Michael Jackson’s Money Man Also Has Sony/ATV Side Gig

I asked what, specifically (and hypothetically), might a role for Branca be that would be a disadvantage to the estate? Anything? WHAT might that be? He gets revenue from the estate in a percentage of their profits. The more profit made by the estate, the more revenue for Branca. For what possible reason would he do something that did not benefit the estate (and also himself)?

^ok. I'm on wiki leaks now, actually. So far I'm finding memos about terms, bonuses, expenses. Nothing about the job itself.

If I (or anyone else find something maybe we can start a separate thread in the Trials section.)

This is the job:
Services -- Provide senior level advice as a non-employee consultant to [TBC -- the CEO and the Board] on matters related to [the music publishing business, artist development and relationships, and other matters of importance to current and future business of Sony/ATV].

I asked what, specifically (and hypothetically), might a role for Branca be that would be a disadvantage to the estate? Anything? WHAT might that be? He gets revenue from the estate in a percentage of their profits. The more profit made by the estate, the more revenue for Branca. For what possible reason would he do something that did not benefit the estate (and also himself)?

Conspiracy theorists wants Branca to give up all of his other representations (clients) and work 24/7 for free for MJ's estate:cheeky:

As far as I know, Branca don't get any revenue from profits that were in place when MJ died, only from new deals that he is involved? Maybe Ivy can confirm this, but I think that was the deal.

Edited to add, I found the article about executors earnings regarding estate:
http://www.ew.com/article/2011/12/20/michael-jackson-estate

So they don't get money from ATV catalogue, earnings from TII or MJ's music.

Last edited:
Conspiracy theorists wants Branca to give up all of his other representations (clients) and work 24/7 for free for MJ's estate:cheeky:

It's not even that. For some people anything related to Sony is a conflict of interest. They see Sony and MJ at opposite ends. However they forget that Sony/ATV is a 50-50 partnership between Sony and Estate. In other words when Sony/ATV makes money, Sony makes money, Estate makes money.

Conflict of interest happens when parties have -well - conflicting interests. Such as the same law firm representing both sides at a trial could be a conflict of interest as only one side could win. However in a partnership situation, partners have the same interest (company making money) and they share the profit (or loss). So unless someone can tell us a scenario of how in a partnership situation one partner make money at the expense of other partner, it's hard to argue conflict of interest.

Bubs-thank you for the job description. I saw that but it didn't seem worrisome.
And anything related to Sony is a conflict?? As co-owners, they should be very involved!!

Well, so far I see no conspiracy at all:scratch:

Has anyone read those wikileak emails?
Check this one out
https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/117952
I did see John Branca in Las Vegas following our meeting and told him of your interest in being an investor as Sony Corp in the Michael Jackson Broadway Play.

Is there going to be new play about MJ or what?

Damn, if they are not going to stop these email leaks, they should at least leak something useful, such as what projects are on the way.

Well, so far I see no conspiracy at all:scratch:

Has anyone read those wikileak emails?
Check this one out
https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/117952
I did see John Branca in Las Vegas following our meeting and told him of your interest in being an investor as Sony Corp in the Michael Jackson Broadway Play.

Is there going to be new play about MJ or what?

Damn, if they are not going to stop these email leaks, they should at least leak something useful, such as what projects are on the way.
haha. I saw that one too, but no detail!! Thought maybe a show based on Michael's music? I know they have a new show based on Soul Train in the works so think they're striking while the "Motown Musical" is hot.
Wish they'd put "Thriller Live" on Broadway.

haha. I saw that one too, but no detail!! Thought maybe a show based on Michael's music? I know they have a new show based on Soul Train in the works so think they're striking while the "Motown Musical" is hot.
Wish they'd put "Thriller Live" on Broadway.

Maybe thats why the estate are logger heads with Thriller live people (or used to be) because they want to put out their own show? Anyways, having seen Thriller live, so TL or similar on Broadway would be great.

Anyways, having seen Thriller live, so TL or similar on Broadway would be great.
Have you really? Wow. Everything I read or see about the show sounds so good. I wish it would tour the States.
I think something like that would be much better than a bio-musical. Too soon for that. I don't think there will be a time for that.

