Judy Garland - Dangerous Performance

Roger Spy

Proud Member
I don't know if anybody has ever seen this movie or watched this clip on youtube but you'll understand the title of the thread when you see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U-rBZREQMw&feature=related

I saw this movie years ago and bumped into this clip by accident on youtube, just now. It's an amazing film and it's fascinating the way MJ twisted it for the Dangerous performance! He always says that his main influences were the Beatles, Bee Gees and such but I think some of his biggest influences and inspirations come from Bob Fosse and the Golden Age of Hollywood! If you know Fosse's work and know about the Golden Age of Hollywood, you see a lot of Michael!

I haven't looked at the clip but I presume it's Get Happy from the film Summer Stock! Judy is one of my idols and I perform this song myself at the hotel where I sing :) AMAZING performance, and since Michael loooooves that whole era I've no doubt he was inspired by Judy in some way ... esp since he's friends with Liza too :)

Awww... now it looks like MJ just copied :( I hope that isn't the case!

Awww... now it looks like MJ just copied :( I hope that isn't the case!

I don't think it looks like he copied at all! He just used the esthetics of it as a reference. I mean, looking at that dance routine, of course it's fun, naive and very enjoyable to watch, but it's also very inaccurate. Michael's dance is light years ahead from that performance. Michael's dance is like clockwork!

I haven't looked at the clip but I presume it's Get Happy from the film Summer Stock! Judy is one of my idols and I perform this song myself at the hotel where I sing :) AMAZING performance, and since Michael loooooves that whole era I've no doubt he was inspired by Judy in some way ... esp since he's friends with Liza too :)

That's right! Very clever! Judy is amazing! I say "is" cause she'll live forever!

Last edited:
That's right! Very clever! Judy is amazing! I say "is" cause she'll live forever!

TOTALLY AGREE! I love her and Liza and Lorna! Met Lorna a coupla years ago! She's really larger than life, just like her mum! Great performer too :)

I agree, that Judy has inspired Michael in some way, but copying - no.
It's very nice to see that he took the influence of a classic and made something revolutional

I don't think it looks like he copied at all! He just used the esthetics of it as a reference. I mean, looking at that dance routine, of course it's fun, naive and very enjoyable to watch, but it's also very inaccurate. Michael's dance is light years ahead from that performance. Michael's dance is like clockwork!

I agree then. I just didn't like the fact that I LOVED the dangerous performance... especially the beginning and they looked EXACTLY the same. But the rest of the performance was ALL Michael and BEAT Judy by a lot. Don't get me wrong though, I love them both. :)

I remember the first time I saw that film and seeing that "Dangerous" dance routine... i was like :eek: :eek: :eek: EH???? Cos I had no idea MJ got his dance routine from this Garland performance!! A bit miffed I have to admit that it wasn't so original anymore, but then I began to be absolutely blown away by the fact that MJ doesn't have a foot out of place. Like someone said on this thread, MJ's dancing is like clockwork. He's so precise. A true extraordinary man, he is. :wub:

Back