I would literally bang my head up against the wall because I didn't feel attractive," she said. "There was a lot of pain in my life. But I did. I felt very unattractive."

She used to laugh at the barnyard taunts, and said Michael's comments about her bottom were probably affectionate. But rather than confront him about his hurtful words, she simply internalized the pain.

Jackson, 44, relates her childhood trauma in her book "True You: A Journey to Finding and Loving Yourself," which will be published on Feb. 15.

As with her siblings, Jackson was beaten by her father who forced her to call him by his first name, Joseph. Still she escaped relatively lightly, recalling that she was struck with a belt just once.

"I know my father loves me," she said. "He just has a very, very different way of showing it."

Michael Jackson, almost eight years older than Janet, once tearfully recalled that his father would "tear you up" with a belt or some other convenient cord, and "would throw you up against the wall."

Of her brother, whom she last saw about six weeks before he died in 2009, Jackson said she embarked on the grieving process long after everyone else in the family.

"I don't know if it was trying to shield the pain, or just trying to hold it all together because I saw that everyone else around me was falling apart. And, never -- never taking that moment to really grieve. Really grieve, even at the service [in July 2009]."

But she recently allowed herself to watch his videos and listen to his music during a nightlong session in Paris.

"And, there was moments when I-- I felt the cry, and moments that made me laugh. And, it was good for me. I needed it," she said.

Jackson's NBC interview will air on Friday and next Monday on "Today," and Sunday Feb 13 on "Dateline."

Copyright © 2011, Reuters

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ally-abused-me-20110207,0,4163129,print.story

I hope MJ isn't the ONLY brother named.

MJ Rest In Peace, they can't hurt you anymore.

Where's Twinklee?

Last edited:
this really isn't about the family. it's clear that the media is obsessed with a superstar that they killed... murdered. (especially the american media that led the way.)

Janet said this same stuff back in 2007 before MJ died and when she was releasing her last album. She's basically saying the same thing she's been saying for the past 10 years.

its hard to believe her brother died and she never shed a tear...thats unbelievable. When my sister passed away...I literally cried in my sleep..I would wake up crying...that lasted for like probably close to a year....and I still had days when I cried...I still do some times and it will be 5 years. I just dont understand her. Maybe it goes back to her childhood...I just dont know about them Jackson's anymore. and to keep showing that damn book.....THAT got on my last nerve...blahh.. Not only that....but she is on a tour...like really your brothers murderer's trial is coming up and you tour???? They really are annoying...

I hope they don't portray Michael as the bad brother that teased her or anything. Michael had his own issues too. I think Janet could have been angry at Michael before his death about things. Maybe she was in denial about his death. I thought she wasn't going to talk about Michael anymore.

It is truly sad that Janet Jackson does not have even a clue, as to why
Michael Jackson is so special and so dearly loved.

Last edited:
I don't think Janet litterally meant that was her first time crying , she was pracatically about to burst into tears at the bet awards and you can kinda of tell that on in the spot light that if Janet wasn't smilling she was probably going to burst out into tears, but as Janet has stated repeatly , she holds stuff in, I think it was just her first time letting it go and , it's finally hitting her that he's gone. '

Janet didn;t single Michael out, the actual transcript she sas her brothers, we know Michael teased her and he got teased too, all kids get teased at some point about something, some could care less and other are very effected and Michael and Janet were of the latter. She dedicates this book to him.

I had suspected she has been trying to be strong and hold it all in, this is sad I can imagine some days it hits you like a brick. I'm very interested in reading about her journey, i've been waiting for this book since 2006.

All I want is if someone in his family is going to talk about him to talk who he was and how much he meant to them. That's it. Maybe that is boring but that's how I feel. Obviously this has not aired yet and I hope there is not talk about drugs and interventions. Please no more.