It's not even that. For some people anything related to Sony is a conflict of interest. They see Sony and MJ at opposite ends. However they forget that Sony/ATV is a 50-50 partnership between Sony and Estate. In other words when Sony/ATV makes money, Sony makes money, Estate makes money.

Conflict of interest happens when parties have -well - conflicting interests. Such as the same law firm representing both sides at a trial could be a conflict of interest as only one side could win. However in a partnership situation, partners have the same interest (company making money) and they share the profit (or loss). So unless someone can tell us a scenario of how in a partnership situation one partner make money at the expense of other partner, it's hard to argue conflict of interest.

EXACTLY. Without a hypothetical example of HOW Branca's consulting for Sony, and management of the estate, are in conflict, there really is not much more to discuss in this conversational side-bar? Another example of a conflict of interest would be -- if an artist's manager were also employed by the company with which the artist was negotiating (record deal, tour, etc.) In that case, the manager would be expected to advocate for the ARTIST'S interests, while the company would be motivated to try to keep costs low and maximize profits. So yes, THAT would be a conflict, but that is not the situation here.

AutumnII, I understand your question however; as I stated, if you have no knowledge of what his service would actually entail, you would not know what is accurate and what is false in my reply.

Bubs;4086785 said:
This is the job:
Services -- Provide senior level advice as a non-employee consultant to [TBC -- the CEO and the Board] on matters related to [the music publishing business, artist development and relationships, and other matters of importance to current and future business of Sony/ATV].

Bubs, it is not that simple. Any idea why Sony would solicit Branca’s advice outside of his role on the Sony/ATV catalog board that may conflict with his role as a co-executor of the Estate?

ivy;4086794 said:
So unless someone can tell us a scenario of how in a partnership situation one partner make money at the expense of other partner, it's hard to argue conflict of interest.

Autumn II;4086824 said:
Without a hypothetical example of HOW Branca's consulting for Sony, and management of the estate, are in conflict, there really is not much more to discuss in this conversational side-bar?

There is no need for anyone to give a hypothetical scenario when one can read the emails themselves and review the actual scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
AutumnII, I understand your question however; as I stated, if you have no knowledge of what his service would actually entail, you would not know what is accurate and what is false in my reply.

Actually, that was not my question. The question was, can YOU think of any HYPOTHETICAL situation -- at all -- where the consulting work would be detrimental to the estate? Your answer wouldn't be "accurate or false," because it would address ANY situation at all where you could imagine that work would be a conflict of interest. So either you can think of a scenario that would be a conflict, or -- not. I think I've made my point, anyway. Moving right along. . . .

There is no need for anyone to give a hypothetical scenario when one can read the emails themselves and review the actual scenario.

First of all you know that you have been repeatedly asked to provide a link to what you have been talking about and refuse to do so. I would say that you are hindering people from reading whatever you are talking about. Secondly you can easily provide the alleged conflict of interest and assuming you are right you can shut people up. Until then it's understandable that people express skepticism. Your call.

ps: you cannot blame people for not knowing what you are refusing to tell.

Last edited:
Well, Tygger, I used Ivy's link to wiki leaks and read a ton of emails including all the ones that were posted here directly.
And I'm not seeing anything in the catalog consulting job with Sony that would interfere with the executor job.
He's consulting for the catalog arm and as executor he's charged with preserving and growing the assets (catalog).
I need somebody to point out the conflict of interest.

Well, Tygger, I used Ivy's link to wiki leaks and read a ton of emails including all the ones that were posted here directly.
And I'm not seeing anything in the catalog consulting job with Sony that would interfere with the executor job.
He's consulting for the catalog arm and as executor he's charged with preserving and growing the assets (catalog).
I need somebody to point out the conflict of interest.

If your starting point is that MJ's Will is fake etc...., then you might find conspiracy and conflict of interest in everything Branca does.
This is interesting interview of what Branca does:
https://steveleeds.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/john-branca-qa/

and here is link to his own site and what he does
http://www.johnbranca.com/artist-representation/

He has extensive knowledge of music business and does consulting to various people and companies, thats what he does for living, and MJ's estate is not the only work he does. Some people would like to see that Branca should work only for the estate (and some people prefers is he doesn't work for the estate at all), and if there is other work on the side, it is considered conflict of interest. It is just these people have no knowledge of show business at all, thus everything is conspiracy and conflict.

