Michael in the Media - Thread for Miscellaneous Articles

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
I just stumbled over a film review for a documentary that came out in December, called “No Lye: An American Beauty Story”. The article itself doesn’t mention MJ, but they posted a short video clip from the movie which includes a snippet of the Pepsi Street commercial. Watch it here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jd9thxQ90r0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It also says:

&#8220;Although it is a documentary, it was actually entertaining, especially with the music and television clips and read along with quotes and snippets. (Anything showing The Jackson 5 and Good Times is okay with me.)&#8221;

So, there seems to be some MJ in there. Has anyone here seen it? :)

Read the full review here:

https://eurweb.com/2019/12/03/extra-extra-read-all-about-it-no-lye-an-american-beauty-story-gives-excellent-history-lesson/

myosotis

Proud Member
Spike Lee: 'Race relations today are a direct response to having a black president'
Prior to the release of Da 5 Bloods, the director takes questions from readers, film-makers and politicians about George Floyd, Covid-19 and the worst thing about actors

Jackson, Tyson, Jordan: which Michael has been the greatest influence on you?

I&#8217;ve worked with all three and all three I consider good friends. I&#8217;ve been blessed.

Did you ever have political conversations with Michael Jackson? Was he knowledgeable and engaged about such things beyond a surface level?

Oh, Michael knew what was going on! Look at that film we made in Brazil: They Don&#8217;t Care About Us. It was an anthem when he was alive; it&#8217;s even more of one now. We had some deep conversations. He was very aware. All you have to do is listen to the music and read the lyrics. As a grown man, he&#8217;s not talking about ABC. He&#8217;s saying whole different stuff.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...a-direct-response-to-having-a-black-president

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
myosotis;4293697 said:
Oh, Michael knew what was going on! Look at that film we made in Brazil: They Don’t Care About Us. It was an anthem when he was alive; it’s even more of one now. We had some deep conversations. He was very aware. All you have to do is listen to the music and read the lyrics. As a grown man, he’s not talking about ABC. He’s saying whole different stuff.

There’s more real MJ in this one paragraph than in all of the British media in recent years. Love Spike Lee. :cool:(y)

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
Iconic 'Ed Sullivan' performances of Jackson 5, Supremes, Marvin Gaye finally go online

We’ve got a reeeally big show headed to the internet.

A massive trove of digitally restored clips from “The Ed Sullivan Show” will arrive online during the next three years, reviving more than 10,000 long-buried performances and guest appearances from the iconic variety show.

The global streaming project launches today with seven clips on YouTube and other platforms — a Motown-dominated batch of videos that includes performances by Diana Ross & the Supremes, Marvin Gaye, the Jackson 5 and Temptations and Gladys Knight & the Pips.

They’re the tip of a cultural iceberg contained in the “Ed Sullivan Show” archives: The Sunday night program ran from 1948 through 1971 on CBS, piping the rock ‘ n’ roll revolution, Hollywood glitz and Detroit’s Motown sparkle into American living rooms alongside Broadway, opera, vaudeville, comedy and novelty acts.

Amid the blossoming rock era, the show served up its share of cultural milestones — Elvis Presley, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones — while providing a then-unprecedented prime-time launch pad to black performers, including the first nationwide glimpse of an 11-year-old Michael Jackson in 1969.

Ross and the Supremes were among the Sullivan show’s prolific guests during the ‘60s. From their December 1964 debut in black-and-white performing “Come See About Me” through their full-color bow five years later with “Someday We’ll Be Together,” the group appeared 17 times.

“If it wasn't the Supremes, it was Richard Pryor or Alan King, one of the old Borsch comics, or a scene from a Broadway show or Henry Fonda reading the Gettysburg Address,” said Vince Calandra, a longtime show staffer. “It was a smorgasbord, but it was America. It was simple, but it was big.”

Universal Music Enterprises acquired digital rights to the Sullivan catalog in a deal with SOFA Entertainment, which purchased the show’s library in 1990.

“‘The Ed Sullivan Show’ is iconic for essentially creating this format and for providing a forum some of the most influential voices and cultural moments of all time,” said UME President and CEO Bruce Resnikoff. “We believe there is an incredible opportunity to introduce this show and these unforgettable appearances to new audiences around the world.”

Two decades into the digital age, the Sullivan archives were among the most significant cultural caches to have sat sidelined from the web.

Videos from the iconic variety show have circulated on bootlegs for decades and in specially themed DVD packages released by SOFA. A handful of show material made its way online over the years — the Beatles’ historic 1964 performances are posted on the band’s official YouTube channel, for instance — and SOFA posted truncated tidbits online through the years.

