MICHAEL JACKSON'S BROTHERS Doing Another Tribute Show But Without Randy

The way the brothers are using Michael to relaunch their careers is driving me crazy.:perrin

Even if they released like a great CD or did an amazing tribute, I would still hate it, just because of the way it's done.
Yeah, it just seems so shameless.

^^ Well, we know it's not global live.

Jackie says, 'As my brother was such a big icon in japan - and so were the Jacksons as well.'

I know the jacksons did a few concerts in japan in the 70s but didn't know they were considered icons there. i imagine, neither did the japanese.
always trying to compete with Michael, always trying to put themselves on the same level as him. What a friggin joke.

Yeah, it just seems so shameless.

It IS shameless.

https://twitter.com/#!/JackieJackson5
JackieJackson5 Jackie Jackson
We're back in rehearsals and I'm loving every second of it! :) We have such a great team with us on the road in #Japan, I'm truly blessed!
3 hours ago

Getting ready for more dance rehearsals with @ItsTravisPayne & Stacy!
1 Dec

Here's a hello from the rehearsal studio! I love you twitpic.com/7m9r1x
30 Nov

Dance rehearsals are in full swing!
28 Nov

I love you! Gotta go lovely ones, the band is waiting haha
25 Nov

Hello from the rehearsal studio! My daughter Brandi is here too she's filming us behind the scenes right now #prouddadtweet
25 Nov

Happy Monday Lovely Ones! I'm having so much fun working on the #Japan show with AI & my brothers
21 Nov

Yes we are! Can't wait to see u #Japan RT @JTJMMR_Jacksons: @JackieJackson5 Whats going on over there? Are you really to come here Japan?! )
14 Nov

https://twitter.com/#!/JackieJackson5

We're back in rehearsals and I'm loving every second of it! :) We have such a great team with us on the road in #Japan, I'm truly blessed!
3 hours ago

Getting ready for more dance rehearsals with @ItsTravisPayne & Stacy!
1 Dec

Here's a hello from the rehearsal studio! I love you twitpic.com/7m9r1x
30 Nov

Dance rehearsals are in full swing!
28 Nov

I love you! Gotta go lovely ones, the band is waiting haha
25 Nov

Hello from the rehearsal studio! My daughter Brandi is here too she's filming us behind the scenes right now #prouddadtweet
25 Nov

Happy Monday Lovely Ones! I'm having so much fun working on the #Japan show with AI & my brothers
21 Nov

Yes we are! Can't wait to see u #Japan RT @JTJMMR_Jacksons: @JackieJackson5 Whats going on over there? Are you really to come here Japan?! )
14 Nov

:fear:

This article looks like a conglomeration of earlier ones, but I think there is a little more information about the performers in the last paragraph or two.

Michael Jackson Tokyo Tribute Concert With Jacksons, AI, New Song Set For Next Week
December 07, 2011
By Rob Schwartz, Tokyo

As Michael Jackson's personal physician Conrad Murray appeals the verdict of involuntary manslaughter in the death of the pop superstar, his brothers, along with Japanese singer AI, prepare for two tribute shows in Japan.
The concerts at Yoyogi National Stadium in central Tokyo on Dec. 13 & 14 will feature Marlon, Tito and Jackie, original members of The Jackson 5, with Jermaine noticeably absent. The tribute performances will also showcase a host of Japanese stars.
Over a year in the making the shows are the result of a collaboration between Japanese R&B star AI, the Japanese cable TV station Music On TV, and the Jackson family. Originally AI, who was raised partially in LA and speaks English fluently, was hired by the music TV platform to interview the Jackson family for a documentary they were producing which led to the tribute idea.