Barbee0715, I read the emails that were in OnirMJ’s link (which included Respect77’s link). I have not cross-referenced those emails to the WikiLeaks’ database however; I will assume the same emails are present. I said at that time of OnirMJ’s posting of the link that many in the online community were aware of those links originally posted on Twitter. I also said it was up to each online forum to decide if those emails will be discussed openly or not. It was a decision for moderators at MJJC at that time and it continues to be a decision for MJJC moderators because of the nature of those emails.

I am unsure of what and how much you have read. If you were to post a summary of what you read, I would be interested in reading the summary.

Last edited by a moderator:
allow me to clarify something : The discussion will continue - we rarely close threads, the derailing won't. So there's no intention of closing this thread anytime soon but don't be surprised if absurd side topic gets cleaned.

Last edited:
First of all you know that you have been repeatedly asked to provide a link to what you have been talking about and refuse to do so. I would say that you are hindering people from reading whatever you are talking about. Secondly you can easily provide the alleged conflict of interest and assuming you are right you can shut people up. Until then it's understandable that people express skepticism. Your call.

ps: you cannot blame people for not knowing what you are refusing to tell.

No need; you posted the link on the first page of the thread. Great job!

@ Tygger, why do you keep dancing around the topic? Several people have asked you to explain your statements below yet you refuse to do so.

Tygger;4086471 said:
Anyone who has read Sony’s email leaks would know the consultant/adviser role Branca requested at the surprise of Sony is described incorrectly in this article.

Tygger;4086562 said:
The conflict appears in the consultant role he requested, not his role as a member of the Sony/ATV board.

What is the correct description of Branca's role according to you? How does his consultant role lead to a conflict of interest?

Chain of emails about John Branca proposing himself to Sony to work for Sony as Sony/ATV Advisor while being the Estate executor

1) Re December - Joel Katz and Michael Lynton Talking About Meeting About John Branca (December 17, 2013 202 PM) https://www.scribd.com/doc/25361756...ing-About-John-Branca-December-17-2013-202-PM

2) Re John Branca - SonyATV - Joel Katz and Michael Lynton Talking About Meeting About John Branca (January 13, 2014 712 PM) https://www.scribd.com/doc/25361863...ting-About-John-Branca-January-13-2014-712-PM

3) Re SonyATV Advisor(March 27, 2014 1114 AM).converted_2015-01-24-14-04-45

https://www.scribd.com/doc/25361956...27-2014-1114-AM-converted-2015-01-24-14-04-45

https://www.scribd.com/doc/253630460/Re-John-Branca-SonyATV

4) Re SonyATV Advisor (March 27, 2014 1134 AM) https://www.scribd.com/doc/253619665/4-Re-SonyATV-Advisor-March-27-2014-1134-AM

5) Re John Branca Agreement With SonyATV(March 31, 2014 1105 AM).Converted_2015-01!24!14!04!32 https://www.scribd.com/doc/25361974...31-2014-1105-AM-Converted-2015-01-24-14-04-32

6) Fwd John Branca Agreement With SonyATV(March 31, 2014 1106 AM).Converted_2015-01!24!14!04!13 https://www.scribd.com/doc/25361985...31-2014-1106-AM-Converted-2015-01-24-14-04-13

7) 2014-John Branca ‘s job as Sony/ATV advisor for Sony while being Executor of the Estate-part 7

https://t.co/tJzpmME9u2

8) 2014-John Branca ‘s job as Sony/ATV advisor for Sony while being Executor of the Estate-part8

https://t.co/JTFk1e0IVM

9) 2014-John Branca ‘s job as Sony/ATV advisor for Sony while being Executor of the Estate-part9

https://t.co/ikfhTuiiWE

John Branca has offered his service to sony and he gets paid to advise Sony in Sony/atv while being MJ Estate 's executor.

It is a fact that Branca is in conflict of interest and that is why sony was looking for words about who Branca should report to , having difficulties to make a "legal" sense out of it !

Branca has offered his service to sony for money to represent Sony 's interests in sony/atv!

represent Sony 's interests in sony/atv!

you neither understand partnership nor how the catalog works. Catalog earns money and sony and estate divides the profits among themselves. There isn't a part that's Sony's and another part that's Estate's.

ps: if you are a previously banned user creating a new account, this new account would get banned too.