But the company largely resisted the internet, quick to police its copyrights and yank unauthorized versions of show footage from the web. So the videos premiering today mark a breakthrough for a historic catalog of Americana.

“This is the end of the rainbow,” said Calandra. “People must see these clips. They have to. Not only will they enjoy them, but they’ll understand what it was like back then, especially for families.”

Calandra was in the thick of the Sullivan action. Having moved his way up from the CBS mailroom to handling cue cards on the set, he ultimately earned a role as a talent buyer. In Beatles’ lore, he’s best known for subbing in for George Harrison during rehearsals in February 1964 — donning a guitar and wig while the guitarist nursed a fever back in his New York City hotel room.

Sullivan was particularly affectionate of Motown and its roster of young Detroit talent, Calandra said. The bond came with a key personal link: The host was tight with Motown choreographer Cholly Atkins, an old friend from their days at New York’s Cotton Club.

“Motown could do no wrong on our show. I mean, they a well-oiled machine. They were like the New York Yankees,” said Calandra. “The choreography, the arrangements, the musicians, the costuming, was always first class all the way.”

The platform provided by Sullivan proved crucial to the label’s crossover success, and came at a critical time in the bigger civil-rights picture. Oprah Winfrey has famously pointed to the Supremes’ debut appearance in ‘64 as a life-changing moment — a realization for a 10-year-old black girl that big possibilities were within reach.

“I had never seen black women on television … or anywhere for that matter, who conveyed such glamour and such grace,” Winfrey said on air in 1993.

Ross and the Supremes impressed with their onstage versatility, including a starring role in a Sullivan tribute to Irving Berlin’s traditional pop classics. And as the ‘60s wound on, Sullivan was willing to grow with the times, embracing a touch of realistic grittiness.

Calandra recalled the Supremes’ September 1968 rehearsals for a performance of “Love Child,” the trio’s groundbreaking single about an out-of-wedlock birth in the inner city. As they worked through the number in their standard gowns and made-up hair, Motown chief Berry Gordy stepped in.

“This doesn’t look right,” Calandra recounted Gordy saying.

The plan was quickly revamped, and the group was outfitted in sweatshirts and jeans.

“So instead of having this unbelievable set with the crystals and the chandeliers, we came up with this simplified look of ‘Love Child,’” Calandra said. “And it was amazing.”

The "Love Child" performance will debut on YouTube Monday.

His lingering memory of the Jackson 5's debut in 1969 was a "cute and talented" 11-year-old kid cutting loose around the studio during rehearsals, continually having to be wrangled by show staffers. Much like the Beatles five years earlier, Calandra confessed, he didn't foresee the superstardom that lay ahead for Michael Jackson: “Who knew this was going to happen?”

"If could tell you that I thought the Beatles were going to be the Beatles, or Motown was going to be Motown, I'd really be lying to you," he said. "Because we really did not know, seriously."

But Calandra is certainly well aware now of the enduring, game-changing impact of the artists who made their way to "The Ed Sullivan Show" stage. And he hopes the thousands of videos set to make their way online can introduce the legacy to new fans.

"The show has been off the air for 50 years now. There's an audience of people that aren't not familiar with it, and they really should have a look," he said. "Families should really sit around and say, 'Hey, Hey, this is what it was like in the '50s and '60s when we would get together with the TV dinner and watch the Ed Sullivan Show at eight o'clock."

"The Ed Sullivan Show" initial release schedule:

June 12: Marvin Gaye, "Take This Heart Of Mine" (June 19, 1966)

June 12: The Supremes, "You Can't Hurry Love" (Sept. 25, 1966)

June 12: The Beach Boys, "Good Vibrations" (Oct. 13, 1968)

June 12: The Temptations, "I Can't Get Next To You" (Sept. 28, 1969)

June 12: Neil Diamond, "Sweet Caroline" (Nov. 30, 1969)

June 12: The Jackson 5, "Stand!" (Dec. 14, 1969)

June 12: Gladys Knight & The Pips, "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" (March 29, 1970)

June 13: Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, "Yesterday" (March 31, 1968)

June 14: Four Tops, "Reach Out I'll Be There" (Oct. 16, 1966)

June 14: The The Jackson 5, "I Want You Back" (Dec. 14, 1969)

June 15: Diana Ross & The Supremes, "Love Child" (Jan. 5, 1969)

June 16: The Temptations, (medley) "Girl (Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)," "All I Need," "My Girl," "(I Know) I'm Losing You" (May 28, 1967)

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/06/12/ed-sullivan-music-videos-premiere-online-motown-rock/3175269001/

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
Groups mark Michael Jackson Innocent Day on 15th anniversary of verdict in Santa Maria
Santa Maria Times, Kenny Cress, Jun 13, 2020

The 15-Year Anniversary Michael Jackson Innocent Day took place Saturday in front of the Santa Barbara County Superior Courthouse in Santa Maria on Cook Street.

