Michael Jackson: the backing vocalist

I'm really loving the "For All Time" backing... you can pick out a lot of detail. I only used the end part because the rest isn't much different from what you hear on the album.

images

For All Time

images

All I Do (Clearer audio of MJ and Eddie Levert)

Michael's background vocals are incredible, I think the best background vocal work MJ did was for the BAD album, the things he was doing with his voice was just mind-boggling. I've been listening to Superfly Sister quite a bit recently and when you turn the sound up you can hear all sorts of background vocals he did for that, he sings really low at some points while layering it with really high vocals and 2Bad has a load of different background vocals.

Keeewl.

I've had a lot of fun doing these on MJ and Stevie tracks since you brought it to our attention. I had done this ages ago on Audacity, but only trying to get instrumentals. Then you brought up the same method with the intent of isolating backgrounds and I had new appreciation for it, since I had never done it with backing vocals being the intent. Very cool to hear this method when applied to MJ and other artists' tracks.

Re-posting a couple of quotes from upthread:

‘I think he’s an incredible singer,’ ‘He’ll spend two
years making a record, then go out and sing all the lead
vocals in a week. He’s got such confidence and ability. I’ve
worked with him sitting at a piano and having him sing, and
it’s just a religious experience – the guy is amazing… he’s
expressive, has great pitch, does incredible backgrounds.
His backgrounds are probably as good as anybody I’ve ever
heard – they’re textures unto themselves
.’

Glenn Ballard
(co-writer, Keep The Faith)

'To the question " Who are some of the Best vocalists you've worked with , and what did you learn from them? ", Jerkins replied: " Michael Jackson is the best by far . I don't know who taught him how to cut background vocals , but he does things that no one else does . He'll do a hundred tracks of background vocals. He would do eight tracks of what he called accent vocals . He'd barely be singing but he'd hit the chorus line with a hard, syncopated rhythm . It was almost like he was talking, but it's not talking. He'd stack that over and over , and it would give the vocals aggression and bite . I've never seen anyone use more mics. He would have all these great mics in the room and then go through each one to figure out which one sounded the best for the track. A lot of artists are in too big of a rush and they don't take the time to do that stuff . He also taught me that you don't have to be right up on the mic on everything . Before I would tell the artist to breathe in the mic, to eat the mic. I wanted the vocalist right in your face. Michael would do that, but then he'd go in the corner and sing the next four tracks . That would give it a room sound , but without using a machine. That taught me so much. I never understood ghost tracks until I watched him work. He'll do these things that you think you can't hear, but they fill in the mix and make it bigger.'

Rodney Jerkins

Michael Jackson is the best by far . I don't know who taught him how to cut background vocals , but he does things that no one else does . He'll do a hundred tracks of background vocals. He would do eight tracks of what he called accent vocals . He'd barely be singing but he'd hit the chorus line with a hard, syncopated rhythm . It was almost like he was talking, but it's not talking. He'd stack that over and over , and it would give the vocals aggression and bite . I've never seen anyone use more mics. He would have all these great mics in the room and then go through each one to figure out which one sounded the best for the track. A lot of artists are in too big of a rush and they don't take the time to do that stuff . He also taught me that you don't have to be right up on the mic on everything . Before I would tell the artist to breathe in the mic, to eat the mic. I wanted the vocalist right in your face. Michael would do that, but then he'd go in the corner and sing the next four tracks . That would give it a room sound , but without using a machine. That taught me so much. I never understood ghost tracks until I watched him work. He'll do these things that you think you can't hear, but they fill in the mix and make it bigger.'
Off topic, but this is why I say it doesn't matter if you "complete" or contemporize what songs remain. At the end of the day you will not ever possibly reclaim the true through polish of a Michael Jackson song. They couldn't in 2010, they still didn't in 2014, they barely did in 01, while MJ was alive, but they did do it. Now we can get sketches and demoes to take us to the past, then we can get MJ on fancy beats to feel like he's still here for at least a few more days. Regardless, it is his voice that must always be the main factor. Period.

Back