John Landis Controversy

John Landis was acquitted. I'm shocked a Michael Jackson fan is writing this. It's the same as all those people who keep saying Michael Jackson must have been guilty of molesting children, event though he was acquitted in a lengthy trial.

I am glad Michael Jackson didn't participate in cancel culture when he contacted John Landis.

It's even more shocking people bring up R. Kelly in this conversation, sort of framing Landis to be in the same category as Kelly. But they aren't. Landis's case was about an accident that he didn't intend to happen, and above all: he was acquitted. Kelly is convicted of a crime, and did intend to harm other people.

I completely agree with you. This is exactly what I have alluded to in my own posts. What some people seem to want to do is "cancel" John Landis, because they believe he was guilty,even though he was acquitted in a court of law and that is exactly the same thing that haters do to MJ.

It's also worthwhile pointing out that Landis didn't walk away completely scot-free. Obviously his reputation was somewhat tarnished in the movie industry (I don't believe he directed any major movies after the accident, but I could be wrong) and he was required to pay damages to the families of the victims, after the civil case was heard.

Moderator statement: Please be aware that R. Kelly discussions are essentially off-topic in this thread. Further comments attempting to link an R. Kelly/MJ debate to this discussion are likely to be deleted.

How is it an accident when they KNEW that the kids wasn't suppose to be out at night? that's was wrong from the start. John should of been charge. yeah it was accident
but he already broke the rules from there.

we all can agree and disagree but how that gonna bring back 3 innocent lives?

Michael Jackson already knew about that accident before the shooting of both of his music videos (‘Thriller’ and ‘Black Or White’).

About the ‘Thriller’ music video, he hired John Landis mainly because the director would bring Rick Baker to work on the make-up effects for the ‘Thriller’ music video.

Rick Baker (a very close collaborator of John Landis), had done excellent horror make-up effects in the ‘An American Werewolf In London’ film (and these effects impressed Michael Jackson).

About the ‘Black Or White’ music video, François Allard and Richard Lecocq explained what happened in their ‘Michael Jackson: All The Songs: The Story Behind Every Track’ book.

Propaganda Agency hired John Landis for its shooting, not Michael Jackson.

In fact, Propaganda Agency had signed a contract with Sony Music for producing all the upcoming music videos from the ‘Dangerous’ album.

When the time for the shooting of the ‘Black Or White’ music video was approaching, Michael Jackson was still having fun with children on various trips (including, Macaulay Culkin), and he did not seem to be focused on the shooting of that upcoming music video.

So, Propaganda Agency hired John Landis because the Agency was aware that John Landis was a man who knew very well and personally Michael Jackson (because of their previous collaboration on the ‘Thriller’ music video) and therefore the director would get him to focus on the shooting of the ‘Black Or White’ music video.

mj_frenzy;4305474 said:
Michael Jackson already knew about that accident before the shooting of both of his music videos (‘Thriller’ and ‘Black Or White’).

Fishing for the next question mark?

Dishonest reckless endangerment is how I would describe John Landis's actions. He certainly messed up, but he never intended to hurt anyone so I don't see anything wrong with Michael's choice to work with him.

How is it an accident when they KNEW that the kids wasn't suppose to be out at night?

The kids being out at night and the helicopter crashing are two different issues. The crash was an accident, due to a pyrotechnics mishap. Obviously the children's parents were okay with them being there, at the time, even though it wasn't ideal. Everything is always seen differently in hindsight.

mj_frenzy;4305474 said:

He would have had to have been living under a rock if he didn't know. Michael was a professional and a man of noble character - he would not have allowed the incident (however tragic) to interfere with business matters, such as his music videos; neither before the conclusion of the court case, nor after the acquittals.

Eddie Murphy

I don't believe he directed any major movies after the accident, but I could be wrong
John Landis later directed a couple of popular comedies (Coming To America, Three Amigos). I think he did Beverly Hills Cop 3 in the 1990s too. There's a sequel to Coming To America that's supposed to come out in December, but Landis is not involved. It might get put on hold like a lot of movies this year. Eddie Murphy mentions John in this December 2019 video around 10:05.

I had no idea about this accident or John Landis' history but I think he's a cocky guy with a huge ego. You can see the difference in how he talks about Michael from Thriller to Black or White.

R Kelly does the "Me!" in "Tell her this for me". He probably does BG vocals as well.

I know he actually sings in the song - what I meant is he is not credited anywhere. - So 9 out of 10 people would never know.

I had no idea about this accident or John Landis' history but I think he's a cocky guy with a huge ego. You can see the difference in how he talks about Michael from Thriller to Black or White.

I think most people in that industry has big egos really. - Even MJ at times. But how would you not when you are so famous and people adore everything you do?

Back