Juliens Auction Dec 2 - The Collection of Tompkins & Bush /Update Controversy surrounding autographs

Re: Juliens Auction Dec 2 - The Collection of Tompkins & Bush /Update Controversy surrounding autogr

So Julien says there are noticeable differences between the official standee and the sold one. Do we have a photo of the official standee to compare? If there are differences, it certainly speaks in favor of prototype/bootleg version that could have been produced before June 25. I would still prefer to have this explicitly confirmed by someone, but Darren is not the person to do that, of course.

Re: Juliens Auction Dec 2 - The Collection of Tompkins & Bush /Update Controversy surrounding autogr

Wasn't laura the woman who said she did not authenticate the signatures, or am I thinking of another person. Anyway this interview went the way I expected---No clarity about the signatures. Now we see the standee was a boot leg. So a boot leg was given to Michael to sign. I thought Bravado brought some prototypes to Michael for him to see and it was this that was signed? Oh well....

I see Juliens has used the usual psychological threat--fans believed some signatures were fake so in the future Juliens will not be so open to them. He adds that fans are not part of the bidding customers at Juliens, and mentions how they took the exhibit around the world for fans. Please if Juliens did this, they obviously used it as publicity and made money from it. This idea that out of kindness they allowed fans to see these items is plain ridiculous. When Liz jewelry was being auctioned people lined up to view it before the bidding began, so Juliens acting as though he did something special for fans is nonsense.

Last edited:

I have to say that I'm not buying the "different shoes and different license plates" argument. Regardless of who (official or bootleg) produced what (standee or poster) it's the reproduction of the same photograph, the shoes and the background license plates should not change.

Size difference - if true - might mean a different item but it would be impossible to confirm or deny.

Nevertheless cancellation of the sale of the standee is good.

If similar signature items in the previous auctions are consigned by people other than Michael Bush, that could help with the argument that the signatures are real and raise doubts about the claims that Bush forged the signatures. But again given that the consignors are confidential as well, that would be impossible to confirm or deny too.

So I guess this is another topic that would stay in limbo and everyone will make their own personal conclusions about the signatures.

I just read that there's a difference in regards to the "lifesize standee" on the right upper corner

Julien's auction item pictures

lot116033.jpg

52atdh.jpg

Posted by Michelle on Autograph website - her standee

301q79k.jpg

45121_155848084429166_6856117_n.jpg

^ Well, if that is a bootleg, there should be lots of them on the market...it should not be hard to find more with the oval label. It seems a strange thing to bootleg, as it cannot be that easy or convenient to produce and ship, yet the original is not very expensive...so the profits cannot be very great...assuming that bootlegs undercut the genuine article's price (if they did not, no-one would buy them. This is not like 'bootlegging' an otherwise almost unobtainable item, like the 'Smile' cd).

I see that, in summary, J's agree they potentially got the 'White House Jacket' attribution wrong, and the LA Gear standee is probably a bootleg, but the remainder are genuine autographs because:
D Julien is confident that the items are authentic, as represented by Michael Bush,
plus they had a 'foremost expert' (Laura Woolley) check signatures and handwriting plus they have sold many autographs like these before.
On the other side, those raising the issue of authenicity have no independent confirmation or evidence that any of the signatures are not authentic.
Lastly, they have no obligation to provide any refunds to anyone and do not feel compelled to provide any, but may on occasion do so at their discretion.

What surprises me most is that there is no reference to Bush having been involved in the response. I had thought that he would be so incandescent at having his word doubted, that he would have at least put forward a prepared statement, explaining how and when these items ( including the tin of stain remover) came to be signed. That would be such an easy thing to do. The truth is always the easiest thing to present, and would be the one thing that would set people's minds ( and tongues') at rest.

I am not sure what kind of 'evidence' of non-authenticity can ever be produced. In this instance, Laura Woolley was not there when these items were signed, and neither were the critics. Aside from visual comparisons, I am not sure what kind of 'evidence' J's might expect from anyone who was not there. If these signatures really do look different from other signatures sold elsewhere ( or given to fans) how does her previous 'experience' help LW to authenticate them..aside from comparing eg letters and writing styles...which the critics also do in the same way? I don't really follow this argument!