It was 15 years to the day that inside that courthouse, late pop music icon Michael Jackson was acquitted of all charges in connection with accusations that he molested a 13-year old boy he had befriended as the youngster was recovering from cancer in 2003.

"We chose this location because Michael was acquitted in this courthouse 15 years ago today," said Valencia "Mother Diva" Dantzler of Thriller Dance 2300, who with Geraldine Hughes of Open Door Skid Row Ministries and other volunteers helped set up food and toiletries bags.

Anti-Defamation Legacy Law Advocates, or ADLAW, in association with Thriller Dance 2300 and Open Door Skid Row Ministries co-sponsored the event in front the same courthouse in which the nationally publicized trial took place.

Chicago-based Thriller Dance 2300 and Los Angeles-based Open Door Skid Row Ministries are nonprofit organizations.

"The purpose of this is to pass a &#8216;defamation of the deceased&#8217; law," said Dantzler, who said she is a &#8220;stage mom&#8221; to Jackson's daughter, Paris, and has worked with members of the Jackson family and Michael Jackson colleagues since 2010 on events pertaining to his legacy.

"To do that, you have to get the word out," Dantzler said.

&#8220;Defamation&#8221; is defined as an act or statement that damages one&#8217;s reputation. Under common law and according to that description, deceased individuals cannot be defamed because "the dead do not have reputations to damage," according to Minclaw.com, online reputation and brand name protection lawyers.

However, William H. Binder wrote for DePaul University of Art, Technology and Intellectual Property Law in 2016, "If one were to print that Elvis [Presley] was a pedophile on T-shirts and then sell them, or even place his name or likeness, absent any potential defamatory statements, on leaflets and distribute them, his estate in certain jurisdictions, would be able to sue on the grounds that such an action was an infringement on his property rights."

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
11 of the most iconic gigs at the National Bowl in Milton Keynes
Sunday, June 21st, 2020 9:53am

41 years ago, the National Bowl in Milton Keynes was born - and since then it has seen world-renowned artists coming to play in the heart of our city.

[&#8230;]

1988: Michael Jackson

60,000 people descended upon Milton Keynes for Michael Jackson's legendary Bad World Tour in 1988. It was his first solo concert tour and spanned a massive 16 months across the world with 123 dates.

He kicked off the gig with an incredible performance of Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' and ended with an encore including The Way You Make Me Feel and Man In The Mirror.

[&#8230;]

Full article: https://www.mkfm.com/news/local-news/11-of-the-most-iconic-gigs-which-have-happened-at-the-national-bowl-in-milton-keynes/

NatureCriminal7896

Proud Member
Michael Jackson was 50 years old when he was found dead on June 25, 2009, after going into cardiac arrest in his L.A. mansion

Taj Jackson is mourning the loss of his uncle, the late Michael Jackson.

On Thursday, which marked the 11th anniversary of the singer's death, a number of family members came together to commemorate him. "11 years ago today the world lost the greatest entertainer of all time," Taj, who is the son of Jackson’s brother Tito, wrote on Twitter.

"Although his talent was a gift from God, him sharing it was a gift to us. The world is [a] darker place without Michael Jackson in it. His love and light is truly missed by us all," he continued.

Tito also shared a tribute to his late brother, posting a throwback image of the singer on Instagram. "Always in our hearts," he wrote.

"To the greatest soul and entertainer in the world! &#8236; &#8234;You will always be in our hearts! &#8236; &#8234;May you continue to rest in peace!&#8236;" added sister LaToya Jackson in a separate tribute.

Jackson was 50 years old when he was found dead on June 25, 2009, after going into cardiac arrest in his L.A. mansion.

He is also survived by his three children: Prince Michael, 23, Paris, 22, and Bigi, 18.

Last year, HBO released their documentary Leaving Neverland, which chronicles the longtime allegations of child sexual abuse against Jackson. The exposé centers around claims from James Safechuck and Wade Robson. Both claim Jackson befriended them when they were children and their relationships quickly turned sexual.

Jackson repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and in 2005 was acquitted in a child sex abuse case against him in California. His estate also previously sued HBO and slammed the documentary, calling it “another rehash of dated and discredited allegations.”
In spite of the controversy surrounding the film, Leaving Neverland won for outstanding documentary or nonfiction special at the 2019 Creative Arts Emmys.

https://people.com/music/latoya-jackson-taj-jackson-pay-tribute-michael-jackson-death-anniversary/

NatureCriminal7896

Proud Member
Indian Express released rare pictures of Michael Jackson to commemorate the 11th year of his passing.

