LaToya Comments On Who Should Play Michael In Movie

Well The Jackson's American Dream made me feel like its absolutely possible for an actor to capture MJ if they were good enough and took the role seriously - studied MJ and didn't make him a caricature. AND if it was a good script. (and obviously I think more people would see it if it was an actor portraying him and not just a documentary(

It's possible. Difficult, but possible.

It's more of the script part I'm worried about though. There's so many ways they could go about smashing the totality of MJ's life in 2 hours and most of them will probably be oversimplifications or spun in a certain way. Or it will leave out important contextual info.

I don't think its fair to use the VH1 movie as an example - they put little to no effort into that movie and it showed :p Casting Flex as MJ was mistake number one...but I tend to think it wasn't a mistake. The movie was meant to be a joke.

Ugh, I thought about it, tried to be open minded about it, but to hell with that, lol! The documentary idea is the BEST way to do it: Mike in his own words, with his own image. He's been filmed, photographed and interviewed since his Jackson 5 years. That's PLENTY of material to use (well over 4 decades worth)!

I don't think that "The Jacksons - An American Dream" was as bad as some make it out to be. Wiley did a decent job. "Man in the Mirror" was absolutely terrible, they made Michael look like a creepy, dumb weirdo who lived in his own fantasy world and definitely needed help. Honestly, he looks loony! Flex Alexander is not an ugly looking bloke but I cringed when I saw him with white makeup, pretending to be soft spoken. He just looked like someone going to a fancy dress party. And he couldn't act. In fact, the actors were all bad! The make up was awful and the story was just horrendous. The dialogues in the film are simply dreadful. They'll make you cry (out of frustration at the sheer idiocy of the writer). In short: this film is atrocious, words can't describe how bad it is. When you look up "terrible" in a dictionary, this movie should be there as a synonym.

I don't think we need a singer or a dancer to portray Michael in a biopic, we need an actor! So Chris Brown is out of the question. No one can sing and dance like Michael, so perhaps for those scenes they could use real MJ footage or an impersonator. Bringing Michael's personality across is more important to me than some incredible dancer/singer. I would want the actor to capture the essence of what MJ was, not necessarily his looks.
Maybe different actors for different time periods?
I think this is a good idea. Or they could just start the film a little later, e.g. after Thriller (with flashbacks of his childhood).

Most might not like my next idea (even for me it's quite painful to think back to those times) but I have always wondered how a film about the trial (only!) would work out. It would be an interesting drama/thriller and could perhaps show Michael in a different light to the public. Of course it would have to be based on hard facts (perhaps T-Mez could work as an advisor of sorts) and could show ppl all the crap MJ had to deal with (including the press etc.).
Another important aspect would be the director and the budget! And the storyline, of course... and hopefully no Jacksons involved. They would just distort the truth to their own advantage.

All in all, I am not against a biopic as long as it's done properly with the right actors, a good director, a big budget and a good storyline. I simply want MJ to be portrayed as the man he really was.

All in all, I am not against a biopic as long as it's done properly with the right actors, a good director, a big budget and a good storyline. I simply want MJ to be portrayed as the man he really was.

Thats going to be hard one, because every single person alive has their own beliefs what kind of man Michael was. Who really knows Michael? His family - cannot trust a word that comes out of them.
His friends - which ones? His business associates - no.
If biobic is in any way truthful and showing Michael in good light, what do you think media is going to say? They are going to have a field day and say it is glossed over portray of Michael. I remember when Aphrodite Jones came out after MJ's passing with documentary of Michael's trial and about him, media was saying it was her love letter to Michael, same with Spike Lee Bad 25. That is the reason I would really love to see documentary of Michael that was made totally real footage of MJ, that is the only way media cannot say it is glossed over, or love letter to MJ.

Back