"Michael", a biopic about Michael Jackson, is officially happening.

Michael Jackson biopic to spend a record $120 million in California under state tax credit program​

Michael Jackson onstage

Michael Jackson performs during the halftime show at the Super Bowl XXVII in Pasadena. A film about his life spent the most of any movie in the state of California and will garner a record tax credit.
(Rusty Kennedy / Associated Press)
BY ANOUSHA SAKOUISTAFF WRITER
MARCH 6, 2023 2 PM PT
A Lionsgate Entertainment film about the life of singer Michael Jackson is on track to break records for spending under California’s film tax credit program.
The movie known as “Michael” — directed by Antoine Fuqua and starring Jackson’s nephew Jaafar Jackson — is projected to spend $120 million on crew wages and vendors, according to the California Film Commission, which administers the state’s film and TV tax credit program.
California has allocated $21.1 million in tax credits to the Santa Monica-based studio for “Michael.” That exceeds other top spenders in the state tax credit program for features from previous years, including Walt Disney Co.‘s “Captain Marvel” ($119 million) Paramount’s “Bumblebee” ($102 million) and Netflix’s “The Gray Man” ($102 million).
Michael Jackson, known as the King of Pop, died at aged 50 in 2009. The pioneering singer’s later years were mired by allegations of sexual abuse of boys that became the subject of the documentary “Leaving Neverland.” Jackson and his estate have adamantly and repeatedly denied the allegations.

There have been other commercially successful retellings of the singer’s career recently. Such as the 2021 Broadway show “MJ the Musical.” The show received four Tony Awards, including the lead actor in a musical award for 22-year-old Myles Frost.
The California Film Commission said “Michael” is among 24 independent and studio film projects selected for the latest round of the state tax credits. Those features will generate an estimated $423 million in “qualified” spending and $662 million in overall spending across California, the group said.
The production will have a cast of 65 and 300 crew members, and is expected to film over 80 days in California, primarily in Santa Barbara.

“The program is an important tool for maintaining our competitiveness and curbing runaway production,” California Film Commission Executive Director Colleen Bell said in a statement. “We are working harder than ever to keep entertainment production here in California, where it belongs.”
The other biggest allocations in the latest round included a $13.8-million tax credit for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer’s “The Thomas Crown Affair”; and $11.3 million for an untitled Disney project.
In all, the California Film Commission received a total of 58 applications and has reserved $81.7 million in tax credits for the 24 conditionally approved projects.

The state allocates $330 million annually to keep productions from shooting elsewhere. Under the program, filmmakers can recoup 20% to 25% of spending on qualified costs, such as money spent building sets and hiring crews, and can then use the credits to offset state taxes.

California has been working to increase the attractiveness of its tax incentives. The state lost out on nearly $8 billion in economic activity as a result of so-called runaway production, according to an estimate last year from the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation (LAEDC) for the Motion Picture Assn., a trade body for the major studios whose members have benefited from the credits.

Last edited:
If this humongous budget is the key to the biopic’s critical and commercial success, I’m happy.

So if they're still filming in October/November this year, this biopic is still a long way off! Any news on Neverland at this point?
The article in 631 stated: "the production will have a cast of 65 and 300 crew members, and is expected to film over 80 days in California, primarily in Santa Barbara.", so I think this means filming on Neverland.

A few thoughts came to mind about filming locations:

1. Seeing the production: if we get a signal filming has started, are fans going to pop up in the noted locations to catch a glimpse of the production (e.g., film crew moving in and out)? Also, if any filming is done in public, I wonder if we'll get news pieces about it. Sometimes movies/tv shows or certain celebrities that garner enough interest have articles written about them being on set in a public place—like 'And Just Like That...' ('Sex and The City') and the upcoming 'Barbie' movie. Guess it depends on public interest and how secretive the project will be? If there's a respectful way to be a gawker I will most definitely be there!