JACKSON ON BODY IMAGE:
MEREDITH VIEIRA: Back in your 20s, your album "Rhythm Nation" topping the charts, you were in a good place presumably. But you wrote in the book that you were so unrelentingly self-critical, that quote, "I hated what I saw in the mirror. I would literally bang my head against the wall because I felt so ugly." You really did that?
JANET JACKSON: I would literally bang my head up against the wall because I didn't feel attractive... There was a lot of pain in my life. But I did. I felt very unattractive.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: Where did that come from?
JANET JACKSON: It stems from my childhood. I remember being a kid, and I talk about it in the book even...
MEREDITH VIEIRA: You're talking about your sister, Rebbie...
JANET JACKSON: Yes, that is exactly where I'm going. There was this picture of my sister, Rebbie. And I would always look at her picture and I thought, "Oh Gosh, she's so beautiful. If I could only look like that when I get older. God, how gorgeous is she?" And I never ever felt attractive. And I still have issues with it. I don't bang my head up against the wall, but I still have those moments. And I think it'll probably continue but at least I know how to deal with it now. And I'm in a much better space.

JACKSON ON BEING TEASED AS A CHILD:
MEREDITH VIEIRA: Some of the teasing came from your family? From your brothers?
JANET JACKSON: Yes.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: Michael in particular would tease you about your butt?
JANET JACKSON: Yes, yes, yeah.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: And you write in the book that you thought it was probably affectionate, not meant to be cruel. But you internalized it.
JANET JACKSON: Yes, yes, yeah. He never meant for it to be cruel. He didn't realize what the effect that it was having on me...And it really effected me
MEREDITH VIEIRA: Why do you think you never said anything to Michael, because you're so close?
JANET JACKSON: Just the kind of kid that I was. I don't know, I never did. Never, ever did. Never said, "You know, that really hurts me when you say that." I got called a lot of names, a lot of names. I would laugh about it—
MEREDITH VIEIRA: What kinds of names?
JANET JACKSON: Horse, pig, cow, slaughter-hog—
MEREDITH VIEIRA: This is by your brothers?
JANET JACKSON: Yeah. (LAUGH) It makes you laugh, it really does. It makes you laugh. I guess some people could say, "Oh that's, you know, brothers and sisters joking, it's all affection, it's all, you know, it's in a loving way." But not everybody can brush it off, and I was one of those.

JACKSON ON HER FATHER:
MEREDITH VIEIRA: I think you open up about your dad a lot in this book.
JANET JACKSON: My father and I, we've gone through our moments, we've had a different kind of relationship... My father was never there the way I really wanted a father to be...I would see my friends interact with their dad and I would say to myself, "That's what I want to do. I want to be able to sit on his lap. I want to be able to call him, 'Dad'."
MEREDITH VIEIRA: You called him Joseph, right?
JANET JACKSON: Yeah, he said, "That my name to you. You call me Joseph. You don't call me Da—" I tried it once.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: To call him dad?
JANET JACKSON: Yeah.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: And what happened?
JANET JACKSON: He said, "I'm Joseph to you. You do not call me dad." See, you're gonna start me to going here. That affects you as a kid... I know my father loves me. He just has a very, very different way of showing it.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: You give your dad credit for activating your career. You're also blunt, Janet, you — and Michael said this too, that you were scared —
JANET JACKSON: Of course.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: — of your dad and there was a time when you were, I guess, in the bath and he struck you with a belt when you came out?
JANET JACKSON: That was the only time my father ever whupped me.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: How old were you then?
JANET JACKSON: I was very young, very young. And I can't even remember what I did, but I remember it happening. And I don't think I deserved it. I don't think it should have ever happened. A lot of times I felt that my father would take things out on us because of — I don't know, issues outside of the home. But we were, we were afraid of my father, growing up.

