Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D

Re: John Landis - Top Secret Thriller Project!!!! Coming 2017

The projects after "Number Ones" that were one off's were just business in the meantime until he had something else going on. Remember he had Neverland Entertainment and the Seven Seas after that. He wasn't kidding about not resigning with Sony.

Halloween is still a good 4.5 months away. The Estate have a tendency to announce new releases roughly a month and a bit before it's release, with the exception of Bad 25 which was announced super early - about 4 months before release.

Michael/Vision was announced beginning of November 2010, released mid December. Immortal was announced in October, released in November. Xscape was announced around April Fools, released mid-May, etc etc.

So if it's going to be a Halloween release, look for a press release in September or so.

I'm not sure this sort of timescale is likely if Thriller is to be exhibited in cinemas worldwide around Halloween. I believe we'll hear earlier if that's the case.

But that's assuming a) it will go into cinemas, and b) it's happening on Halloween, if at all!

Can anyone remember where the Halloween thing came from? I could have sworn Branca said so in a magazine interview around 1-2 years ago but I can't find it...

I'm glad you added in demos. I'd love to hear takes we haven't heard, and for some songs I'd love to have multiple takes to hear how the song progressed over time. Studio chatter would be nice too. Someone early mentioned This Is It should be removed as it's associated with the concerts, fair enough, but I think they should at least include the original demo with it's original name (and at which point, the 2009 version as it now has better context). Given it was a song from the era that was later officially released, and since we're collecting songs that have already been released... ;)

I don't know how I forgot the original This Is It/I Never Heard demo. First the full version of Lady In My Life and now the original TII/INH demo. :doh:

I would add a couple of unheard, unreleased songs into the mix. I mean, if we're making it an imaginary verison we'd love rather than being 100% realistic why not! I wasn't so keen on your original idea because I already had everything there, but if they offer new material I'll take a gander.

Good point ;D I didn't even think about that. How about "How Street", "She's Trouble" and "Nite Line"? Just to name a few examples ;D

Ugh, that 2014 mix is so horrendous. Queen made a better mix but apparently the Estate insisted on another remix being done by William Orbit, which of course was released and panned by many Queen/MJ fans alike for good reason. I'd rather have that on a Thriller re-release than the 2014 William Orbit remix. If not that, then the demo or nothing haha.

Is this the version you're talking about? If so, yeah, I would definitely include that over the 2014 mix :) I actually had no idea until now there was another mix for the song. I searched for it on YouTube and found this.

Is this the version you're talking about? If so, yeah, I would definitely include that over the 2014 mix :) I actually had no idea until now there was another mix for the song. I searched for it on YouTube and found this.

That is better than what we actually got, but I believe that's a fan made version. The version I'm talking about has been mentioned by Brian May and Roger Taylor in various interviews and yet to be heard by anyone outside of the Queen/MJ Estate circle. Brian May and Roger Taylor strongly preferred that version, but the MJ Estate strongly insisted only the Orbit mix be released.

I just took another listen of the 2014 Orbit mix and man, it's such a shit-show. Not only did William Orbit use a weaker vocal take of Michael's, but the mixing was horrendous! Alongside the odd issue that shouldn't be in a professional release, once Michael comes in, he's mixed to be far more prominent so that you can barely hear Freddie, on his song nonetheless! I remember Queen fans complaining and honestly, they had every right to.

Then to make things even more worse, they blundered the release too and heavily restricted it, so it got almost no attention. Sigh. Maybe that's a good thing with what we ended up with. I really hope it gets another chance in the future along with the other two Freddie/Michael duet with the treatment it so rightfully deserves.

John Landis was on the Graham Norton BBC Radio 2 show yesterday so I sent in a question about the project...

[video]https://streamable.com/yl16t[/video]

John Landis was on the Graham Norton BBC Radio 2 show yesterday so I sent in a question about the project...

Hey thanks for doing that!

"How do you know about that?!?"
"How does anyone know about that?" "I haven't a clue"

Hahaha gee it's not like you've discussed it yourself last year in an interview or anything.

He's not at liberty to tell us, but then he essentially goes onto reveal there's going to be a new film on Thriller premiering in the next few months. Given it's a film festival, I imagine they're not going to just dedicate an exhibition to a 15 minute showing of Thriller (unless they're showing it alongside other short films, as is common with film festivals).

Honestly I have a good feeling it's a documentary on Thriller, that at some point features this "alternative ending" and maybe, if the 3D gimmick is still true, tack the 3D short film onto the end... and it's premiering in the next 2-3 months.

So Cannes/Sundance? Can't be too far away right?

So Cannes/Sundance? Can't be too far away right?

It can't be either. Sundance was January and Cannes was last month.

He specifically says the new Thriller get it's world premiere at a very famous film festival this summer. Which one could it be??

Is this going to happen?

Ahhhhh. It's Toronto isn't it?

The dates make sense and Bad 25 premiered there.

