Michael Jackson's former chef talks about foods he liked to eat (People magazine)

barbee0715

Proud Member
Michael has always been rail thin, but I always noticed how much thinner he got between 'Off the Wall' promos and tours and the "Thriller" promos-especially noticed it on Motown 25. I knew he had become a vegetarian but with this new release of "Say, Say, Say" I just realized it was Paul and Linda who got him hooked on being a vegetarian. So that would confirm the timing.

I thought this article was kinda funny-a vegetarian who didn't like vegetables-but actually, I think by this time, Michael didn't really like eating at all. :)

This is from People magazine and then copied by the Daily Mail. For some reason, I could not copy over the People version.

Michael Jackson’s quirky diet revealed: King Of Pop’s former chef says he loved eggplant pizza and sugarless candy

By DAILYMAIL.COM REPORTER
PUBLISHED: 20:33 EST, 28 August 2015 | UPDATED: 21:09 EST, 28 August 2015
264shares
View comments​

The famed pop star Michael Jackson had some rather odd tastes when it came to his diet, according to his former personal chef.
In an interview with People, posted one day before what would've been Jackson's 57th birthday on Saturday, the performing legend's chef Mani Niall revealed that when it came to his food, Jackson was very peculiar.
He described The Gloved One as 'a vegetarian who didn’t like vegetables.'
2BC09F7100000578-3214807-image-a-27_1440803786077.jpg

+4

Wanna be eatin' somethin': The famed pop star Michael Jackson had some rather odd tastes when it came to his diet, according to his former personal chef Mani Niall

Among other dietary quirks, the moon-walker 'liked pizza, but he didn’t like pasta,' and 'had a major sweet tooth, but he didn’t eat sugar and didn’t like chocolate.'
Obviously these could've been major roadblocks to satisfying the superstar, but Chef Niall found some culinary hits for the hit-maker.
More exotic dishes such as Mexican spicy smoked red chile enchiladas and grilled tofu shish kebabs with couscous and Moroccan sauce were beloved by the singer.
2BC09F6400000578-3214807-image-m-31_1440803926920.jpg

+4

Smooth criminal: The wily chef Niall had some tricks up his sleeve to make sure Jackson got all the nutrients and fuel he needed

The wily chef also had some tricks up his sleeve to make sure Jackson got all the nutrients and fuel he needed to keep up with his epic tour schedules.
Niall would use Japanese eggplant and shiitake mushrooms as toppings on pizza to 'disguise' the vegetables, and use maple syrup instead of sugar for baking cookies.
While MJ was busy on stage and with rehearsals, Niall would have to anticipate his needs quickly.
2BC09F8D00000578-3214807-image-m-32_1440803948865.jpg

+4

Thrilled: Niall would use Japanese eggplant and shiitake mushrooms as toppings on pizza to 'disguise' the vegetables and use maple syrup instead of sugar for baking cookies

2BC074EE00000578-3214807-image-a-26_1440802715221.jpg

• SHARE PICTURE

+4

You are not alone: While the King Of Pop's schedule and very particular diet were demanding, Niall still remembers him fondly

“He was the type of person who could just go, go, go for hours without eating, and then be famished,” recalled Niall.
While the King Of Pop's schedule and very particular diet were demanding, Niall still remembered him fondly.
The accomplished chef now owns his own restaurant in Oakland, California called Sweet Bar Bakery, and is serving several of Mike's dishes to commemorate the late singer's upcoming birthday on Saturday.
On June 25, 2009, Michael died at age 50 at his home in Holmby Hills, California, reportedly of acute propofol and benzodiazepine intoxication after suffering from cardiac arrest.
Read more:
Michael Jackson's Former Personal Chef Dishes on His Eating Habits - Great Ideas : People.com

Last edited:
Everything is 'odd' and 'strange' when it comes to Michael. I bet his food tastes changed over the years because I remember a radio interview interview he gave when Halloween was around the corner in 2003 to premiere What More Can I Give and the radio host asked him what kind of candies he liked and he replied milk chocolate, something along the lines and in that article it says Michael didn't like chocolate.

Michael loved chocolate and he liked pasta too.

One minute people are saying that Michael was a vegetarian, and then the next minute they're saying that he loved KFC. So, which one is it?

I think he was a vegetarian probably only occasionally.

barbee0715;4112024 said:
Michael has always been rail thin, but I always noticed how much thinner he got between 'Off the Wall' promos and tours and the "Thriller" promos-especially noticed it on Motown 25. I knew he had become a vegetarian but with this new release of "Say, Say, Say" I just realized it was Paul and Linda who got him hooked on being a vegetarian. So that would confirm the timing.

I think he opted for that diet change of his own accord, & not necessarily because he was forced by others to do it. He just wanted to look & live better.

