Michael Jackson To Unleash World Premiere Experience At Billboard Music Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I can find something else to like in the illusion. I love the way he sat down for a while, and then after a pause swing his leg over the arm of the chair--so classic. It stated the performance was finished and the king is back on the throne. He did something similar in the Why video with the 3T's.

To me it's clear that if they showed the dancer in rehearsals it's because they got nothing to hide.

That's what I think too. Even though they are being sued they shared the information about the technology etc with the media. I don't think they re hiding anything. They might not be forthcoming with all details but not hiding.

I simply said I didn't believe the theory that you had put forth, Ivy.

and what theory would that be? I do think especially the mouth was off. Dancing wasn't that good. I wouldn't make him wear those red shoes. I also stated every past example showed a body double and if it was used due to the limitations of technology/ money / time, I wouldn't go crazy about it - meaning rationally and realistically agree with the limitations affecting some choices. So what theory are you talking about? If you want to hear the details of what I exactly think, ask me and I'll tell.

So I didn't express anger toward petrarose statement

I didn't say it was anger toward petrarose. I was talking about the general tone and how frustrated and harsh it sounds towards other members - who had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of the hologram.

there's not been much done to disprove it.

and some people won't have the need to prove or disprove anything. I was trying to see where that rehearsal photo came from and I realized it was taken for a computer screen on a frame in a video. That requires a certain level of dedication and even obsession towards this topic. Not everyone will going to have that.

and some things are explained in rational way - not proven or disproven but simply explained. You choose to reject those.

while you all (generally speaking) were telling us how wrong we were

and you have been wrong at times, haven't you? Remember how you claimed the clothes were absolutely cheap impersonator clothes and now there's video proof that Michael Bush was involved. So you see how you (generally speaking) claiming you know everything and/or 100% correct can be problematic for some?

actually back up their theory that it "clearly wasn't Michael", not an virtual image, not image based off an image of Michael

clarify this for me please. is it clearly not Michael all the time? Because if you read some posts carefully Ramona mentioned a body double for height, I did mention how body doubles seem to be a common use in this technology and so on. I also posted something from PG from Max Jax(where you read and post as well) that some pieces were MJ reference material - such as B&W hair, B&W face movements and so on. Kapital posted a picture claiming the face was modelled after Immortal cover and even Birchey mentioned several reference materials. I had mentioned PG's position of perhaps this is part MJ reference material, part CGI and rest filled in by an double. So couldn't this be a situation where everyone is partially correct? and if it has part of everything how do you label it?

In many ways, it shows how some Michael fans are becoming increasing disconnected from the general public and within the fanbase itself. If this positive news caused this giant thread of anger, melodrama, and fan outrage, the Michael Jackson forums are going to become an increasing hostile place that will chase away newer fans because who wants to deal with this drama?

Unfortunately I agree. Over the course of this last week I had chance to talk with many people - my co workers, friends, family and such majority being only causal listeners. To them this was "hologram MJ" and none of them perceived is as "real MJ" so they had no disappointment that the "hologram MJ" wasn't "real". they would kinda split three ways that some thinking it was the coolest thing they saw, some just found it creepy and some in the middle feeling weird and amazing at the same time. They had mostly moved on from it in a few days and especially after the video of the high school student dancing to MJ had surfaced.

This is only an issue among the fan community and even approached to it as "end of the world" kinda situation. Posts and approach to it also getting hostile. and yeah it's getting old and tired as I said. I'm so tired with all these meaningless fighting among fans, I'm tired with even a single simple event turning to a huge debate. The constant drama takes from our joy and enjoyment. And it is a disservice to all of us.

Last edited:
No and no one can blame the doctor for that.

The decision for Michael to somehow perform STTR at Billboard has absolutely nothing to do with Michael. NOTHING.

That was a decision made by others. Estate/Sony decide Michael somehow needed to perform to promote Xscape (despite Michael's passing). Branca stated: "it's so important to experience Michael Jackson in a live setting" (despite Michael's passing).

Michael's only contribution was his vocals.

Obviously it's a decision made by others, since Michael is gone. And these others are the people he appointed to make this type of decisions.

