Let's end the confusion about MJ's unreleased tracks here

I fully expect the estate to scrape whatever they can together even if it means calling in totally unrelated people to finish stuff.
Agreed. If they did that with an unfinished cover of all things then why not with everything else in the vault that could have more potential? As for the songs that have very few vocals (like Monster) or have no vocals at all I think they'll never be released.

RedOne already made his demands to the Estate and they've shown no interest, doubt it.

Will.I.Am has had a clear stance in the last 10 or so years that he'll never release the songs, I also doubt that he'll change his mind again after the Estate didn't allow him to release I'm Dreaming.

I would love for that to happen but I don't think it will, take a look at Hot Fun In The Summertime for example; the song is an unfinished cover with only a verse and a chorus and they decided to remix it and call in 2 singers to fill the missing vocals. I think that's what will happen to other unfinished songs in the fault, after all why clear the vault all at once rather make as much money from it as possible? Think of it from a business standpoint.
U are very wrong hot fun in summertime's have only 2 verses and short Michael recorded only one verse .there is even multitracks

I'm also noticing that the songs that are more recent were all recorded in 2008, none of the songs we are hearing about so far were made in 2006, 2007 or 2009. Maybe around 2006/2007 he was more focused on the sessions with Will.I.Am and Akon?
That seems to be how it always went. Invincible shows how it works; entire albums worth of tracks from 1998 to 1999, scrap all of most of it and do some totally different stuff from 2000 to 2001. A lot of music is made late in development.

I expect a duets album to come out at some point in the future, . I expect the estate to get contemporary artists to finish off incomplete songs that only have a chorus or a verse. It would make a lot of business sense.
Fans have been expecting this since 2011. It hasn't happened thankfully. Maybe it won't happen for our entire lifetime. We really don't need to keep expecting it though.

My crazy idea: They could make megamixes and mix in unfinished hooks and parts from songs in the vault.

In addition to giving away songs, Don't Matter to Me style.

if duets will happen in the future, then they only should be used for filling in (missing verse ie.).
replacing MJ vocals is a big no. keep all the MJ vocals and don't replace them.

this STTR 2013 Mix (feat. Justin Bieber) did it the wrong way.

Fans have been expecting this since 2011. It hasn't happened thankfully. Maybe it won't happen for our entire lifetime. We really don't need to keep expecting it though.

My crazy idea: They could make megamixes and mix in unfinished hooks and parts from songs in the vault.

In addition to giving away songs, Don't Matter to Me style.
I think the reason we haven't yet got a duets album is because I believe that there is still more than enough vocally complete Michael Jacksons songs in the vault for another 2-3 albums.

But once the well dries out and they are only left with incomplete songs with just a chorus or a verse recorded, then the duets album will drop. But it probably won't happen in the next decade, at least.

But once the well dries out and they are only left with incomplete songs with just a chorus or a verse recorded, then the duets album will drop. But it probably won't happen in the next decade, at least.
Not much of a problem if they give us the original versions as well, even if said versions barely have vocals on them. I don't want to hear a song that's sold as a MJ song that barely has MJ on it (whether that's with the vocals or instrumentals), I also wanna know what vision MJ originally had for the song. Imagine if they give us GOAL but instead it's turned into an electronic trap music with 2 rappers singing it lmao.

Last edited:
I think the reason we haven't yet got a duets album is because I believe that there is still more than enough vocally complete Michael Jacksons songs in the vault for another 2-3 albums.

Ok so it's exactly what I was talking about.
Maybe it won't happen for our entire lifetime.
By the time the well dries out, at the rate they're going, well be in our 80s older age and all of today's talents will be near MJs age, 50 and up. Maybe a little lower. A few like JT and Pharrell basically already there. So by then. An entirely new generation to not concern ourselves with. Basically in the territory they are in with Tupac and Biggie now, 20 years on, only even more exaggerated. They'll never catch up to Elvis levels of saturation though.

Also in the next decade, Thriller will just be turning 50. So by then we'll maybe just be hearing Nightline and other unheard songs finally dropped officially. Lol, they're not anywhere close to bottom of the Barrel.

Not much of a problem if they give us the original versions as well, even if said versions barely have vocals on them. I don't want to hear a song that's sold as a MJ song that barely has MJ on it (whether that's with the vocals or instrumentals), I also wanna know what vision MJ originally had for the song. Imagine if they give us GOAL but instead it's turned into an electronic trap music with 2 rappers singing it lmao.
what tf is GOAL?

That seems to be how it always went. Invincible shows how it works; entire albums worth of tracks from 1998 to 1999, scrap all of most of it and do some totally different stuff from 2000 to 2001. A lot of music is made late in development.
Invincible seemed to be an outlier in that regard; older albums had a pretty even spread between newer and old tracks. All but three or four songs on HIStory began during the first year of production (1994), Dangerous picks from all two and a half years of its development (1989-1991), and Bad mostly consists of tracks written in 1986.

