Legendary Artist David Bowie Dies (cancer)

DuranDuran, those were some beautiful tributes :boohoo:

Saw it earlier this morning... I'm still in shock, it's just like when Michael died...

I've been thinking a lot about this, and you are absolutely right. the world has lost a great icon. although personally, I do not feel nowhere near as sad as when we lost Michael, but there are not many famous people I have been mourning when they've passed away. it's like 4 people in total...in my whole life
I live a very isolated life, so I do not experience the world the same way that people who live a more "normal" life does, so I don't really see how the world is reacting to things...and the same goes with this...which is why I said I've been thinking about it (instead of experiencing it)

JAN 13, 2016David Kirby

David Bowie Is a Hero to Activists Fighting the Dolphin Slaughter in Japan
The rock star made sure his anthem ‘Heroes’ was licensed to the documentary ‘The Cove’ for a pittance so it could help stop the killing of dolphins and whales.

David Bowie is being remembered as a musical genius, a gifted artist, and a fashion icon. But to whale and dolphin activists, he was nothing short of a hero.
Bowie’s hauntingly moving song “Heroes,” the title track of his 1977 album, has become a rallying cry for people around the world working to end the killing and capture of whales and dolphins at the cove in Taiji, Japan.

The song, which includes the lyrics “I, I wish you could swim / Like the dolphins, like dolphins can swim,” accompanies the closing credits of the 2009 documentary The Cove, which brought global attention to the annual slaughter in Taiji.
Most people don’t know that Bowie, a quiet but generous supporter of animal welfare causes who died on Sunday at 69, personally intervened to make sure the song could be licensed for a minimal fee.

Cove director Louie Psihoyos said the movie’s producer, Fisher Stevens, knew Bowie’s wife, Iman. “That’s how we got through to him,” he said. “If we’d had to go through record-company channels, it never would’ve happened.”
According to Psihoyos, the cost of licensing a rock song for commercial films starts at about $25,000 and can reach six figures. After hearing about the film, Bowie insisted that RCA Records make “Heroes” available for $3,000.
“They had to charge something so they weren’t giving it away,” Psihoyos said. “It was hardly worth the time for the record label to write up the contract.”
A licensing employee for Sony Music Entertainment, which owns RCA Records, confirmed that the fee was reduced but said the amount paid “is confidential.”

The song, reportedly about an East German and West German couple who meet at the Berlin Wall—“I, I can remember (I remember) / Standing, by the wall (by the wall) / And the guns, shot above our heads (over our heads)”—became a powerful anthem for the anti-whaling movement.

“I didn’t know at the time about his support for animal rights,” Psihoyos said of Bowie. “But it turns out he had a huge heart.”

Ric O’Barry, star of The Cove and founder of Ric O’Barry’s Dolphin Project, said that during the film’s closing credits, “people jump out of their seats and want to do something. That song reenergizes people and helps keep the issue alive. Sometimes I meet people, and when they recognize me, they start singing ‘Heroes.’ ”
“There is nothing to galvanize a community around a movement like a movie, and with every social movement, you always needed songs,” Psihoyos said. “This was a song for that moment.”
The moment lives on. This Saturday in London, thousands of people are expected to march to the Japanese Embassy to protest the dolphin drives, which run every September to March.

Bowie and his hit single will be featured prominently during the day.

“We’re going to make it a massive tribute to Bowie,” said protest organizer Nicole Venter, founder of MEOKO, a platform for electronic music.

Venter said some protesters will be wearing Bowie masks and brandishing banners bearing his image. Meanwhile, a vintage car will lead the march, blasting sounds of dolphins being killed at the cove—and, of course, “Heroes.”
We will probably play it several times, and people will sing along,” Venter said. “Still, this won’t become a circus. We’re there for the dolphins, but we also want to pay tribute to Bowie.”
The singer, who later sported a dolphin tattoo, was working to save dolphins and whales as early as 1972, when Bowie and the Spiders From Mars headlined the Friends of the Earth Save the Whale Benefit Concert in London.

O’Barry will not be at the protest. He leaves Sunday for Taiji, where police briefly detained him last August. On Tuesday, his Dolphin Project said 35 to 40 striped dolphins were killed at the cove.

