Madonna Producer: “She Has Succeeded Where Michael Jackson Failed”

Madonna will never be forgotten, she is the next big thing after MJ(in terms of popularity, of course, not talking about music). I don't appreciate her music so much, but it's unquestionable the fact that she is a HUGE artist.

Every artist will stay as relevant as the mainstream pop machine wants them to... That does not make an artist!

I'm a fan of Madonna's music...her 80's and 90's music that is. Her recent music from today fails to impress me. It honestly sounds like all of the other garbage out here and I avoid it at all costs. That is the only way she was able to stay relevant in this era. If we were to go by what this guy is saying, then that would mean that every artist of this era, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Usher, Drake, Katy Perry, etc, etc, is "succeeding where Michael Jackson failed," but this just cannot be possible. Just because these artists can appeal to this generation does not mean their music is "good" or timeless...or classic.
However, no disrespect to Madonna. Like I said, I am a big fan of her older music. I thoroughly enjoy me some Madonna quite often. She's great but her current music just does not do it for me.

If Michael wasn't relevant, then how the hell did he manage to still sell out concerts in 2009, have one of (probably the most) the most successful albums of the 2000's (not sure what the correct number was, but selling 10-14 million copies in this era is amazing...speaking of Invincible), and STILL continue to have the best selling album of all time (amongst his other albums, Bad, Dangerous, etc. STILL being best sellers). He didn't have to change his style in music to fit the criteria of this era. Michael Jackson simply just is. His music from every era is timeless and will appeal to all generations to come. I'm an 18 year old girl who was a teenage in the 2000 era with this crap music and Michael's music is more than appealing to me. It moves me, inspires me, lifts my spirit. I can't really say that about Madonna's older music and I definitely cannot and will not ever say that about her current music. Sure, she can make and sell the music to today's audiences but can she have such an impact like that on them? I don't really think so, but then again I speak for myself.

As far as controversy goes, I don't think Michael was searching for controversy. He was trying to convey a message more than anything.

Last edited:
[h=1]Madonna's 'MDNA' Fail: Singer's Album Sales Plummet[/h]
Madonna's MDNA may be the first album to both top the Billboard charts and be a massive commercial failure.The record debuted at No. 1 on the charts, prompting her longtime manager Guy Oseary to herald the singer's comeback as a great success. And though it was quite a triumphant return, it turned out to be a short-lived one buoyed by what some are calling a cheap trick.MDNA sales have fallen a record 88 percent week-over-week, from 379,000 copies to a mere 46,000, Forbes reports.So why the dramatic drop? In a somewhat savvy move, Madonna packaged the album with ticket sales on Ticketmaster. Though Lionel Richie's Tuskegee was outpacing her in projected sales, Madge was able to surpass his release by essentially giving her album away to anyone who bought a ticket to see her tour. These "sales" were then counted in Billboard's tally.The only problem? With her shows either sold out or nearly sold out, no one's going to be buying tickets any time soon.Page Six notes that Madge didn't invent the trick. Both Bon Jovi and Tom Petty used the loophole to finagle their way to the top of the charts.In his email newsletter, Bob Lefsetz slammed the singer and her team for failing to understand that Super Bowl shows don't translate to album sales, especially for "an ancient superstar dashing for cash."[FONT=Georgia, Century, Times, serif]"Oldsters just want to hear the hits, and youngsters ... just don't care," he wrote of her halftime show. As for her tour? "Charging a fortune and playing huge venues. It's like a going out of business sale. What do you do next?"[/FONT]Richie, on the other hand, sold 20,000 albums in just one hour by swallowing his pride and appearing on the Home

Shopping Network. That's almost half the number of albums Madonna moved all week.
In Oseary's defense, he claims that Madge has foregone traditional album promos, instead focusing on prepping what he's touting as an epic tour. "The focus is getting the show together so MDNA can come to life," he tweeted.
ixed Twitter reactions to MDNA:
"Still can't help feeling this is a little bit like granny dancing at Christmas" #Madonna maybe it's time to retire? http://t.co/FIcSJ7HP
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/10/madonnas-mdna-fail-album-sales_n_1416094.html

^ Not surprise...and I wonder what her producer would say now? Cause it was obvious he was trying to promote the hell out of this album by talkin trash! So what an EPIC fail for this producer. Maybe his ego will go down now! smh

Oh I do think Madonna will be remembered but, she is not as international as MJ is. Not even close!