AI explains to Billboard.Biz: "I was blessed to have the opportunity to interview people in Michael's life for Music On TV and because of that I met the people who offered me this great chance to collaborate on tribute shows. She adds, "Now the time has arrived! The whole project is a bit of shock and the fact the Jacksons themselves are willing take part is wonderful. I'm full of gratitude and emotion!"
AI is a hugely popular Japanese R&B singer. Though she has never had a No. 1 Japanese hit over her 11-year career in J-pop crazy Japan, in 2005 she made waves with the track "Story" (Universal Sigma), which was downloaded more than three million times. In 2010, she teamed up with J-pop queen Namie Amuro and scored a No. 5 hit on the Billboard Japan Hot 100 chart with "Fake" (Universal Sigma).
The rapport between the Jackson clan an AI developed immediately and all sides were eager to do something in Japan, as it was reportedly one of Michael's favorite countries. In addition to the tribute concerts the Jacksons and AI have composed a track, "Letter in the Sky" featuring The Jacksons. AI will release it on Dec. 14.
The song will be an added bonus for MJ fans in Japan, and a unique partnership between The Jacksons and a Japanese artist. AI relates, "I was astonished when the Jacksons said they wanted to record a theme song together for these shows. The lyrical concept we employed is that of a letter to Michael. We were blessed to be able to work with currently hot producer King David the Future."
AI was initially shy about working with the R&B legends but slowly a relationship developed. She notes, "I first met the brothers when I interviewed them and naturally I was nervous but since then we've collaborated on many things, in recording a song, discussing the tribute shows, and now on the rehearsals for those shows, so I feel close to them." AI adds. "I have only met Katherine twice, but through her children I can tell that she is a lovely person. The whole Jackson family is so wonderful."

Initially planned for October, the scheduling worked best in December and AI's Musical Director, the New York-born Kaleb James, will take the MD role for the tribute concerts. Explains James, "As MD I make all the music arrangements and consequently, decide the instrumentation song to song. I will lead the band for all the artists except the Jacksons themselves. Simply put, they're too busy to be here two or three weeks prior to the show and will therefore rehearse with another band in the states."

The shows will feature Americans Macy Gray and Judith Hill, as well as Japanese recording stars Crystal Kay (who is actually half African-American and half Korean), Jay'ed, Juju, and Tortoise Matsumoto. Despite missing the sizzle of stars like Beyonce and Christina Aguilera who appeared at a similar MJ tribute in Cardiff, Wales on October 8, the Tokyo shows promise to have a unique Japanese flavor.

Of the performances James notes, "Michael Jackson's songs are so closely tailored for him, the biggest challenge is arranging the song choices in ways that both allows the artists to vibe on their own without coming of like Michael Jackson impersonations. It would be very dismissive to change one of MJ's tunes into something unrecognizable just to make it easy on the guest artists but thankfully, they've all chosen classic tunes and seem ready to tackle them. I feel real good about the song list."

To round out the shows MJ's director of choreography for "This Is It" Travis Payne and dancers Kento Mori, and Yuko Sumida Jackson (no relation to the Jackson family), the only Japanese dancer to appear on stage with Michael, will perform the King of Pop's signature boogie moves.

James sums up, "For me, the best part of this whole thing is arranging these great songs as part of a genuine Michael Jackson celebration: His family, his choreographers, his various band members and myself all working on the same show. There's a clear vibe of love and admiration for his music at each rehearsal. It's such an honor to be a part of this."

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indu...n-tokyo-tribute-concert-with-1005625752.story

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/fm20111209r1.html
Jackie, Marlon and Tito join J-pop's AI in celebrating a legend
Jackson brothers to visit Michael's 'second home'

By ROBERT MICHAEL POOLE
Special to The Japan Times

"Immortal," the new Michael Jackson-themed Cirque du Soleil show touring North America may sound grandiose but the self-proclaimed "King of Pop" was undoubtedly a larger-than-life character. While immortality was out of Jackson's reach, the singer's family are doing their best to keep his memory alive with musical extravaganzas.

fm20111209r1a.jpg

There's no place like a second home: As a part of a tribute to Michael Jackson, the late superstar's brothers (from left) Marlon, Jackie and Tito Jackson joined Japanese singer AI (in front) to record a song titled "Letter in the Sky feat. The Jacksons" for a pair of tribute concerts being held in Tokyo on Dec. 13 and 14. The concerts are set to feature performances by the three Jackson brothers, AI, Macy Gray, Crystal Kay, Juju and many more musicians and dancers.