The pictures were taken during Michael’s visit in the country in November 1996 for the HIStory World Tour.

The news agent recalled that everyone wanted to meet the King of Pop, from politicians, Bollywood actors and singers.

Pictures with SP Hinduja (billionaire businessman), Gauri Khan (film producer), Shiv Sena (politician), Anupam Kher (actor) and Prabhudheva (dancer and choreographer) shows how demanding was the trip.

The paper recall that Michael’s only demand was a free-standing, full length mirror which he signed just before departure with a pillow slip from his room.

https://indianexpress.com/photos/en...kson-visited-india-death-anniversary-6475554/

CherubimII

Proud Member
Thanks for sharing. :cool:
NatureCriminal7896;4295757 said:
Indian Express released rare pictures of Michael Jackson to commemorate the 11th year of his passing.

The pictures were taken during Michael’s visit in the country in November 1996 for the HIStory World Tour.

The news agent recalled that everyone wanted to meet the King of Pop, from politicians, Bollywood actors and singers.

Pictures with SP Hinduja (billionaire businessman), Gauri Khan (film producer), Shiv Sena (politician), Anupam Kher (actor) and Prabhudheva (dancer and choreographer) shows how demanding was the trip.

The paper recall that Michael’s only demand was a free-standing, full length mirror which he signed just before departure with a pillow slip from his room.

https://indianexpress.com/photos/en...kson-visited-india-death-anniversary-6475554/

michaelwhatsapp-image-2019-08-29-at-09.25.46.jpeg

supermodelsonya

Proud Member
I wrote a four part series. I saw that someone else put my article up in another thread but I couldn't respond to it. I'm new here and I'm a longtime Jackson fan since I saw him in 1984. He was dating my neighbor who lived next door. It was amazing. That was my first introduction to MJ but living in a religious household, his music wasn't known to me until my father passed away in 1988. Only then could I learn more about who he was, since my mother was more secular.

https://medium.com/@supermodelsonya/michael-jackson-and-lessons-on-race-69690f92e77

This is the Fourth one, here are the rest.....

https://medium.com/@supermodelsonya/cracks-in-the-dam-a5c1271808e5

https://medium.com/@supermodelsonya/a-steep-price-31218662ac40

https://medium.com/@supermodelsonya/the-trauma-of-loving-michael-jackson-ff93819a2e2e

I hope this is okay to put this here. I invite everyone to take a read. I know that you guys know all about this stuff, but it doesn't hurt to pass on info, especially if you're bored one day and are looking for a great read. Thank you and I really love it here.

NatureCriminal7896

Proud Member
I wrote a four part series. I saw that someone else put my article up in another thread but I couldn't respond to it. I'm new here and I'm a longtime Jackson fan since I saw him in 1984. He was dating my neighbor who lived next door. It was amazing. That was my first introduction to MJ but living in a religious household, his music wasn't known to me until my father passed away in 1988. Only then could I learn more about who he was, since my mother was more secular.

https://medium.com/@supermodelsonya/michael-jackson-and-lessons-on-race-69690f92e77

https://medium.com/@supermodelsonya/the-trauma-of-loving-michael-jackson-ff93819a2e2e

I hope this is okay to put this here. I invite everyone to take a read. I know that you guys know all about this stuff, but it doesn't hurt to pass on info, especially if you're bored one day and are looking for a great read. Thank you and I really love it here.

Welcome to the forum. uh, Michael was dating someone in 1984? i come from a christian family and we knew who Michael was. Michael was a JW. :scratch:

somewhereinthedark

Proud Member

I read Part 4 and it is GREAT. I advise everyone to read it. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SUCH A GREAT ARTICLE!! I am now getting ready to read Parts 1,2 and 3.

somewhereinthedark

Proud Member
Supermodelsonya, WOW! Just read Part 1 and it took my breath away. I will try not to make another post until i read Parts 2&3. Btw, is Taj Jackson aware of this series of articles? These need to be shared EVERYWHERE.

somewhereinthedark

Proud Member
somewhereinthedark;4296220 said:
Supermodelsonya, WOW! Just read Part 1 and it took my breath away. I will try not to make another post until i read Parts 2&3. Btw, is Taj Jackson aware of this series of articles? These need to be shared EVERYWHERE.

I just completed ALL parts(1-4) of your series and was very pleased at how informative they were. Yes, I knew most of these things; however, your presentation, including the use of anecdotal material, helped to keep the articles from becoming redundant.

