MIchael Jackson tribute belt cleared for sale

Bubs

Proud Member
MIchael Jackson tribute belt cleared for sale
By Alan Duke, CNN
April 3, 2013 -- Updated 2358 GMT (0758 HKT)

A limited run of 7,000 leather belts designed by Simon Tavassoli are on sale through his website for $1,600.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Jackson's estate blocked sale of the crystal-encrusted belts in May 2010
End of the belt dispute marks a better relationship between estate and Jacksons
Michael Jackson's mother is no longer a partner in the tribute belt sale
7,000 leather belts are for sale at $1,600 each
Los Angeles (CNN) -- A Michael Jackson tribute belt blocked from sale three years ago by the singer's estate is now cleared for sale after an out-of-court settlement.
The belt dispute was one of several between Michael Jackson's estate and members of his family that erupted in the year after the pop icon's death. The agreement suggests that nearly four years after his death there is a calmer relationship between them.

The trustees of Jackson's estate issued a cease and desist letter when the crystal-encrusted belts initially went on sale in May 2010, saying they had not approved a contract between Katherine Jackson and the marketers.
Michael Jackson's mother is no longer involved as a partner with B.B. Simon, the California company that makes the belts, under the deal reached with the estate clearing way for the sales, according to the company.
The spokesman for the estate declined to comment on the belt agreement.

Jackson's mother and her grandchildren Prince, Paris and Blanket Jackson are the chief beneficiaries of the Michael Jackson estate. Charities yet to be chosen will also get 20% of the estate's profits, according to the will signed by Jackson.
A limited run of 7,000 leather belts, designed by Simon Tavassoli, are handmade at his Newport Beach, California, studio. They went on sale again this week through the designer's website for $1,600.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/03/showbiz/jackson-tribute-belt/?hpt=hp_c3

These are the same belts that Katherine and Joe made kids to sign
Re: http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/prince-...blanket-prince-paris-first-autographs-up-sale

"The belt dispute was one of several between Michael Jackson's estate and members of his family that erupted in the year after the pop icon's death. The agreement suggests that nearly four years after his death there is a calmer relationship between them".

I'm curious to know if there was a settlement between the Jacksons & the estate.

^^ What do you mean by settlement between the estate and family?
I don't think family has any money to pay any settlements, and the estate was right to stop this sale as due to infringing copyright (I think).

^^What I mean is that is possible since the Jacksons started this deal j(without any authority)& now the estate has it, I believe it's probable the estate gave some cash (maybe for the design/idea) to the Jacksons. I just hope they didn't.

I don't think that is the case, more like that company pays certain amount to the estate/belt.
Don't forget that they already made (design and all) those belts few years ago, and they were signed by MJ's kids.

I assume that 'bb simon' have paid the estate for use of Michael's image and name...

http://www.bbsimononline.com/

B.B. Simon has been given permission to manufacture and sell the Michael Jackson Limited Edition Tribute Belt commemorating the life and music of the late pop star.

This unique and highly detailed quality work of art has been designed in cooperation with Mrs. Katherine Jackson and is limited to a worldwide edition of only 7,000. Each belt, made from the finest graded Crystal Lized featuring Swarovski elements, is individually embellished by hand in the U.S., comes with a Certificate of Authenticity and is signed and numbered by the artist.

Michael was a big fan of Simon’s and owned his work according to Mrs. Katherine Jackson. She expressed that she too truly loves Simon’s creations and has several pieces in her personal collection. She felt that his initial concept for the tribute belt was a wonderful idea and said that she enjoyed the process of working with him creating and developing the belt design. She visited his factory and saw first-hand the high quality of work being done and the detailed workmanship of this staff. And, she approved and endorsed its final design. She noted that the belts are each handcrafted and made of the highest quality Swarovski Crystals, which Michael loved and a fitting honor to his memory. She believes that Michael would have loved the belts very much. And, she further acknowledged that she undertook this initiative with the idea of doing something special in memory of her son.

“It has been an honor and privilege to create this tribute to the legendary King of Pop, Michael Jackson,” expressed Tavassoli. “Working under the guidance and support of Mrs. Katherine Jackson was a once in a lifetime experience. There is a lot of symbolism in the piece. I wanted to express the essence that was Michael -- his music and dance. Michael was known for wearing elaborate costumes and the belts, in particular, he wore have become iconic.”

“This is a historic one-of-a-kind opportunity and fitting tribute to the legendary singer,” stated close Jackson family associate Jerry Olivarez. For those who love Michael Jackson and his music this is the ultimate keepsake.”

http://bbsimononline.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=10

Last edited:
I don't think that is the case, more like that company pays certain amount to the estate/belt.
Don't forget that they already made (design and all) those belts few years ago, and they were signed by MJ's kids.

Thanks for the info. I was talking about this "This unique and highly detailed quality work of art has been designed in cooperation with Mrs. Katherine Jackson"

Maybe is like you say, the company pays the estate & probably the company might give something to Katherine for the help on the design.

Some talent have the lady, designing belts, promoting tours, engaging children with the wrong people, flowers, books & now taking a company to court.

Thanks for the info. I was talking about this "This unique and highly detailed quality work of art has been designed in cooperation with Mrs. Katherine Jackson"

Maybe is like you say, the company pays the estate & probably the company might give something to Katherine for the help on the design.

Some talent have the lady, designing belts, promoting tours, engaging children with the wrong people, flowers, books & now taking a company to court.

I think the only input from Katherine's part was to get the kids to sign them.

I presume the estate is now getting their cut of any money made and is now giving these ppl permission to sell them inreturn.

duke sugarcoates everything in support of the family

myosotis;3800955 said:
I assume that 'bb simon' have paid the estate for use of Michael's image and name...

http://www.bbsimononline.com/

http://bbsimononline.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=10

I clicked your link and at the bottom of the page reads this bit
Purchase of the b.b. Simon Michael Jackson Tribute Belt is for personal use only. Neither the images or representations of Michael Jackson or the product design itself, or any part thereof may be incorporated or embodied into any other product or service.

©2013 Triumph International, Inc. under license from Bravado Merchandising. All rights reserved

I also clicked the MJ tribute belt tab and the gallery and this came up
http://bbsimononline.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=11

First of all $1,600.00 for no dang belt! From a website to boot. Reminds me of those jackets the brothers signed, like fans would come running.

@elusive, I agree. Can't trust Duke, he's too far up the Jackson's butt.

And it's down right funny that he now says that "this marks a better relationship between the estate and Jacksons." As if Randy, Janet, and Rebbie have had a change of heart regarding the executors and how the family should be in charge. LOL!

One question I do have is: where does Bravado Merchandising come in? I thought they were the ones who handle all MJ related merchandise.

Oh I see that item is back. So this means the estate stopped it; then the creators went to the estate and asked for permission; the estate said ok & you have to pay us X amount. Makes sense. Now let's see who would buy these tacky belts with children's scribbles on them.

The belt dispute was one of several between Michael Jackson's estate and members of his family that erupted in the year after the pop icon's death. The agreement suggests that nearly four years after his death there is a calmer relationship between them.
Who's he kidding? It's only calm as the jacksons are all over the aeg case. When that fails, their eyes will swivel back to the estate and more mayhem.

Back