Two "Michael Jackson Tribute Live" concerts will take place Dec. 13 and 14 at Yoyogi National Stadium in Tokyo. The event is the culmination of a year of preparation for the second memorial of its kind following the one in Cardiff, Wales, on Oct. 8. That show saw major acts such as Beyoncé, Christina Aguilera and even Jackson's children come together to pay tribute to the singer, who died on June 25, 2009.

Unfortunately, Jackson's three children will not be attending the Tokyo concerts, but a slew of other acts from here and abroad will. They include: U.S. singer Macy Gray, J-pop stars Crystal Kay and Juju, singer Tortoise Matsumoto and many more. But more importantly for Jackson fans, three of the superstar's brothers — Jackie, Marlon and Tito — are on the bill.

Speaking to The Japan Times from his Los Angeles home just prior to rehearsals for the upcoming shows, Jackie Jackson explained that it was only natural to organize the second tribute event in Japan.

"Japan has been very supportive of my family over the years so it feels like a second home to us just as it did for Michael," he said.

Jackie, the eldest of the Jackson sons at 60, was a member of The Jackson 5. That group was an R&B phenomenon during the 1970s and also included brothers Tito, Jermaine, Marlon, Michael and, later on, Randy.

"We were kids starting out, so all we wanted to do was make something that was fun, to have a good time with, and hopefully have hit records," said Jackie, who was the high tenor of the group. "The music stretched around the world in a broad way and we were able to catch fans who happened to like what we were doing. We are very happy and thankful that people liked our music that way."

One of those fans is Youichi Endo, an executive from Music On! TV. In fact, if it weren't for him, this whole tribute might not have happened. In 2010, Endo took fellow superfan Ai Uemura, better known in Japan as pop singer AI, to Los Angeles as part of a Music On! TV program. In that show, AI interviewed the Jackson family and the team behind the abandoned "This Is It" series of concerts that were to be held in London and were billed as Michael's comeback performances.

"Michael was extremely sensitive about everything," says Endo, reflecting on what could have been a string of remarkable performances. "I assume he had to hide his own feelings when he communicated with others. That's why he could explode with emotion on stage or in recordings, which were so powerful."

AI developed such a rapport with the family that Michael's mother, Katherine, wrote her a letter to show her appreciation of AI's love for Michael and his music. AI returned a letter to Katherine, which began an exchange that eventually led to the announcement of the Tokyo tribute shows.

"Naturally, I was nervous when I first met them," AI says of meeting the famous family. "It was totally unexpected that they would participate in the show and I'm full of gratitude toward them. The whole family has been wonderful."

The path wasn't completely smooth, though. Jermaine Jackson posted on his website that the show wouldn't happen. Jermaine and younger brother Randy also voiced concerns about the show in Cardiff as well, saying the concert was "ill-timed" as it took place during the criminal trial of Conrad Murray, Michael's doctor who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the singer's death. Though that trial is now over (Murray has filed an appeal), Jermaine and Randy still will not take part in the Tokyo event.

While those shows were still up in the air, AI went in the studio to record a new song with the three brothers who remained committed to the shows. The result, "Letter in the Sky feat. The Jacksons," is set to be released on Dec. 14, the second day of "Michael Jackson Tribute Live" in Tokyo.

"We had a wonderful time," Jackie said of the recording. "It was the first time we've ever rolled cameras in a studio at the same time as doing the vocals — like a reality (TV) show. Right after that, we shot (the rest of) the music video on the same day, so the spirit in the room was great."

Conceived as a theme song to the tribute shows and co-composed by the Jackson brothers, AI describes the piece as "rather than being a sad song, we took the lyrical concept of writing a letter to Michael and then backed it with an uplifting melody."

Though the global star power of the singers set to appear at the Tokyo event doesn't match that of the Cardiff show, the lineup puts more focus on Michael's impact on the world of dance and will include lengthy dance elements. Dancers Kento Mori and Yuko Sumida Jackson (no relation to Michael), as well as "This Is It" choreographers Travis Payne and Stacy Walker, are all scheduled to appear.