Last edited:

Interesting interviews, wonder how many fans will think we did the collectors interview us being more known as MJJC.

well that sure was ALOT to read...but have to say that the outcome is just what I thought it would be...and that is Julien's defending Bush and them denying any wrong doing. I am sorry but IMO...I STILL feel as though SOME of those autographs area fake. There is NO WAY that someone's handwriting changes that much as they are trying to say Michael's did. I mean if the person had some deteriorating muscular disease then..ok..I see it changing. BUT Mchael was NOT that person. So I agree with Ivy..this is one of those topics that we are going to have to agree to disagree on.

MJJC: In the past you have stated you brought in two former Jackson employees who were authorized to sign items (as “Michael Jackson”) on his behalf to ascertain which were signed by them, and which were actually signed by Michael Jackson. If you can’t reveal their names (although one was supposedly named as Miko Brando), can you describe this process in more detail? Were they in any way used as authenticators in the signed auction items in the T&B auction, and if so, what were their conclusions? Would you be willing to show an example of a Miko Brando (as “Michael Jackson”) autograph, by way of comparison?

DJ: We have had people review them inside and outside of Michael Jackson’s circle. I am not at liberty to disclose their information.
Am I reading that right? MJ had others sign things for him as him? o_O Why?!

Also I see that there is evidence from Juliens that MJ does at times do the loopy "N" in Jackson and a lack of flow of the "J" in Jackson. But, where is the evidence of other autographs being so sloppy where MJ writes on his own face in pictures? I have only seen the autographs provided by Bush like that.

Am I reading that right? MJ had others sign things for him as him? o_O Why?!

secretarial - quite common.

most of the time these people will sign for the autograph requests by the fans or it could be an autopen.

^Ahh okay thanks. =)

Some are saying MJ wouldn't sign like this or change it up .. Look how different this signature is

rkbj2d.jpg

This is another legit signature for comparison certainly not signed by Bush or MJ staff. Ive been wanting to bring this one in for while but keep forgetting. I think if these so called experts saw this Signature not knowing where it came from they would also deem it fake. Based on the criteria they were using on Bushe's Items. Of M needs to slant left J needs to be looped and no round n instread of a point and tail at the end etc.. This one is missing ALL of those in it.

This signature to Spike Lee has a salutaion that matches Michael's handwriting but .. the signature has ..

a rounded M/ not slanting left / a plain J not looped / and a rounded n at the end / and no end tail sweeping up or down
Plus the rest of the letters look more or less scribbled as if written very quickly, but there are still signs it is Michael's
He doesnt always use slanted pointed Ms or Looped J's etc etc.

Even in the ones Julian shows above from other auctions his signatures Vary .. also Signing on material you pen drags you dont have as smooth a surface on material . Smaller items you wouldnt have the room for fancy loops and tails. I think when when signing many items in a sitting Michael's signature would be more lax more scribbled looking, not as fancy or precise etc etc .. becuase he is trying to signmany items fast as possible to get the job done. Im just giving the benefit of doubt as to why sone sigs on Bush's items may appear different as if possible being scribbled out very fast. I also see they are different. Its a possible valid reason. I also found many signatures vary in the Michael in the Mirror thread of MJ hand writing and signatures. I cant say for sure one way or another, without solid proof. But Michael Bush has always been loyal and not exploitive in all the years he worked for Michael. His loyalty and reputation is something that also needs to be taken into consideration and not ignored when weighing this.

Also what if MJ asked Bush and Tompkins to help him sign these items becuase there were so many. That would be confidential and somethign Bush could never reveal for obvious reasons ... Just another possibility.

^^Is this the official response that Bush was talking about? Well if it is, it cleared up nothing.

^^Is this the official response that Bush was talking about? Well if it is, it cleared up nothing.

This got nothing to do with Bush. It's Julien's version.

This got nothing to do with Bush. It's Julien's version.

Ivy I am talking about when the fan said Bush said this will be dealt with through an official channel or words to that effect, so is this the official response that Bush was referring to?

