Michael Jackson: the backing vocalist

66a.gif
‘I think he’s an incredible singer,’ ‘He’ll spend two
years making a record, then go out and sing all the lead
vocals in a week. He’s got such confidence and ability. I’ve
worked with him sitting at a piano and having him sing, and
it’s just a religious experience – the guy is amazing… he’s
expressive, has great pitch, does incredible backgrounds.
His backgrounds are probably as good as anybody I’ve ever
heard – they’re textures unto themselves
.’
99a.gif

Glenn Ballard
(co-writer, Keep The Faith)

here's a rare reggae vibe from Mike (on bg vocals):

352ogu1.jpg

Joe Carrasco - Don't Let A Woman [1982]

Great quote from Glenn Ballard there arXter, and wow, you're posting some great stuff in this thread. I never even knew Michael didn backing vocals on that song you posted above. It's incredible how Michael can adapt his voice to any genre of music.

Last edited:
I love Ride With Me, I got the rest of the album and most of it doesn't meet it.

Rodney Jerkins - Versatility

^ that's exactly it.

the only other decent cuts from Rodney were the interludes and the bonus track that didn't make 90% of the retail releases lol. a very ambitious title for an album.

Rhodalude

RJ Old Classy

Tell it like it is arXter, lol.

I've always been blown away by how Michael arranges and harmonizes his backing vocals. I've never heard anybody do it like him, or as well. Like if you listen to "In The Closet", "Monkey Business", "Cheater", "Leave Me Alone", "Blood On The Dance Floor", or even "Got The Hots", etc... You can really tell what a musical genius he is by listening to what he does on backing. The way he layers the different vocal parts, how he hears how higher and lower registers will work with one another and then makes them blend so beautifully, and then just the arrangement of the vocals, how he can have 3 or 4 different vocal parts and make them all work together. I ain't ever heard anything better. It blows my mind. He's underrated big time as a singer, in my view.

And wow, I'd never heard the backing vocals on "YRMW" isolated like that. I didn't even realize there were so many parts to it. That's the thing with Michael, he adds all of these parts which are essential to the whole wihout the listener even being aware. We just hear the final product and it sounds brilliant, without really noticing how much detail goes in to the final sound. But without just one of those elements, it wouldn't be the same. I wonder if there's a download of that available?
Well-said Nicole. Seems like more people give him props for his dancing than his singing, but they'll get to realize he's got it as a vocalist as well, once they have the opportunities to dig more of his material.

Thanx a lot for the precious quote, arXter! I love every lil bit of positive quotes about Mike.

Arxter you're a legend bra! I've been wanting to start a thread like this but I thought it would be silly.lol! A good example is on "In the closet" during the spoken part and in the backround he sings something like: "till we get it, whatever we doooo-dooo-ooo" I just love that part! Please tell me ya'l know what I'm talking about?

Arxter you're a legend bra! I've been wanting to start a thread like this but I thought it would be silly.lol! A good example is on "In the closet" during the spoken part and in the backround he sings something like: "till we get it, whatever we doooo-dooo-ooo" I just love that part! Please tell me ya'l know what I'm talking about?

I do! lol. I wait for that part in that song, haha. Michael's control is outstanding.

Haha, I like that part too.

"Whatever we say, whatever we do to each other
(Whatever we do-oo-oo-ooh..!)
For now we make a vow to just...
Keep it in the closet."

They need to remaster Dangerous again. The sound quality on that album is not very good. The whole disc sounds flat and monotone. Bad and Thriller and probably even Off The Wall have better sound quality than Dangerous, HIStory and Invincible. Kinda weird.

Heal the World

Black Or White

Speechless (love this one..hear him singing very high)

add more after.
those are really well made, you can hear the backgrounds perfectly. nice one, mate.

Haha, I like that part too.

"Whatever we say, whatever we do to each other
(Whatever we do-oo-oo-ooh..!)
For now we make a vow to just...
Keep it in the closet."
quote]
Man do I love this place, I always talk about these things to other people but the never know what I'm on about,lol!

this is one of my favourites as far as MJ backing goes, and co-written by him too.

2h36i61.jpg

To Satisfy You [1992]

Actually its this type of layering of vocals that Neyo always tries to achieve in his music.
yep, and you have the likes of Jon B, Robin Thicke, Maxwell and a few prominent others who done the same thing before him.

66a.gif
‘I think he’s an incredible singer,’ ‘He’ll spend two
years making a record, then go out and sing all the lead
vocals in a week. He’s got such confidence and ability. I’ve
worked with him sitting at a piano and having him sing, and
it’s just a religious experience – the guy is amazing… he’s
expressive, has great pitch, does incredible backgrounds.
His backgrounds are probably as good as anybody I’ve ever
heard – they’re textures unto themselves
.’
99a.gif
Glenn Ballard
(co-writer, Keep The Faith)

here's a rare reggae vibe from Mike (on bg vocals):

352ogu1.jpg

Joe Carrasco - Don't Let A Woman [1982]
Ooh I love this song! lol
I wish Michael would make a reggae song... just to indulge me.:D

Ooh I love this song! lol
I wish Michael would make a reggae song... just to indulge me.:D
haha yes, Mike has a critical reggae-deficiency.

off-topic but here's a pretty cool Caribbean-tinged J5 remix. i'm always on the lookout for those..

2c09hj.jpg

I Want You Back (Flesh & Bones Mix)

haha yes, Mike has a critical reggae-deficiency.

off-topic but here's a pretty cool Caribbean-tinged J5 remix. i'm always on the lookout for those..

2c09hj.jpg

I Want You Back (Flesh & Bones Mix)

That was good! hahaha I liked it.

and has Michael ever tried to sing reggae??

Oh, and Michael can be my b/g vocalist ANYDAY! Or duet...but then he'd outshine me, lol. But no, really, I would love to work with Mike when it comes to my music

Yeah, Ne-Yo doesn't have either the voice of the musical sense to achieve the kind of backing vocals Michael does. And thanks for the clip of "Tabloid Junkie". That's totally awesome.

Last edited:
^ i don't like Mike's version as much as the one with Rebbie. i like the intro, but he cut out the backing vocals and the arrangement doesn't suit it at all.

Back