Michael Jackson Returns: Amazon's Thriller Deal

bluesky

Proud Member
Michael Jackson Returns: Amazon's Thriller Deal

15020_MJ.jpg

LIKE THE REAL THING: Steeve Bohbot shows a replica of the jacket Michael Jackson wore on the Beat It video. Bohbot said it is the only exact replica of the iconic jacket being sold.

November 10, 2011

E-commerce giant Amazon.com Inc. has sold thousands of Michael Jackson books and CDs. Now, Amazon is betting that Michael Jackson fans will open their wallets for the Seattle-headquartered retailer’s exclusive on replicas of the jackets that the star wore on his iconic “Beat It” and “Thriller” videos.

Named after the Parisian designer who designed Jackson’s looks in the 1980s, the Marc Laurent Exclusive jackets debuted Nov. 9 on the online emporium’s fashion market. Amazon will sell the Marc Laurent jackets exclusively on its fashion site.

There will be a limited run of 500 for each jacket style. The jackets will retail for $2,350.

While “Thriller” jackets have been manufactured in the past, none of the previous replicas exactly re-created the jackets that the music superstar wore on the “Beat It” and “Thriller” videos, said Steeve Bohbot, the businessman who put together the deal with Amazon, the Jackson family and the Michael Jackson estate.

The Marc Laurent Exclusive jackets also will bear a patch inside signed by Jackson’s brothers, who performed with Michael Jackson in the Jackson 5 in 1970s and in the 1984 Victory Tour. They will also come with a letter of authenticity.

The jackets were made in Mexico under a licensing agreement with the Michael Jackson estate and Laurent, said Bohbot, who runs the Connected International Sales showroom in Los Angeles.

Bohbot had been a family friend of the Jackson family since he was a playmate of Jermaine Jackson’s kids in the early 1980s.

Amazon developed interest in replica jackets when Amazon buyers saw one at a trade show booth in 2010 for Bohbot’s J5 Collection line. The collection’s T-shirts, backpacks and jackets bearing the Jackson 5 images have been sold at Kitson.

Amazon’s exclusive fashion venture is unique, said Holland Smith, director for merchandising and buying for e-commerce retailer Karmaloop. Amazon sells dresses from top brands such as Guess? and Bebe, as well as jeans from True Religion and 7 For All Mankind, but the website has not been known to debut new looks.

“They’re giving you what you already know is cool,” Smith said. “They’re not putting you onto the next thing in the market.”
Amazon is on a growth spurt. It will open 17 new distribution centers by the end of this year. For its third-quarter net revenue, which was reported on Oct. 25, the company earned $10.8 billion, slightly lower than Wall Street estimates of $10.9 billion, according to Herman Leung, an analyst for Susquehanna Financial Group.
Bohbot said he hopes Jackson’s loyal fans and memorabilia hunters will buy this jacket. “These jackets are the most famous in the world,” he said. “The exact replica has never been made.”—Andrew Asch

http://www.apparelnews.net/news/retailing/111011-Amazons-Thriller-Deal/print

Replicas of Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' and 'Beat It' Jackets Go Onsale

6704e3b61496ce168a506b9bd1930d01b08f4651.jpg

Tito Jackson signs limited edition "Thriller" jacket for sale exclusively on Amazon.com

After the recent spate of sad Michael Jackson news, a newly launched memorabilia collection celebrating the icon's style brings a happy note to a grim week. Yesterday, in collaboration with designer Marc Laurent, the Jackson memorabilia franchise, J5 Collection, launched limited edition replicas of Jacksons' two most famous jackets on Amazon.com. To commemorate the release, Prince, Tito, and Marlon Jackson spent Halloween weekend signing the 1,000 pieces of memorabilia in what was the first commercial endorsement for Jackson's 14-year-old son, Prince. At the signing, he told CNN that the jackets were ideal introductions of his father's style to "a new generation," noting that he himself would consider wearing them to "dress up parties." "It's not casual," he explained. "But it's nice to wear to events." CNN comments that Prince's involvement with the endeavor is a favor to his uncles, the surviving four members of Jackson 5.Amazon.com's exclusive"Thriller" and "Beat It" jackets are selling for $2,350 each and are cut specifically to match the deceased pop icon's slender measurements, making this a true destination purchase. Both also come with a certificate of authenticity and patch signed by the brothers and an embroidered Michael Jackson signature. As we noted this summer, Jackson's original Deborah Nadoolman Landis-designed "Thriller" jacket went up for auction recently, and commanded a cool $1.8 million.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/b...jackets-hit-amazon-com-20111110#ixzz1dM7rf69b

So funny to me. They had nothing to do with Thriller nor Beat it... but here they are signing the jackets like they own them.