Ivy I am talking about when the fan said Bush said this will be dealt with through an official channel or words to that effect, so is this the official response that Bush was referring to?

No. Bush has his own reps and lawyers, all of whom didn't provide any statements. I would consider Bush's own people as his official channel. So once again this is Julien's explanation or whatever. You can also easily see that Julien's answer doesn't include any information coming from Bush such as how and where and when the items signed and so on.

qbee;3760847 said:
Some are saying MJ wouldn't sign like this or change it up .. Look how different this signature is

rkbj2d.jpg

This is another legit signature for comparison certainly not signed by Bush or MJ staff. Ive been wanting to bring this one in for while but keep forgetting. I think if these so called experts saw this Signature not knowing where it came from they would also deem it fake. Based on the criteria they were using on Bushe's Items. Of M needs to slant left J needs to be looped and no round n instread of a point and tail at the end etc.. This one is missing ALL of those in it.

This signature to Spike Lee has a salutaion that matches Michael's handwriting but .. the signature has ..

a rounded M/ not slanting left / a plain J not looped / and a rounded n at the end / and no end tail sweeping up or down
Plus the rest of the letters look more or less scribbled as if written very quickly, but there are still signs it is Michael's
He doesnt always use slanted pointed Ms or Looped J's etc etc.

Even in the ones Julian shows above from other auctions his signatures Vary .. also Signing on material you pen drags you dont have as smooth a surface on material . Smaller items you wouldnt have the room for fancy loops and tails. I think when when signing many items in a sitting Michael's signature would be more lax more scribbled looking, not as fancy or precise etc etc .. becuase he is trying to signmany items fast as possible to get the job done. Im just giving the benefit of doubt as to why sone sigs on Bush's items may appear different as if possible being scribbled out very fast. I also see they are different. Its a possible valid reason. I also found many signatures vary in the Michael in the Mirror thread of MJ hand writing and signatures. I cant say for sure one way or another, without solid proof. But Michael Bush has always been loyal and not exploitive in all the years he worked for Michael. His loyalty and reputation is something that also needs to be taken into consideration and not ignored when weighing this.

Also what if MJ asked Bush and Tompkins to help him sign these items becuase there were so many. That would be confidential and somethign Bush could never reveal for obvious reasons ... Just another possibility.

I agree with you post and as D Julien wrote in his reply:
I would also offer these facts – rather than unsubstantiated innuendo – to the fans to consider. Michael Bush has never once attempted to capitalize on his relationship with Michael Jackson during his lifetime. Michael Bush has avoided all attempts by the media and others to do a “tell all” about Michael Jackson after his death. Michael Bush has never sought the limelight or notoriety, unlike many in Michael Jackson’s circle, because of his relationship with Michael Jackson. The book he authored should be evidence of his integrity and character. He could have chosen to write a tome that disclosed personal and confidential information about Michael Jackson. He did not do that. Instead, he wrote a book that sought to share with Michael Jackson’s fans a part of Michael Jackson that they all know and love – Michael Jackson’s iconic and groundbreaking costumes. Michael Bush sought to show the fans the creative process behind the costumes that were such an integral part of Michael Jackson’s legacy and history.

That is the reason why I'm not ready to hang Bush to the nearest tree (so to speak).He could have made tons of money during his years with MJ but he kept his mouth shut all these years.

@Petrarose, you wrote:
"He adds that fans are not part of the bidding customers at Juliens, and mentions how they took the exhibit around the world for fans. Please if Juliens did this, they obviously used it as publicity and made money from it."

When the exhibition came to Ireland, I didn't have to spend a penny to see this exhibition. I know in some other countries there were an entrance fee (which most likely was put there by the company that held the exhibition) but I don't think Julien's or Bush were making money out of it.

I was thinking about those items that some says signature is fake. What if those items were signed by this former employees of Michael's, like the jacket? I believe they couldn't have used auto-pen for signing jackets as it is more meant to use for photos and papers. For example the BAD jacket (not signed for Bush, was examined by Epperson who said autograph in it is fake. What if MJ's staff signed it and Bush had no idea of it?