Maybe, I missed something; but, I am wondering why these series of articles have not been posted in fan forums, Twitter or discussed before. Of course, the media is going to ignore this because they WANT Michael to be guilty. As Taj has stated, every extra bit of information pointing to Michael&#8217;s innocence should be shared, disseminated and trumpeted. If fans don&#8217;t do it, who will? Hopefully Taj knows about this and can help spread the word.

GREAT JOB!!!! Clap! Clap! Clap!

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
Not an article, but a general observation. I&#8217;m currently browsing some scans of late 80&#8217;s, early 90&#8217;s teen magazines, and it&#8217;s really wild to see that segregation was still very much a thing in the USA at the time. In stark contrast to European magazines, US publications like Teen Beat, 16, Tiger Beat etc. have literally zero representation of Black people. You wouldn&#8217;t even be able to tell that Black people exist in the USA, flipping through those pages. Wow. It was really an uphill battle for MJ.

NatureCriminal7896

Proud Member
I live in US. yes it was still kind of an issue. but not at exactly. there was shows etc with black people. back in the day and still today we have our own magazines. it's nothing exactly racist about it. just have own magazines for us.

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
NatureCriminal7896;4297350 said:
I live in US. yes it was still kind of an issue. but not at exactly. there was shows etc with black people. back in the day and still today we have our own magazines. it's nothing exactly racist about it. just have own magazines for us.

I think it is a big problem when white kids only see other white kids in the magazines they buy. That&#8217;s what creates the divide between &#8220;us&#8221; and &#8220;them&#8221;, and it also has a huge influence on the beauty ideals that the kids develop. I must say, I was shocked that this still was a thing over there in the late 80&#8217;s, early 90&#8217;s. I had no idea that it was this bad.

In contrast, when I flip through a Bravo or Pop Rocky magazine (both from Germany) from the same era, I see artists like Terence Trent d&#8217;Arby, Ziggy Marley, Seal, Whitney Houston etc. alongside MJ. It&#8217;s like a parallel universe, really.

NatureCriminal7896

Proud Member
ScreenOrigami;4297353 said:
I think it is a big problem when white kids only see other white kids in the magazines they buy. That&#8217;s what creates the divide between &#8220;us&#8221; and &#8220;them&#8221;, and it also has a huge influence on the beauty ideals that the kids develop. I must say, I was shocked that this still was a thing over there in the late 80&#8217;s, early 90&#8217;s. I had no idea that it was this bad.

In contrast, when I flip through a Bravo or Pop Rocky magazine (both from Germany) from the same era, I see artists like Terence Trent d&#8217;Arby, Ziggy Marley, Seal, Whitney Houston etc. alongside MJ. It&#8217;s like a parallel universe, really.

yeah. you had to buy magazines like Jet and Ebony in order to really get news about Michael, Whitney, Prince, etc. that still a problem today but it's somewhat better.

Last edited:

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
British metal magazine “Kerrang!” posted an interview with Slash, and of course he was asked – again – what it was like to work with MJ. Relevant snippet below. It doesn’t offer any new insights for us, but please do click through to support this kind of journalism. It’s also an interesting interview if you want to learn more about Slash. :)

Slash: “Guns N’ Roses Were A Gang That Walked Into A Room Like, ‘You Don’t Want To F*ck With Us’”
Guns N’ Roses legend Slash revisits the early days, Donington, Michael Jackson and the power of rock’n’roll
Words: Matt Allen

[…]

How did you end up working with Michael Jackson on the Dangerous album in 1991?

“Initially, it was a phone call from my manager where he said, ‘Michael is trying to get in touch with you,’ and I was like, ‘Wow.’ So I called him back and he wanted me to play on Dangerous. We made a date and I went down to the Record Plant in Hollywood and he was there with [actor] Brooke Shields. That was very surreal. These were two people that I’d sort of grown up with, in a way. So we hung out for two minutes and they went off to dinner and left me with this song. I did my thing, he really dug it and afterwards he kept asking me if I’d be into doing this, or doing that. I’d do some shows here and there and it was fun because he was such a pro, and he was such a ****ing talent from on high. That was the main thing: he was so amazingly musically fluid. Such a treat to be around.”

What was it like to hang out with him?