Madonna will never be forgotten, she is the next big thing after MJ(in terms of popularity, of course, not talking about music). I don't appreciate her music so much, but it's unquestionable the fact that she is a HUGE artist.

She is the biggest female star in music history and she will always be that. But she can not be compared to The Beatles, Elvis and Michael. No one can. Those 3 will always be on top. No matter in what order. It's like Maradona & Pele in football.

Madonna being known as the biggest female artist really is not because of album success rate it is more so how each album was at least known as a contendar because of at least 1 song making it big from each album basically, you spread that out year after year that means something.. Every album aside from 1 has enterned top 10.. (excluding live albums)

On the other hand for most of the musical industry (until the dl revolution) the 20 million sale mark in 80's,90's, early 00's was a sign of a true success of an album..

only 2 of her 21 albums (excluding live and compilation) has sold more than 20 million.. that is 13% success rate

Even Britney Spears has a 28% ratio of making it over 20 million (excluding live and compilation)

Michael Jackson has an 83% rate

When you break it down it is all in ratio of what you as an individual thinks as success.. There are multiple different matrix, 1) sales 2) radio play 3) culture influence 4) constant longevity 5) pioneering ventures 6) marketing and PR

The list continues.. Now Madonna has gotton #2 over MJ as far as radio play through late 90's and 00's.. Forgetting everything Michael did before Madonna was out.. However why the two can never be compared is Michael is the only artist to ever master all 6 areas.

Not to mention bringing street danceing to the mainstream, experimenting with music in ways that revolutionized music forever. revolutionized marketing, branding and PR.. revolutionized the way dance styles are used and mixed. revolutionized music videos.

Michael is the only one that will ever effect the entertainment industry in that way.. He set the explosion in the industry..

I'm not sure if people will fully get this comparison of what I am going to say but Michael did something simular to the entertainment inustry as to what facebook and Apple (among some others) are doing to social media and how its being used.

Madonna being known as the biggest female artist really is not because of album success rate it is more so how each album was at least known as a contendar because of at least 1 song making it big from each album basically, you spread that out year after year that means something.. Every album aside from 1 has enterned top 10.. (excluding live albums)

On the other hand for most of the musical industry (until the dl revolution) the 20 million sale mark in 80's,90's, early 00's was a sign of a true success of an album..

only 2 of her 21 albums (excluding live and compilation) has sold more than 20 million.. that is 13% success rate

Even Britney Spears has a 28% ratio of making it over 20 million (excluding live and compilation)

Michael Jackson has an 83% rate

When you break it down it is all in ratio of what you as an individual thinks as success.. There are multiple different matrix, 1) sales 2) radio play 3) culture influence 4) constant longevity 5) pioneering ventures 6) marketing and PR

The list continues.. Now Madonna has gotton #2 over MJ as far as radio play through late 90's and 00's.. Forgetting everything Michael did before Madonna was out.. However why the two can never be compared is Michael is the only artist to ever master all 6 areas.

Not to mention bringing street danceing to the mainstream, experimenting with music in ways that revolutionized music forever. revolutionized marketing, branding and PR.. revolutionized the way dance styles are used and mixed. revolutionized music videos.

Michael is the only one that will ever effect the entertainment industry in that way.. He set the explosion in the industry..

I'm not sure if people will fully get this comparison of what I am going to say but Michael did something simular to the entertainment inustry as to what facebook and Apple (among some others) are doing to social media and how its being used.

Madonna has 12 studio albums. I don't know how you counted 21. Did you count EPs and Soundtracks? I think it's fair to count just studio albums.

she has sountracks aswell.. And yes I accidentally forgot to change my number excluding compilation.. so it should be 15 not 21.. sorry putting her percentage 13% still 15% less than Spears.

Using Britney in no way am I trying to glorify her as "better" than madonna. Madonna, no one take it wrong I was just using it as a measurment of sale ratio.. I used her because she was one of the last female pop artists that were around when albums were still selling upwards 20+ million albums. pre dl ara

Wait a Second Invincible of 2001 15 Million Albums sold worldwide, You Rock My World which charted in the top 10 in 15 countries across the world.So I think thiis producer is stupid. And should keep his comments to himself.