"Partnership"? Do you mean benefit Sony at the expense of MJ and his beneficiaries (like cutting the price for sony for buying this is it rights)?

The deal and the job talks about branca representing Sony in sony/atv And branca has fiduciary duties toward Sony !
Obviously there are 2 sides and Branca gets paid to represent sony's side!

Since branca is the executor that owns MJ and "he is mj" in Sony/atv, branca has fiduciary duties toward MJ and branca is in conflict of interest by offering his service to Sony, working for sony, having fiduciary duties toward Sony, at the same time!!

You can ban ppl and damaging truth in this forum but not in other Forums!

Sony and the Estate are not adversarial, because the goals are the same, and both benefit. The goals are to grow wealth and generate an income stream. It would make no sense for Sony to do something that would DECREASE the wealth and income-stream from ATV or other mutual projects, for themselves and necessarily, for the Estate as well. Here is an analogy. I have a friend who has a business partner, for the purpose of purchasing properties and gaining an income stream from property leases. Let's say, person X and person Y. Person X does not own SOME houses and condos, and person Y owns different houses and condos. They are co-owned, as is Sony/ATV. These partners discuss and negotiate, for their mutual benefit, and make decisions together about leasing amounts, and whether to sell a house or condo, and/or invest in a new house or condo. The assets are TOGETHER, and both profit if their mutual decisions are sound. Because Branca does work and brings benefit to Sony as well as the Estate, it makes sense for him to be paid by Sony for those efforts that benefit Sony (and the Estate benefits as well). The Estate does not own "part" of Sony/ATV, and Sony owns the other part. These are assets that benefit BOTH. Sony was/is Michael's record label, and I'm sure that there is other income that generates wealth for BOTH Sony and the Estate.

(edit). Branca makes a percentage of the revenues of the Estate, so it's to his advantage to nurture and promote the Estate. He makes a salary for consulting with Sony, which I assume compensates him for the work he does that benefits Sony (and necessarily, also the Estate). He does not make a percentage of Sony's profits. This is a PARTNERSHIP, not a conflict.

Last edited:
Allow me to assist you ForMJ:

You may have seen the tweets from B.Marco on Twitter. He is correctly listing a string of tweets that discuss the hiring of Branca as a consultant for Sony and how Sony feared that consultant role may pose a conflict of interest for Branca as an executor of the MJ Estate. That string of tweets discussed the drafting of a consulting contract but, it does not detail what that consultant role entails and one has to look to other emails for that information.

I noticed that it is quite difficult to locate certain subjects and emails/documents in WikiLeaks' database; particularly before late 2013. Information on the sale of MiJac in 2009 is an example. The discussion of the TII deal and the discounted price as you mentioned in 2009 is another. Such emails were already posted on Twitter at least two months ago by B.Marco and on another forum that some members here are members of as well and have commented in those threads. Without those emails that do no seem to be in WikiLeaks' database, it is quite difficult for readers to put the puzzle pieces together as they say. I beleive that was the issue for the author of the article in the opening post. Those emails do not necessary name Branca specifically but, discussed the situation that Sony often links Branca’s name to. That situation was the sale of the Sony/ATV catalog.

Unfortunately, I am not able to post the appropriate links at this moment because several links have to be listed to explain the situation accurately.

^^
Understood however; I hope he read my post.

There is a discrepancy between the emails/documents leaked almost two months ago and the emails/documents on WikiLeaks’ database. I would hope someone could speak to the discrepancy. I have noticed that emails/documents prior to mid 2013 are not in the database but, were previously leaked. Those emails are far too detailed and varied to be fabricated by random fans and are referenced at times in post-mid 2013 emails/documents. There could be other discrepancies that others have noticed and/or were not noticed by WikiLeaks.

Funny, LindavG asked receipts from Tygger and that person from LSA pops up here with same posts as in LSA:D

Admins, in case this section is going to be spammed every day with tons of new threads about Branca/Sony/conspiracy, can you merge them "all in one".