Serendipity, it is difficult to gauge from your response if you believe there was an impersonator or full CGI representing Michael on Billboard's stage.

Serendipity, it is difficult to gauge from your response if you believe there was an impersonator or full CGI representing Michael on Billboard's stage.

Maybe because my response is not about that. I responded to your post specifically about others making the decision for such performance.

This company isn't doing itself any favors by pretending more or less that this was 100% cgi.

If it is, then yes, it is impressive they created a 4 minute performance of an MJ impersonator you'd see in Vegas.

If anyone has watched the making of SIM, there is a stand-in for MJ, wearing a long black wig, and the black clothes with the long black jacket, same as his. Stand-in's are very common. I would think especially for something like this where everyone needs to know exactly where "MJ" will be the entire time.

Also, there is no law in this thread that people could only post about whether this is CGI or not. This thread is about the World Premiere Experience at the BB, and there are certainly many wonderful observations to make that does not involve the drama. Why focus on aspects that foster discord, and disregard aspects that bring people together? Lately, there have been too many people saying they want to leave or don't post more due to this destructive behavior.

I think from now on, if a poster is in a thread and notices that there is ONE person whose sole purpose is to cause discord and they seem to get a high from this behavior, the poster should ignore that post. That is, the poster should not engage in dialog with the person because the person gets a happy feeling from the attention and the negativity. The person then eggs on any person who has an opinion that causes strife, thereby feeding it, and keeping the negativity going.

We can't have all the members leave the forum. It makes no sense to have ONE person create an environment that makes most people unhappy. Therefore, people have to be strong and don't feed into behaviors that are destructive, sort of like a cancer that eats away what is wholesome.

That's what I think too. Even though they are being sued they shared the information about the technology etc with the media. I don't think they re hiding anything. They might not be forthcoming with all details but not hiding.

and what theory would that be? I do think especially the mouth was off. Dancing wasn't that good. I wouldn't make him wear those red shoes. I also stated every past example showed a body double and if it was used due to the limitations of technology/ money / time, I wouldn't go crazy about it - meaning rationally and realistically agree with the limitations affecting some choices. So what theory are you talking about? If you want to hear the details of what I exactly think, ask me and I'll tell.

I didn't say it was anger toward petrarose. I was talking about the general tone and how frustrated and harsh it sounds towards other members - who had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of the hologram.

and some people won't have the need to prove or disprove anything. I was trying to see where that rehearsal photo came from and I realized it was taken for a computer screen on a frame in a video. That requires a certain level of dedication and even obsession towards this topic. Not everyone will going to have that.

and some things are explained in rational way - not proven or disproven but simply explained. You choose to reject those.

and you have been wrong at times, haven't you? Remember how you claimed the clothes were absolutely cheap impersonator clothes and now there's video proof that Michael Bush was involved. So you see how you (generally speaking) claiming you know everything and/or 100% correct can be problematic for some?

clarify this for me please. is it clearly not Michael all the time? Because if you read some posts carefully Ramona mentioned a body double for height, I did mention how body doubles seem to be a common use in this technology and so on. I also posted something from PG from Max Jax(where you read and post as well) that some pieces were MJ reference material - such as B&W hair, B&W face movements and so on. Kapital posted a picture claiming the face was modelled after Immortal cover and even Birchey mentioned several reference materials. I had mentioned PG's position of perhaps this is part MJ reference material, part CGI and rest filled in by an double. So couldn't this be a situation where everyone is partially correct? and if it has part of everything how do you label it?

Unfortunately I agree. Over the course of this last week I had chance to talk with many people - my co workers, friends, family and such majority being only causal listeners. To them this was "hologram MJ" and none of them perceived is as "real MJ" so they had no disappointment that the "hologram MJ" wasn't "real". they would kinda split three ways that some thinking it was the coolest thing they saw, some just found it creepy and some in the middle feeling weird and amazing at the same time. They had mostly moved on from it in a few days and especially after the video of the high school student dancing to MJ had surfaced.

This is only an issue among the fan community and even approached to it as "end of the world" kinda situation. Posts and approach to it also getting hostile. and yeah it's getting old and tired as I said. I'm so tired with all these meaningless fighting among fans, I'm tired with even a single simple event turning to a huge debate. The constant drama takes from our joy and enjoyment. And it is a disservice to all of us.

