LIBERIAN GIRL

Does anybody know why this amazing song wasn't released as a single in the US?

This song is better than most MJ songs!!! Only 10 songs are better than this song

Indeed! I don't remember where I read it, it's said the initial demo of LG's almost identical to the Q produced album version.

Same with Billie Jean & Smooth Criminal. I wonder if there are any other unheard songs of same caliber in lying around in the vault. Buffalo Bill maybe?
Seems a lot of the stuff was already there on MJ's original demos for Bad. Just needed a final polish but all the elements were already there in some form or another.

I said JGF was the more interesting song, but it doesn't give you a holiday feeling like Liberian Girl.
btw. why is it Liberia? Maybe there is a double meaning like "liberal"

What irritates me is that MJ completely neglected this brilliant piece of music. It should have been one of the classics, a radio staple, releasing it this late in the bad cycle doesnā€™t do this song justice. Same for Smooth Criminal but that song still became iconic, luckily.

What irritates me is that MJ completely neglected this brilliant piece of music. It should have been one of the classics, a radio staple, releasing it this late in the bad cycle doesnā€™t do this song justice. Same for Smooth Criminal but that song still became iconic, luckily.
the album had too many brilliant songs. Problem was, which one's to be released prior to the others?

Would Liberian Girl have been a Number 1 if it was one of the 5 released songs? Another Part of Me? Smooth Criminal?

Definitely Smooth Criminal would've been a #1 if it was the 6th single released. Much as I love Another Part of Me.

Would Liberian Girl have been a Number 1 if it was one of the 5 released songs? Another Part of Me? Smooth Criminal?

Definitely Smooth Criminal would've been a #1 if it was the 6th single released. Much as I love Another Part of Me.
If IJCSLY made it then so can LB

I said JGF was the more interesting song, but it doesn't give you a holiday feeling like Liberian Girl.
btw. why is it Liberia? Maybe there is a double meaning like "liberal"
It has been said that 'Liberian Girl' also refers to Liberia (the largest city of Costa Rica).

Michael Jackson and Diana Ross were together on vacation there in 1983, and later (in the same year) he wrote that song for her.

So, 'Liberian Girl' seems to have a double meaning (a reference to Liberia in Costa Rica, and a reference to Liberia in Africa).
But the sleeve: Why does Michael look like he wants to fight? The big belt, the handwrapping, his whole stance :LOL:
One would expect the red shirt outfit (that he wears at the end of the 'Liberian Girl' music video) for the front cover of the 'Liberian Girl' single, rather than this yellow shirt outfit which looks very random considering that it comes from the 'Come Together' music video.

It has been said that 'Liberian Girl' also refers to Liberia (the largest city of Costa Rica).

Michael Jackson and Diana Ross were together on vacation there in 1983, and later (in the same year) he wrote that song for her.

So, 'Liberian Girl' seems to have a double meaning (a reference to Liberia in Costa Rica, and a reference to Liberia in Africa).

One would expect the red shirt outfit (that he wears at the end of the 'Liberian Girl' music video) for the front cover of the 'Liberian Girl' single, rather than this yellow shirt outfit which looks very random considering that it comes from the 'Come Together' music video.
It is rather strange to have the intro in Swahili, isnā€™t it?

Back