I think London is one of the keys of stopping the slaughter,” O’Barry said.

“ ‘Heroes’ is our theme song, and they’re going to play it loud,” he added. “The Japanese government will have a very difficult time dealing with that PR nightmare. Thank you, David Bowie.”

http://www.takepart.com/article/201...d-whales?cmpid=tpanimals-eml-2016-01-16-bowie

January 23, 2016 Blog

David Bowie

AN APPRECIATION OF A GREAT ARTIST

David Bowie dying is such a bummer, and I want to acknowledge what a huge influence he was on me. I bought a handful of albums growing up which I can say heavily influenced me, and one of those was Changesonebowie, which came out in 1976.
81JhnepONWL._SL1429_-300x300.jpg

When I first heard the song “Fame” on the radio, it sounded like nothing else out there. “Golden Years” and “Fame” were two very distinctly different songs. I was raised on AM radio, which was brilliant back then, Motown, Stones, Beatles and all that Bay Area funk stuff, and listening to it in the late ‘60s and early ‘70s in San Francisco was a really rich thing. And Bowie was just so different, and after hearing “Fame” I had to get Changesonebowie.

I would, at that time, also scan the papers for new horror and sci-fi movies coming out, and Bowie was in a movie called The Man Who Fell To Earth and being a science-fiction fan, I recognized that title from the likes Ray Bradbury and Isaac Asimov. It was based on a story called The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. I was way into science-fiction! So I thought ‘wow, that looks interesting’. I remember watching it and getting a little disoriented, a little confused, and thinking that maybe that movie was a little bit too sophisticated for my adolescent brain! But at the same time the images were very haunting, the image of Bowie as an alien was exactly as I had seen him in my mind, something completely different and from another dimension and other-worldly.
bowie.gif

The movie touched on other things like xenophobia, the inability to acclimate to other cultures and it even touched on climate change because his native planet was dying. And over the years I thought about it a lot; my inability to cope with where I came from, where I was and where I was going. And as an adult I found myself interpreting the movie in a way my younger self had not been able to. I think we’ve all found ourselves there, and looking back I wonder if Bowie was always there in a creative sense himself? Perhaps that’s why he was always seen to be moving, always changing, and my thought is that maybe those were questions that lingered in his mind as well. I want to try and understand his motivations, and also how he was able to influence so many people and make such great art. I found empathy with him and he found empathy with so many of us, and it was almost as though Bowie was there to save us from ourselves with his music. Let’s just say that his range of empathy was greater than the average human being.
large.gif

I did meet him.

I’d chosen to not just throw the story out there, but I feel this is the right time. Before I start though, let me just say I think Bowie’s final album Blackstar is a brilliant, brilliant final message. He managed to invite us all, and I think it’s the first time that someone has creatively involved their passing as an integral part of their final work. It’s incredible and I’m totally blown away. I hope to leave as artistically as he did. He always struck me as incredibly generous. Very honest, open and full of integrity.

These feelings which were vindicated on one night in during the “Madly In Anger” world tour in Kansas City. Joe Satriani, Velvet Revolver and David Bowie were all in the same hotel as us because we all had shows in the same area.

We rolled into the hotel, bedded down, woke up and headed down to the gym. Ran into Velvet Revolver, then my bro Joe Satriani, and then hopped onto the Lifecycle for 30 minutes. I became aware that there was some activity going on behind me, but I didn’t wanna turn around and stare. I thought Bowie might be in the hotel because why not, everyone else playing in town was, and out of my peripheral vision I saw a big guy training someone but I couldn’t confirm anything because I didn’t want to get into celebrity rubbernecking. I had a feeling it was him though. Later on, because it was a day-off, Rob said we should go and see David Bowie as he was playing. We had an early dinner, and the restaurant we went to was close to the venue, a short cab-ride so no problem.

