Maze

DuranDuran

Proud Member
Where I was growing up in the southern US, you just couldn't escape Maze. I didn't really care for them much at the time, maybe it was overexposure, lol. But now I think a lot of their songs are nice.
[youtube]4F4jeDpuC7g&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]y74aY0-2pYM&fmt=18[/youtube]

I loooovveee Frankie Beverly. His voice is heavenly.

[youtube]D_2n_mXBqWg[/youtube]
[youtube]Hi8F8pWmmkA[/youtube]
[youtube]yBqHPZEl7C4[/youtube]
[youtube]kjGvsUwXnLY&feature=related[/youtube]

Pure awesomeness!

Love can be bitter
Love can be sweet
Sometimes devotion
Sometimes deceit

The ones that we care for
Can give us so much pain
Oh, but it's alright
They're both one and the same

Here is some genreal info about them from Wikipedia.

The band can more or less be considered as the project of former The Butlers, and later Raw Soul, member Frankie Beverly; being songwriter, record producer, arranger, singer, keyboardist and guitarist.
Philly-born Beverly started the group as Raw Soul in 1970. They merged R&B and funk fusion into their material and recorded a couple of singles on the small Gregar label but without any major hits or success. But with a few personnel changes, a major relocation from Philadelphia to the Bay Area (California) in 1971 and a milestone introduction to the legendary Marvin Gaye, the group became an immediate success overnight. Gaye also took the group on the road with him as one of his opening acts; helping to solidify their significance to the music world.

Marvin Gaye's role with the group also offered a new chapter in their career's formative years since he insisted that they changed their name from Raw Soul to Maze in 1976. The group also wrestled with other names like Karma and Charisma.

After Gaye was introduced to the group and later introducing them to Capitol Records' then-VP of black music Larkin Arnold, Maze signed a contract with Capitol Records in 1976, and released their debut album LP, Maze featuring Frankie Beverly, in 1977. From that album, the hit singles included "Happy Feelin's," "While I'm Alone," and "Lady of Magic"; ultimately giving them their first gold record and earning Maze an immediate and extremely devoted fan base. They also had success with the following albums Golden Time of Day (1978), Inspiration (1979) and Joy and Pain (1980).

Their most acclaimed recording is Live in New Orleans (three quarters of which was recorded at the Saenger Theatre, on November 14-15, 1980). The last half of the double-disc record set featured four then-new studio offerings. Three of those songs sailed up the R&B charts, including the funky-infectious "Running Away," another groove-laden track "Before I Let Go," and the smooth ballad "We Need Love To Live." This landmark recording helped prove to audiences that Maze was far beyond from being just a studio recording group, but were considered by most music critics to be quintessential icons live in concert. By that time, the band had a reputation as one of the best live acts in American soul music, also enjoying a following in the United Kingdom with considerable promotional support from British DJ Robbie Vincent. In 1989, they signed with Warner Bros. and released the hit album Silky Soul, plus Back to Basics in 1993, and released the live DVD recording at London's Hammersmith Odeon in 1994. The two albums cut with Warner Bros. have also gone gold.

The group hit it big in March 1985 with their LP Can't Stop The Love, featuring the group's first number one R&B smash hit "Back In Stride." Led by its funky electric keyboard struts and a pulsating rhythm, the song sat at number one for two consecutive weeks. The top 5 follow-up, "Too Many Games," is also featured.

After signing with Warner Bros, the group delivered yet another number one R&B hit with the lounge soul sounds of "Can't Get Over You." The song has become a staple in most Maze live concerts.

In October 2004 Twilight appeared in popular videogame Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, playing on Funk radio station Bounce FM.

Frankie Beverly’s voice mixed with Maze’s laid-back, bass driven musical arrangements differ a lot from other soul acts. Their signature sound is especially vivid on the LP classic Live in New Orleans (1981).

Maze continues to tour around the United States as well as Europe to this day. Every year they are the also the closing act for the Essence Music Festival.

Last edited:
I grew up off of Maze & Frankie Beverly..We Are One & Joy & Pain is my favorite songs by them!! Everytime Before I Let Go comes on the stereo, It make me wanna do the electric slide..lmao!

The Butlers

Frankie Beverly started out in the doo-wop group The Butlers
[youtube]-8XwDYyRh9Q&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]MgEp8ukEPOE&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]7d8xJNaBLdk&fmt=18[/youtube]

Raw Soul

[youtube]OlLKvw8LIBc&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]J7mi6hPp5y8&fmt=18[/youtube]

Back