Btw, if I were an autograph collecting fan, I wouldn't buy any items signed by Michael unless I see himself signing it (which is not going to happen). Julien mentioned many times in his reply to check credentials and background of the people who is claiming autographs being fake. Well, I just did that and wasted at least an hour (Google Roger Epperson Steve Cyrkin fraud). There are so many complaints against Epperson and Cyrkin, and there are also lots of fighting between those so called autograph authenticators that you wouldn't have a clue who to believe and trust.

I was wondering how they are able to even authenticate signature in jacket was fake, if they compare it to signature that is in signed photo?
They must be different, as material of the jacket, if some person wearing it while it was being signed, or was it laid on the table. All those most likely will effect on signature, and it won't be the same as in photo signature.

MJJC: According to various postings and communications, you have apparently alleged that many of these autographs were signed in 2009 at Michael Bush’s house while MJ was recovering from treatment after visiting Dr. Klein’s Beverly Hills office. How (and when) was this story communicated to you—did it come directly from Michael Bush? Apparently, you have since concluded that the reason these autographs were so visibly different to any other authentic Michael Jackson signatures was because he was so heavily medicated, can you confirm that as your belief? If true, does it bother you at all that MJ supposedly signed at least some of these items in a heavily drugged state?

DJ: Most of these statements are created by others in an attempt to cause confusion and to spread falsehoods. These statements did not come from Julien’s Auctions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His reply makes sense to me. That claim came from Cyrkin who probably imagined the whole conversation with DJ or purposely spread false information for whatever reason he has (and according my google search, he has plenty).

First time I heard about this claim, I had doubts regarding the whole scenario of Michael going on B & T house for recovery.
It just didn't make any sense to me, as MJ is not known going after procedures to B & T house to recover, and I believe there were fans and photographers who followed him everywhere. We would have heard it by now from fans or tabloids. It would have made more sense to me, if he had claimed MJ went to Klein's house afterwards.

He also claimed that Julien told him that is the reason why Bush has so many items signed by Michael.
Considering he has been around MJ for 25 years and has been collecting those items all that time, the amount doesn't surprise me at all, especially half of it could have been what Tompkins collected during the years.

Anyone who read Bush's book, did he mention anything about Michael staying at his house at any time?

Didn't someone also find out that Cyrkin or one of them works for that auction house which was selling the Pepsi burn medical records?

Didn't someone also find out that Cyrkin or one of them works for that auction house which was selling the Pepsi burn medical records?

http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Cyrkin_Steve_301875609.aspx

This website lists him as the owner of Pristine Auctions - which was auctioning the medical records. However there hasn't been any other independent confirmation whether this information is true or not.

Also it's a fact that Cyrkin is one of the founders of Collectors Universe which happens to be the parent company of PSA/DNA. 1999 stock offering filing reduced Crykin to less than 5% ownership. He says he doesn't have ownership / financial interest anymore. However SEC doesn't require owners with less than 5% shares to be reported / listed . So he could be telling the truth and sold his share or he could still be a minor shareholder with no paper trail. Regardless he has a history with PSA/DNA.

Epperson has worked for PSA/DNA and does work for JSA - who authenticated Michael's burn medical records.

plus like Bubs said "there are also lots of fighting between those so called autograph authenticators that you wouldn't have a clue who to believe and trust."

I think I'm not in the popular opinion here, but i liked Julien's answers. It's just the standee issue that remains unclear for me, as we can't confirm if it's bootleg or not, prototype or not. And I agree with his statment about checking the background of the people who are claiming that the autographs are fakes. As Michael's fans we are already supposed to be used to do research, as in Michael's world almost everyone has an agenda.

Btw, I little off topic... I don't know if someone already noticed this, but Bravado apparently closed Michael's store on it's website. Now Michael's itens are at this store called LYV. A few weeks ago when I went on bravado website to see MJ's store, it redirected me to this site: http://www.store.ticketmaster.com/m...&v=ticketmaster_music_artists_Michael-Jackson And if you note on the bottom it says © 2012 Live Nation Entertainment, Inc. Can someone provide more info about that? Does bravado have some connection with Live Nation?