JACKSON ON MICHAEL:
MEREDITH VIEIRA: Your brother, Michael. You've dedicated your book to Mike. And, there's a great picture in here that I just fell in love with. You say, "Mike named me Dunk, and we shared every dream, every confidence. I was his little sister. He always knew that I had his back." What do you mean, "You always had his back?"
JANET JACKSON: We had each other's back. But, later on in life, certain things that he was going through — I tried to be there for him as much as I could. And, even well, Scream, the song, the video...all the allegations at the time... I'm his little sister there, supporting him, and— and that's what the song is about.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: And, the last time you saw Michael was around your birthday.
JANET JACKSON: Two days before my birthday.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: Did you tell him you loved him?
JANET JACKSON: Yeah. The last thing we said to one another.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: It was.
JANET JACKSON: Yeah. I said, "I love you." He says, "I love you too, Dunk."
MEREDITH VIEIRA: You wrote, "I can't describe our pain in losing a brother, or the pain of his children in losing their father, or the pain of my parents in losing their son. I still have not seen the film, 'This Is It.' I still can't watch any of his videos, listen to his music. I'm certain that one day I'll again be able to enjoy the miraculous sound of his voice, and the marvelous sight of his dancing. But, that day has not yet arrived. The mourning continues." Where are you in that process, Janet, at this point?
JANET JACKSON: I finally was able to — I was in Paris. And, it was one of those — one of those moments. At some point you have to — you have to move on. And, trying to do that, and it being really difficult. And, there's still not a day that goes by where I don't think about him. Not one day. Not one day. And — kind of pushing myself, forcing myself, to a certain degree, to get over this because it's— it's not the healthiest.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: It can be debilitating —
JANET JACKSON: Yes, very much so. And, I just spent the night just watching all his videos, listening to his music. And, there was moments when I — I felt the cry, and moments that made me laugh. And, it was good for me. I needed it. Out of everyone in my family, I never had that moment to cry about his death.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: Why didn't you have that moment?
JANET JACKSON: I don't know if it was trying to shield the pain, or just trying to hold it all together because I saw that everyone else around me was falling apart. And, never — never taking that moment to really grieve. Really grieve, even at the service.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: That night in Paris, did you really grieve?
JANET JACKSON: There's more to come. I know there's more to come.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: It's almost, in its own way, a bit on a different level, reminiscent of you as a kid, holding everything in, and, eventually —
JANET JACKSON: Eventually releasing it.

LOL SOME of you are so sad and pathetic. You act like you KNEW Michael and the relationship he had with his SISTER!

YOU are a FAN Janet was his BLOOD!

Everyone deals with death differently. Stop judging her.

And obviously Meredith was going to 'go there' have you seen an interview where a Jackson is not asked about Michael? He was the biggest star in the world.

FYI this was not an interview about Michael. Janet is promoting her new book and sold out world tour. Thanks.

Deal with it.

Memefan;3234837 said:
By the way, that person who called you out when you wrote that Janet hadn't cried at the memorial needs to apologize.

That person was me and why do I have to apologize? StacyJ didnt knew for a FACT until Janet confirmed it.. and that was my damn issue, if you dont know for a fact then its better not to speculate at all. StacyJ was just making some damn assumptions based on the very few shots of Janet during that memorial and since she didnt knew for a fact, yes I said it was wrong of her because at that time she had no idea.

What I also said was that its obvious the family has been grieving in their own special way- there is absolutely no right or wrong way to grieve. Do they have to burst out in tears in public to please the fancommunity? If Janet never cried up til recently, does that mean she wasnt grieving the loss of her brother?

StacyJ kinde make it look like the family havnt looked devastated at all or grieving which i also think is not right.

Im sure Janet has been grieving, doesnt it say a lot that it took almost a year or more for her to even be able to listen to Michaels music and watch his videos? She says in the interview that she is still mourning. It seems like Janet has been avoiding the pain, trying to escape and not realize the fact her brother died. That is also grieving.. like I said, i believe they have been grieving -in their own way and noone has the right to say they are grieving the right way or not. its getting old now.

MsCassieMollie;3234903 said:
MEREDITH VIEIRA: And you write in the book that you thought it was probably affectionate, not meant to be cruel. But you internalized it.
JANET JACKSON: Yes, yes, yeah. He never meant for it to be cruel. He didn't realize what the effect that it was having on me...And it really effected me
MEREDITH VIEIRA: Why do you think you never said anything to Michael, because you're so close?
JANET JACKSON: Just the kind of kid that I was. I don't know, I never did. Never, ever did. Never said, "You know, that really hurts me when you say that." I got called a lot of names, a lot of names. I would laugh about it—
JANET JACKSON: Yeah. (LAUGH) It makes you laugh, it really does. It makes you laugh. I guess some people could say, "Oh that's, you know, brothers and sisters joking, it's all affection, it's all, you know, it's in a loving way." But not everybody can brush it off, and I was one of those.