“When I first became well known, I had a lot of baby fat and a very round, chubby face. That roundness stayed with me until several years ago when I changed my diet and stopped eating beef, chicken, pork, and fish, as well as certain flattening foods. I just wanted to look better, live better and be healthier.” (Moonwalk)

It seems that after that diet change he eventually became a (strict) vegetarian:

“I like Mexican food very much. I’m a vegetarian, so fortunately fresh fruits and vegetables are a favourite of mine.” (Moonwalk)

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;4112026 said:
Everything is 'odd' and 'strange' when it comes to Michael.

mj_frenzy;4112195 said:
“I like Mexican food very much. I’m a vegetarian, so fortunately fresh fruits and vegetables are a favourite of mine.” (Moonwalk)

This just in. Michael Jackson eats food.

One minute people are saying that Michael was a vegetarian, and then the next minute they're saying that he loved KFC. So, which one is it?
I think he was a vegetarian who couldn't resist KFC! You have to have at least one vice. :)

This just in. Michael Jackson eats food.

There are numerous stories from staff that worked with him (for example, during various recording sessions) that MJ used to have each day customized meals prepared by his personal chef.

There are numerous stories from staff that worked with him (for example, during various recording sessions) that MJ used to have each day customized meals prepared by his personal chef.

If I had a personal chef I'd get them to personalize my meals too.

This just in. I eat food.

It's hard what to believe here, like anything else about Michael's personal tastes, it has to be taken with a grain of salt. The source is the Daily Mail, one of the UK's very worst tabloid papers and one that was quick to spill all the gossip rumours and embellish the strange and weird fact file on Michael Jackson. As far as I am concerned, what he ate was his business and as long as it was not live whales, fish or anything really cruel, I don't really mind what.

I would say most of his life, he eat very healthily and probably needed to, so he could stay in shape for all the dancing, singing and performing. To sound that good, you have to feel that good. If you ask me, up to the last few years when he was addicted to painkillers, I think Michael was very smart and aware of what his body could and could not take. I would say he watched his diet very carefully and it was known he was very careful about what his children ate. Sorry to say, but prince seems to have puffed up quite a bit since his father's death, and I know MJ would not like that.

Apart from the Painkillers and drugs at the end, Michael did not absue his body with alcohol or marijuana and hard drugs like Cocaine or heroin and I always respected that from him. He was a positive "Drugs are wack" role model for me in the 80s and 90s.

Apart from the Painkillers and drugs at the end, Michael did not absue his body with alcohol or marijuana and hard drugs like Cocaine or heroin and I always respected that from him. He was a positive "Drugs are wack" role model for me in the 80s and 90s

I don't see the difference (or the point ) in making the distinction between legal and illegal drugs; propofol is legal and deadly, more dangerous than weed. Misusing any narcotic (legal and not) is playing with fire. Mike doesn't get brownie points for seeking rehab for legal drugs as opposed to someone that abused crack, etc.

mjprince1976;4112607 said:
It's hard what to believe here, like anything else about Michael's personal tastes, it has to be taken with a grain of salt. The source is the Daily Mail, one of the UK's very worst tabloid papers and one that was quick to spill all the gossip rumours and embellish the strange and weird fact file on Michael Jackson. As far as I am concerned, what he ate was his business and as long as it was not live whales, fish or anything really cruel, I don't really mind what.

In my opinion, all those stories about his so-called ‘bizarre’, ‘weird’ or ‘quirky’ diet habits are too exaggerated, to say the least.

It goes without saying that the ‘Daily Mail’ could not have been an exception to this rule.

^^Please note that the source of this story was not the Daily Mail. It was People mag.
(Which can be at times fairly tabloidy).
I could not copy over the People one so I had to copy the Dm one-they were the same.
There's nothing bad here.
All of his chefs going back to Victory tour have talked about him being a vegetarian and how much he loved cheese enchiladas.

This one just had some fun detail.

Hey I know Michael liked eating KFC.... Can I write a book or get a spot in a magazine too?

Just sayin' I know stuff too. lol

I remember hearing that one of Michael's doctors advised him to add chicken and fish to his diet. I guess KFC counts on his diet. Plus he also loves Indian food as well. You know, the maple syrup instead of sugar for cookies sounded like a good idea to me.

Mmmmmm....KFC
homer-drool.gif

Hey I know Michael liked eating KFC.... Can I write a book or get a spot in a magazine too?

Just sayin' I know stuff too. lol
This discussion reminds me of a Mike quote from decades back (and included in the book, "Michael Jackson Inc"). He spoke of how some fans would forget he was human, asking him if he used the bathroom... LMFAO, what the hell?!

Back