Nathy MJ;3761204 said:
I
Btw, I little off topic... I don't know if someone already noticed this, but Bravado apparently closed Michael's store on it's website. Now Michael's itens are at this store called LYV. A few weeks ago when I went on bravado website to see MJ's store, it redirected me to this site: http://www.store.ticketmaster.com/m...&v=ticketmaster_music_artists_Michael-Jackson And if you note on the bottom it says © 2012 Live Nation Entertainment, Inc. Can someone provide more info about that? Does bravado have some connection with Live Nation?

I believe it has something to do with Live Nation (owns ticket master) partnering with UMG (owns Bravado)
http://steveleeds.wordpress.com/2011/09/20/live-nation-pacts-with-umg/
and more info here
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indu...ve-nation-deal-what-it-means-1005361292.story

Last edited:

^But all other Bravado artist sites are still running. There is a full list, with Michael missing :(

Maybe Live Nation wanted only Michael, never mind the others as they were not important:cheeky:

Ivy or Qbee probably knows what is the deal.

@Petrarose, you wrote:
"He adds that fans are not part of the bidding customers at Juliens, and mentions how they took the exhibit around the world for fans. Please if Juliens did this, they obviously used it as publicity and made money from it."

When the exhibition came to Ireland, I didn't have to spend a penny to see this exhibition. I know in some other countries there were an entrance fee (which most likely was put there by the company that held the exhibition) but I don't think Julien's or Bush were making money out of it.

Maybe you did not have to pay, but they gained something from it either publicity for the auction and to raise awareness for those interested in buying Michael's items or some other "value." Some deal was in place that generated some "value" to Juliens. I refuse to believe that this business entity was engaged in any altruistic activity there. His comment above was an insult, since there are some fans with small budgets that bid on Michael's items. Further, there are fans with larger budgets that also bid. What I got from that part of his statement was that he is saying "hey you guys we do all this for you and you are not really our customers," and to me that shows the mindset of Juliens' and suggests to me that with that mindset in no way would he put this exhibition all over the place and get no "value or compensation" for it. I am not saying that his comments prove that any fraud took place.

The idea that simply because Bush declined tellall book deals, etc.^^, shows he would not do a thing like that is a fairytale. History has shown lots of people who commited actions that others felt was never evidenced in their personal relationship with the persons involved. Bush is not going to sell items with some fake signatures on them while Michael is alive; he is not going to take a book deal to crucify Michael when Michael was alive, when Michael represented a huge part of his wealth. I am not saying that this proves or shows Bush faked some signatures, but just saying that being "nice" has nothing to do with bad behavior. Until Bush gives a more detailed answer I will think that someone other than Michael forged some signatures, but it might not necessarily be Bush & the forgery could have taken place outside of the knowledge of Bush & Juliens. So right now all I am saying is that something tricky happened.

I don't get a good feeling from Julien or from Bush, for that matter, but it seems that there is nothing more to do. As a Michael Jackson fan I have in fact bought 3 items in 2 MJ auctions by Julien's, so that argument he made that fans don't participate in the auctions is false. The problem is that signatures are a very tricky area to authenticate. I noticed on ebay people sell items with letters certifying a signature from an expert, which was not done in this auction, so it is all authentification by the 'provenance' of MB and nothing more, which simply means 'he says it and we believe him.'

The reason I get a bad feeling from MB is an interview he gave to a Chinese fan. (It was a video posted here on mjjc but then I lost track of it. The sound quality wasn't good but you could hear what he said.) The fan asked him about losing the ability to see the costumes when they went into private hands, and MB came up with some bs about well, if they were in a museum, then you would have to travel to a specific place and that might be hard for fans, and with the private sales the items will be all over the world. Yes, all over the world but we can't see them, so why is that helpful? Also I am sure he is aware that museums lend their collections to other museums, so the collection travels that way. His answer did not seem upfront, and n either does a lot of what DJ says. I esp. don't like the comment about not being open with the fans. He should be grateful the fans did all the reseach that he did not do (but then they had to cancel the standee sale so maybe that hurt). I spent a lot on the 2 items I bought at this last auction (for me) but I did it to have something of MJ. I am glad I have the items but I wish I knew about the signatures, if real or not. Personally, I think they should have hired an expert to provide letters of certification for all signatures.

