Michael Jackson Scream - The Album

A few hundred fans boycotting because they dont support the estate is Hardly going to make much difference interms of world wide sales. Not buying it cause you already have the songs cant be seen as a boycott.some fans are collectors who buy everything and some fans are more selective in what they buy.

Why would fans support this? Yes some fans are willing to buy the same songs again and again for some reason but not all fans are going to do it. This is a good release to get new fans.

People are free of not supporting the product if they don't like it as far as I'm concerned, what pisses me off is some fans' overzealous views towards the estate and irrational hatred to them, Branca especially wanting to impose such views to all the fandom and attacking anyone who disagrees wirh them and support the posthumous releases.

I haven't agreed with every decision the estate have made and I haven't bought all the releases they have put together but they're not as bad as these fans paint them. Instead of harming Branca and McClain, they're harming Michael and the fan community. If they want to hate the estate and not buying what they release, it's up to them but they don't have any right to attack the fans who decide to buy such products.

I agree although It should also be pointed out the difference in those who dont buy the album because they arent collectors and dont see the point in buying songs they already have. They should not be bunched in with those who are actively boycotting because its the estate

^That's true and and the fans who aren't collectors don't bother, me, that's the reason I specifically mentioned the estate haters who have been the ones causing problems and division in the fan community.

Last edited:
People are free of not supporting the product if they don't like it as far as I'm concerned, what pisses me off is some fans' overzealous views towards the estate and irrational hatred to them, Branca especially wanting to impose such views to all the fandom and attacking anyone who disagrees wirh them and support the posthumous releases.

I haven't agreed with every decision the estate have made and I haven't bought all the releases they have put together but they're not as bad as these fans paint them. Instead of harming Branca and McClain, they're harming Michael and the fan community. If they want to hate the estate and not buying what they release, it's up to them but they don't have any right to attack the fans who decide to buy such products.

You are correct when you say these fans boycotting are hurting Michael and not the estate. This is what happened with Xscape and why it didn't reach #1. You would think that these fans would realize that when they don't support or go and spread negative vibes about a Michael project, they are tearing down Michael and NOT the estate. :angry None of this hurts the estate, it only hurts one person-Michael AND his legacy. Btw, I wonder what these same fans are going to say when the estate stops releasing ANYTHING!!

Xscape did reach number 1 in a few countries including the UK (despite the, very vocal, boycott), and an extremely close #2 in the USA - it only lost out by a few hundred copies (with thousands 'given away' in promo bundles). In fact HDD in the USA gave Xscape as the number 1 album, as it included the CDs given as part of a paid for bundle.

Just wanted to correct the assumption that Xscape didn't do well. It did, considering the plethora of releases before it, for a deceased artist.

It obviously would have done better without an active boycott. #1 in the USA, for sure.

chart data‏ @chartdata · 2 Std.Vor 2 Stunden

US chart preview (pure): @ShaniaTwain 120-130k | @ddlovato 45-55k | @MileyCyrus 30-40k | @michaeljackson 9-14k | @PearlJam 11-13k

US chart preview (SPS): @ShaniaTwain 120-135k | @ddlovato 70-80k | @MileyCyrus 40-55k | @michaeljackson 13-19k | @PearlJam 12-15k

Annita;4207748 said:

US chart preview (pure): @ShaniaTwain 120-130k | @ddlovato 45-55k | @MileyCyrus 30-40k | @michaeljackson 9-14k | @PearlJam 11-13k

US chart preview (SPS): @ShaniaTwain 120-135k | @ddlovato 70-80k | @MileyCyrus 40-55k | @michaeljackson 13-19k | @PearlJam 12-15k

Oh damn... I really wished it would debut at #1 :(

Oh damn... I really wished it would debut at #1 :(

I'm just glad that it did as well as it did. I never expected this album to debut at #1, because it was not an album of new music. If it had debuted st #1, it would have been a wonderful surprise.

