Michael Jackson = Greatest Entertainer?

JM77

Proud Member
Was MJ the greatest entertainer ever?
If someone asked me I would say YES. Big justifying example of this? > MOTOWN 25. Now, answering to who was the greatest artist is a sticky topic, but best entertainer is easy for me to answer.
I think this because I have not come across anyone else who has captivated me or has had such an effect on people during performing. I base MJ being the best purely on entertainment and not music as a whole or anything else. Aside from being the King of Pop, I think Michael was and will always be the world's greatest entertainer. Similar to what Sheryl Crow said, about how you can see someone perform live and be 'wowed' by their technique but when Michael performed the 'molecules changed'. There was definitely something about Michael's presence that was so electrifying on and off stage. The way he moved and glided across the stage whilst having the audience in the palm of his hand, his voice and vocals were breathtaking as well. He said himself that he wanted to give his fans the 'best show we can possibly give them'. And to me, he did. Though, this has made me always compare other artists' performances to Michael's as I can't think of anyone who performed better than him. In fact, others' technique will always be inferior, I guess, to MJ's.
Aside, I looked at this article about the 100 greatest artists and saw that Michael was at No. 35. To me, this is not right at all and I think he should be at least in the Top 10 based on artistry. But this made me feel better: 'Michael Jackson was the world's greatest entertainer' - Antonio "L.A." Reid, on the summary.
Also, do you think he will always be the greatest entertainer if he is already (which he is to me)? I think someone would have to really work hard to surpass Michael as a performer but I seriously doubt they ever would.

Link: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-19691231/madonna-20110420

What do you think?

michael-jackson-moonwalk-gif.gif

I think is a subjective question, a lot of people are entertained by Michael and maybe some aren't. I think he is the greatest entertainer ever, I really can't imagine anybody else, maybe others can.

MJ has simply never been a favourite of Rolling Stone journalists, to say the least. They do not seem to get him, never did, but it is their loss. The subjective opinion of a handful of journalists at RS does not affect how MJ is really perceived by people on a cultural-historical perspective. He is someone who does not need the RS to tell people that he is great. People know it all by themeselves. So I would not worry about whatever that magazine writes.

To me Motown 25 is not his greatest performance, to be honest. I enjoy Billie Jean in concert more where he sings it live. And he has greater dance routines too. Both of Billie Jean and of other songs. Of course, it was culturally significant because of the impact. But it is far from his best IMO.

Also this is an MJ board so to most of us he is the greatest of course. To me as well, but if you go to some other board where people enjoy something completely different - say heavy metal or rap - to them someone else might be a lot more entertaining. These "greatest this", "greatest that" titles are very subjective and I don't think we need to be stressed over such "titles". Just enjoy the music and be entertained by whatever enetertains you. Labels, titles are just that.

Last edited:
I agree with you respect that it is subjective. I guess it is a matter of taste, but when I think entertainers-I think of people that appeal to just about everybody.

When I was a teenager and coming of age, I had no doubt that Liza Minnelli was the greatest entertainer I've ever seen-live. I screamed like a crazy woman and it was probably like that with the Judy Garland fans-I loved her film work, but my fiance was a FANATIC for her concert performances. (that he got through the black market back then).

Then I saw Sammy Davis, Jr. in person, who did have the nickname of the "world's greatest entertainer." I had been a fan since babyhood, but I left a FAN!!!!!!!! I had never seen anything, anything at all like him-and what he did on that stage never came across like that on TV. He was phenomenal.

But then came Motown 25-and it was like Michael took all the best of all the ones who came before him-Davis, Garland, Jackie Wilson, Bob Fosse, Gene Kelly-and I could go on and on and on here-mashed them all up to his own killer song, and became the greatest entertainer who ever lived or will ever be. The Grammys 88 performance just sealed the deal for me.

I haven't really thought about it that way, but it triggered my memory. Once, I had a conversation with a friend about this topic and she said that she didn't think that Michael was the greatest entertainer. I realised that it is subjective and everyone has their own tastes and whoever they like, will be the 'greatest entertainer' for them. So I guess it is just labels and titles that may not even be definite/true.

I agree with you respect that it is subjective. I guess it is a matter of taste, but when I think entertainers-I think of people that appeal to just about everybody.