I can't wait

You actually got your question answered on the show? Wow. That's pretty incredible luck, considering how many submissions there must be... Very clever of you to seize the opportunity as well. Thank you. Now we have some confirmation. (y)

I'm keeping my expectations low/realistic so I won't be let down by whatever it turns out to be, but I've also brought a first class ticket to board the hype train TBH.
hqdefault.jpg

That's funny as sh-it! :)

I'm keeping my expectations low/realistic so I won't be let down by whatever it turns out to be, but I've also brought a first class ticket to board the hype train TBH.
hqdefault.jpg
I'm just glad they're kind enough to give us SOMETHING. I've been on too much of a MJ withdrawal ever since Xscape was released back in 2014, so anything new will do for me. The Off the Wall rerelease last year was pretty lame, with no new tracks or concert. I guess the documentary was decent, but nothing too special. If this new project really is a 3D theatrical release of the Thriller video, it'll be pretty exciting to see it on the big screen with other fans.

I'm just glad they're kind enough to give us SOMETHING. I've been on too much of a MJ withdrawal ever since Xscape was released back in 2014, so anything new will do for me. The Off the Wall rerelease last year was pretty lame, with no new tracks or concert. I guess the documentary was decent, but nothing too special. If this new project really is a 3D theatrical release of the Thriller video, it'll be pretty exciting to see it on the big screen with other fans.

What I just don't understand is what we're getting in summer. If Thriller 3D will only exhibit in very select theatres like Bad 25 did, before receiving a blu-ray 3D home release then it does seem a rather pointless venture as so very few people have the equipment necessary to enjoy it.

If they've created a documentary to go with it they've been incredible at keeping a lid on it.

It would be neat to see Captain Eo, Ghosts and Thriller exhibit together or something. Or even Thriller and the other big long form videos MJ did. Smooth Criminal, Black or White, Bad etc. It just seems so utterly unlikely.

Perhaps the main selling point of Thriller 2.0 will be the new ending and not the 3D...

Either way I'm excited. Can you tell? :D

If they've created a documentary to go with it they've been incredible at keeping a lid on it.

That is, until John Landis came along :lol:

That is, until John Landis came along :lol:

Well he's just said 'something' is happening this summer. My point is that if a full documentary exists to go with it, the length of a Bad 25 or Off The Wall, they've done a good job of keeping it quiet.

Though I'd like a re-release of Making Of Thriller, it's just hard to imagine they would put that much work into the 'making of'.. Though they could always release a making of this Thriller 3D with footage from the original making with footage we've never seen before.

Same here.

world premier at a film festival this summer!!

All of which harkens back to the Estate needing desperately to leave Sony and find another company that will promote his releases which has NOT been done properly in over twenty years. No they did not do a good job since then...

what are the 'hot' film festivals in the coming months so we can kind of guess when/where the first showing will be?

what are the 'hot' film festivals in the coming months so we can kind of guess when/where the first showing will be?

It's Toronto. Just as Bad 25 premiered there, so will this. I'd put money on it.

I doubt it's just gonna be the Thriller music video. there must be something else.

'Thriller 3D' will resurrect Michael Jackson this summer

NY Daily News

Michael Jackson will be scaring fans from beyond the grave later this summer with a reworked release of his iconic music video “Thriller” in 3D.

Director John Landis, who shot "Thriller" in 1982 with “The King of Pop,” will oversee the project according to industry sources.

We’re told that for three years, Landis has been secretly re-working the iconic 14 minute music video, which was a groundbreaking piece of music history.

Sources say that Michael's son Prince and daughter Paris have been involved in the project, but details are being kept under wraps.

“Thriller is coming out again in movie form this summer and it will be something very special,” we're told. “John took the original footage, cleaned it up and has made it into something very unique.”

Our insider says that if *****, who died in 2009 and would’ve turned 59 in August, would have likey been pleased with this project.

“Michael’s vision before his death was to bring ‘Thriller’ to movie theaters and use IMAX and 3D technology to make fans feel they are in the video with him,” we're told. “There is a marketing plan in place to launch the new version with a huge PR drive with (Jackson’s children) Prince and Paris involved.”

We also hear that Prince, a filmmaking enthusiast, has expressed particular interest in this project. Our sources also say that fans are in for a double-feature.

“As part of the celebration relaunch, a new documentary exploring the incredible story behind the movie’s creation will be released,” we're told.

Landis joined the project after actually being caught up in a bitter legal war over the original “Thriller” after Michael’s passing in 2009. That beef has apparently been buried.

The movie release marks the 35th anniversary of the “Thriller” album launch.

Shortly after Jackson died, the “Thriller” video was inducted into the National Film Registry by the Library Of Congress. No other music video had been given that honor.

With James Desborough

Last edited:
ChrisC;4197003 said:
“As part of the celebration relaunch, a new documentary exploring the incredible story behind the movie’s creation will be released,”

giphy.gif

3D project and documentary.. I can get down with that!!!!

Unless they change my mind, I'll pass on this.

Breaks my heart to say that.

Back