The idea that this double was simply there in the same clothes as the "VMJ" not because of his actual involvement but simply as a placeholder.

And again, why is all the harsh and frustration filled comments from your side against us, going unnoticed? Over and over again we've been labeled "Estate haters", I've been told I don't contribute to the Estate's purpose of generating money for Michael's children and that I don't know Michael from the average impersonator, when all of those things couldn't be any farther from the truth. We've been mocked for not buying the Estate's explanation, we're still being mocked for providing evidence that it isn't a full CGI image and is the projected image of an impersonator and a half assed CGI face, it's been going on for the past two pages. But you aren't mentioning any of that. Things can get heated when people simply misconstrue words, and put forth these false labels, simply because we don't see things their way. We've pointed out the Estate not being completely honest with the whole "Michael like you've never seen him before" tagline, only to be told that we care too much, and that we simply just want to "ruin the enjoyment" of everyone else. When that also, is farthest from the truth. Fact is, we just don't appreciate being taken for fools, and will gather whatever we can and point out whatever we can, to show that they take us for fools and to prove to them that we know better so they won't try to do it again. Now all of a sudden we don't have that right? We can't do that with being inaccurately labeled? If you sense frustration, there's a reason for it. Acknowledge that, look at it from both sides of the spectrum. Some of us think this "hologram"/impersonator, was a nightmare from the moment the curtain went up, yet it seems like those of us who enjoyed it, simply want's everyone on the same page, like a bunch of a sheeple. Kissing the Estates behind over every project, even though we realize they're trying to play us for a bunch of fools. Nah, can't do that.

And this is also part of the problem. In any other instance, this wouldn't be stood for. Had someone said during the Cascio debate that those who went through the time to gather vocal comparisons, screencaps, and other things to prove their viewpoint, was simply obsessed, as opposed to not appreciating being taken for a fool, things would be different. But because the majority of MJJC seem to enjoy watching an impersonator prance around on stage in bad MJ face (in my opinion), we're now obsessed. Nah, the simple fact is they weren't entirely honest in the promotion of this. That's it. That's all we've been saying, not that this ruins the Xscape album, or any other crazy stuff like that, just simply they weren't being 100% honest. They still aren't, because they're still alluding to it being a full CGI image, when it's 90% human body, 10% CGI (in my opinion). The simple fact is, the Estate promoted this as experiencing Michael in a live setting. The Estate promoted this as "like Michael being in concert." The Estate promoted and advertised this as "Michael, like you've never seen him before", yet outside of his vocals, we got NO Michael. It's simple as that, they weren't 100% honest, we went about finding what we needed to to back that up. And because of it, we're obsessed? Like, huh?

PG said that, but PG has since co-signed the very same post Birchey posted here. Implying that they agree with the Earnest Valentino theory. So who knows what PG thinks at this point. Kapital said the face looked like the Immortal cover, not that it was modeled after it. I don't recall seeing Birchey say that it was part reference material, not lately. I'm not sure he believes that, but that's up to him to answer, I don't know. I think some parts are obviously references of Michaels past work, but that doesn't mean it's Michael dancing. For instance, it's obvious they incorporated part of that dance break with part of the routine from BOW, that's the reference material. However, that wasn't Michael's exact dance moves from the BOW video. Meaning, it isn't like they just made this "CGI" dance with Michael's own steps, it's simply the impersonator, impersonating Michael's dance moves from that video, and not looking that great doing it. That's what I think. In that case, everyone can't be right, but I have a better understanding of where you're coming from.

Because you think the general public and your friends and co-workers moved on from it, doesn't mean it's a requirement for us to do so as well. Just saying in general. Notice this was a mostly peaceful debate, until we started to actually put forth reasons why we believed what we did, and then people began to throw these incorrect labels at us and telling us that we had no positive thoughts about it, than to just shut up (SmoothMJ). It wasn't until then where all this "constant drama" came about.

