Looking back, Janet Jackson wasn't very good

Michaelsherry59

Proud Member
She never did anything special, her music has aged like shit, couldn't sing, average dancer who looked stiff, not an innovator, didn't break new grounds, boring repetitive live performances.

Oh, that's astonishingly tone-deaf to say, to basically slag off Janet like that.

I get it, Janet was not Michael. But she never tried to be. She did her own thing, and that's what matters. It's especially unfair that Janet's career was shoved into the dirt after the Super Bowl performance the way it was. But it's also telling that she and the family did their best to shake that off and go "Focusing on helping Michael is more important."

She was very influential, she even influenced her big brother with the release of rhythm nation. If that album did not exist then Dangerous would have sounded completely different. Both albums are the to go to albums for new jack swing imo.
Around 1989 no other artist visually was doing what Janet did and she achieved all that with little to no nudity or controversy unlike Madonna (no offense).

You donā€™t know what you are talking about. Janet was great and she has influenced so many modern artists, especially the female artists. She even influenced Michael.

Janet wasn't innovative, what did she really do that was great exactly? I was born in 59, I'm pretty much the same age Michael and witnessing his rise to the top was magical and eventful in everyway, his discography, dance moves were innovative, fantastic music videos, legendary performances.

Janet on the other hand, hasn't done anything that people will look back. She was never great, she doesn't have classics that have transcended to different generations

Well...it all depends on who you compare her with.
If you compare her to Michael, then of course she was nothing special. But then again, nobody really is under those conditions.
But compared to other women performers, especially from that time...she was at the top for sure.

Me personally, I don't find her music extra replayable, but would sure as heck prefer her to a random Madonna.
Perhaps Natalie Imbruglia tops her. And Pink, to a certain degree (she overstays her welcome too quickly).

Janet wasn't innovative, what did she really do that was great exactly? I was born in 59, I'm pretty much the same age Michael and witnessing his rise to the top was magical and eventful in everyway, his discography, dance moves were innovative, fantastic music videos, legendary performances.

Janet on the other hand, hasn't done anything that people will look back. She was never great, she doesn't have classics that have transcended to different generations
Not everybody is Michael Jackson.
Michael was next level just like Prince .
Both these 2 had a very high standard.
Just because someone isn't at the "once in a lifetime" level doesn't mean he or she is not good

Not everybody is Michael Jackson.
Michael was next level just like Prince .
Both these 2 had a very high standard.
Just because someone isn't at the "once in a lifetime" level doesn't mean he or she is not good
Let me take Michael out of the picture. What has Janet done to really make her this amazing lifetime talent her try and make her out to be? She wasn't very original at all, her music has aged like milk, the dancing, awful vocals.

What has really done? Jimmy jam and Terry Lewis were her saviours

This might go against what I said but let's be real here too, she benefitted a lot in the 90s because of how Michaels life was becoming a problem.

Janet was great and she has influenced so many modern artists, especially the female artists. She even influenced Michael.
Yeah, look at who's popular now such as Lizzo, Doja Cat, Megan Thee Stallion, Chloe x Halle, Cardi B, BTS (and J-Pop/K-Pop in general), Teyana Taylor, Rihanna, BeyoncĆ©, etc. Also look at all of those TikTok dance crazes. šŸ¤£

Yeah, look at who's popular now such as Lizzo, Doja Cat, Megan Thee Stallion, Chloe x Halle, Cardi B, BTS (and J-Pop/K-Pop in general), Teyana Taylor, Rihanna, BeyoncĆ©, etc. Also look at all of those TikTok dance crazes. šŸ¤£
Has half of them even stated they were influenced by Janet?

67b47a2896691de6ce4fd7aefd3d9010b1fa54f3.jpg

Doja Cat (Billboard February 2022 interview):

What performers did you look to growing up?

Itā€™s pretty obvious that Iā€™m in love with everything Nicki Minaj has put out into the world. You have your Janets and your BeyoncĆ©s. I look at [other artistsā€™] projects and performances and go, ā€œWow, I hope one day I get to that point.ā€

You quoting these celebs and praising Janet isn't the end all be all. Again she only got where she was because of Jimmy and Terry, Michaels life being out of control throughout the 90s. She didn't even have to rehearse to get a label deal. She's had easy privilege

You quoting these celebs and praising Janet isn't the end all be all.
You first said Janet has no influence, then you asked if those people I listed say they're influenced by Janet, and now you're saying something else. šŸ˜‚ I don't just make up stuff like you, I can post proof. I don't even have to post quotes, I can look at Ciara's & Lizzo's music videos and tell they watched Janet.

So me saying that Janet benefitted from Jimmy and Terry is me making up stuff now? What about the fact that she didn't have to rehearse to get a record deal? Her early albums before Control were a failures and who helped her after that? Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't they considering to drop her ass out of the label she was with then because her first two albums flopped until Jimmy and Terry came to the rescue?

I feel like you guys are letting the "Jackson name" ruin your arguments just because she's related to Michael and y'all feel YOU have to defend her because that's mike's little sister

Oh, that's astonishingly tone-deaf to say, to basically slag off Janet like that.

I get it, Janet was not Michael. But she never tried to be. She did her own thing, and that's what matters. It's especially unfair that Janet's career was shoved into the dirt after the Super Bowl performance the way it was. But it's also telling that she and the family did their best to shake that off and go "Focusing on helping Michael is more important."

Oh please, Janet planned for that Superbowl moment to happen, it just botched big time and it hurt her credibility as a live performer..

If that's all it is, then how come LaToya's records weren't successful? LaToya released 11 albums.
Janet was a well known celebrity for doing other things prior to her fluke of a music career, the kid was an actress. Had a huge advantage and mind you she didn't even have to rehearse to get a label. That's how lucky and easy she has had it.

Latoya wasn't seen as an individual celeb, she was just known as a member of the Jackson family.

Oh by the way, nice one avoiding what I said about Jimmy jam and Terry Lewis

Janet was a well known celebrity for doing other things prior to her fluke of a music career, the kid was an actress. Had a huge advantage and mind you she didn't even have to rehearse to get a label. That's how lucky and easy she has had it.

Latoya wasn't seen as an individual celeb, she was just known as a member of the Jackson family.

Oh by the way, nice one avoiding what I said about Jimmy jam and Terry Lewis
Mike's most successful albums were produced by Quincy Jones though and they had Quincys team of session musicians. As for the other comment, many actors released albums like William Shatner, Burt Reynolds, Clint Eastwood, etc and they were a lot more well known than Penny on Good Times. Doesn't mean a lot of people bought their albums.

Back