Lyrical Self-referencing

Psychoniff

Proud Member
Lyrical Self-referencing - use of word, phrase, name, song title etc of previously recorded track in a later song

Bless His Soul -

The life your leading is so dangerous
It's so dangerous, dangerous all
The life your leading is so dangerous
Doggone dangerous, dangerous, dangerous

Dangerous -

She's So Dangerous
The Girl Is So Dangerous

Can you guys think of any other MJ songs that do this.

Just because two songs has the same word in it it doesn't mean it's a lyrical self-referencing. The word "dangerous" is in a totally different context in those two songs.

Is It Scary and Ghosts however do share some lyrics.

Just because two songs has the same word in it it doesn't mean it's a lyrical self-referencing. The word "dangerous" is in a totally different context in those two songs.

Is It Scary and Ghosts however do share some lyrics.

Yes, but you kinda know what I mean, like in Billie Jean and Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'. The the main character an antagonist in Billie Jean is Billie Jean herself and she is further referenced in WBSS. That's lyrical self-referencing. Please help me with some more.

Last edited:
Work That Body and ABC:

Sit down girl, I think I love ya
No, get up girl, show me what you can do

Gosh there's a few isn't there? Coming up with them is tough on the spot.

I remember listening the other day and feeling the line was pretty much re-used in a different song...my memory is awful.

Gosh there's a few isn't there? Coming up with them is tough on the spot.

I remember listening the other day and feeling the line was pretty much re-used in a different song...my memory is awful.

It can be ad-libs also.

It can be ad-libs also.

He used the same adlibs from Blame It On The Boggie on Scream Blame It On Yourself Oh he also used adlibs from Serious Effect on This Time Around.

You are not alone and Speechless You are always in my heart

Behind The Mask, 2Bad and Another Day "I Dont Wanna Talk Bout It/ It's Too Much For me"

There's loads.

For example in Whatever Happens, "he's workin' day and night'

2Bad
Throwin' rocks to hide your hands

Bad
You're throwin' stones
To hide your hands

Only one word changed, but it is still same stones

If ad-libs count: "Takin over": Things I Do For You, Shake Your Body, Workin' Day and Night (and Justin Timberlake in "Take Back the Night" :p ).

If ad-libs count: "Takin over": Things I Do For You, Shake Your Body, Workin' Day and Night (and Justin Timberlake in "Take Back the Night" :p ).

That's great! What your refering to with Justin Timberlake is Lyrical Cross-referencing.

I know I've heard the adlib "doggone lover" in many, many songs.
I'd have to listen to a few albums today to make a specific list.

I know I've heard the adlib "doggone lover" in many, many songs.
I'd have to listen to a few albums today to make a specific list.

I think that phrase could the single most common phrase in MJ's back catalogue. He even appears to contort it by say dangonit in later songs.

All Night Dancin' ? The Way You Make Me Feel
"Ain't nobody's business but mine"

In 'The Way You Make Me Feel' he uses the words 'walk' and 'talk' in the first verse, very similarly to 'You Rock My World' -

'The Way You Make Me Feel'
'I Like The Groove Of
Your Walk,
Your Talk, Your Dress'

'You Rock My World'
'My life will never be the same
'Cause girl, you came and changed
The way I walk
The way I talk'

Back