When I was a teenager and coming of age, I had no doubt that Liza Minnelli was the greatest entertainer I've ever seen-live. I screamed like a crazy woman and it was probably like that with the Judy Garland fans-I loved her film work, but my fiance was a FANATIC for her concert performances. (that he got through the black market back then).

Then I saw Sammy Davis, Jr. in person, who did have the nickname of the "world's greatest entertainer." I had been a fan since babyhood, but I left a FAN!!!!!!!! I had never seen anything, anything at all like him-and what he did on that stage never came across like that on TV. He was phenomenal.

But then came Motown 25-and it was like Michael took all the best of all the ones who came before him-Davis, Garland, Jackie Wilson, Bob Fosse, Gene Kelly-and I could go on and on and on here-mashed them all up to his own killer song, and became the greatest entertainer who ever lived or will ever be. The Grammys 88 performance just sealed the deal for me.

I am envious of you! You have seen Liza Minelli, Sammy Davis Jr And Michael live! That's so awesome!

Overall he was, as he had many fans and consistently made crowd pleasing music along with clear artistic statements as well.
But also because he was a nice guy, Michael had perfect manners, was a gentleman and always thanked you for liking him,
buying his music, seeing the shows and showing him love. It's not enough just be an awesome musician and artist, but MJ had
the human touch so many other performers don't have. A good example is Prince, amazing touring artist and drop dead amazing
musician, but he personality is arrogant and stinks on ice.

Michael to me really is the most greatest entertainer ever. Back then Motown 25 might have been the greatest performance people had ever seen. But he has since done far greater performances. Like the 95 Mtv VMAs. Out of all the performances I had ever seen of Michael's. Since becoming a fan of his in the early 80s. That to me is like the best performance ever. I was 15 at the time. And I could not take my eyes off of my tv. And ever since then it had always remain my number 1 MJ performance. But now ever since what had happen to him. I have since excepted the fact that watching that performance or any other of my MJ performances, concerts, and videos I will never be able to watch again. Without being in instant tears. Which is why I have Shahrukh Khan now. He is my MJ especially when it comes to his dancing. His dancing is just as incredible as Michael's is. Even though Hrithik Roshan is called India's Michael Jackson. According to this one website. His dancing can practically match Michael's dancing. But I prefer Shahrukh more over him. And just like Michael he is also consider a king. He is called the King of Bollywood. But Michael despite how I feel about him now. Which you can blame my depression for it. He will always be the most greatest entertainer ever. And Shahrukh is just a very, very close second.

Any idea if those full concerts of Judy are available anywhere because I would LOVE to see one. I know she was amazing and obviously you get an idea of how awesome she was form her TV show but it still isn't like seeing a complete concert of hers. Her performance in a star is born is the greatest all-round performance ever captured on film.
Liza was outstanding.
Sammy was probably the greatest all-round talent ever.
You are right though the thing that made MJ special was that he was inspired by all of them and I certainly haven't seen anyone better at their best then the KOP.

Also this is an MJ board so to most of us he is the greatest of course. To me as well, but if you go to some other board where people enjoy something completely different - say heavy metal or rap - to them someone else might be a lot more entertaining. These "greatest this", "greatest that" titles are very subjective and I don't think we need to be stressed over such "titles". Just enjoy the music and be entertained by whatever enetertains you. Labels, titles are just that.

^^This especially.

I always think this when I read people online fighting over who's the best entertainer or artist, or when some magazine is listing what their favourite songs are. If people want to think someone else was the better artist or whatever, it doesn't bother me. It's obvious MJ's legacy has lived on to this generation and it will continue to do so for many generations more. Who other people think is the best entertainer or has the best album isn't going to change how I feel about the music or what the music does to me.

It's something I've tried to learn the past few years but generally it's made me happier. Just enjoy the music everyone :)

Last edited:
Personally, i can't watch an other performer after Michael Jackson. There is songs that you can't stop dancing.

I think as far as entertainers are concerned, all facts point towards MJ. The tour with the highest attendance, the music video with the highest viewership, the most expensive video of all time, the record breaking ticket sales of This Is It. Couple that with four of the biggest selling albums, most viewed live performance, 3 of the highest grossing tours which were all the best grossers of their time, the longest music video, the best grossing concert film etc etc. There are heaps over heaps of records that Michael set in his time - just in the "bling bling" ie. entertainment department.