The argument that MB never turned against Michael or tried to sell stories about him while alive is true BUT if he had he would have been fired and lost his job and that is a big incentive to stay quiet. The argument that after Michael's death, he wrote a nice book, not a nasty one, that is true but look what has happened to Sullivan's book--fans have trashed it, so MB had a good incentive to write a nice book so fans would buy it. Yes, I do know Sullivan's book came after MB"s but my point is the fans are not going to buy a book that trashes MJ and MB knows that.

Last edited:

Mweh, Expert... Schmexpert...
Anyone ever watch Pawn Stars? They have some of those so called experts come in every now and then.
They just look at the signature and babble about a loop in a letter, or a slant somewhere.

When you see MJ sigs there are a bunch of variations (just look at the Spike Lee one in this thread).
So even if an expert would authenticate those Bush sigs it wouldn't mean anything to me.
Not that I think they are (all) fake, but I have zero confidence in people who claim they can authenticate
these sigs from deceased people. All they can do is give their best educated guess.

Well guess what: their guess is as good (or worse) as mine (or most MJ fans who've been reading up on signatures and signed MJ items).

Fyi regarding the photo ops with Bush as some people posted about the amount of money they had to pay to get a photo with Bush. That idea did not come from Bush, he may have supported the idea and allowed these kids to make some money, but seemingly these two lads was behind it.

Duo return from Jackson adventure in Los Angeles
Friday, 18 January 2013

EXPERIENCE:?Shane McCusker and Kristian Baycroft with Michael Bush at the Julien’s Auctions VIP reception held in LA.
TWO media students at Barking and Dagenham College have just returned from Los Angeles after securing key roles in the touring exhibition of the late Michel Jackson’s stage costumes.

The adventure began when 18-year-old Shane McCusker, from Dagenham, clinched an interview with Jackson’s long-time designer and personal friend Michael Bush at the Irish stop of the exhibition world tour.

Bush later invited Shane to join him and Philip Treacy - milliner to the stars - at their London Fashion Week Catwalk Show. He mingled with guests including Lady Gaga, Kelly Brook, and Dita Von Teese at the VIP fashion show, and it was there that plans for the rest of the tour were discussed.

Shane was invited, along with his business partner Kristian Baycroft, 19, from Barking, to help set-up and run the London exhibition at Westfield Stratford City.

The enterprising young duo spotted a business opportunity: to offer fans a chance to pose for a souvenir photo alongside one of Jackson’s iconic jackets.

They built a website overnight to host the images for customers to download, and as a result of their business savvy, have thousands of photos and hours of footage from the numerous exhibitions.

During their visit to LA, Shane and Kristian secured front row seats at the world-famous Julien’s Auctions in Beverly Hills, where Jackson’s costumes went under the hammer.

Lady Gaga bought 55 items, spending vast amounts of money, with just one jacket from the iconic collection selling for £148,418. The pair managed to secure some mementos of their trip, including signed copies of Bush's book and a prototype T-shirt, designed to be sold at Jackson's ill-fated London comeback shows.

“It was a great project to be involved in” said Kristian, who has moved on to study media and communications at Birmingham City University.

The talented young duo also run a film production company ‘Wider Horizon’ and their earnings from the tour will help fund their first feature film later in 2013.

http://www.yellowad.co.uk/news.cfm?id=2028&headline=Duo return from ***** adventure in Los Angeles

Jamba loved your ideas & take on the Juliens/Bush responses^^. I am glad you were able to buy something. I wish I had bought an item that was not signed to "Bush from Michael." However, I am sure there will be other auctions to take advantage of.

Mthalan I agree with your points too, after all this is not an exact science, unless they do some chemical test on the ink and find out that based on its chemistry/color/hardness, it was signed after June 09. However, who is going to pay for this major endeavor. I guess we can say now that this case is closed, unless we want to keep on speculating like the Great Debate.

Back