I'm a fan of Madonna and don't thin this comment is valid. Madonna kept making new music and releasing albums during the past decade while Michael released only Invincible in 2001. She kept selling millions of singles and albums and making huge world tours, while Michael had serious problems that don't even need to be remembered. Even so, Number Ones, King of Pop and Thriller 25th had good sales.
Both Madonna and Michael Jackson are respectively the true queen and king of pop. Anyone can say anything, but they still will be and nothing can change their incredible legacy to music and pop culture.
And I think that comparing Madonna to MJ is a very stupid thing, because they are very huge but very different. They have different histories and their careers also are very different. Michael is connected to the music industry since he was a little child; Madonna first came to fame only in her 20s. Both artists had and still have problems, failures and great achievements in their careers. The only thing I think we can't deny she succeeded better than MJ is the fact she could and still can deal very well with the highlights, polemics, press, etc. Look at the current situation: a lot of people says she's old, her album is selling well in the world but is falling in some charts, like US and UK... but she's not worried. If she is, the world can't know. She's just rehearsing for her upcoming world tour that already is one of the highest grossing concert tours of all time without having even started. Michael didn't deal with the press and things like that as well as Madonna does. And I'm not reducing Michael's career or achievements, I'm just telling you what I think.

I'm a fan of Madonna and don't thin this comment is valid. Madonna kept making new music and releasing albums during the past decade while Michael released only Invincible in 2001. She kept selling millions of singles and albums and making huge world tours, while Michael had serious problems that don't even need to be remembered. Even so, Number Ones, King of Pop and Thriller 25th had good sales.
Both Madonna and Michael Jackson are respectively the true queen and king of pop. Anyone can say anything, but they still will be and nothing can change their incredible legacy to music and pop culture.
And I think that comparing Madonna to MJ is a very stupid thing, because they are very huge but very different. They have different histories and their careers also are very different. Michael is connected to the music industry since he was a little child; Madonna first came to fame only in her 20s. Both artists had and still have problems, failures and great achievements in their careers. The only thing I think we can't deny she succeeded better than MJ is the fact she could and still can deal very well with the highlights, polemics, press, etc. Look at the current situation: a lot of people says she's old, her album is selling well in the world but is falling in some charts, like US and UK... but she's not worried. If she is, the world can't know. She's just rehearsing for her upcoming world tour that already is one of the highest grossing concert tours of all time without having even started. Michael didn't deal with the press and things like that as well as Madonna does. And I'm not reducing Michael's career or achievements, I'm just telling you what I think.

IMHO, it's not that Michael couldn't deal with the press. People tend to give Michael too little credit. Like you mentioned, Michael had been in showbiz since he's a child. He knew show business inside out. He knew how to play the game better than most people out there. He wouldn't be the most successful, most famous and most beloved entertainer in showbiz if he couldn't deal with the press. But, if every force out there is determined to pull him down from the stratosphere, even a mastermind would have problem in dealing with the constant pressure. We are talking about non-stop character asssssinations since the success of Thriller.

Moreover, Michael's songs are challenging in a way that they force people, especially the media, out of their comfort zones. While many of Michael's peers were still singing about subjects like romantice love, sex, Michael sang about social injustice, environment, jealousy and feeling of being isolated. Michael was an artist in his core. He's not afraid to push the envelope (not for the sake of shock value and promotion), but to challenge people to look around and face the real issues. Doing so, Michael was making many people in the press uncomfortable.

Nowadays, almost every young star in the entertainment industry is saying he/she is inspired by Michael Jackson. Despite all the downs in Michael's career, Michael's career is still being hailed as the ultimate benchmark. I tend to believe that Michael knew what he was doing all along. He knew attentions from the media were short-lived. No one would remember what Rolling Stone or whoever had to say ten years ago. But, he arts will always speak for him. His arts remain and that's what an artist strived for.

Madonna kept making new music and releasing albums during the past decade while Michael released only Invincible in 2001. She kept selling millions of singles and albums and making huge world tours, while Michael had serious problems that don't even need to be remembered.