@formj, you wrote
"like cutting the price for sony for buying this is it rights"

Honey, you need to go and rinse your brain under cold water:D

This is the email chain regarding your "cutting price for Sony" and you need to read it from bottom to top.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/259975835/Fw-Hollywood-Reporter-Time-Sensitive1

Here is Roger F article they refer in the email chain
http://www.showbiz411.com/2009/07/2...son-sony-pictures-75-million-movie-this-is-it

How on earth you come up with Branca selling TII rights at discount price to Sony beats me:scratch:

Where does it say that Branca sold TII right at discount price?

About the ppl that talk about "partnership" with sony:

Branca ' sony/atv advisor job, is a job for sony in which John branca represents sony's interests in sony/atv. Branca is not representing the common interest by working for sony with this job.

That is what the emails and documents proves. Branca gets paid by sony and he has fiduciary duties Toward sony for his service for sony.

Again, this assumes that the interests of Sony and of the Estate are separate and adversarial, when in practice, gains for Sony necessarily mean gains for the Estate.

We KNOW Branca gets paid by Sony. That is not a secret.

There would have been no need to get paid/sign up for a job for sony and for Sony wanting fiduciary duties toward them from branca , if it was something for the common benefit of the joint venture , since branca has duties toward MJ's benefits from sony/atv via his fiduciary duties toward MJ. if it was a joint venture, sharing common interests , there would be no need of this job and a salary from Sony with fiduciary duties.
The "joint venture" would not have required a job for Sony from branca and fiduciary duties toward sony for doing the common interest In sony/atv. There are 2 sides of the joint venture , and branca offered himself to work for sony's sides , representing them and having fiduciaries duties toward them.

As executor, dealing with Sony/ATV is not Branca's only responsibility for the Estate. His expertise has benefit to Sony/ATV, and necessarily to the Estate as well. He is being paid to advise Sony to a greater extent that only his work for the Estate would necessitate. Hence, the salary. What is not here, in the logic, is HOW Sony and the Estate are adversarial. I have read the emails (links above) and see NOTHING to indicate that the Estate "undersold" TII. So -- specifically, WHICH email is that info coming from?

It does't exist on earth a Joint venture with 1 half paying the lawyer that represent the other half , to represent the interest of 1 side with fiduciary duties Toward 1 side....that is not a joint venture...u do not get paid from 1 side of the partnership and have fiduciary duties toward 1 side if you are in a joint venture that should have no sides and together look after the common interests With no money and fiduciaries involved.

Personally, I am on two boards of directors. Boards may have different responsibilities, but primarily they exist to advise and make decisions, for a non-profit or a business. With board membership, different tasks may be assigned to different board-members, in terms of expertise and focus of attention. In Branca's fiduciary responsibilities for the Estate, his primary task is to grow the wealth and income stream of the Estate. Sony/ATV is part of that, but not all. With board membership at Sony, I assume the task is decision-making about the health of the company, ouside of the scope of duties toward the Estate (i.e. he could not justify time spent on that directly with responsibilities to the Estate). The health of Sony impacts the revenue of the Estate. They are related, but not adversarial.

There is yet to be a valid example here of HOW those two entities are adversarial (and there is nothing in the emails that indicates TII was undervalued. If that "fact" exists, WHERE is it?)

MJ did not trust John branca for his promiscuity with sony and there are other emails showimg how branca is after his own interest (for representing sony in sony's affairs) and after sony's interests.

And there we have it. Problem is, MJ's will IS valid and that will names Branca as co-executor. One does not name as executor someone one does not TRUST.

The money that the executor makes via the estate is nothing compared to the money branca 's Law firm makes representing a big corporation like sony in their business affairs. Mj has been used as leverage for branca's personal business for sony and Sony has used MJ for their own gain.

Branca makes ten percent of the revenues of the Estate, potentially much greater than salary from Sony. (We KNOW his salary for consulting with Sony.) Yes, Sony "used MJ for their own gain." They are a BUSINESS whose product is, in part, the artistic production of their artists. That is what they DO. They have not always treated MJ fairly, i.e. not adequately promoting Vince. With Branca consulting, is is less likely that such negative decisions will happen in the future.

I think that this whole argument is predicated on the notion that "Michael did not trust Branca." And THAT idea is predicated on the notion that "the will is not valid." But yet, the will has been ruled VALID, and Michael would not name someone as executor he didn't trust. So really, it comes down to "belief" or intuition, but not fact. One can "feel" that Michael did not trust Branca, but there is no fact to support that idea. Moving right along. . .

Back