2. Museum: if the filming is going to be done at Hayvenhurst, does that mean they'll have to renovate the place back to how it used to look? The property had a major remodel like ~13 years ago if I'm not mistaken? I wonder if they'll revert the property for the film which can then be used for a more true-to-life museum—similar to Graceland. Not sure of the extent of the remodel(s) over the years but I imagine certain rooms such as the kitchen have been modernized quite a bit, while other rooms like Michael's room remain untouched.

I've posted some of my MJ content on the forum, so hopefully people enjoy this video.

It's just my opinion, but these are the things I really hope end up in the movie:
[YouTube]
[YouTube]

What would it look like if they turned Jaafar's skin white in the film? Tbh, I'd be okay with that choice. Not any weirder than making someone green or blue or whatever.

What would it look like if they turned Jaafar's skin white in the film? Tbh, I'd be okay with that choice. Not any weirder than making someone green or blue or whatever.
All authenticity will be lost if Jaafar does not turn white from 1990 onwards.

It's a massive talking point about MJ, they would be crazy not to change his skin colour.

MJ was sometimes accused of not wanting to be black , so it will be a really good emotive part of the film watching him struggle with vitiligo etc.

All authenticity will be lost if Jaafar does not turn white from 1990 onwards.

It's a massive talking point about MJ, they would be crazy not to change his skin colour.

MJ was sometimes accused of not wanting to be black , so it will be a really good emotive part of the film watching him struggle with vitiligo etc.
Yeah, agreed, and that's a really big deal for representation. I mean it's not a person with vitiligo as far as we know. But it's a great way to demonstrate what the process of being diagnosed with and treating vitiligo is like. Plus the meat of MJ's life definitely starts to weigh more heavily 90s and beyond, imo.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/7741272/michael-jackson-crumbling-neverland-ranch-eerie-pics/

Fairground rides are starting to be put back into Neverland.

It looks like they will 100% be filming on location at Neverland. I personally think it's great to see it restored to it's former glory albeit only temporary.
No disrespect, and I'm not addressing you per say, but get that Sun tabloid crap outta here. That article made me sick. The info was useful though, I'm sorry.

No disrespect, and I'm not addressing you per say, but get that Sun tabloid crap outta here. That article made me sick. The info was useful though, I'm sorry.
I felt the same. Sitting here feeling sick to my stomach. Useful info if it's true but I wish it had come from another source. Although idiot me for even reading it. Next time I'll just close it down. I usually avoid the Sun like the plague. :(

https://www.the-sun.com/news/7741272/michael-jackson-crumbling-neverland-ranch-eerie-pics/

Fairground rides are starting to be put back into Neverland.

It looks like they will 100% be filming on location at Neverland. I personally think it's great to see it restored to it's former glory albeit only temporary.
Not having a go, BB87, just wanted to pick up on something. That Sun headline is typical tabloid, it described Neverland as 'crumbling' which is inaccurate. We already know that Ron Burkle has done quite a lot of work restoring parts of the grounds of the ranch and sorting out some of the rides. I'm fighting tabloid with tabloid here, lol, but one of the MJ Twitter accounts has just reminded me of the big piece that the Daily Mail ran in 2021 about the refurbishments that Ron had undertaken.

I do realise that tabloids are never gonna change the way they present stories so I'm wasting my time getting irritated about it. Plus, it does look as if some new stuff has been installed on the ranch although no way to know if that's been done for the biopic or if it's stuff that Ron Burkle would have done anyway. But the way the Sun story was written ... same old, same old.

Here's the DM 2021 link:

I'm starting to wish I never mentioned the god damn article now.

Considering the recent bio news about the huge funding for tax credit and filming due in Santa Barbara area, it's not a surprise to see attractions back at the ranch.

As a proud father of a newborn, I've got more important matters to attend to... Sorry folks I'm done. Enjoy the film once it's released

Considering the recent bio news about the huge funding for tax credit and filming due in Santa Barbara area, it's not a surprise to see attractions back at the ranch.