So while everyone has opinions, none of them are really reliable unless they are based on hard facts. And the facts have almost always been in MJ's favor.

Let's put say the 5 greatest ever performers / artist together in a room - each one all performing at different stages of their life's - 12 years old 18 years old 30 years old and 50 years old. Ummmm Think Michael wins.

Most of the greats were only great when fully established adults. Which is fine and what you would expect. But Michael had been great since he was 7 years old through to adolescence into a young man and middle aged and was great the whole way.

I have seen many good musician on concerts and to me the different between Michael and them is that He always dreamed big and given big.The atmosphere around His concerts were unique.I saw Him only one time and yes,definitely Michael was the One.
While I was writing this song came to my mind, I think is a good answer :chillin:

bigger

I think as far as entertainers are concerned, all facts point towards MJ. The tour with the highest attendance, the music video with the highest viewership, the most expensive video of all time, the record breaking ticket sales of This Is It. Couple that with four of the biggest selling albums, most viewed live performance, 3 of the highest grossing tours which were all the best grossers of their time, the longest music video, the best grossing concert film etc etc. There are heaps over heaps of records that Michael set in his time - just in the "bling bling" ie. entertainment department.

So while everyone has opinions, none of them are really reliable unless they are based on hard facts. And the facts have almost always been in MJ's favor.
I've never understood this idea of bigger = best. Going by this logic McDonald's has the best food in the world, Coca-Cala is the best drink, and Starbucks has the best coffee.

Re: bigger

I've never understood this idea of bigger = best. Going by this logic McDonald's has the best food in the world, Coca-Cala is the best drink, and Starbucks has the best coffee.

I guess it depends on how you see it. Like what has been already said, it's quite a subjective topic. Personally, I don't think that just because MJ was a big star he was the best, to me, it's what he did with his craft and performances and his effect on people's lives that made me decide that he is the greatest entertainer, in my opinion :) But not just because I'm a fan, I have genuinely looked at other artist's work and how they perform and to me, Michael is above everyone that I know. That's why I used the Motown 25 performance as a big example, as it created a huge impact on music and again, had a great effect on people. But it's just people's views of titles like these, it's not really a 'serious' thing that matters a lot, just discussion ;)

Last edited:
Motown 25 is THE performance most people remember - The most popular (The McDonald's if you like) but hardly anyone remembers / knows the 5* michelin restaurant) the Grammys '88 performance which is an all round better performance and shows Michael's abilities better.

I guess it depends on how you see it. Like what has been already said, it's quite a subjective topic. Personally, I don't think that just because MJ was a big star he was the best, to me, it's what he did with his craft and performances and his effect on people's lives that made me decide that he is the greatest entertainer, in my opinion :) But not just because I'm a fan, I have genuinely looked at other artist's work and how they perform and to me, Michael is above everyone that I know. That's why I used the Motown 25 performance as a big example, as it created a huge impact on music and again, had a great effect on people.
But this is different than saying a performer is best just because their records sold more or more people have heard of them. I can't judge something based on numbers, but if I enjoy it or not. I can say one act did better business than another, but not that their music is better. Going just by numbers, is Psy the "best" act in history because his video got more Youtube visits than all the other acts? Does that mean Psy is better than Miles Davis or an orchestra, who have nowhere near the same amount of views? Jazz as a genre generally doesn't get big sales or media attention and neither does most genres and performers. Does that mean jazz is bad music? In the whole history of the recorded music, very few acts have sold much or had hits.

But this is different than saying a performer is best just because their records sold more or more people have heard of them. I can't judge something based on numbers, but if I enjoy it or not. I can say one act did better business than another, but not that their music is better. Going just by numbers, is Psy the "best" act in history because his video got more Youtube visits than all the other acts? Does that mean Psy is better than Miles Davis or an orchestra, who have nowhere near the same amount of views? Jazz as a genre generally doesn't get big sales or media attention and neither does most genres and performers. Does that mean jazz is bad music? In the whole history of the recorded music, very few acts have sold much or had hits.

I agree, I don't think about numbers or anything like that. Like I said, the music/performances themselves :)

Motown 25 is THE performance most people remember - The most popular (The McDonald's if you like) but hardly anyone remembers / knows the 5* michelin restaurant) the Grammys '88 performance which is an all round better performance and shows Michael's abilities better.