Something tells me ppl are gonna make a big deal out of this saying Janet is throwing MJ under the bus again.. sighh! Michael has also been very vocal how his family called him names and teased him and that words can be more hurtful that physical violence sp ppl should be more understanding with Janet regarding this. Did we see any fans saying MJ was throwing his family under the bus? No so stop it god damn it. Dont be such a hypocrites.. its obvious both Janet and MJ suffered alot from the verbal bullying.

Last edited:
MsCassieMollie;3234903 said:
JACKSON ON BODY IMAGE:
MEREDITH VIEIRA: Back in your 20s, your album "Rhythm Nation" topping the charts, you were in a good place presumably. But you wrote in the book that you were so unrelentingly self-critical, that quote, "I hated what I saw in the mirror. I would literally bang my head against the wall because I felt so ugly." You really did that?
JANET JACKSON: I would literally bang my head up against the wall because I didn't feel attractive... There was a lot of pain in my life. But I did. I felt very unattractive.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: Where did that come from?
JANET JACKSON: It stems from my childhood. I remember being a kid, and I talk about it in the book even...
MEREDITH VIEIRA: You're talking about your sister, Rebbie...
JANET JACKSON: Yes, that is exactly where I'm going. There was this picture of my sister, Rebbie. And I would always look at her picture and I thought, "Oh Gosh, she's so beautiful. If I could only look like that when I get older. God, how gorgeous is she?" And I never ever felt attractive. And I still have issues with it. I don't bang my head up against the wall, but I still have those moments. And I think it'll probably continue but at least I know how to deal with it now. And I'm in a much better space.

JACKSON ON BEING TEASED AS A CHILD:

JACKSON ON HER FATHER:
MEREDITH VIEIRA: I think you open up about your dad a lot in this book.
JANET JACKSON: My father and I, we've gone through our moments, we've had a different kind of relationship... My father was never there the way I really wanted a father to be...I would see my friends interact with their dad and I would say to myself, "That's what I want to do. I want to be able to sit on his lap. I want to be able to call him, 'Dad'."
MEREDITH VIEIRA: You called him Joseph, right?
JANET JACKSON: Yeah, he said, "That my name to you. You call me Joseph. You don't call me Da—" I tried it once.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: To call him dad?
JANET JACKSON: Yeah.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: And what happened?
JANET JACKSON: He said, "I'm Joseph to you. You do not call me dad." See, you're gonna start me to going here. That affects you as a kid... I know my father loves me. He just has a very, very different way of showing it.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: You give your dad credit for activating your career. You're also blunt, Janet, you — and Michael said this too, that you were scared —
JANET JACKSON: Of course.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: — of your dad and there was a time when you were, I guess, in the bath and he struck you with a belt when you came out?
JANET JACKSON: That was the only time my father ever whupped me.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: How old were you then?
JANET JACKSON: I was very young, very young. And I can't even remember what I did, but I remember it happening. And I don't think I deserved it. I don't think it should have ever happened. A lot of times I felt that my father would take things out on us because of — I don't know, issues outside of the home. But we were, we were afraid of my father, growing up.

JACKSON ON MICHAEL:
MEREDITH VIEIRA: Your brother, Michael. You've dedicated your book to Mike. And, there's a great picture in here that I just fell in love with. You say, "Mike named me Dunk, and we shared every dream, every confidence. I was his little sister. He always knew that I had his back." What do you mean, "You always had his back?"
JANET JACKSON: We had each other's back. But, later on in life, certain things that he was going through — I tried to be there for him as much as I could. And, even well, Scream, the song, the video...all the allegations at the time... I'm his little sister there, supporting him, and— and that's what the song is about.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: And, the last time you saw Michael was around your birthday.
JANET JACKSON: Two days before my birthday.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: Did you tell him you loved him?
JANET JACKSON: Yeah. The last thing we said to one another.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: It was.
JANET JACKSON: Yeah. I said, "I love you." He says, "I love you too, Dunk."
MEREDITH VIEIRA: You wrote, "I can't describe our pain in losing a brother, or the pain of his children in losing their father, or the pain of my parents in losing their son. I still have not seen the film, 'This Is It.' I still can't watch any of his videos, listen to his music. I'm certain that one day I'll again be able to enjoy the miraculous sound of his voice, and the marvelous sight of his dancing. But, that day has not yet arrived. The mourning continues." Where are you in that process, Janet, at this point?
JANET JACKSON: I finally was able to — I was in Paris. And, it was one of those — one of those moments. At some point you have to — you have to move on. And, trying to do that, and it being really difficult. And, there's still not a day that goes by where I don't think about him. Not one day. Not one day. And — kind of pushing myself, forcing myself, to a certain degree, to get over this because it's— it's not the healthiest.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: It can be debilitating —
JANET JACKSON: Yes, very much so. And, I just spent the night just watching all his videos, listening to his music. And, there was moments when I — I felt the cry, and moments that made me laugh. And, it was good for me. I needed it. Out of everyone in my family, I never had that moment to cry about his death.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: Why didn't you have that moment?
JANET JACKSON: I don't know if it was trying to shield the pain, or just trying to hold it all together because I saw that everyone else around me was falling apart. And, never — never taking that moment to really grieve. Really grieve, even at the service.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: That night in Paris, did you really grieve?
JANET JACKSON: There's more to come. I know there's more to come.
MEREDITH VIEIRA: It's almost, in its own way, a bit on a different level, reminiscent of you as a kid, holding everything in, and, eventually —
JANET JACKSON: Eventually releasing it.