“Onstage, his whole professional thing was really where he clicked. When he wasn’t working, or in production or whatever, it was then you could see that he was sort of at the mercy of his own success. All the people he had around him, the tugging, and the yes people, you could tell that he knew 90 per cent of them were full of shit. I felt sorry for him in that sense. I did a couple of shows with Michael in Tokyo and saw how this whole massive ****ing thing worked, and he was the centre of it. The only time I really felt like he was in any kind of comfort zone was when he was actually onstage. Right after that, Guns came to town and did our shows and our success was massive, but it wasn’t as overwhelming as what Michael was going through. It was just an interesting light, looking at the two things and being careful about what you wished for.”

[…]

https://www.kerrang.com/features/slash-guns-n-roses-were-a-gang-that-walked-into-a-room-like-you-dont-want-to-f-ck-with-us/

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
German magazine &#8220;Stern&#8221; recalls MJ&#8217;s 1995 Wetten Dass performance. It has a somewhat ironic tone to it, but it&#8217;s overall positive and doesn&#8217;t mention any allegations. :)

(rough translation by Google Translate)

===

Moments of TV history

"I love you all" &#8211; and departure
Michael Jackson on "Wetten, dass ..?"

03.08.2020, 10:35 a.m.

Michael Jackson on "Wetten, dass ..?": In 1995 the late superstar made a spectacular appearance on Thomas Gottschalk's program. The stage show is still unforgettable, the subsequent interview is a farce.

"Few of them are interested in me tonight." With these words Thomas Gottschalk appeared in front of the cameras on November 4th, 1995 in the Rhein-Ruhr-Halle in Duisburg. He had prominent guests for the 97th edition of "Wetten, dass ..?" Invited: Hiltrud and Gerhard Schröder, then Prime Minister of Lower Saxony, cabaret artist Rüdiger Hofmann, Austrian presenter Arabella Kiesbauer and musical author Andrew Lloyd Webber took a seat on the sofa. But they were all just accessories for what was to come: the appearance of a superstar.

Michael Jackson presented the world premiere of his "Earth Song" in Duisburg. The performance lasted 7 minutes and 40 seconds and is still unforgettable today. The staging was like that of an alien. A globe floated into the picture using computer animation, and then Jackson could be seen. With the green screen effect, it initially seemed as if he was not in the hall at all. Only after a minute did the person actually appear on the stage. Screech.

Michael Jackson's appearance cost one million Deutschmarks

Jackson ripped open his shirt and jumped onto a pallet truck that lifted him high into the hall. Wind machines and fog made the King of Pop seem to hover over a kind of jet engine. That his singing probably came off the assembly line with the whole roar - it doesn't matter. The brimborium cost a million deutschmarks. Jackson showed the Germans what really big pop looks like on TV.

The mandatory interview with Gottschalk was all the more poor after that. The showmaster actually wanted to get his superstar on the couch, but the management had thankfully turned it down in advance. Instead, they agreed on a skirmish on the edge of the stage. And this is how it went:

Michael Jackson: "I love you all."

Fans: (screech)

Jackson: "I love you all very much."

Fans: (increased screeching)

Thomas Gottschalk: "Do you like Germany?"

Jackson: "I love it."

And finish.

Almost 18 million television viewers saw the spectacle and gave "Wetten, dass ..?" one of the highest ratings in the history of the show. Shortly thereafter, the song was number one on our charts and stayed there for five weeks. To date, the "Earth Song" is the most successful Michael Jackson single in Germany. Even the later Chancellor Schröder was thrilled: "Now I can understand the enthusiasm for Jackson. He has something heart-warming."

===

They chose a nice photo and included a YouTube video of the performance.

https://www.stern.de/kultur/tv/michael-jackson-bei-wetten--dass-------i-love-you-all--und-abgang-9356394.html

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
The Daily Express (UK) has a new entertainment writer since June who keeps churning out positive MJ articles. I don&#8217;t feel like linking to a tabloid, but I think it&#8217;s an interesting development. So if you feel like checking them out, they&#8217;re easy to find. The author is Callum Crumlish, 27 or something years young. His latest article even discusses MJ&#8217;s Neverland in a very positive light.

Of course, the articles are plastered with ads, since it&#8217;s all about the money, but it looks like we have an ally in one of the major tabloids.

===

Michael Jackson gave back to his community because of his MOTHER - here's why

MICHAEL JACKSON spent a lot of his time giving back to the community. Namely, he gave access to his incredible backyard fantasy land Neverland to a number of sick children, as well as those who could secure some time in his wonderland. Now, perhaps the reason why he gave access to his property has been revealed in an unearthed video with Geraldo Rivera.

By Callum Crumlish
PUBLISHED: 01:31, Wed, Aug 12, 2020

Michael Jackson is known to some people as an eccentric. While the Beat It hitmaker was certainly one of the most prolific and successful pop stars of all time, his personal life often made headlines as well. In particular, Jackson confused some people when it was revealed he has built a place called Neverland.