I'm just glad that it did as well as it did. I never expected this album to debut at #1, because it was not an album of new music. If it had debuted st #1, it would have been a wonderful surprise.

Honestly I don't see how this album can sell enough to cover the cost of promotion
let alone make a profit. TV ads all those banners posters internet ads
cost a fortune and it only sells 14 000 the first week in the US.
I don't see how this is good business for the Estate.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't see how this album can seel enough to cover the cost of promotion

This album is supposed to be an album for the Halloween. It may not cover the costs or make profit in the short run, but if sales for this album increase every year during Halloween, then it will make a profit for the Estate in the long run.

This album is supposed to be an album for the Halloween. It may not cover the costs or make profit in the short run, but if sales for this album increase every year during Halloween, then it will make a profit for the Estate in the long run.

Thank you!!

Xscape did reach number 1 in a few countries including the UK (despite the, very vocal, boycott), and an extremely close #2 in the USA - it only lost out by a few hundred copies (with thousands 'given away' in promo bundles). In fact HDD in the USA gave Xscape as the number 1 album, as it included the CDs given as part of a paid for bundle.

Just wanted to correct the assumption that Xscape didn't do well. It did, considering the plethora of releases before it, for a deceased artist.

It obviously would have done better without an active boycott. #1 in the USA, for sure.

I don't think there was any big active boycott and I don't think there is now. It is just a small number of fans online. Nothing that changes the sales numbers and chart positions. I'm not going to buy Scream but I am not boycotting it. This is a good way to get new fans.

Annita;4207748 said:

So #4 will be. Not bad for a compilation album. Better than Number Ones, Essential and Ultimate Collection...

Honestly I don't see how this album can sell enough to cover the cost of promotion

Selling of the back catalog, promo for the TV show for which the Estate will get paid (+ the royalties for the songs used), the album will keep selling around Halloween all over the world, not just US. Plus besides the promo campain they had 0,00$ expences because all the songs are released untouched. They just had to pay White Panda and the other DJ for the remixes and art designer for the cover. The album will earn money for sure.

Annita;4207748 said:

Holy HELL, I underestimated Shania Twain. Genuinely surprised at the current projections.

I think people will just keep buying Thriller every Halloween. People are not going to know what the Scream album is. Thriller is what people know.

Eric;4207803 said:
I think people will just keep buying Thriller every Halloween. People are not going to know what the Scream album is. Thriller is what people know.

I actually agree with you. Thriller has been part of Halloween for like 34 years or something. It still is. I’m not sure if Scream will appeal to everyone. It may be a Halloween album this year, but who says that everyone is going to remember the Scream album next year again?

So #4 will be. Not bad for a compilation album. Better than Number Ones, Essential and Ultimate Collection...

Those are only new releases. Top 20 will be best for SCREAM, unless their projections are wrong.

Doggone;4207823 said:
I actually agree with you. Thriller has been part of Halloween for like 34 years or something. It still is. I’m not sure if Scream will appeal to everyone. It may be a Halloween album this year, but who says that everyone is going to remember the Scream album next year again?

Hundreds of Christmas albums get remembered every year such as the J5 Christmas album, and without promotion.

I am sure The Estate will give this a gentle push each year, and a successful animated film will be shown year after year if it's good enough.

The singles will get extra play every Halloween, and these will be added to the album sales.

Make no mistake. This is a Long term vision by The Estate.

I have to say, NME made me chuckle with this...

"Since he was so well known for involuntary grunts and whistles, stretching his right arm and adjusting his testicles like a world championship sexual athlete, might the next Olympics bring on ‘Beat It: The Michael Jackson Sporting Anthology’ featuring ‘Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough’ and ‘Speed Demon’? Might a televised baking show final inspire ‘The Great ***** Bake Off Album’, led by ‘Jam’? And so on, increasingly tenuously, forever? Now that really is something to keep you awake at night…"

And there's some truth in that, for me.