I wish the estate would respect MJ's wish to keep his family away from his business.

Is it too much to ask to respect the man's wishes? He dealt with enough crap in his lifetime...give him that respect

Anyway, this will probably fail hard. Who will spend $2,300 on a replica? When people can't even pay their mortgage.

SMDH

If you are keeping tab: That's a FAIL for both estate & Jackson 4.

Last edited:
Anyway, this will probably fan hard. Who will spend $2,300 on a replica? When people can't even pay their mortgage.
Funny how I'm thing about the same thing. $2,350 is my monthly mortgage. :( How many people have so much money to spend on a replica? Omg... This is not some designer hand-made clothing... Is this clothing line endorsed by the Estate? I cannot believe Branca would okay this ridiculously priced jackets.

Funny how I'm thing about the same thing. $2,350 is my monthly mortgage. :( How many people have so much money to spend on a replica? Omg... This is not some designer hand-made clothing... Is this clothing line endorsed by the Estate? I cannot believe Branca would okay this ridiculously priced jackets.

Authorized? yes.

But Branca didn't dictate the price.

My only issue is THEM having permission at all. MJ distanced himself from the family. He didn't want to do business with them. People should stop rewriting HIStory

Last edited:
??? Did the Jacksons have anything to do with thriller and beat it? Why they singed that? Make no sense to me.

I cringed at that picture of Tito signing the jacket.
What I think is that Michael didn't care about these material possessions anyway. I don't see him caring about this kind of stuff being sold. Still, his family shouldn't be autographing this stuff. It just doesn't seem right.

I don't know why anybody would even want a Michael Jackson item with a signature from his family member. It doesn't even make sense.

If I Had $2,300 I would buy the jacket, but only without their autographs on it.

Ridiculous and insulting to us and our grief. To me, it's like saying :
- we know you will buy anything MJ related even if it makes no sense
- let's make the most of Michael's death while the trend lasts
- lets associate our name to Michael's in people's minds, best way to appropriate his fan base.

Even if I had a million dollars, I would not give one cent to the Jacksons. Never, ever.

So funny to me. They had nothing to do with Thriller nor Beat it... but here they are signing the jackets like they own them.

I wish the estate would respect MJ's wish to keep his family away from his business.

Is it too much to ask to respect the man's wishes? He dealt with enough crap in his lifetime...give him that respect

Exactly..........just more Jacksons trying to take credit for Michael's hard work and accomplishments!!!!

Anyway, this will probably fan hard. Who will spend $2,300 on a replica? When people can't even pay their mortgage.

SMDH

If you are keeping tab: That's a FAIL for both estate & Jackson 4.

It makes me wonder exactly how much did Michael's original jackets cost.........I'm betting it's less the current asking price for the "replica"!!!

Is this clothing line endorsed by the Estate? I cannot believe Branca would okay this ridiculously priced jackets.

Great question!

Well it's not featured on Michael's official website........and to be honest, I have yet to find any evidence it is official......

And it's just occurred to me why Prince is involved.............maybe its so that the estate are less likely to sue a Jackson of any of Michael's children are involved?!?!?!?!?!?!

Tito signing the jacket has most likely lowered the price. I think black version of the jacket with less zippers, could be still weared today.

Ridiculous and insulting to us and our grief. To me, it's like saying :
- we know you will buy anything MJ related even if it makes no sense
- let's make the most of Michael's death while the trend lasts
- lets associate our name to Michael's in people's minds, best way to appropriate his fan base.

Even if I had a million dollars, I would not give one cent to the Jacksons. Never, ever.

lol. Read the will, MJ did JUST THAT

Hard to believe they were doing interview to promote this latest money grab while the trial was going on. And they found a way to use the kid's love for his dad to bamboozle him. NO RESPECT FOR THESE PEOPLE. Fan fest should be VERY interesting.

TITO, MARLON AND JACKIE JACKSONWe Got ScrewedOver Thriller Jackets
1115-jacksons-signing-3-ex.jpg

Three of Michael Jackson's brothers -- Marlon, Jackie, and Tito (left to right) -- have filed a lawsuit against a guy who they say duped them into signing 1,000 [COLOR=#009900 !important]replicas
of the famous Michael Jackson "Thriller" and "Beat It" jackets.