I too have spoken to many people outside of the fan community, and I haven't come across many people who thought fondly of the performance, from most of the information I've gathered, most people thought it sucked and was obviously rushed, others just found it distasteful. I have yet to come across anyone outside of this website who thought it was great or even remotely resembled a full computer generated image.

Last edited:
This was great :hysterical:

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

JB: If someone ask you on Facebook about your involvement on this project, just tell them "you are not entitled to give any information regarding this project". From your response no one will suspect that you were part of this. OK?
Valentino: Yes!

JB: Do you still have those MJ shoes you bought on eBay?
Valentino: Yes!
JB: Take them with you because we don't have MJ shoes. OK?

What follows is a transcript of a conversation between JB, JM, and LAR:

JB: Yes! We'll test him with 'casual MJ fans from MJJC'. If they don't discover that he is impersonator neither will general audiences.
LAR: Casual MJ fans from MJJC? Who are they?
JB: They are the fans who love MJ, but they did not studied MJ movements enough. They are rarely in section 2000 Watts.

JB: Everything is under control. If something happens to Valentino we'll use impersonator of an impersonator!

A few days later came the footage of 'casual MJ fans from MJJC' at the time when they saw Valentino? This is the actual footage:

jh8x0z.jpg

@Petrarose, yours was equally funny as hell:rollin:
"we want you to lend your body but not face, face but not body, dance but not moonwalk or walk to the MJ illusion for BB."

I too have spoken to many people outside of the fan community, and I haven't come across many people who thought fondly of the performance, from most of the information I've gathered, most people thought it sucked and was obviously rushed, others just found it distasteful. I have yet to come across anyone outside of this website who thought it was great or even remotely resembled a full computer generated image.

That's a bit strange as the video now has over 10,000,000 views and a favourable rating of 97% based on the tens of thousands of votes it's received

That's a bit strange as the video now has over 10,000,000 views and a favourable rating of 97% based on the tens of thousands of votes it's received

And that means what? I still haven't come across many people outside of this forum who thought fondly of the performance. What does that have to do with the amount of youtube views it gets? Not much.

There's also no way of figuring out why the video is being viewed. 10,000,000 views doesn't instantly mean people are watching it because they're so in love with it. There's really no way of knowing such a thing. A rating is simply a rounding of the likes the video receives. People are watching because they enjoy it, people are watching to spot the issues and point out the flaws of it all, and people are watching out of curiosity. I don't see how you can imply that simply because of the views it gets, that the majority of the world's population loves it.

You're saying I haven't seen the majority outside of this forum say they thought it was lackluster, simply because it got 10,000,000 views?

Last edited:
Thank you for confirming the part about not reading others posts correctly or researching, I posted this "If they use an impersonators body, who is ready to burn down the internet with me?" completely off my own back, started as a joke, but a gut feeling they were going to use one.

I did read others posts too, and I also addressed it delicately:)cheeky:) in my earlier post, but I guess it went unnoticed.

ABC New - But the Estate did tell us it isn't an Impersonator

Frank patterson (Producer and CEO of Pulse) - Looking to innovate in this space of animated human beings
- Theres a different to being able to animate all of his muscle, and co-ordinatation of all this activity, in a believable way and actually make it feel human
John Textor(Chairman of Pulse) - The creation of a digital human performer
-the muscles in the neck.....driving the vocals

I tried to search any interview in ABC that JB or JMC telling us it isn't impersonator, but I couldn't find one? Are referring what Frank P and John T says in their ABC interview? They not the estate executors? You cannot take what those 2 people say and put their words to executors mouth.

And about the Branca quote? its okay we can now forget that yes because its been a couple of years since he said it? Oh what he said it about Cirque Du Soleil..............who also did the same Illusion using an Impersonator. Is it really all it takes to get MJ fans hang on your every word as the truth, is just to not lied for a couple years?

Edit: and again about the Branca quote "we couldn't EVER imagine" guys stop trying to fit this into your stupid vision that this thing was created full CGI, You want to be fed BS fair enough speaks for yourselves, some of us don't, so please someone show me a fricken ounce of evidence to suggest that was full CGI, even one expert in CGI who wasn't involved or cashed in from this VMJ.