Yeah but I'm sure if there would not be a sexual allegation than Michael will be released next album(remember rumors about Ressurection album wich was suspended because the sexual allegation are came...). But the media totally destroy his psyhics and im sure that if Michael wouldn't haved any problems,than he will releases next albums and beat Madonna on charts in the 20s. In 20's Michael released only compilations and re-released albums and they sold very well in milions copies :).

Sorry for my english

Hello, i haven't read the whole thread, so I don't know what has been said so far, but after seeing the title I couldn't help but complete Madonna's Producer's statement "She has succeeded where Michael Jackson failed"... and Michael Jackson succeeded where Madonna failed.

People remember better MJ's hits from the 70s, 80s, 90s, even 01's You Rock My world, than Madonna's post 80s songs despite the huge number of various albums she sold compared to MJ.

IMHO, it's not that Michael couldn't deal with the press. People tend to give Michael too little credit. Like you mentioned, Michael had been in showbiz since he's a child. He knew show business inside out. He knew how to play the game better than most people out there. He wouldn't be the most successful, most famous and most beloved entertainer in showbiz if he couldn't deal with the press. But, if every force out there is determined to pull him down from the stratosphere, even a mastermind would have problem in dealing with the constant pressure. We are talking about non-stop character asssssinations since the success of Thriller.

Moreover, Michael's songs are challenging in a way that they force people, especially the media, out of their comfort zones. While many of Michael's peers were still singing about subjects like romantice love, sex, Michael sang about social injustice, environment, jealousy and feeling of being isolated. Michael was an artist in his core. He's not afraid to push the envelope (not for the sake of shock value and promotion), but to challenge people to look around and face the real issues. Doing so, Michael was making many people in the press uncomfortable.

Nowadays, almost every young star in the entertainment industry is saying he/she is inspired by Michael Jackson. Despite all the downs in Michael's career, Michael's career is still being hailed as the ultimate benchmark. I tend to believe that Michael knew what he was doing all along. He knew attentions from the media were short-lived. No one would remember what Rolling Stone or whoever had to say ten years ago. But, he arts will always speak for him. His arts remain and that's what an artist strived for.

That's what I mean. Madonna didn't have/don't have as many problems with the press as Michael did/does because they had/have different careers and different lifes. That's why she "succeeded better" than MJ in this.
MJ has always been ahead of his time. Man in the Mirror, Heal The World and Earth Song are some of his songs we can use to prove this fact.

Yeah but I'm sure if there would not be a sexual allegation than Michael will be released next album(remember rumors about Ressurection album wich was suspended because the sexual allegation are came...). But the media totally destroy his psyhics and im sure that if Michael wouldn't haved any problems,than he will releases next albums and beat Madonna on charts in the 20s. In 20's Michael released only compilations and re-released albums and they sold very well in milions copies :).

Sorry for my english

YEAH!!! That's what I'm saying. Michael had problems we don't even want to remember, that's why he didn't sell as much in the 2000s as he did in the past decades.
Madonna has never been as huge as Michael in the charts, even in the 80s, so I wouldn't say he would beat her. He wouldn't beat anyone, he would just keep his normal sales for the present situation (he wouldn't sell 20 million copies easily because nobody has been doing this since the internet and virtual sharing became popular).

Thank you very much! Michael was a human being. Michael is the standard and if he was such failure then why do people bring him up or try to be like him or wish they could achieve the level of success he did? Michael was a lot smarter and stronger than people give him credit for. But he was a human being and had to deal with the witch hunt that even Madonna herself said Michael went through. I will never forget how he was treated.

Thank you very much! Michael was a human being. Michael is the standard and if he was such failure then why do people bring him up or try to be like him or wish they could achieve the level of success he did? Michael was a lot smarter and stronger than people give him credit for. But he was a human being and had to deal with the witch hunt that even Madonna herself said Michael went through. I will never forget how he was treated.

Totally agree with you! It's very important to say that Michael was a human being, because some fans tend to see him as someone totally perfect, while the press tend to see him as a freak (or make people believe he was one). Michael had his achievements and his failures, his strengths and weaknesses, as anyone has. He was just an human being, a very special one, but just an human being.

Back