According to a new lawsuit -- obtained by TMZ -- the 3 bros were promised $100,000 each for their signatures on replicas of the iconic, red, [COLOR=#009900 !important]leather jackets[/COLOR] that MJ wore in his "Thriller" and "Beat It" videos.

1115-jackson-jacket-amazon.jpg

The brothers [COLOR=#009900 !important]claim[/COLOR] Steeve Bohbot and the other defendants were supposed to pay as soon as the ink was dry, but they allegedly changed the deal and said they would pay when the jackets were delivered to [COLOR=#009900 !important]Amazon[/COLOR].com for sale.

According to the suit, Bohbot claimed there was a problem with delivery to Amazon, but the brothers say it was just a lie.

Bohbot's lawyer had no comment.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/11/15/tito-marlon-jackie-jackson-thriller-jacket/#.TsNF28Mk67s
[/COLOR]​

Not one bit surprised. What else do you expect from these uneducated Jacksons. They have no business sense.

I find it interesting that Prince was not offered the same thing for his "help". Not even a cool drink.

They've been in show business 40 years. How are they still THIS uneducated about business matters and media relations?

lol. Read the will, MJ did JUST THATHard to believe they were doing interview to promote this latest money grab while the trial was going on. And they found a way to use the kid's love for his dad to bamboozle him. NO RESPECT FOR THESE PEOPLE. Fan fest should be VERY interesting.
Fan fesr should be interesting indeed. Let me stay away from the wine.

I believe no one but crooks would agree to go in business with the Jacksons. So, no surprise. Just like that delightful Rouas.
So impatient of making a quick buck using their brother, well, I'm glad it backfired. They look like idiots, once more.
The worst part is, Prince's face is in those pictures. He's somehow associated with this scam. That is inexcusable.

Great! Typical...and EXPECTED.

These Jacksons are greedy and desperate to make some money off their dead sibling. Fantastic news!

And Branca better take part of the blame for MJ's name being dragged in the media this time around. WTF did he allow these guys to use MJ's name again?

Huge fail for Branca. SMDH. But I can understand why he did it.

If you want peace, sometimes, you have to let Jacksons win a few battles. You win some, you lose some.

Eventually, even when they get a big break, they end up shooting themselves in the foot.

Well it's not featured on Michael's official website........and to be honest, I have yet to find any evidence it is official......

And it's just occurred to me why Prince is involved.............maybe its so that the estate are less likely to sue a Jackson of any of Michael's children are involved?!?!?!?!?!?!

Authorized doesn't mean OFFICIAL or distributed by the estate.

Steve Boboth went through proper channels (estate, Bravado) and received permission to reproduce these items. Therefore, they won't be sued like Rouas or a host of others for illegally selling products using MJ's name. Most likely in exchange of a fee or percentage.

This is not an official product being promoted by the estate itself, like say, Cirque Du Soleil.

Last edited:
Got the wool pulled over their eyes? I wonder if they are feeling sheepish......

Edit: There are some interesting reviews on the Amazon page for these jackets ( None from any purchasers as yet.....!)
I think the PR people from the GLE Tribute concert must be writing the positive reviews.....could there be any connection to LT and 'her people' I wonder????

- Love these jackets... a true collectors item and an exact replica. Just won't be able to decide if it should be framed on the wall or worn out it style!

- This jacket is so amazing. I grew up wishing I could have one of these, so this is truly a dream come true!!

- WOW What a great way to honor his legacy with his family!! I'll definitely be putting on my Christmas list, hopefully they'll be some left! #jacketmania :)!

- I am totally going to buy this jacket and frame it. What a great way to honor the legacy of Michael and shine some positive light on the amazing entertainer that he was with these iconic jackets. Way to go J5!

.......and a mildly amusing one:

used to dance with two left feet, but after simply trying this jacket on, I can now do the moonwalk just like MJ did during that legendary performance at the Apollo. I also noticed that whenever I walk on the sidewalk, the concrete lights up under my feet just like it did for MJ.

http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Jacks...=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0

Postscript: So there is no sizing information on these jackets, except to say they are 'Michaels size' and they are also non-returnable. Not many incentives to buy then. (In addition to all the other considerations above ie including that they are horribly expensive (...other replicas are £30 - £80 each) and inappropriately signed.