You know what? Are you sure you want to take that route? Imagine this, I will go look for your post from years ago and take something that you said and use it against you in totally different situation and occasion.

Also, take a very good look at the bolded part on your post and then remember what you said about David Alki. Yeah, that is egg on your face.

Secondly, you are welcome to spend next 5 years trying to figuring out how VMJ was done, whether impersonator or impersonator of impersonator was used, and make sure you have all the Branca's interviews saved and sent to Damien Shields, because next time when the estate rolls out something, so he can take little snippets from past interviews and apply them to current situation.

Btw, how many times you have said "I cannot imagine....", but things happen and your "I cannot image..... becomes reality?

What did Birchey say about Alki David, what's the egg on his face? Are you talking about how what David said in regards to what goes into the tech, and Birchey said that was simply another piece of information that confirmed to him it was an impersonator, and how you misconstrued that as him taking Alki's David word for it?

earnesto valentino is an imressator, who is aiming Michael. his behavoiur, his look and his dance moves. but also inserts in his dancing something of himself. so the comparison videos of valentino and VMJ isn't showing you Valention imitating something Michael is doing, but his own interpration of some moves and own dance.
And thats whats happening in this performance of VMJ. you don't see re-created dance routine and moves of MJ with computer from actual Mj material.
you see Valentinos own style of dancing and interpretation.

so to say, this hologram, illusion call it whaever you want, is "Virtual Valentino" is more correct.

the only thing whats from michael was the voice.

What did Birchey say about Alki David, what's the egg on his face? Are you talking about how what David said in regards to what goes into the tech, and Birchey said that was simply another piece of information that confirmed to him it was an impersonator, and how you misconstrued that as him taking Alki's David word for it?

My post was direct at Birchey and I'm sure he understands what I mean.

Don't worry about it, I'm done with this topic here, there are other places I am discussing this without the same 3 or 4 members, who constantly quote me. Difference of opinion is one thing, but when one side brings all the research and evidence to the table, whilst the otherside blindside everything, just smacks of immaturity and Sheep like behaviour, its quite common and then theres other who are here just for the fun of it, quoting users with no other reason but to try and flame them. I will focus my talent on my creative side now, back to the studio I go. Thanks for the fun convo everyone.

My post was direct at Birchey and I'm sure he understands what I mean.

One last thing, take a look back at my posts please on the subject you mentioned, stop adding 2 and 2 together to make 5. I am sure you are going to gloss this over again, or make things look like I take his word as gospel, and not just as someone who works in the field, with his evidence pileing on top of everything else. What you have done is take my word out of context, Michael would be proud, what journalistic like behaviour. over and out.

One last thing, take a look back at my posts please on the subject you mentioned, stop adding 2 and 2 together to make 5. I am sure you are going to gloss this over again, or make things look like I take his word as gospel, and not just as someone who works in the field, with his evidence pileing on top of everything else. What you have done is take my word out of context, Michael would be proud, what journalistic like behaviour. over and out.

you are complaining me taking your words out of context but yet you have no problems do the same to JB?

And that means what? I still haven't come across many people outside of this forum who thought fondly of the performance. What does that have to do with the amount of youtube views it gets? Not much.

There's also no way of figuring out why the video is being viewed. 10,000,000 views doesn't instantly mean people are watching it because they're so in love with it. There's really no way of knowing such a thing. A rating is simply a rounding of the likes the video receives. People are watching because they enjoy it, people are watching to spot the issues and point out the flaws of it all, and people are watching out of curiosity. I don't see how you can imply that simply because of the views it gets, that the majority of the world's population loves it.

You're saying I haven't seen the majority outside of this forum say they thought it was lackluster, simply because it got 10,000,000 views?

I agree, we do not know the reason that people are watching this video. But we do know that the overwhelming majority who expressed an opinion about it liked it. Hence the very high approval rating of 97%.

Well, Youtube is usually a good indicator of how popular or beloved something is. The problem with you saying that you talked to people who didn't like it and use it to grange the overall public reaction is that you are surveying a small sample pool. just because you talk to thirty people (for example) who don't like performance doesn't mean they represent the majority. For example, everyone I talked to enjoyed the performance and Ivy said she talked to people who didn't like, liked, and thought it was creepy. Does that make our observations more right than yours, no.

