Leftovers that should've made the album?

Biebervelli

Proud Member
Was listening to the bad 25 special edition and I realized how solid the throwaway tracks were.

He could've made an entire album/EP off those tracks!

Which got me thinking: what leftover tracks do you think should've made the album?

Thriller : Behind the mask

Bad: Al Capone (maybe too similar to smooth criminal?)
Abortion Papers
Price of Fame

Dangerous: If you don't love me (with some change in production)

HIStory: Why

Invincible: Chicago or Blue gangsta

I only agree with the requests for Invincible.

It's easy to say these songs should be on the album because you've been listening over and over to the album tracks for years and all of these unreleased songs are fairly new (so they sound better). when you actually listen to albums like Bad, the unreleased songs even though there demos actually don't compare to the standard of what was on the album at all MJ made the right decision to keep them off.

It's easy to say these songs should be on the album because you've been listening over and over to the album tracks for years and all of these unreleased songs are fairly new (so they sound better). when you actually listen to albums like Bad, the unreleased songs even though there demos actually don't compare to the standard of what was on the album at all MJ made the right decision to keep them off.

Totally agree...

Im glad that MJ released most of his best work during his life time.

The only exception being Invincible.. im guessing he was trying to win back the US audience with Vince. Coz i dont believe songs like "Butterflies and Heaven can wait" works with European and Asian audience.

Bad, Dangerous, History were perfect for me. However I do wish that Mike had released 3 albums per decade instead of 2. N BODFT shd have been an EP or even a full album- something like History book-2. with the 5 orginal songs from BODF puls songs like For all Time, someone put your hand out.

Preach!

Streetwalker is better than Just Good Friends.

The entire Bad album is brilliant and I wouldn't change a thing about it

I find this to be an interesting thread. And honestly, up through Dangerous I don't know if there's really any songs I would add. The way the albums are now, they have their certain personalities. And tampering with that would change everything. But anyways I guess I'll go album by album and explain what I might have done.

I suppose I would add "Sunset Driver" to Off The Wall just because I think it's one of Michael's best up-tempo early songs. Although obviously it's got nothing on "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" or anything.

For Thriller I really don't think there's a song I could remove. However, I do think "Behind The Mask" should have been released somehow. Maybe as a stand alone single. It would have been an absolutely HUGE song and there is no doubt about it. It just makes me vibe every time I listen to it. And those sheets of synth are just ear candy. And I could believe that removed the awesome synth from the Michael album!

I don't know if we can add Jacksons albums to the discussion, but I do have to say that there should have been a few more Michael songs on there. I suppose he was saving songs for his follow up to Thriller. However, I still think that as far as stuff that we know for sure was recorded, it couldn't have hurt for Michael to release "Buffalo Bill" on Victory. Supposedly it featured his brothers singing more and not only Michael but Bruce Swedien and Matt Forger have had great things to say about it. Shame it wasn't on there rather than something like "Body". Yuck. And I have to assume that "There Must Be More To Life Than This" and "Victory" were likely intended to be on the album. Wouldn't have minded either of those being on there.

As far as Bad, I think maybe I woulda lost "Man In The Mirror". I know, I know say what you will about me. But I don't care for it. I think something more understated would've worked in it's place, such as "Scared Of The Moon". And as far as a different up tempo song, I really would've liked "We Are Here To Change The World" to be on there in place of "Speed Demon" or "Just Good Friends". I think it would've easily fit in there in place of either, as it's a dancey tune with a positive message.