Thank you.

first her and Michael called EACH OTHER names...its what kids do..yes some are more sensitive than others,..Ya know what their BIGGEST problem was....both of them....fricken.Joe....he was their biggest problem.....if he wasn't such an ass and was a better father...he wouldn't of left such a negative impression on either one of them. He is the one that made those kids so self conscience of they way they looked....he was the tormentor....Joe should be ashamed of himself.

first her and Michael called EACH OTHER names...its what kids do..yes some are more sensitive than others,..Ya know what their BIGGEST problem was....both of them....fricken.Joe....he was their biggest problem.....if he wasn't such an ass and was a better father...he wouldn't of left such a negative impression on either one of them. He is the one that made those kids so self conscience of they way they looked....he was the tormentor....Joe should be ashamed of himself.

Co-SIGN!!!!!!!!!

That person was me and why do I have to apologize? StacyJ didnt knew for a FACT until Janet confirmed it.. and that was my damn issue, if you dont know for a fact then its better not to speculate at all. StacyJ was just making some damn assumptions based on the very few shots of Janet during that memorial and since she didnt knew for a fact, yes I said it was wrong of her because at that time she had no idea.

What I also said was that its obvious the family has been grieving in their own special way- there is absolutely no right or wrong way to grieve. Do they have to burst out in tears in public to please the fancommunity? If Janet never cried up til recently, does that mean she wasnt grieving the loss of her brother?

StacyJ kinde make it look like the family havnt looked devastated at all or grieving which i also think is not right.

Im sure Janet has been grieving, doesnt it say a lot that it took almost a year or more for her to even be able to listen to Michaels music and watch his videos? She says in the interview that she is still mourning. It seems like Janet has been avoiding the pain, trying to escape and not realize the fact her brother died. That is also grieving.. like I said, i believe they have been grieving -in their own way and noone has the right to say they are grieving the right way or not. its getting old now.

Something tells me ppl are gonna make a big deal out of this saying Janet is throwing MJ under the bus again.. sighh! Michael has also been very vocal how his family called him names and teased him and that words can be more hurtful that physical violence sp ppl should be more understanding with Janet regarding this. Did we see any fans saying MJ was throwing his family under the bus? No so stop it god damn it. Dont be such a hypocrites.. its obvious both Janet and MJ suffered alot from the verbal bullying.

Look in the mirror....

Siblings calling each other names is normal...it happens in every goddamned family. My siblings called me names...and you better believe I did the same.

MJ called out his FATHER, not his siblings. Even when Oprah asked him if his siblings were jealous of him, he said no. Even though, we come to know the truth since June 25th 2009.

A parent is supposed to protect you..not bully you. Calling out his father, who was/is alive at the time & able to put out his side of the story, is a different ballgame.

What about getting it right..for once.

Michael cannot defend himself...maybe she called him names too. The point is, he is not here to defend himself. ..and that is a coward move on Janet's part. Selling a book isn't worth destroying the memories of a dead sibling.

She wouldn't dare say these things while he was alive. She is rebuilding her career on her dead brother's back and that is not cool.

Last edited:
Back