Also from "This Is It" will be singer Judith Hill, who is of half-Japanese decent. Her and Macy Gray, a singer-songwriter who first came to worldwide attention in 1999 with her distinctive raspy voice on songs such as "Do Something" and "I Try," are the sole international acts on the bill.

Besides the large role expected to be played by AI, other Japanese stars of note include pioneering interracial Japanese singer Crystal Kay. She credits Michael as the inspiration for her own career, fondly recalling listening to the Jackson 5 hit "ABC" as a child.

"I love Michael despite all of those things people say about him," Kay says. "(He's why) I became a singer."

Kay hopes that if the audience is able to take away a message from the tribute event, it will be that "Michael and his music will forever be in our hearts."

It's a sentiment shared by Jackie.

"I want the audience to realize the type of person Michael was," Jackie said, referring to his brother's generosity. "We hope they walk away feeling the magic and Michael's presence."

In terms of finding that presence within the show, Jackie is confident.

"We all pretty much know what to do when it comes to Michael's spirit," he said. "He was part of us and was in this group, so his spirit is in the room with us wherever we go. He was with us in Cardiff and he will be with us in Japan. We feel it."

The show also includes a charity element to help raise funds for victims of the Great East Japan Earthquake on March 11. All profits from the merchandise, including T-shirts, towels and gloves, will be donated to projects such as a fund for scholarships for those orphaned by the disaster.

"We were devastated by the tragedy," Jackie said. "I know lots of people lost homes and children were left without parents and family, so we can't wait to go and see the youth centers and hospitals and extend our love to them. Hopefully we can bring some of them to the concert."

"Michael Jackson Tribute Live" will be followed by an after-party at the opulent Shangri-La Hotel in Tokyo, organized by luxury magazine Pavone. Various DJ and live-music performances are planned as well as a mini-exhibition by American Apparel and sponsored booths by Ray Ban and Tom Ford. Tickets are ¥15,000 each and are available only via a fax application from the Pavone website.

"This might be the last tribute show for a while," said Jackie, who then hinted that the family estate may yet also approve one in Los Angeles. He added that the Jacksons are hoping to organize a full East Asia tour further down the line, together with AI, playing throughout Japan and China.

Trying to match the power and emotion of an actual Michael Jackson concert will be quite a feat, especially considering Japan was tagged as the pop star's second home because of the fans here. Endo agrees that it will be difficult to live up to the superstar's reputation, and that he still can't quite put his finger on how to recreate the singer's magic.

"I've listened to Michael's music at least 100 times," Endo says, "but I'm still looking for the answer."

"Michael Jackson Tribute Live" takes place at Yoyogi National Stadium on Dec. 13 and 14 (7 p.m.; ¥11,000). For information, call (0570) 064-708 or visit www.mjtribute.jp.

Thanks for posting this. One thing though: Why are they telling these people MJ's Estate is the "Jackson's Estate"? Delusional much. Ask Branca, and read the WILL and weep...that ESTATE is PPB's, not the "Familys Estate". Too many grown, lazy asses still riding on the back of their dead brother-where is their PRIDE...I'd rather work for my own on MY merit, NOT my brothers.

Thanks for posting this. One thing though: Why are they telling these people MJ's Estate is the "Jackson's Estate"? Delusional much. Ask Branca, and read the WILL and weep...that ESTATE is PPB's, not the "Familys Estate". Too many grown, lazy asses still riding on the back of their dead brother-where is their PRIDE...I'd rather work for my own on MY merit, NOT my brothers.

Where exactly it is in the article? They might mean "family estate" because the Estate funds "family trust". Meaning PPB and Katherine by "family". And this was not a direct quote, unless I missed something.

Where exactly it is in the article? They might mean :scratch:. Meaning PPB and Katherine by "family". And this was not a direct quote, unless I missed something.