We got there, and our old tour manager Ian Jeffrey was working the tour, he got us in, so ostensibly we were there to see the show and say ‘hi’ to Ian. He sorted us out, and it was really cool, he had Earl Slick back on guitar who I really liked, he played all the songs I expected him to play and a few deeper cuts; Rob and I just had the greatest time. Afterwards, we went to say hi to Ian, and I had no expectation of meeting David because I’d heard he was very private and liked to lie low after the show, I don’t blame him, that’s what we do. We were just leaving and Ian said, ‘no no wait, David wants to say hi.’ He’d only been offstage for 15 minutes, we usually take at least 45 minutes before we can get our girdles off and take our vitamins! He came out, wearing sweats and a t-shirt, and said ‘hi how ya doing Kirk, hi Rob!’ I couldn’t believe it! And then all the fanboy stuff came out, how he’d been an inspiration, blah blah blah. He said he’d known about us for a long time, liked our music and told us to carry on! Rob and I were beaming. SO we hung out with Ian and a few other crew guys we knew, before deciding to leave about 45 minutes later. I asked Tom Robb (my tour assistant) to find a cab, and we leave the backstage area, out through the gate, before I suddenly realize I have been really ****ing naïve! How am I going to get a taxi-cab when nearly 8000 people are making their way out at the same time from a rock concert parking lot! How out of touch was that? I looked at Rob and said, ‘man, we’re ****ed!’ I was frustrated, I asked Tom to call our tour manager and try to sort something out, and I remember being so flustered and disappointed with myself that I just sat on the curb with my head in my hands, staring at the ground.

I didn’t see this tour bus glide out of the backstage gates, but all of a sudden it’s pulled up, right in front of me, and the door has opened. I see David Bowie’s tour manager. He said, ‘aren’t you staying in the same hotel as us? Looks like you need a ride! David wanted me to ask if you wanna catch a ride with us?’

I instantly said ‘sure’ and let me tell you, I felt like one of those guys in Wayne’s World. We go up the steps, turn into the lounge and there’s David with a huge grin on his face saying ‘sit down sit down. Rob and I sat down, once again the fan boy stuff came out, and I cannot remember all the details but we did talk about stuff like music and his love for The Dandy Warhols, I also remember apologizing to him, saying ‘sorry David for nicking the title “Leper Messiah”’ and he was laughing. Cliff and I listened to Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars daily on the ’85 Ride The Lightning US tour, so yes, I lifted the title from the title track of that album. I listened to Ziggy…looking for answers to all these questions that were coming up in my life, and songs like “Rock ‘n’ Roll Suicide” and “Got To Hang Onto Yourself” had a big effect on me.

The entire time we were talking on that bus ride, I was surprised at how light-hearted he was. He laughed a lot, had an almost giddy, goofy sense of humor, and he was very relaxed. From looking at all his publicity photos and everything, you’d have thought ‘man, he looks like a heavy cat’ but meeting him in person was the complete opposite of that, my impressions were so off-track. And when we finally pulled up the hotel, I felt a tinge of sadness, because the greatest bus ride of my life was nearly over. We thanked him up and down, left the bus and then when we got to the hotel elevator Rob and I looked at each other and said ‘did that just really happen?’ It was a weird, beautiful and totally unexpected experience.

So yeah…a great memory of David.

In closing off here, I wanna say that The Hunger is one of the great vampire movies, the vampirism in that movie is very covert and underplayed, more about relationships over the expanse of time, and David Bowie’s transformation from a young club kid vampire into an ancient old man blows me away. The soundtrack is also amazing, a favorite of mine and one you should all check out.

Thank God David Bowie walked the earth and thank God we were able to experience what he had to give.
Until next time, when I will also get back to answering some of your questions and comments!

A whole year... :(

Rest in Peace you absolute f*cking legend.

I know I'm late as hell, but I LOOOOVE that interview where David put MTV on blast about them not playing black artists.
That interview is lit.
Bowie was like now bitches while I'm here I got something to ASK y'all.
It was a legendary low key read.
tumblr_nye43eiOdo1uohpm6o1_400.gif

For anyone whos interested, an amazing bootleg is being officially released on the 22nd of April but only through the Record Store Day thing on vinyl, which I dont follow...

Its the LA show from the Diamond Dogs tour, and has Luther Vandross as a backing singer. MUCH better than the earlier show from Philadelphia that was officially released. His voice is way better. Tony Visconti has mixed the boot!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back