ChrisC;4207827 said:
I have to say, NME made me chuckle with this...

"Since he was so well known for involuntary grunts and whistles, stretching his right arm and adjusting his testicles like a world championship sexual athlete, might the next Olympics bring on ‘Beat It: The Michael Jackson Sporting Anthology’ featuring ‘Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough’ and ‘Speed Demon’? Might a televised baking show final inspire ‘The Great ***** Bake Off Album’, led by ‘Jam’? And so on, increasingly tenuously, forever? Now that really is something to keep you awake at night…"

And there's some truth in that, for me.

Really? Theres some truth in that with ONE themed compilation?

SmoothMJ;4207826 said:
Hundreds of Christmas albums get remembered every year such as the J5 Christmas album, and without promotion.

I am sure The Estate will give this a gentle push each year, and a successful animated film will be shown year after year if it's good enough.

The singles will get extra play every Halloween, and these will be added to the album sales.

Make no mistake. This is a Long term vision by The Estate.

You are missing the point. Those albums are a tradition now. I don’t see Scream returning every year back to the charts, because people will forget about it again by the it’s Halloween 2018. Do you think the Estate will promote the album every year? No. The Christmas albums you mentioned are already known for a loooooooooong time, it’s in everyone’s culture who celebrates Christmas to buy those old Christmas albums. Don’t get me wrong, I hope that Scream re-enters the chart every year, but I don’t see it happening.

So, the launch party they held in London, where they showed Thriller and Ghosts on the big screen, that wasn't the event where we could see 7 of Michael's short films on the big screen, was it? And it wasn't the only day it was held? Please tell me it wasn't.

Doggone;4207829 said:
You are missing the point. Those albums are a tradition now. I don’t see Scream returning every year back to the charts, because people will forget about it again by the it’s Halloween 2018. Do you think the Estate will promote the album every year? No. The Christmas albums you mentioned are already known for a loooooooooong time, it’s in everyone’s culture who celebrates Christmas to buy those old Christmas albums. Don’t get me wrong, I hope that Scream re-enters the chart every year, but I don’t see it happening.

That makes absolutely no sense.

The year after each of these Christmas albums were released, why didn't people forget them? They went into public consciousness from day 1? No.

People actively search for Xmas albums at Xmas - and shops/iTunes etc promote them each year. Same for Halloween albums and songs.

The animated film will be repeated each holiday season, and the Estate/Sony only has to put out some cheap reminders of the songs and album.

You think they are doing all this for one holiday season?

Last edited:
Doggone;4207829 said:

Retailers want to make sales and exceed targets too, im in retail and I know that if I can make a sale of a seasonal product I would make sure its available, if the album is in stock next year they will be pushed to try and make a sale

I dont get why so many people on here want this product to fail or be forgotten. "I cant see", "I dont think", we're talking about Michael Jackson here, in my opinion this release and train of thought was a stroke of genius by the Estate, there's noone else in music cashing in on Halloween, id have loved new music but these guys obviously know what theyre doing and also a reason why they're such successful business men in the field

SmoothMJ;4207834 said:
That makes absolutely no sense.

The year after each of these Christmas albums were released, why didn't people forget them? They went into public consciousness from day 1? No.

People actively search for Xmas albums at Xmas - and shops/iTunes etc promote them each year. Same for Halloween albums and songs.

The animated film will be repeated each holiday season, and the Estate/Sony only has to put out some cheap reminders of the songs and album.

You think they are doing all this for one holiday season?

Weather it’s repeated each Holliday season remains to be seen. I hope it’s great, but it just might suck. We will see

these guys obviously know what theyre doing and also a reason why they're such successful business men in the field

LOL it's not because "they know what they're doing". It's because WHATEVER they release, the majority of fans will buy it. They are 'successful business men', but only because of most of you support these kind of....silly projects.

Back