With Dangerous there are definitely a few changes I'd make. First off, I'd have put "Messin' Round" on there, as it's been shown this was worked on during this era. I think it woulda added more of a sense of fun to the album. Perhaps it could've taken the place of "Give In To Me" or even the title track. I feel like the album, as magnificent as it is, could've used a bit more "lightness". And I think a fun dance song like this woulda been great. Especially as I imagine it enhanced for the '90s by Teddy Riley's production. I also think "Serious Effect" would have helped the album, perhaps in the place of "She Drives Me Wild" or "Can't Let Her Get Away". I think it's super funky and had more of the edgy, "street" sound Michael was looking for. As far as ballads, obviously I'm unsure of what all they had to work with, but I would've probably liked to have "Someone Put Your Hand Out" and "For All Time" finished and released on the album instead of "Heal The World" and "Will You Be There". Once again, I'm sure I'm gonna get shit for this, but I think "Heal The World" and "Will You Be There" are two of his most overrated ballads and the two I picked are much more understated and fit the feel of Dangerous better in my opinion. I feel like "Heal The World" and "Will You Be There" really didn't fit with the spare, slightly minimal feel of a lot of the other material on the album.

As far as HIStory, it's hard to say since we don't have or know much as far as outtakes go. I will say that even though it was apparently never seriously considered, I would have definitely added "Much Too Soon", perhaps instead of "D.S.", which although accurate in my book, kinda wasn't a good look for Michael.

Lastly, Invincible to me in it's current state just seems like a grab bag of songs Michael had been working on, with no real coherence. So due to that, I'm not really as worried about flow and whatnot. But regardless it is ridiculous that "Chicago" wasn't on there. It's an amazing song in the original version, and while it probably wouldn't have been a hit, it should have (and probably will) go down as a classic moody MJ track. I do think rather than "Threatened" the sign-off track should've been "We've Had Enough", with it's powerful message and Michael's amazing performance. Once again, I'm not sure if this one would've been a hit, but it should've been a single, especially coming after 9/11. If it was indeed finished before the release of Invincible (which I'm unsure of) it shoulda been there. I also think if "One More Chance" should've been on there as well if it were finished in time. Once again, I'm unsure whether it was finished until the 2003 release of Number Ones or not. I know it might not have been exactly what Michael wanted, but I think an album featuring classic, slightly retro stuff like "You Rock My World", "One More Chance", "Break Of Dawn" and "Butterflies" on one side and then more modern stuff like "Unbreakable", "Xscape" and "Chicago", along with the classic anthem "We've Had Enough" (rather than the weak "Cry") would've been absolutely amazing, likely garnered better reviews, and shoot, maybe even spawned some more hits.

Last edited:
As far as Bad, I think maybe I woulda lost "Man In The Mirror". I know, I know say what you will about me. But I don't care for it. I think something more understated would've worked in it's place, such as "Scared Of The Moon".

oh_crap_extreme_in_hd_by_lemmino-d686ked.png

I have to say Blue Gangsta should have somehow made the Invincible album replacing The Lost Children maybe. This song has had 3 missed opportunities: Invincible, Michael and Xscape.

(the 2010 Mix sounding the best) would have fit perfectly on Invincible with a short film!.... one can only imagine!:yes::cry:

OTW, Thriller are perfect, imo.

BAD I love all of them except for Just Good Friends - never warmed up to that song. There are so many great songs he left behind from that era that could've easily been better than JGF. I would add Price of Fame, Abortion Papers both brilliant, Streetwalker is so funky just love it. But to leave out MITM no way. This was the continuation of Michael's inspirational songs that followed WATW, and I can't imagine finding out years later that that song was an outtake, I would be devastated. There are so many great outtakes from BAD. Loving You - my god what an absolute masterpiece. The more I listen to it the more I love it. He could've had a double CD for BAd really.

Dangerous - Fabulous - wouldn't touch a thing. Give in to Me and Dangerous are two of my favorites in that album.

History - I love it all. It was very cohesive- with the right message. After all the allegations- it was his way of telling us how he felt. Brilliant album. It was angry and dark but finished IT off with another inspirational song in the song HIStory and a brilliant performance in Smile. As if to say, I had to vent and tell you how I really felt about what I went through but I have to move on and let me give you this piece of advice and don't forget to smile . I loved how he started the album with SCREAM and closed it with SMILE. Brilliant album.