Youtube isn't perfect, but unless you are going to argue that the estate or certain people did something to inflate the number and the positive rating, than most people who searched and watched the video enjoyed the performance for what it was, nothing more nothing less. I mean, most people were impressed by the CGI Tupac despite all the very obvious flaws.

@WhoIsIt89
And again, why is all the harsh and frustration filled comments from your side against us, going unnoticed? Over and over again we've been labeled "Estate haters"

Honestly, are you trying to assert that all the posts from 'your side' are polite, fair and non ridiculing? 'Your side' may been labelled estate haters and 'our side' has been labelled as casual Michael Jackson fans, but tit for tat is not going to get us anywhere.

We all seem to be taking on a certain tone in here and I know I have written some things and taken on a tone that I have never done on this forum before, kind of adjusting to ones environment I think.

So due to the lack of moderation in this thread can I suggest we all check ourselves.

Do you mean something like Milo?
Kinect (Project Natal) How long would something like that take do you think Jichael? Welcome to MJJC by the way

Project Natal, haven't heard those words in 5 years XD. And thankyou.
The way it works, is if someone does movements infront of it, it can apply those movements to a 3D model

bluesky;4012829 said:
brand new article with more info!Michael Jackson's 'return to life' puts dollar signs in the eyes of concert promotersMichael Jackson's "return" last week – a remarkably convincing illusion made possible by the latest breakthroughs in human animation, visual effects and facial modelling – dazzled the audience, writes Philip Sherwell. But it is not just the King of Pop who may now live on forever
michael-jackson_2921321b.jpg
A holographic image of Michael Jackson performs onstage during the 2014 Billboard Music Awards Photo: Kevin Winter/Getty Images
By Philip Sherwell, New York9:00PM BST 24 May 2014<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/follow_button.1400006231.html#_=1400967541247&id=twitter-widget-0&lang=en&screen_name=philipsherwell&show_count=true&show_screen_name=false&size=m" class="twitter-follow-button twitter-follow-button" title="Twitter Follow Button" data-twttr-rendered="true" style="width: 162px; height: 20px;"></iframe>
comments.gif
Comment
It was the ultimate showbusiness comeback, a computer-generated resurrection that brought the boy who never grew up back from the grave.Five years after his death, a digitally-recreated Michael Jackson stole the show at last week's Billboard music awards as he sang, danced and moonwalked across the stage in familiar fashion.
The four-minute performance was a remarkably convincing illusion made possible by the latest breakthroughs in human animation, visual effects and facial modelling, combined with techniques first pioneered by 19th century magicians.But it is not just the King of Pop who may now live on forever. With the techniques that recreated him having now passed their first major "live" performance test, numerous other dead stars may soon be on stage again as the executors for their estates eye up a world of posthumous performances, shows and tours."We have already heard from about the estates of about a dozen iconic performers and some of the biggest venues in the world who are interested in staging concerts and shows using this technology," John Textor, chairman of Pulse Evolution, the digital effects company that put Jackson back on stage, told The Sunday Telegraph.He declined to identify particular celebrities, but the industry is already abuzz with speculation that the likes of Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley could appear in lifelike form once again.The potential revenues for such tours are huge. It is estimated that a two-year world tour featuring the digital Michael Jackson could rake in half a billion dollars. In a sign that a tour is already in the works, his 59-year-old sibling, Jermaine, said that the brothers who once formed the Jackson 5 were working on a new music together.Mark Roesler, the founder of CMG Worldwide, which represents late celebrities such as Marilyn Monroe and James Dean, said that his company was also in discussions about several similar projects, including plans to stage a show in Las Vegas and London featuring a hologram version of Bette Page, the former American model known as the "Queen of Pinups"."This is an incredibly exciting time," he said. "We are talking about bring back to life some of the greatest personalities we have known, people who had an enormous impact on the world."Technological gimmicks and holograms have increasingly been used to resurrect dead stars in films and commercials, while computer-generated imagery has been used to complete filming when actors die during a production.But the new technology that brought the crowd to their feet for the virtual Michael Jackson heralds a future for onstage "live" performances by the dead. Despite several reports referring to the re-creation as a hologram, the technique does not actually involve holography, which uses projections of light to create the appearance of a three-dimensional image on a two-dimensional surface.Instead, the team at Pulse began eight months ago with a computer-generated version of a gold-jacketed Jackson circa 1991 which was then the subject of a lengthy and comprehensive animation process.Facial modelling experts worked with former Jackson collaborateurs, including the choreographers who toured with him, to develop the likeness, writing computer code to replicate his hair, skin, and facial expressions. They even noted the patterns of the ligaments in his neck as he sang.For the show, six high-powered projectors hung were over the stage to direct the high-resolution footage of the virtual Jackson down to a tilted piece of clear reflective plastic.From there, the video bounced off the surface towards the audience, giving the impression that Jackson was on stage in front of them. The technique is drawn from an old magician's trick called Pepper's ghost, in which plate glass and special lighting is used to reflect images for viewers who cannot see the source.The Jackson illusion for the Billboard show was reinforced by the use of live dancers on stage, apparently passing behind and in front of the star, completing a spectacular night of smoke and mirrors."It's so important to experience Michael Jackson in a live setting," said John Branca, the estate executor who commissioned the digital illusion. "We wanted a live performance in front of a live audience.''Jackson is already the world's highest-earning dead celebrity, bringing in an $160 million for his beneficiaries, according the most recent Forbes survey.The show illustrated his enduring appeal. The television broadcast attracted 10.5 million viewers, its highest rating for 13 years, and millions more have watched online. In the subsequent social media frenzy, some complained that the re-creation of the late star was by its very nature "creepy", and that the dance moves fell short of the real thing, but the performance was generally well-received."When this all came together, it really gave me the chills, it felt so real," said Frank Patterson, Pulse's chief executive. "We worked with people who knew Michael really well, his family and friends, and when they started to cry, we knew we'd got it right. And then we all started to cry."They were not the only ones moved that night. There were nearly 20 living A-list stars performing at the Billboard awards, but it was the dead Jackson who brought the audience to their feet. Appropriately, the performance included Slave to the Rhythm from Xscape, a new posthumous album of previously unreleased recordings.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...r-signs-in-the-eyes-of-concert-promoters.html
They can´t stop lying people.

