Looking back, Janet Jackson wasn't very good

Mike's most successful albums were produced by Quincy Jones though and they had Quincys team of session musicians. As for the other comment, many actors released albums like William Shatner, Burt Reynolds, Clint Eastwood, etc and they were a lot more well known than Penny on Good Times. Doesn't mean a lot of people bought their albums.
Because they didn't have a family to give them a huge advantage. Janet did, the fact that she had a free contract to make 4 albums says it all

Michael Jackson was a brilliant artist that dates back to the early 70s. Quincy and Mike wanted to work with each other. Mike actually auditioned to become an artist. Unlike J Jackson

Jam & Lewis produced a record by Pia Zadora. How did that work out? The only song that most people know by Pia is a duet with Jermaine, which wasn't produced by them.

Pia is more known for her acting. Ask anyone of her generation and they would fail to name you her records

Pia is more known for her acting. Ask anyone of her generation and they would fail to name you her records
That isn't the point. You said Janet is only successful because of Jam & Lewis. If that's the case then Pia would have been a hit because they produced her too. Also Janet's debut had a few R&B hits. It just didn't crossover.

Party All The Time was a Top 10 hit on the pop chart. Eddie also released 3 or 4 other music albums.

She was very influential, she even influenced her big brother with the release of rhythm nation. If that album did not exist then Dangerous would have sounded completely different. Both albums are the to go to albums for new jack swing imo.
Around 1989 no other artist visually was doing what Janet did and she achieved all that with little to no nudity or controversy unlike Madonna (no offense).
Michael Jackson was infatuated with the sound of the 'Spend The Night' song (released in 1988 by the American new jack swing Guy band).

That was the sound that he was looking for when he was creating his 'Dangerous' album.

So, even if the 'Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814' album did not exist, the 'Dangerous' album would still have become a new jack swing album.

Milli Vanilli sold 7 or 8 million copies of their album in the USA and Rob & Fab didn't even sing on it. Even today, their videos on Youtube have many millions of views. They were hired because they were attractive and the actual singers less so.

That isn't the point. You said Janet is only successful because of Jam & Lewis. If that's the case then Pia would have been a hit because they produced her too. Also Janet's debut had a few R&B hits. It just didn't crossover.

Party All The Time was a Top 10 hit on the pop chart. Eddie also released 3 or 4 other music albums.
Damn you dodged the question, yes it is the point because Pia is more known for her movies than music, I've seen. Janet is a pop star, just like her brother was, they ain't R&B or soul music.

After Party all the time Eddie's music career was pretty much done. Also Eddie was well known for his comedian.

Milli Vanilli sold 7 or 8 million copies of their album in the USA and Rob & Fab didn't even sing on it. Even today, their videos on Youtube have many millions of views. They were hired because they were attractive and the actual singers less so.
I don't see how that's relevant to Janet Jackson and the discussion we're having.

We're strictly talking about her easy privilege

If that's all it is, then how come LaToya's records weren't successful? LaToya released 11 albums.
Me personally....I felt like she could've been where janet was but she was never around the right ppl for some reason. I feel like she was supposed to blow up! I've been watching the detail Channel on her. Still waiting on pt 3

But Janet wasn't that good. It was easy family privilege and Jimmy/Terry Lewis who helped her

We're strictly talking about her easy privilege
What privilege? People don't buy records because they are related to someone else. If that's the case, then how come none of the Beatle children or Lisa Marie Presley were burning up the charts? Julian Lennon had some brief popularity with his debut album, but Sean Lennon, Dhani Harrison, Zak Starkey, etc didn't do that well. The only one that had a long really successful career is Paul's daughter Stella, but not in music. She's a clothing designer. It's not like Yoko Ono's music got a lot of airplay either, even though John actively tried to promote her. How about Ozzy Osbourne's daughters Ami & Kelly, they both released records. Clint Eastwood's son Kyle released jazz albums. Are many people buying/streaming the music of the 2nd generation Jacksons like Austin Brown, Paris Jackson, 3T, Jafaar Jackson, etc.

