Michael Jackson Scream - The Album

barbee0715;4210126 said:
How in the world did she get in there?
She thanked the estate for the invite, so I guess they invited her or she´s lying as usual.

Interesting, it is an album of old tracks, maybe release related to Halloween!

Finally saw some promo for this in the uk. A small snippet of the scream album trailer was shown. The voiceover didn't even mention mj by name and it included virtually no music or vocals. Terrible.

What a 'bright ray of sunshine' your posts are.

I can't be the only one who looks forward to them and the joy/positivity they bring each day. LOL

Oh good god...
She's probably priming up for Ghosts next year. Her grand moment..well her only moment.

I saw several pictures of Shana walking the red carpet. And she posed with Ola Ray.

Ahh, thank you! Ola Ray, huh, interesting! Didn't she sue the Estate, twice, for more money? Maybe they are trying to keep the peace?

As far as Shana, I don't know much about her other than she has lots of MJ videos and stuff, and wrote a book (didn't read it).

I'm a little surprised that, other than Joe Jackson, (crazy looking suit!!), none of the other family members have attended these events.

Promo wise, its been dreadful. Hopefully they've inked a deal with Spotify/Apple Music and have it as a featured playlist.

What happened to blood on the dance floor 2017? Or is it in the cartoon?

Ahh, thank you! Ola Ray, huh, interesting! Didn't she sue the Estate, twice, for more money? Maybe they are trying to keep the peace?

As far as Shana, I don't know much about her other than she has lots of MJ videos and stuff, and wrote a book (didn't read it).

I'm a little surprised that, other than Joe Jackson, (crazy looking suit!!), none of the other family members have attended these events.

Re ola. Maybe who knows .at least she has a legit connnection to mj. Shana claims she was in a relationship with mj for ten years yet no one ever saw her bar her "appearance" in ghosts.she worked for sandy gallin mj ex manager and thats where she allegedly stole all the tapes from that she keeps putting up on youtube. Wrote a book implying mj was a child abuser amongst many other things. And has tried to attach herself to other celebs aswell. She has "issues" to say the least.

Jackie relies on the estate to pay his bills as they gave him a job.so he turns up at some events. While most of the others hate the estate.joe did aswell until he realised he needs someone to pay his bills via katherine. so sucks up as and when

Re ola. Maybe who knows .at least she has a legit connnection to mj. Shana claims she was in a relationship with mj for ten years yet no one ever saw her bar her "appearance" in ghosts.she worked for sandy gallin mj ex manager and thats where she allegedly stole all the tapes from that she keeps putting up on youtube. Wrote a book implying mj was a child abuser amongst many other things. And has tried to attach herself to other celebs aswell. She has "issues" to say the least.

Jackie relies on the estate to pay his bills as they gave him a job.so he turns up at some events. While most of the others hate the estate.joe did aswell until he realised he needs someone to pay his bills via katherine. so sucks up as and when

Thanks for the info. I've heard some rather unsavory things about Shana, so I choose to ignore her, sounds like a "leech/wanna be".

I figured Joe was making nice for the the $$$, he's always been about that. Didn't know Jackie worked for the Estate, he seems ok, kinda stays under the radar it seems with press and such.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Scream ~ Michael Jackson (Artist) 414% Sales Rank in CDs &amp; Vinyl: 47 (was 242 yesterday… <a href="https://t.co/sFiTgBm7XP">https://t.co/sFiTgBm7XP</a></p>&mdash; MP3 Download (@MP3_Download__) <a href="https://twitter.com/MP3_Download__/status/924352618138423297?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">28. Oktober 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ive read a couple posts stating promo wise it's been bad? I don't know the last time a compellation CD of previously released material got this type of attention.

Ive read a couple posts stating promo wise it's been bad? I don't know the last time a compellation CD of previously released material got this type of attention.

Exactly, I don't ever remember a compilation CD of previously released material getting this much attention. The promo has been awesome. Sometimes I wonder if these people who say such things as "promo wise it's been bad" even think before they post. In no way has Promotion been "bad". In fact, the promo has been as if it was an album of NEW material. It seems as if some of these people just want to find fault with anything.

^^^

I don't remember reading someone has complaint about the promo... It has been huge for a compillation album.

And actually the promo has been even bigger because they have used Thriller 3D to promote it. Great idea BTW.

I think this is a great project by The Estate. - We can alwyas complain about tracks-list, Is It Scary missing etc. etc. - but overall the project - alongside Halloween Special and Thriller 3D has been great. A lot of focus on MJ and his music.

Hopefully this makes some new fans.

I guess it depends on where you live.
In the UK I haven't really seen any promo at all, except for the advert played in full on TV once, then a badly edited version of the advert one morning last week.
No posters. No ads on the net or in magazines. No radio ads. If I wasn't an MJ fan I would have literally no idea that there was a new MJ Halloween-themed album out. The ad I did see on TV last week didn't feature MJ's name and only the tiniest snippet of music - probably around one second! Not enough for anybody to recognise unless they were already familiar with MJ's work. As a promo piece it was a complete waste of money.