The Neverland ranch was a place for Jackson to enjoy the delights of being a child in his own back yard.

This expansive piece of his property included a ferris wheel, a number of rides, a zoo, and cinemas.

During his time owning this piece of land, Jackson allowed a number of children in to play, and generally have a great time.

During an interview in 2005 with Geraldo Rivera, Jackson touched upon why he ventured out to do this.

Geraldo first pointed out: "You still have a profound and passionate relationship with the community."

To which Jackson simply replied: "It's important to love your neighbours.

"I truly think it comes from my mother, and God. The way we were raised, the values my father instilled in us in our youth.

"She [his mother] was always there with the bible teaching us. We'd go to service all the time.

[&#8230;]

===

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...children-album-news-interview-neverland-ranch

Last edited by a moderator:

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
Michael Jackson&#8217;s Favorite Song Ever Was Co-Written by a Major Movie Star

Matthew Trzcinski
August 11, 2020

Michael Jackson&#8217;s favorite song didn&#8217;t sound much like the hits from his catalogue. Oddly enough, the tune was co-written by a major movie star. Interestingly, the track has become prominent again because of a recent DC Comics movie.

michael-jackson-smiling-1024x777.jpg

Michael Jackson | Chris Walter/WireImage

The silent movie star Michael Jackson would dress up as

Jackson&#8217;s favorite song wasn&#8217;t by a fellow R&B singer but it was by a fellow major celebrity: Charlie Chaplin. While Chaplin is primarily remembered for his film roles, he has a musical legacy. According to American Songwriter, Chaplin helped craft the score to his movie Modern Times. Songwriters John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons later adapted part of that score into the song &#8220;Smile.&#8221;

According to the book Man in the Music, Jackson was a big fan of Chaplin. He watched his movies, listened to his music, and read about him. Beginning in the 1970s, he dressed up as Chaplin for numerous photo shoots.

What it was like for the New York Philharmonic to help create Michael Jackson&#8217;s &#8216;Smile&#8217;

While crafting his album HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I, Jackson reached out to producer David Foster. Foster had previously worked on Jackson&#8217;s Off the Wall as well as songs by Peter Cetera, Whitney Houston, and Celine Dion. Jackson long considered covering &#8220;Smile&#8221; &#8212; which MTV News reports was his favorite song &#8212; and Foster finally convinced him to do so.

Jackson recorded his cover with the backing of the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. According to the book In the Studio with Michael Jackson, multiple bassists, cellists, harpists, and violinists played on the track. Predictably, this gives Jackson&#8217;s take on the song a more lush feeling than Cole&#8217;s. In addition, the vocals on Jackson&#8217;s version of &#8220;Smile&#8221; are more melancholy than the vocals on Cole&#8217;s version.

Jackson decided to meet with the members of the orchestra after they completed &#8220;Smile.&#8221; When he went to meet them, every member of the orchestra gave Jackson a standing ovation. Jackson was thrilled by the experience. &#8220;Smile&#8221; might not be one of Jackson&#8217;s big hits, but members of the New York Philharmonic seem to have enjoyed working with Jackson.

How &#8216;Smile&#8217; reemerged in popular culture

For a song from the 1930s, &#8220;Smile&#8221; has a fairly prominent place in pop culture. It lives on through Jackson&#8217;s cover as well as its use in films. &#8220;Smile&#8221; popped up in the biopic Chaplin, the Julia Roberts movie Mona Lisa Smile, and the trailer for Joker, which prominently used Jimmy Durante&#8217;s cover of the song.

Perhaps the most poignant use of &#8220;Smile&#8221; was in Jackson&#8217;s funeral service. MTV News reports Jackson&#8217;s brother Jermaine covered &#8220;Smile&#8221; as a tribute to his late brother at the service. During her eulogy of Jackson, Brooke Shields referred to &#8220;Smile.&#8221;

&#8220;There is a line [in the song] that says, &#8216;Smile when your heart is aching,&#8217; &#8221; Shields said. &#8220;And though our hearts are aching, we need to look up, where [Michael] is undoubtedly perched in a crescent moon, and we need to smile.&#8221;

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/michael-jacksons-favorite-song-ever-was-co-written-by-a-major-movie-star.html

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
I see that Anna has added the link to the Express to my previous post, so I take that as a sign that it’s ok to post and link positive tabloid articles. The new Express writer currently seems to churn out one or two per day, many of the articles are inspired by MJ’s 2005 Geraldo interview. Here’s another one:

Michael Jackson opens up on REAL reason he welcomed children into Neverland
Callum Crumlish
PUBLISHED: 04:01, Thu, Aug 13, 2020

Michael Jackson fans have long looked up images and stories about his fabled Neverland. Neverland was the King of Pop's iconic home which was acres long, and had a number of theme park rides and a zoo.