As a proud father of a newborn, I've got more important matters to attend to... Sorry folks I'm done. Enjoy the film once it's released
Congratulations on your newborn mate

I apologize. It's not your fault MJJcommunity won't let us just post freaking pictures.

If the film does not have at least 1 of those pandemonium scenes I will ask for a refund. I don’t care if they are relevant or not!
They make me all emotional, it doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with Michael himself but to see people being that vulnerable in public it does something to me. I mean from a young age we all get taught to be cool, polite and levelheaded at all times. Sometimes there is just no control over human emotions and it doesn’t get any more real or pure than the scenes in this video. It is fascinating, scary, sweet and mind blowing.

I was wondering is there currently a star that gets the same treatment in public?
There were crazy scenes with football star Lionel Messi after the world cup but that was in Argentina only and,it was not half as crazy as what Michael had to endure every single time but still.

Last edited:
If the film does not have at least 1 of those pandemonium scenes I will ask for a refund. I don’t care if they are relevant or not!
They make me all emotional, it doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with Michael himself but to see people being that vulnerable in public it does something to me. I mean from a young age we all get taught to be cool, polite and levelheaded at all times. Sometimes there is just no control over human emotions and it doesn’t get any more real or pure than the scenes in this video. It is fascinating, scary, sweet and mind blowing.

I was wondering is there currently a star that gets the same treatment in public?
There were crazy scenes with football star Lionel Messi after the world cup but that was in Argentina only and,it was not half as crazy as what Michael had to endure every single time but still.
I just watched the video and I like I cried and like I wanted Michael and like I cried even more and I could not control myself I just mis Michael

I was worried for a time that this film would not fare well but at this point I'm all in on this breaking all the records. It's Michael Jackson. This movie can easily be the second coming of Black Panther as far as African American Cultural Renaissance. Black people of all generations will go see it. People in other lands, Hispanic, Asian, German, anywhere he's been big in. Will today's generation of Caucasian Americans see it? I'm thinking it's a 60/40 maybe. It depends on who they're listening to. And how well the movie itself just looks. But it's really a make it or break it deal.

I was worried for a time that this film would not fare well but at this point I'm all in on this breaking all the records. It's Michael Jackson. This movie can easily be the second coming of Black Panther as far as African American Cultural Renaissance. Black people of all generations will go see it. People in other lands, Hispanic, Asian, German, anywhere he's been big in. Will today's generation of Caucasian Americans see it? I'm thinking it's a 60/40 maybe. It depends on who they're listening to. And how well the movie itself just looks. But it's really a make it or break it deal.
It is my burning desire that it will be a cultural juggernaut that will become the talk of of the town for weeks and weeks to come.
Please let it not be drab, it must pop like a bottle of champagne, a celebration of life and music.

Anyway any latest news on this? Is the script ready? Screenplay? How is casting coming along?

It is my burning desire that it will be a cultural juggernaut that will become the talk of of the town for weeks and weeks to come.
Please let it not be drab, it must pop like a bottle of champagne, a celebration of life and music.
What really convinced me was... The fact that most big name celebrities definitely are going to see and endorse it. Here in America that's big. Beyonce, Bruno, Rihanna, JT, Chris Tucker, Bieber, Billie Eilish, The Weeknd, Kanye... I can see any/all of them making a post endorsing it. That's big in the world of celebrity influence actually.

What really convinced me was... The fact that most big name celebrities definitely are going to see and endorse it. Here in America that's big. Beyonce, Bruno, Rihanna, JT, Chris Tucker, Bieber, Billie Eilish, The Weeknd, Kanye... I can see any/all of them making a post endorsing it. That's big in the world of celebrity influence actually.
Have these people said something about the biopic? Is Billie Eilish a fan? She doesn’’t strike me as someone who’d love his music (I know she did a one off performance of bad)
If the movie is good they will talk about it and it is best possible promotion

I don't think the general public is listening to what he's got to say now. As far as I know, Kanye's been cancelled. His wife left him, and the companies he was a spokesman for dropped him., & his Twitter/Instagram has been suspended.

Back