John Barnes should be credited as the main producer of Bad

Completely heretic. The lower key version sounds weird.
Are you tasteless? 1989 is superior in every way. The groove, the funk, the backing vocals. The guitar and drums come through more, the synths a little weird but overall. Only thing 88 has over it is MJ; he sounds way more ragged by that point, in 1988 he sounds healthy.

Are you tasteless? 1989 is superior in every way. The groove, the funk, the backing vocals. The guitar and drums come through more, the synths a little weird but overall. Only thing 88 has over it is MJ; he sounds way more ragged by that point, in 1988 he sounds healthy.
The main ingredient is lacking in 1989: Greg Phillinganes.

1989 sounds a bit more like the album cut to me.

But, ehh. At the end of the day it's basically the same show on different days. I'm glad they haven't been released in 4K and I hope they never are. And I hope they carpet bomb the house of the uploaders just for putting it up.

Non lethally of course

Anyone up for MJ the Musical?

The 1986 one has the alternate chorus, the 87 version has the same chorus as the 88 one!
And i agree, i think APOM was the perfect choice for the album, Streetwalker is way too similar to TWYMMF in theme
Thank you mate, that's the one I meant

The 1986 one has the alternate chorus, the 87 version has the same chorus as the 88 one!
And i agree, i think APOM was the perfect choice for the album, Streetwalker is way too similar to TWYMMF in theme

The 86 version sounds like it could've been a replacement for JGF if he added Stevie on it and fleshed out the lyrics more....only THEN could I see it making an appearance on Bad

In my honest opinion; Michael assumed his contractual obligations was to create 3 albums with Quincy! Those 3 albums were Off The Wall, Thriller and “The ET Story Book”!! Michael went into creative overdrive in 83/84!!! John Barnes doesn’t get his just due at all. Outside of Man In The Mirror, Just Good Friends and maybe I Just Can’t Stop Loving You; every other song was a Hayvenhurst Creation (and a few other studios outside of WL while Hayvenhurst was going thru renovations). Dirty Diana, Leave Me Alone, Hot Fever, Liberian Girl, Smooth Criminal, What You Do To Me, Price Of Fame, Another Part Of Me, We Are Here To Change The World, Chicago 1945, Al Capone, Streetwalker, Come Together, Fly Away, Cheater etc etc!! Michael had tunnel vision and knew exactly what he wanted and John Barnes along with Matt Forger and Bill Bottrell were there to bring Michaels imagination to life.

In my honest opinion; Michael assumed his contractual obligations was to create 3 albums with Quincy! Those 3 albums were Off The Wall, Thriller and “The ET Story Book”!! Michael went into creative overdrive in 83/84!!! John Barnes doesn’t get his just due at all. Outside of Man In The Mirror, Just Good Friends and maybe I Just Can’t Stop Loving You; every other song was a Hayvenhurst Creation (and a few other studios outside of WL while Hayvenhurst was going thru renovations). Dirty Diana, Leave Me Alone, Hot Fever, Liberian Girl, Smooth Criminal, What You Do To Me, Price Of Fame, Another Part Of Me, We Are Here To Change The World, Chicago 1945, Al Capone, Streetwalker, Come Together, Fly Away, Cheater etc etc!! Michael had tunnel vision and knew exactly what he wanted and John Barnes along with Matt Forger and Bill Bottrell were there to bring Michaels imagination to life.
Agreed.

Christopher Currell should also not be forgotten, He initially laid the track Bad with MJ ( I was mistaken, it wasn't initially John Barnes).

Both John Barnes and Christopher Currell were instructed to create "unusual" sounds for MJ

Listen from 22 Minutes

So now we have at least 7 people acting as "Producer" with MJ really steering the ship
MJ
John Barnes
Matt Forger
Bill Bottrell
Greg Phillinganes (Cheater)
Christopher Currell
Quincy Jones

We didn’t go to Michael’s house to do demos to hand over, we went to make the record and there was a conflict and understanding as to whether Michael had the right to proceed forward with Quincy Jones or not. There was a misunderstanding.. “ - John Barnes

We didn’t go to Michael’s house to do demos to hand over, we went to make the record and there was a conflict and understanding as to whether Michael had the right to proceed forward with Quincy Jones or not. There was a misunderstanding.. “ - John Barnes
It boggles my mind that there was a time before BAD that MJ and his camp had no clue that their contract called for Quincy and MJ to collaborate on BAD. When they were recording We Are The World, they both didn't think they would be working together on the next album?

It boggles my mind that there was a time before BAD that MJ and his camp had no clue that their contract called for Quincy and MJ to collaborate on BAD. When they were recording We Are The World, they both didn't think they would be working together on the next album?

I wonder if the 1983 album Epic was expecting was supposed to be produced by Quincy

I wonder if the 1983 album Epic was expecting was supposed to be produced by Quincy
Why would Epic expect another album in 1983?

Was this part of the reason why Mike recorded almost immediately after Thriller was released with Steve Porcaro?

Why would Epic expect another album in 1983?

Was this part of the reason why Mike recorded almost immediately after Thriller was released with Steve Porcaro?
CBS attorneys sent Michael a letter dated January 11th, 1983, reminding him he is due to turn in another album before April 1983

A Jacksons album was initially scheduled for late summer of 1983.
By March of 1983, the brothers already had 15 songs ready with Victory scheduled for a mid 1983 release with the tour starting in September that same year

The MJ concept album in case Thriller was a flop though?
The concept album was scheduled for 1984....that was his plan even before Off the Wall was released. If you notice, he started copyrighting songs like crazy during 1984 and a lot of them were for most likely for that album....Thank You For Life, Little Susie, Life of Chico, What a Lonely Way to Go, Much Too Soon

I think he was in the session while it was being worked on but I don’t think MJ recorded a full version of GOM….both of Tempertons contributions [Hot Street and GOM] went to Siedah.
Hot Street to Siedah? Typo?

Why revive threads over typos? Truly as petty as can be

I've come around to it. 1988 sounds way groovier. I get it now.
I wasn’t sure whether it was a typo. Why police old threads and call people petty?

CBS attorneys sent Michael a letter dated January 11th, 1983, reminding him he is due to turn in another album before April 1983

By March of 1983, the brothers already had 15 songs ready with Victory scheduled for a mid 1983 release with the tour starting in September that same year

The concept album was scheduled for 1984....that was his plan even before Off the Wall was released. If you notice, he started copyrighting songs like crazy during 1984 and a lot of them were for most likely for that album....Thank You For Life, Little Susie, Life of Chico, What a Lonely Way to Go, Much Too Soon

All of this is new to me and very intriguing

All of this is new to me and very intriguing

Yep....it's possible CBS backed off on the 1983 solo album since Thriller started to take off after the Motown performance....this could be proof Michael had more material than we know if he were to go through with the release in April 83.

I like the Captain EO version though. Especially its bass line is a killer.
Off topic but is there any change that 'We Are Here To Change The World' has more verses? Although the movie didn't need more, I can imagine they envisioned a full soundtrack at some point, with MJ being a recording artist and all..?

Off topic but is there any change that 'We Are Here To Change The World' has more verses? Although the movie didn't need more, I can imagine they envisioned a full soundtrack at some point, with MJ being a recording artist and all..?
A soundtrack to a 17min short?

Back