What privilege? People don't buy records because they are related to someone else. If that's the case, then how come none of the Beatle children or Lisa Marie Presley were burning up the charts? Julian Lennon had some brief popularity with his debut album, but Sean Lennon, Dhani Harrison, Zak Starkey, etc didn't do that well. The only one that had a long really successful career is Paul's daughter Stella, but not in music. She's a clothing designer. It's not like Yoko Ono's music got a lot of airplay either, even though John actively tried to promote her. How about Ozzy Osbourne's daughters Ami & Kelly, they both released records. Clint Eastwood's son Kyle released jazz albums. Are many people buying/streaming the music of the 2nd generation Jacksons like Austin Brown, Paris Jackson, 3T, Jafaar Jackson, etc.

Right so let's just forget I mentioned the fact that Janet and a free contract to produce 4 albums right? Let's forget she didn't have to audition at all right? Let's just forget that it was her family that was paying for her career to happen right?

You fucking dimwit, listen to yourself, your arguments have been bad and 3T were pretty damn popular throughout the 90s, especially in Europe

Right so let's just forget I mentioned the fact that Janet and a free contract to produce 4 albums right? Let's forget she didn't have to audition at all right?
Your point is what? Prince got record deals for his girlfriends like Vanity, Jill Jones, & Mayte. Jill was the only one that was originally a singer. Vanity was a model & Mayte was a dancer. Paula Abdul & Jennifer Lopez also were dancers that got record deals. Jody Watley & Jeffrey Daniel from Shalamar were first dance partners on Soul Train. What about Will Smith's kids Willow & Jaden? Quincy Jones son QDIII is a hip hop producer. Diana Ross' daughter Tracee is a well known TV actress.

There's also a long list of singers & actresses throughout the entire history of the recording business & Hollywood that got a career because of the "casting couch", not because of any audition. Some male singers/actors got the casting couch too. However Janet got her record deal, that did not make her have a really successful career or make people buy her records. Janet's records sold a lot, Vanity's didn't. A lot of people bought Janet's records. First you said Janet was helped by being a Jackson, but being Elvis daughter did not help Lisa Marie's records to sell. All of the Jackson sibling released solo albums, but most were not that successful. Jermaine & Rebbie mainly had some R&B hits, Marlon had a song that reached #2 on the R&B chart.

Your point is what? Prince got record deals for his girlfriends like Vanity, Jill Jones, & Mayte. Jill was the only one that was originally a singer. Vanity was a model & Mayte was a dancer. Paula Abdul & Jennifer Lopez also were dancers that got record deals. Jody Watley & Jeffrey Daniel from Shalamar were first dance partners on Soul Train. What about Will Smith's kids Willow & Jaden? Quincy Jones son QDIII is a hip hop producer. Diana Ross' daughter Tracee is a well known TV actress.

There's also a long list of singers & actresses throughout the entire history of the recording business & Hollywood that got a career because of the "casting couch", not because of any audition. Some male singers/actors got the casting couch too. However Janet got her record deal, that did not make her have a really successful career or make people buy her records. Janet's records sold a lot, Vanity's didn't. A lot of people bought Janet's records. First you said Janet was helped by being a Jackson, but being Elvis daughter did not help Lisa Marie's records to sell. All of the Jackson sibling released solo albums, but most were not that successful. Jermaine & Rebbie mainly had some R&B hits, Marlon had a song that reached #2 on the R&B chart.
Facts 👍

My goodness your arguments have been so fucking bad, I'm actually curious if you actually know anything at this point. Those names you mentioned didn't receive a "FREE" (keyword) Free contract for 4 album to produce, neither of those names you mentioned had to audition. Her family were paying for her success all the way through, she benefitted a lot from Michael's life going downhill throughout the 90s due to the allegations as well. Vanity, Jill Jones, Mayte and other members of Prince's proteges didn't get very far and neither of them were singers, they didn't have a successful family filled with musicians who were dominating the charts like Janet did with her brothers hence Jackson 5 or Jacksons

And do you think those Soul train dancers had free contracts and didn't have to audition to get a record deal? Because if you think that then you're clearly wrong.

