Looking for pics. Michael in front of the crowd

This I wanna see. I thought at this point these scenes only happened in the US but apparently the mania in the UK was just as big. So much footage lost in time, lets have a moment of silence.

Uhm what? Do I misunderstand ?this is wrong info?!
What don't you understand? What info is incorrect? Is it the Beatles medley? If they got that wrong it's not the only thing. That bit about the crowd being equal to a third of the Liverpool population? Simply don't believe that the population of Liverpool was that small back then.

375, 000? I don't believe it.

What don't you understand? What info is incorrect? Is it the Beatles medley? If they got that wrong it's not the only thing. That bit about the crowd being equal to a third of the Liverpool population? Simply don't believe that the population of Liverpool was that small back then.

375, 000? I don't believe it.
Yes the beatles medley. Michael surely did not bring a beatles medley, we would have all heard of it had it really happened!

I googled and the population currently is just a bit shy of 500 000 people. Doesn’t seem an unlikely quote I guess.

Yes the beatles medley. Michael surely did not bring a beatles medley, we would have all heard of it had it really happened!

I googled and the population currently is just a bit shy of 500 000 people. Doesn’t seem an unlikely quote I guess.
Nah, not buying that population figure. I know Liverpool.

Anyway, I looked at an earlier Liverpool Echo report - 2015 - which was looking back at the gig and it also mentioned the Beatles medley. There is a nice little tv news report embedded in the piece so I was gonna post the link but, unfortunately, the reporter uses the 'J' word twice and 'WJ' once so I won't. There were a couple of clips from the show.

There were 125,000 people at that gig. Someone must know about this Beatles medley thing.

That little tv report I mentioned is on YT as a standalone. Looking at the comments I see someone has mentioned that the concert was shot on film. I did think that the footage looked really good.

No-one's mentioning the medley thing. I'm gonna give up.

That little tv report I mentioned is on YT as a standalone. Looking at the comments I see someone has mentioned that the concert was shot on film. I did think that the footage looked really good.

No-one's mentioning the medley thing. I'm gonna give up.
Ok, take a rest private. You did well today.

On a serious note, there simply was no medley. I will bet my life on it lol

Jackson 5 mania continues over the pond in
England. While there, they break the attendance record set by The Beatles at the Liverpool Empire Theater and perform a concert for the Queen! 1972 is a great year for brothers, especially Michael and Jermaine. Jermaine begins his solo career with his single “Daddy’s Home” and Michael sings the title track for the motion picture, Ben.

from the Jackson's page.

Ok, take a rest private. You did well today.
oh, you know that's not happening, lol.

On a serious note, there simply was no medley. I will bet my life on it lol
Does seem so. Peeps are raving about the gig in the comments, no-one is mentioning a Beatles medley. In Liverpool? That just wouldn't happen. Someone would mention it. I've now seen it 3 times in the L'pool Echo. Is this how unfounded rumours get traction? Weird.

Link to set list for Michael's gig at Aintree Racecoure, Liverpool. No mention of a Beatles medley.

****************************************************************************************************************

Update 01/10/22 - info provided by @R1chard

... during the last European date of the Bad tour, the show in Aintree, Liverpool, which I think was also the biggest show of the tour, the band played a medley of Beatles songs as the groove instrumental section.

Songs were:
Day Tripper
Taxman
I Wanna Hold Your Hand
Eleanor Rigby
Yellow Submarine
Drive My Car
Lady Madonna
Let It Be

Last edited:

@wendijane
3m - 6m 53s - it's all UK coverage starting with Madame Tussaud's (although it's embarrassing to be reminded how awful the waxwork is, lol).

Last edited:
iu

No Michael in this one but it's another one that shows the scale of his shows. Plus, check out the amazing views of the mountains in the background. Lausanne is in Switzerland, I believe.

If you look closely you can spot hiker on one of the mountains in the back
Yes!!!!!! But does she know it's a Michael Jackson show, making all that noise?
OMG! That explains all the noise I was hearing that day. No wonder I was thinking what am I doing in the mountains, I should be in that crowd making all that noise :unsure:!! One mystery solved :cool:

OMG! That explains all the noise I was hearing that day. No wonder I was thinking what am I doing in the mountains, I should be in that crowd making all that noise :unsure:!! One mystery solved :cool:
Exactly! You could hear Michael but you couldn't see him. The frustration! If only you'd had the HWT Jet Pack (which they obviously hadn't even built yet, lol) you could have flown straight over there.

Exactly! You could hear Michael but you couldn't see him. The frustration! If only you'd had the HWT Jet Pack (which they obviously hadn't even built yet, lol) you could have flown straight over there.
You mean Dangerous Jet Pack, and wait that was from Bad tour? I was like 2 at that time :D

You mean Dangerous Jet Pack, and wait that was from Bad tour? I was like 2 at that time :D
Yeah, probably. You know me, I don't really do the live shows. Actually, yeah, the Jet Pack was def earlier, wasn't it? HWT was the big-ass spaceship thingy.

@filmandmusic would know. He even knows when Michael *didn't* do something at one of his shows despite numerous newspaper reports to the contrary!

I posted 2 video clips from Lausanne, one from 1988 and one from 1997. But that photo I posted, showing the mountains in the background, that is from HWT, afaik.

Oh, that's a shame! I quite liked the idea of you activating the Jet Pack and flying over the mountains, lol.

Yeah, probably. You know me, I don't really do the live shows. Actually, yeah, the Jet Pack was def earlier, wasn't it? HWT was the big-ass spaceship thingy.

@filmandmusic would know. He even knows when Michael *didn't* do something at one of his shows despite numerous newspaper reports to the contrary!

I posted 2 video clips from Lausanne, one from 1988 and one from 1997. But that photo I posted, showing the mountains in the background, that is from HWT, afaik.

Oh, that's a shame! I quite liked the idea of you activating the Jet Pack and flying over the mountains, lol.
yeah, the Jetpack was Dangerous tour, and Spaceship was HWT. Some people also think that flying away in Jetpack and then returning in a Spaceship has some meaning. I am not one of those people ;)

Been reading some lovely accounts of people's memories of the HWT UK gigs. Feeling inspired to post this. Rubbish quality footage but some nice shots of the crowd at Sheffield Don Valley Stadium near the beginning.

Back