I get the feeling the promo's been better in other countries, but as for the comparison with other compilation album adverts - I see some compilations being advertised all over the place so it's hardly possible to miss them. Scream?? Not at all.

Anyway, it occured to me the other day that the MJ Estate may messed up with the album.

They say they want MJ To take over Halloween and this year they have shown Thriller 3D to very limted audiences at film fesitvals - the general public won't get to see it until next year so there's been little promotional benefit to the estate. If there's a wider release next year they should hopefully reap some of the reward for the work put into it. Also, there is the cartoon in some countries - not in England though.

When the album was announced many thought it was primarily released to accompany the cartoon (or vice versa) but it doesn't quite feel like that is true, and maybe that was never the strategy but maybe it should have been (hear me out :) ).

If they want MJ to become ubiquitous with Halloween on a wider level than just thriller, they need to make sure that MJ songs can easily be found when searching for Halloween playlists, but the album is called 'Scream'. I can see why they did that - it includes 'Scream' and MJ liked to name his albums after one of the album tracks. MJ didn't have a song called Halloween but in my humble opinion, the album would be much easier to find around Halloween time if they had called it "Michael Jackson's Halloween". When anybody is searching for a Halloween playlist on their favourite music service or store, albums or songs using the key word "Halloween" are most likely to feature in the search results. The title "scream" is far less likely to appear. Also, calling the album "Michael Jackson's Halloween" would tie in closer with the cartoon. A much more cohesive approach and the two products appear as part of a unified strategy, rather than separate as they do currently.

Do you think Mariah's "Merry Christmas" album, which is a strong seller every year, would have had the same success if it was called (for example) "Joy to the World" and didn't show her in a Mrs Claus outfit on the cover? I doubt it, but the MJ Estate are trying to create the same kind of link between MJ and Halloween that Mariah has with that album and Christmas.

Just to point out I DO like the album and bought my copy straight away. I DO like the cartoon. I haven't seen Thriller 3D but I DO like the idea of it, and I DO like the idea of trying to build on the existing, strong link between Halloween and MJ, it's just the strategy that I question.

I think the Estate does an excellent job making Michael Jackson even a bigger part of Halloween then he already was. But to go back to the album... Does anyone know if the pressing of the Scream LP is limited? Or is it just the feeling they want me to have reading ''Collectible glow in the dark 2LP Vinyl'' haha

Can I ask where you live MJTruth?

I've seen promotion in and around London and Birmingham, the only two cities I have been to during the release.

I've also seen about half a dozen TV adverts in the UK, sometimes during peak programming. And I don't watch as much TV as most people I know.

"Collectible" doesn't mean "limited edition", and even that is usually just another marketing ploy to encourage buyers to make their purchase.
A pressing of 1,000 copies is limited, but even a pressing of 1,000,000 or even 10,000,000 can be called "limited edition" theoretically (with reduction of legitimacy as the numbers increase).

Can I ask where you live MJTruth?

I've seen promotion in and around London and Birmingham, the only two cities I have been to during the release.

South Coast and there has been no visible promotion in the cities I have visited. Obviously I can only comment on what I see where I live, work, and visit, plus whatever I see on TV, internet or in print, or what I hear on radio, and then I can compare that to other album campaigns in those same areas. Scream has been off the radar. It could be that it's great in and around major cities, for example, London, Birmingham, Manchester but I have no visibility of that. Nor will most people living in this densely populated area.

Currently Scream is sitting at #99 in the UK album chart based on sales (and sales-equivalent streams) to Friday last week and I expect it to be out of the Top100 at the next album updated on Wednesday. For comparison, Number Ones is at #41.

It's currently in the Top200 of the itunes album chart in only one country - Italy (where it sits at #119)

Last edited:
London, Manchester, and Birmingham are quite densely populated. Unfortunately they are likely to take precedent over the South coast, I'm afraid.

There are so many towns and cities across the world, it's not practical to spend money advertising a deceased artists compilation album in all of them. You mustn't take your individual experience as an massive indicator of what's happening in the larger world, or even UK.

SCREAM still being in the UK charts after 4 weeks is actually not too bad. It might even rise this week. Also, I'm not sure it's fair to complete of with MJ's biggest catalogue seller. #1's has a distinct download/streaming advantage with, well, all his #1's.

For a long term project, which SCREAM obviously is, it's a bit premature to write off it's success after 4 weeks on the "South Coast" of the UK.

You also missed a few days last week when SCREAM was back charting well within the UK iTUNES top 200 albums.

It was also #18 in the Sainsbury's CD charts a couple of days ago, so it might get some Halloween sales from there. Fingers crossed.

Nothing? Nada?

'Good news' seems to travel slow on forums these days.

Perhaps one of the mymjjforum lurkers (SoCav?) could post this over there?

***URGENT UPDATE***

UK TOP 100 ALBUMS (midweek update - sales Friday to Sunday inclusive)

#11 SCREAM (+88) !!!![[/url]

I think it`s the Vinyl-release and the pre-sales for it which makes it happen.

Clever, by the Estate/Sony! The vinyl must be very popular, for it to jump that much.

Would be great if it could stay in the top 40 this week.

Back