You're clearly not getting the point at all and at this point you're letting the Jackson name ruin your arguments just because you feel you have to defend her due to Janet being Michaels sister.
Janet has benefited a lot due to her family being so famous and being this big pop culture name they once were

Not, "facts" if you actually knew your history
Chill,I wasn't even alive at the time ,so I can’t be some kind of reliable information source (since nothing big happened for either Michael or Janet since 2006,the year I was born).
But Duran Duran's arguments seem pretty valid to me.

And do you think those Soul train dancers had free contracts and didn't have to audition to get a record deal? Because if you think that then you're clearly wrong.
They sure didn't. Shalamar wasn't even a real group at first. Dick Griffey got some session singers together to make a disco track called Uptown Festival, which was a medley of old Motown hits. The song was originally released on Soul Train Records which was put together by Griffey & the host of Soul Train (Don Cornelius). The song became a hit, and they needed a group to perform, but there was no group. So Don got 2 dancers Jeffrey & Jody and one of the session singers on Uptown Festival named Gary Mumford. An album was released with all 3 of them on the record cover, but the only one who sang on the album is Gary. The other lead & background vocals were by other session singers. Gary soon left and was replaced by another Soul Train guy named Gerald Brown. On the second album, Jody, Jeffrey, & Gerald sang on it. Don decided he didn't want to run a record company and he sold his part to Dick Griffey and he changed the name from Soul Train Records to Solar Records. Gerald Brown left and he was replaced by Howard Hewett and this was was considered the classic lineup of Shalamar.

They sure didn't. Shalamar wasn't even a real group at first. Dick Griffey got some session singers together to make a disco track called Uptown Festival, which was a medley of old Motown hits. The song was originally released on Soul Train Records which was put together by Griffey & the host of Soul Train (Don Cornelius). The song became a hit, and they needed a group to perform, but there was no group. So Don got 2 dancers Jeffrey & Jody and one of the session singers on Uptown Festival named Gary Mumford. An album was released with all 3 of them on the record cover, but the only one who sang on the album is Gary. The other lead & background vocals were by other session singers. Gary soon left and was replaced by another Soul Train guy named Gerald Brown. On the second album, Jody, Jeffrey, & Gerald sang on it. Don decided he didn't want to run a record company and he sold his part to Dick Griffey and he changed the name from Soul Train Records to Solar Records. Gerald Brown left and he was replaced by Howard Hewett and this was was considered the classic lineup of Shalamar.
Right, but did they have the easy family privilege that Janet Jackson had? Free record contract to record 4 albums and even more? Her entire career was paid by her whole family. She wasn't a good Dancer, had a well trained person to teach her how to dance

You can keep using flawed analogies but you have completely missed the point.

Chill,I wasn't even alive at the time ,so I can’t be some kind of reliable information source (since nothing big happened for either Michael or Janet since 2006,the year I was born).
But Duran Duran's arguments seem pretty valid to me.
How are that users arguments valid and he has completely missed my point? Let alone not comprehend what I said? He's used flawed analogies and tried to use Prince's proteges but it failed completely.

You left a statement despite saying you're not the best source? Wtf?

How are that users arguments valid and he has completely missed my point? Let alone not comprehend what I said? He's used flawed analogies and tried to use Prince's proteges but it failed completely.

You left a statement despite saying you're not the best source? Wtf?
I'm not the best of sources when it comes to either Michael's or Janet's story.
But i was easily able to state that Duran Duran's arguments seem pretty valid(AND I MENTIONED THAT TO ME) BECAUSE i actually had the chance to read and comprehend them. In Mike's case i didn't have the chance to experince him alive (or Janet in her prime) and make a well documented opinion for myself.
That's what i've meant. Really now

Last edited:
I'm not the best of sources when it comes to either Michael's or Janet's story.
But i was easily able to state that Duran Duran's arguments seem pretty valid(AND I MENTIONED THAT TO ME) BECAUSE i actually had the chance to read and comprehend them. In Mike's case i didn't have the chance to experince him alive (or Janet in her prime) and make a well documented opinion for myself.
That's what i've meant. Really now
Right and him trying to use Prince's proteges as his counter which were not valid now valid? Lol give me a fucking break

Back