What are the odds the Little Susie demo is done with a cheap sounding drum pattern like who do you know and the toy?
Hopefully it is on piano or acoustic guitar instead.

Ok so it's exactly what I was talking about.
The main reason for not having yet a duets album has to do with royalties issues.

Splitting and sharing royalties in such situations can be a very tricky and difficult task for both sides.

Firstly, people who manage Michael Jackson's music have to get the proper copyright licenses from other record labels.

Secondly, the artists (from those other record labels) if they like the songs then they also have to give their consent for such a release.

Aside royalties issues, there is also another thing: a duets album typically sells harder than a normal album, and this is a consideration that record labels are aware of.

The main reason for not having yet a duets album has to do with royalties issues.

Splitting and sharing royalties in such situations can be a very tricky and difficult task for both sides.

Firstly, people who manage Michael Jackson's music have to get the proper copyright licenses from other record labels.

Secondly, the artists (from those other record labels) if they like the songs then they also have to give their consent for such a release.

Aside royalties issues, there is also another thing: a duets album typically sells harder than a normal album, and this is a consideration that record labels always take notice of.
Lmfao, what?

Sony and the estate secured posthumous duets/features by Akon, 50 Cent, Lenny Kravitz, Justin Timberlake, Justin Bieber (presumably), D’Angelo, and Mary J. Blige with apparent ease. Royalty divisions also extend to production and songwriting credits, and they had no issue retaining Teddy Riley, Neff-U, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Mark Ronson, Tricky Stewart, Burt Bacharach, Timbaland, StarGate, Rodney Jerkins, Paul Anka, Babyface, or any of the other contributors to MICHAEL and XSCAPE. Royalties isn’t an issue.

Also, when you say “sells harder,” do you mean “won’t be as successful”? If so, that’s ignoring the fact that the Timberlake version of “Love Never Felt So Good” accounted for around 80% of single sales and propelled MJ back into the Top 10, which the Drake “duet” of “Don’t Matter to Me” replicated a few years later. Setting aside the authenticity issue, placing a current artist with MJ is a guaranteed moneymaker.

We don’t know why the long-discussed duets album hasn’t happened yet. In all likelihood they just haven’t actively tried to put one together.

I'll basically repeat what Nite Line said, I think the reason a duets album hasn't happened yet is because there's still plenty of vocally finished material in the vault, the Estate doesn't need to resort to unfinished songs just yet. Although it's a matter of time until that happens, whether that's in the next 10-15 years or so.

I'll basically repeat what Nite Line said, I think the reason a duets album hasn't happened yet is because there's still plenty of vocally finished material in the vault, the Estate doesn't need to resort to unfinished songs just yet. Although it's a matter of time until that happens, whether that's in the next 10-15 years or so.
Yeah, the discovery of “Dreams Away” and the revelation of “Who Do You Know” gives me some hope that there’s still tracks we either don’t know about or are more complete than we think.

It's pretty similar to the final apart from different vocals.
So it already had more or less the same instrumental. I was kind of hoping for an acoustic guitar or piano take. It worked very well with the she's out of my life and love never felt so good demos.

Since there aren't that many outtakes from the HIStory era I wouldn't mind if the Estate released the demos of the album on a re-issue. Put the Bad era demos of Tabloid Junkie and Earth Song, the demo of Little Susie and the Dangerous era demos of TDCAU and Stranger In Moscow and it would make for an interesting tracklist for the second disc.

Nonsense. The music INDUSTRY can cope perfectly well with the royalty issue. People have been recording duets for decades.

Royalties isn’t an issue.
Exactly so.

We don’t know why the long-discussed duets album hasn’t happened yet. In all likelihood they just haven’t actively tried to put one together.
Sounds about right.

It's an uncomfortable reality to acknowledge but it's the reality. MJ as a franchise will outlast us all in our mortal lives. And it won't take a duet album to reappraise him to the next generation of modern artists. But by then they might actually decide to do that. A long, long, time from now.

But really, Branca is just exercising Thome Thome ideas and duets wasn't one so it ain't even on the radar tbh.

Aside royalties issues, there is also another thing: a duets album typically sells harder than a normal album, and this is a consideration that record labels are aware of.
Why did you quote me. Plz don't do that.

they even fail to release one proper single for the charts to promote T40.
(something like Queen has done this year).

putting together a duets album is far too difficult for this estate. :D

Speaking of a duets album, it would be better to release the duets album soon. On a potential duets album, I would want it to feature artists that either worked with Michael or contemporary artists who were heavily inspired by Michael. If they wait another 20 years to do a duets albums, most artists that worked with Michael will probably be dead (sorry) and the contemporary artists will be those who were probably born after 2009 and so weren't really inspired by Michael.

Back