^^^ There is no new quote on that article. Just the same few lines from Branca. What struck out at me was the quote from Jermaine which is quite old that the brothers are working on new music, somehow the journalist has taken that to mean there will be a virtual concert. - I really don't know how he arrived at that from that Jermaine quote.

then theres other who are here just for the fun of it...... I will focus my talent on my creative side now, back to the studio I go. Thanks for the fun convo everyone.

Ha but it is funny, really. I was telling people about the drama and the comments like it is not Michael, impersonator of an impersonator, etc., and they all are cracking up too. I have not met Anyone who did not like this performance. I know some do or find it creepy to have an image of a dead person perform, but I have not found any. I guess it depends on who you meet or who you associate with. I saw some talking head on tv say it was creepy weeks before the show. People like that influence others to say similar comments as well. The same people who find it creepy are the same people who watch animation movies; the only difference is that the characters are not based on a once living person. Another thing is people keep asking adults, but it is mainly the younger generation who will benefit most from this illusion. They are the ones who will see the better innovations and embrace it, so ask youths who viewed this show what they thought and most average youths will agree that it was likable. Now if the youth is a expert like some of the posters here, then you might get a thumbs down.

About the comment about going back to the studio: Have you considered using that great creative ability to promote Xscape or a song? You can do your own illusion of Slave and post it on u-tube and have people view it. That would bring more sales of the album and introduce younger people to Michael, so they could investigate his established works. How about doing little videos of other Michael material? Aren't those more constructive than using your great talent to rip apart or crush the work of others? The illusion that you decry was also made by people who used Their creative talents too. Work is more enduring when it is done to lift up rather than to pull down--think about that.

but it is mainly the younger generation who will benefit most from this illusion. They are the ones who will see the better innovations and embrace it, so ask youths who viewed this show what they thought and most average youths will agree that it was likable.

Agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back