:hysterical:

try again:

They probably meant the family which means family which is family estate which is by extension the family estate.

leigh2_edit.jpg

Another great post Annie...one can assume the Jack$on$ have been misleading people into thinking they own the rights to MJ's name. It's not a quote but it isn't the first time it is insinuated the family =estate.

These grown ass men are just pathetic...feeding off their dead brother's corpse. No wonder MJ left these parasites behind. Their dead weight was dragging the poor guy down.

Last edited:
^^Justnat, they used the term 'family estate' when jackie was saying they were hoping for approval for a los angeles tribute. I'm actually thinking they might mean the mj estate. When has the family needed approval for any of their tributes - they just collect the cheque and go! I wonder if they just continually bombard the executors with requests for tributes, jackets, whatnots, etc etc. Whatever fee branca and mcclain get from the estate, they deserve double for dealing with mj's relatives.

Exactly Meme! Boy...I tell ya lol. When you try to poke holes, make sure it isn't into cement. Isn't the first time they told people THEY were MJ's Estate-check the Jackson Museum biz, and those belt deals, not to mention, Joe Jackson saying the ESTATE can't tell him what to do with MJ's name etc. He was dead WRONG-they shut his ass down! LOL. I swear, a reality check is hard to swallow for some.

ITA with your second part completely! Whole family was a sack of parasites feasting on one HOST=MJ. Not a one of these new "stars" tried to help MJ when he became financially unstable...instead, they held their hands out for more and even sold stories to the tabloids on this man. All ye a little faith?-Hell naw!

:hysterical:

try again:

They probably meant the family which means family which is family estate which is by extension the family estate.

leigh2_edit.jpg

Another great post Annie...one can assume the Jack$on$ have been misleading people into thinking they own the rights to MJ's name. It's not a quote but it isn't the first time it is insinuated the family =estate.

These grown ass men are just pathetic...feeding off their dead brother's corpse. No wonder MJ left these parasites behind. Their dead weight was dragging the poor guy down.

"We all pretty much know what to do when it comes to Michael's spirit," he said. "He was part of us and was in this group, so his spirit is in the room with us wherever we go. He was with us in Cardiff and he will be with us in Japan. We feel it."

Oh no he was'nt! Michael was probably screaming at that farce of a tribute.

His spirit is the nearest thing they got to being near mj in the last ten years! if he didnt want to be around them in life u think hes gonna start now lol. talk about deluded fools on so many levels

Oh no he was'nt! Michael was probably screaming at that farce of a tribute.

Lol, if they felt his spirit in anyway in Cardiff, it was probably because he was watching over his kids and cursing his family at the same time for using his children and his name.

It is odd that jermaine isn't in on this concert as it seems like the type of thing he'd want to do, esp with his mum travelling out to see them perform. Maybe he's still sore at all his siblings not supporting him in vienna. Wonder if he'll answer the question in the xmas q and a.

Edit - just noticed another thread saying that in-demand jermaine is performing in london, so he would be double-booked!

Last edited:
See they did not need that stinky father of there's protecting them they enjoy there lives now because they were not enjoying it before June 25 2009.

Looks like Crystal Kay is getting ready for the tribute. She tweeted about it 28 minutes ago. This whole thing is unfortunate. Crystal is talented and I'm a fan but I wish that if she were involved in a tribute it would be an official one.

http://bcove.me/l0bhxmzh Katherine video

"they do a lot of things that they didn't do before so they are enjoying life" Katherine about MJ's kids.
letting kids that age run wild and do whatever they want, isn't exactly ''parenting''.
Katherine should say this to Michael's children, who till this day maintain that their dad raised them the right way.

Last edited:
All young teens are happy when they are allowed to do whatever they want.

What katherine means is thay now we can use the kids to make money for the rest of the family. sickening that his own mother implies the kids are happy etc. have they ever talked about how upset the kids are how murray destroyed the kids life. no its all about happy and well they are now they have normal livesgood ole jackson denial. the only thinh those kids do now diff than before is get paraded and exploited by grandma for the good of the rest of the family

Last edited:
Back