Last edited:
a couple more details in this article......
Not sure of the point of sueing an insolvent company...don't you just join a long line of other creditors?

Jackson brothers sue over 'Thriller' jacket deal
By Alan Duke, CNN
November 16, 2011 -- Updated 2219 GMT (0619 HKT)

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Three of Michael Jackson's brothers claim in a lawsuit filed this week that they've been "duped" by a company selling replicas of jackets worn by the pop icon.
The endorsement deal was the first involving Michael Jackson's oldest son, Prince, who posed for pictures with his uncles as they autographed the limited-edition jackets.

The "Thriller" and "Beat It" jackets went on sale online last week, but Jackie, Tito and Marlon Jackson filed a lawsuit Tuesday alleging the marketer bounced a check to them for travel expenses.
Steeve Bohbot, owner of Connected Internationals Sales, also failed to pay each of the three brothers the $100,000 each for signing the 1,000 leather jackets, the suit, filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court Tuesday, contends.

"Plaintiffs, tired of chasing Bohbot for the moneys, have no choice but to seek redress from the courts," it said.
The suit alleges that Bohbot told the Jackson's that the delayed payment was caused by a problem with the jackets' delivery to Amazon.com, but it was not true.

The brothers believe the company is insolvent and has not paid other creditors, including Michael Jackson's estate, which authorized the sale, the suit said.
Bohbot did not respond to CNN calls for comment.

The Jackson brothers, who recently reunited onstage for a series of concerts, gathered at West Hollywood's Bar Marmont on October 29 to sign the jackets. Prince Jackson, who has previously stayed away from commercial endorsements, joined them at the event, but he did not autograph the jackets.

Prince Jackson is not involved in the lawsuit since he was not part of the marketing agreement. It was not disclosed how much he was to be paid to attend and pose with the jackets.

Connected International Sales "duped plaintiffs into a scheme to sign 1,000 collectors' jackets," the suit said.

Michael Jackson debuted the red "Beat It" and red and black "Thriller" jackets, designed by Marc Laurent, in 1983. The Jackson brothers signed 500 of each jacket, which are still on sale for $2,350.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/16/showbiz/jackson-jackets-lawsuit/index.html

Last edited:
Seems everythign they touch involving Michael swirls down a big black hole.
Michael is trying to tell them something .. Just STOP "JU Just leave me alone"

I know the Michael fans were not thrilled over Jacksons signing Michael Jackets
or using Michael son prince to promote this sham becuase They had nothing to do
with thriller or Beat it. That was MJ solo -It seems they are not intune with the MJ
fan base or what they want. I dont think many MJ fans are upset over this deal
gong bad. Most didnt want anything to do with it. The Estate even authorised it
for them and still they cant get it right. It was not the Estates deal it was theirs.

Now when prince comes of age and he wants to promote some of his Dads clothing
I would consider being he is MJ heir and Son. But people are really getting tired of
the Jackson Family using MJ in this manner. We have been YELLING it and yet they
still dont get it or understand. WHY becuase unlike MJ they dont pay attention to
the fans or what they want. They dont really care about us just Money making
schemes that always backfrie in their face when it comes to Michael Jackson.

Steeve Bohbot, owner of Connected Internationals Sales,
http://www.connectedshowroom.com/showroom.html

This is the J5 collection website and lists Connected - http://www.j5collection.com/contact/
So they have been associated for while but where is the collection - The J5 clothing line ????

The J5 Collection, launched in 2010, is a unique celebration of The Jacksons achievements as an international mega group. The Los Angeles based line features vintage images and illustrations dating back to their first newspaper article up to their world 1984 Victory Tour. With over 150 million albums sold worldwide and having introduced the greatest artist of all time, this collection is reflective of the brother’s legacy and the inspiration of music and fashion.

Actually I got the complaint file and

"The brothers believe the company is insolvent and has not paid other creditors, including Michael Jackson's estate, which authorized the sale, the suit said."

the lawsuit doesn't say it.

and fashion is not something that can be copyrighted. J5 name is not under Estate's control.

I believe the more time these kids spend with their uncles and cousins the more damaged and weird they'll become. I know it's natural to show off when you're a teen, especially if the person who raised you is wildly famous. But they walk a fine line of becoming fame wh*res, just like the rest of the family (except for Janet :))

Back