John Barnes should be credited as the main producer of Bad

Love hearing about the effort he went into when it came to tracking down all the appropriate tracks from various sessions and making sure that what he's mixing is representative of what was done at the time.
Same mate, it's still incredible to me that they found Song Groove in two halves on two separate tapes. So fortunate, hopefully there's more songs like that in the vault

Btw on topic of Bad 25, is it true that Buffalo Bill was going to be on the album but the estate pulled out the song at the last minute to put more remixes? If so that's bleak lol.

Streetwalker is a good song but it sounds similar to TWYMMF....if it wasn't used as an album track, they could've used it as a b-side but I think APOM was the better choice.
Agree with this. It would've just blended in on the album and not be a standout.

Just Good Friends should never have made the album though. Surely there was stronger material written by MJ that should have replaced it.

Just good friends is obviously not as strong as streetwalker or other unreleased Bad album cuts, but sometimes you need a simple song like that to make an "album" rather than just a collection of hit songs. That is the only downside of Bad album when I listen to it. The lesser songs on Bad, such as "Just Good friends" help the album feel less calculated and more care free, even if it is a weaker song. The weaker songs on Bad only make the hits stand out even more.

Agree with this. It would've just blended in on the album and not be a standout.

Just Good Friends should never have made the album though. Surely there was stronger material written by MJ that should have replaced it.

Out of the Hayvenhurst demos, Cheater [to me] might be the only one that would've been a cohesive addition to Bad

Streetwalker is a good song but it sounds similar to TWYMMF....if it wasn't used as an album track, they could've used it as a b-side but I think APOM was the better choice.
Sounds like dangerous to me🤭🤭

I'll never understand if Quincy knew it wasn't right...then why even add it. Instead of replacing apom...he could've just remixed streetwalker & added it to the album...but then again...we juuuuuust might have not gotten the song dangerous,then again...after listening to some interpolations..I can see him using it again

imo the album version of APOM is overproduced.

I like the Captain EO version though. Especially its bass line is a killer.

I wish this version had been released by now - either on TUC or Bad25.

I agree. And yet it still sounds really good. And better than the higher pitched single cuts in the compilations.

The EO version is great [John Barnes mixed it] but I think it's missing that UMPH when it comes to being included in Bad

“Streetwalker” is good, but the last minute and a half or so loses me. The demo’s alternate chorus is exceedingly superior; it’s the only version I listen to.

“Another Part of Me” was definitely the way to go.

“Streetwalker” is good, but the last minute and a half or so loses me. The demo’s alternate chorus is exceedingly superior; it’s the only version I listen to.

“Another Part of Me” was definitely the way to go.
Well that's a weird take if i've ever seen one, why is it weird? Because it doesn't match my own, of course!
Just kidding, but i don't agree at all, i find the original chorus to work way better as a refrain just like it is in the officially released 1988 mix.

It's weird to imagine the Bad album without Another Part Of Me, I just associate it so much with the album and the Bad Tour. It's got the energy, the lyrics and the killer groove.

I've always thought Streetwalker was similar to TWYMMF than APOM, if Streetwalker had been on the record it would have been too similar to TWYMMF in my opinion. I do love the 87 version though with the alternative chorus

It's weird to imagine the Bad album without Another Part Of Me, I just associate it so much with the album and the Bad Tour. It's got the energy, the lyrics and the killer groove.

I've always thought Streetwalker was similar to TWYMMF than APOM, if Streetwalker had been on the record it would have been too similar to TWYMMF in my opinion. I do love the 87 version though with the alternative chorus
The 1986 one has the alternate chorus, the 87 version has the same chorus as the 88 one!
And i agree, i think APOM was the perfect choice for the album, Streetwalker is way too similar to TWYMMF in theme

Back