Over the years Jackson opened up his Neverland ranch gates to allow a number of children in.

The kids were given almost free reign of the park, and were allowed to enjoy all of the delights of the theme park.

While fans will never truly get to experience why he did this first hand, an interview from 2005 has now offered insight into why he did it in the first place.

Speaking to Geraldo Rivera in 2005, Jackson was asked about what inspires him to show these kids his lifestyle.

Michael Jackson explained he liked to keep the kids happy who haven't been as fortunate

On why he would give his possessions away and allow people into his home, Jackson smiled.

He said: "When I was little stars like Sammy Davis, Fred Estair, Gene Kelly - if I admired something they were wearing and I said 'Wow, I love that shirt you're wearing,' they would give it to me."

"So I was taught that," he added. "That was part of a show business trait. I would hand it over."

Speaking specifically about Neverland, Jackson went on: "I think I've travelled the world over eight times.

Michael Jackson interview neverland

Michael Jackson also spoke about his relationship with his mother

"And I do as many hospitals and orphanages as possible - but I don't do it for coverage.

"I do it for my heart. There are many children in the cities who have never seen mountains, who haven't been on a carousel, who haven't petted a horse or a llama.

"So if I can open my gates and there's that bliss - an explosion of screaming, laughter, and they run past me to the rides, I say 'thank you God'.

"I feel I've won God's smile of approval. Because I'm doing something that's bringing joy and happiness to other people."

Later in the interview Jackson also touched upon how his upbringing from his mother helped this giving nature of his.

"It's important to love your neighbours," Jackson mused.

"I truly think it comes from my mother, and God. The way we were raised, the values my father instilled in us in our youth.

"She [his mother] was always there with the bible teaching us. We'd go to service all the time."

He went on to speak about his routines as a child, adding: "Like four times a week - and I'm so glad we did that, because those values are very important."

Jackson nostalgically added: "I don't know if I could have done as well without them."

The touching interview also saw the King of Pop explaining why he would never put up gold records in his house.

Despite having a huge amount of hits, Jackson explained how he didn't ever want to feel "done" with his work.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/1321998/michael-jackson-neverland-ranch-children-interview-geraldo-news-info-song-album

NatureCriminal7896

Proud Member
ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST, Queen's hit by bassist John Deacon, celebrates its 40th anniversary this week, but did you know that Michael Jackson has been credited with influencing the song?

It’s one of Queen’s greatest hits and this week Another One Bites The Dust celebrates its 40th anniversary. The 1980 track features on the band’s eighth studio album The Game and was written by bassist John Deacon. And now Queen’s official Instagram account has paid tribute to the hit song, one that Freddie Mercury and the band have said that Michael Jackson is owed credit for.

The band shared Another One Bites The Dust’s single cover, which features Queen performing.

Freddie Mercury is seen jumping high in the air while wearing a Flash T-shirt, the movie the band wrote the soundtrack for.

The account wrote: “40 Years of Another One Bites the Dust!

“Possibly the best-known Bassline of all time?”

Another One Bites The Dust charted at No 1 on the US Billboard Hot 100 for three weeks.

While also being Queen’s best-selling single with sales of over 7 million.

Back in 1996, Deacon said of the track: “I listened to a lot of soul music when I was in school, and I've always been interested in that sort of music.

“I’d been wanting to do a track like Another One Bites the Dust for a while, but originally all I had was the line and the bass riff.”

Deacon continued: “Gradually, I filled it in and the band added ideas.

“I could hear it as a song for dancing but had no idea it would become as big as it did.

“The song got picked up off our album and some of the black radio stations in the US started playing it, which we've never had before.

“Michael Jackson actually suggested we release it as a single. He was a fan of ours and used to come to our shows.”

While Freddie Mercury once said of Another One Bites The Dust: “Credit for the song should go to Michael Jackson in many ways.

“He was a fan and friend of ours and kept telling me, ‘Freddie, you need a song the cats can dance to.’

“John introduced this riff to us during rehearsal that we all immediately thought of disco, which was very popular at the time.

“We worked it out and once it was ready, played it for Michael.”

Freddie added: “I knew we had a hit as he bobbed his head up and down.”

Jackson said: “That's it, that's the gravy.

“Release it and it will top the charts.”

The Queen singer added: “So we did and it did.”

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...ary-Michael-Jackson-Queen-bassist-John-Deacon