Invincible - was definitely not cohesive at all. There were way too many ballads and not enough upbeat songs. Cry was his inspirational song but for me it didn't inspire at all, I was so surprised how weak it was. WHE would have been absolutely brilliant, but like another poster said maybe it wasn't finished and ready for Invincible. Chicago would have been great in place of one of the ballads (You are my Life). And Xscape would have been a great addition.

Oh well overall I'm very happy with what Michael left us. It is fun to dream though. And I am happy we have those great unreleased songs to enjoy right now. :yes:

I have to say Blue Gangsta should have somehow made the Invincible album replacing The Lost Children maybe. This song has had 3 missed opportunities: Invincible, Michael and Xscape.

(the 2010 Mix sounding the best) would have fit perfectly on Invincible with a short film!.... one can only imagine!:yes::cry:

Oh yes, I agree! Blue Gangsta what an awesome song. You know the more I find out about all the Invincible outtakes that more I think, why did Michael leave them out? We're talking: Chicago, Blue Gangsta, Xscape, WHE. All awesome songs. Rodney Jerkins said there are some gems still out there from Vince sessions and He could make a whole album with all of them. Maybe one day he will get a chance.

I will continue to stand by my firm belief that the original version of Xscape should have been included on Invincible instead of several other songs on the final project. I mean, I understand that Michael found it interesting enough to keep working on the song after 2001, but it's just a shame that it had to get leaked onto the internet when it did and causing MJ to shelf it.

With that being said, I was incredibly pleased to hear not only that it would be included on the next posthumous album as the title track, but that Rodney Jerkins was brought back to produce a new version of it. I still think that the original version is far superior, but I consider the new version of Xscape as the best of the revamped songs, partially because it had they unfair advantage of having the original producer working on it. :)

For Thriller, I would take out "Beat It" and place in "Carousel". I know talk $#!^ all you want. I don't really like Beat It, but I'd really replace "Wanna Be Startin Somethin" for "Nite Line".
For BAD, I'd replace "Speed Demon" with "Streetwalker" and "Just Good Friends" with "I'm So Blue"
For Dangerous, probably "Gone Too Soon" for "Work That Body"

I've always liked the idea that all of MJ's albums should have been 10-tracks each.

Off The Wall: Replace Girlfriend with Sunset Driver.

Thriller: Replace The Girl Is Mine and The Lady In My Life with Say Say Say, State of Shock and Behind The Mask. If any of the MJ/Freddie Mercury recordings are complete, I'd include one of them and remove State of Shock.

Bad: Replace Speed Demon, Liberian Girl and Another Part of Me with Al Capone and Streetwalker.

Dangerous: Remove She Drives Me Wild, I Can't Let Her Get Away, Give In To Me and Gone Too Soon.

HIStory: Remove Stranger In Moscow, Money, Come Together, Childhood and Little Susie.

Blood on the Dance Floor: Replace Superfly Sister with On The Line, replace the HIStory remix with the single version, remove the other remixes. Include the live performance of Elizabeth, I Love You and the TM's Switchblade edit remix of Blood on the Dance Floor, along with two other remixes I haven't decided on yet.

Invincible: Replace Heartbreaker, Invincible, Break of Dawn, Heaven Can Wait, Butterflies, 2,000 Watts, You Are My Life, Privacy, Don't Walk Away, Cry and The Lost Children with One More Chance, A Place With No Name, the original version of Another Day, Xscape and We've Had Enough.

Blood on the Dance Floor: Replace Superfly Sister with On The Line, replace the HIStory remix with the single version, remove the other remixes. Include the live performance of Elizabeth, I Love You and the TM's Switchblade edit remix of Blood on the Dance Floor, along with two other remixes I haven't decided on yet.

Invincible: Replace Heartbreaker, Invincible, Break of Dawn, Heaven Can Wait, Butterflies, 2,000 Watts, You Are My Life, Privacy, Don't Walk Away, Cry and The Lost Children with One More Chance, A Place With No Name, the original version of Another Day, Xscape and We've Had Enough.

What's the Switchblade remix of "BOTDF"?

And I thought "One More Chance" wasn't recorded until 2003?

Back