Yeah, you have a point, I just used Motown 25 as an example due to its huge impact of the 'first time' moonwalk in addition to how people perform. Not just because it's well known :) Otherwise, that would be like saying the Robin Thicke and Miley Cyrus performance is great because it's well known.

Last edited:

But this is different than saying a performer is best just because their records sold more or more people have heard of them. I can't judge something based on numbers, but if I enjoy it or not.
I understand what you're saying-bigger isn't always better. But as I was saying before, in terms of POPularity-all races, all ages, all religions, ethnic backgrounds, etc., we all were entertained by Michael and were all affected and enjoyed him in pretty much the same way. That's a huge diverse group of millions and millions of people-Some 40 million people caught that moonwalk to "Billie Jean" on Motown 25 night and it blindsided most of us-all coming from different ages, groups and backgrounds that liked all sorts of kinds of music.

I understand what you're saying-bigger isn't always better. But as I was saying before, in terms of POPularity-all races, all ages, all religions, ethnic backgrounds, etc., we all were entertained by Michael and were all affected and enjoyed him in pretty much the same way. That's a huge diverse group of millions and millions of people-Some 40 million people caught that moonwalk to "Billie Jean" on Motown 25 night and it blindsided most of us-all coming from different ages, groups and backgrounds that liked all sorts of kinds of music.

An EXCELLENT way of telling everyone else why Michael desrves to be number one here, and you prove for us that we are not just awe struck fans blinded by his success and stardom, but because Michael Jackson was a supremely talented person and one with a warm and engaging personality that embraced the whole world, a love and power that could transcend, all race, gender, ages and religion. None of today's stars have that appeal, none had the effect that Michael Jackson did and no one probably ever will again.

It's proof too that we answered from the head as well as our hearts, I mean what would Michael make of all these refugees and ISIS and the division in the USA between Black and White over racist Police and racism against Black people that increased exponentially since Obama took office?

I wouldn't say he was the greatest, but he was definitely one of the best.

I would say Michael Jackson IS the greatest entertainer of all time.

I do not say this because I am a biased fan who ignores all the other great entertainers. There have been some great acts in our lifetime, Freddie Mercury with Queen, Axl Rose with G&R, Robert Plant with LZ, and those that people ignore because they sit down at the piano like Elton John, Stevie Wonder, and Billy Joel. Countless others I'm sure I left out.
Even writing this it seems weird putting MJ around their names. He was just so different.

I've never watched a performer with so much energy, passion, and drive. He left it all on the stage, the dancing, the high pitched vocals, the showmanship he displayed was just like no other. It never seemed like he did it because he was like woo, I'm Michael Jackson, look at me. He generally got lost in the moment. Grammys '88 is a great example.

Yes, everyone talks about Motown 25 and that famous moonwalk, but even he was not happy with it. You can see how the moonwalk evolved throughout his career and got better and better until it was like he was walking on air. He practiced constantly, honing his craft, whether it be music or dancing and he never rested on his laurels. He always strived for new, new, new, while never forgetting and constantly adjusting the old.

And the thing to remember, is he did it for himself and his love of the craft, and we were just lucky to witness it.

This isn't really a topic about the "Best" entertainer - it's about the "greatest" entertainer. No entertainer ever was as great or as big as MJ. He was everywhere in the 80's and 90's. No other entertainer was or is as widely known as Michael.

Secondly, if you think best=greatest even then Michael takes the cake by being the most awarded artist in history. He collected Bollywood awards! How many western or international artists have done that lol?

Btw, to me his performance in the 1995 VMAs was also great - and it's probably his second most seen performance after Motown 25. Almost everything was just flawless!

Motown 25 is iconic, but it's very overrated. Grammy's 1988 and 1995 VMA's were much better performances

I wasn't really fully aware there were questions IF MJ is the greatest entertainer.. The fact that non fans would say "well he is the King Of Pop for a reason" says a lot.. people that don't care for his music still acknowledge his talents.

His entertainment goes beyond the stage, he created a mystique about him that drew people in.. He was "on" any time there was a camera around.. From the voice he used in public for much of his career, to the way he dressed, the persona he portrayed. He built a character that even many many fans still believe to be who he was.. (which in some it was)

THAN he gets on stage and brings magic to life like no one else, which help us buy into that mystique off stage even more..

Back