Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D

What's the difference between 4K and regular HD? Please don't tell me to look it up-I want it in language I can understand. :)

What's the difference between 4K and regular HD? Please don't tell me to look it up-I want it in language I can understand. :)
The quality is even better. Here is some info:
http://www.techradar.com/news/television/ultra-hd-everything-you-need-to-know-about-4k-tv-1048954

not confirmed but I'm sure there will. that's the latest physical video format :)

Actually I wouldn't be so sure about that. The format is new and Estate has to think if it would sell well. Not all old movies get 4K releases. At least not in many years.

Last edited:
There are repeated assertions on here that 3D is 'yesterday's news'. Fact is, it remains big business in multiplexes across the UK.

The 3D bubble MAY have popped in the home market, but at cinemas we're still slap bang in the middle of the 3D reign. I personally don't care for the format (with exceptions) but the way some people go on here suggests that 3D is on the way out - it's still a massive format and big money maker for cinemas exhibiting films.

Indeed James Cameron ploughed money into a 3D conversion of Terminator 2: Judgement Day this year and local cinemas here have noted huge demand with screenings selling out over a month in advance. IF there's data out there to suggest the format's popularity is waning in cinemas then I'd be interested to hear it.

3D IS yesterday's news. Sales of 3D cinema tickets have fallen in the last few years - in the last year they fell by around 11%.
There is only 1 TV manufacturer with 3D TV sets in their 2016/2017 product line up.
Broadcasters like Sky no longer show events in 3D.

Some major films aren't even released in 3D these days. Those that are released in 3D are generally filmed in 2D and then converted later and the result isn't as good as producing a film in 3D in the first place. But it's a cheap process and the ticket pricess are inflated for 3D so it produces a greater profit margin...for now. With numbers of 3D cinema tickets sold in decline and limited possibility of releasing home 3D products it's only going to be a short time before we see 3D leaving mainstream cinema again.

Cameron releasing T2 in 3D is not going to strengthen your argument that 3D is alive and well when there's so much counter evidence out there...and that's coming from somebody who booked to see that film at Cineworld.

The quality is even better. Here is some info:
http://www.techradar.com/news/television/ultra-hd-everything-you-need-to-know-about-4k-tv-1048954

Actually I wouldn't be so sure about that. The format is new and Estate has to think if it would sell well. Not all old movies get 4K releases. At least not in many years.

It would be cheap to produce a 4K product when they're enhancing Thriller anyway. It would be far more expensive to go back to the original film reels in the future and go through the whole process again. They would have been mad to only generate a 1080 output when they could easily do 4K. They question is, will they release it in 4K now? Or will they decide to wait until later? If they don't release Thriller in 4K I will be amazed.

It would be cheap to produce a 4K product when they're enhancing Thriller anyway. It would be far more expensive to go back to the original film reels in the future and go through the whole process again. They would have been mad to only generate a 1080 output when they could easily do 4K. They question is, will they release it in 4K now? Or will they decide to wait until later? If they don't release Thriller in 4K I will be amazed.
Of course they scanned it in 4K now but it doesn't mean that they are going to release it in 4K. They might wait and see how well other 4K releases sell. The format is new.

Just to clarify as we keep talking about all these different release types.. There is no confirmation as to how it will be released or how Thriller 3D will be used after the festival..

for those who are not too familiar with 4K technology, for most it can be disregarded simply on the fact if you do not have 4K technology yourself (ie if you are not familiar with it) than getting it will look the same as a 2K or 1080p telivision (the more used TV's). You are going to get the most out of 4K technology with 4K equiptment - if you don't have it, the normal eye can't see the difference..

I just would not get too invested in a specific technology because in a couple years it will be a standard and there will better.. as always! than we will be here saying "Man I wish the estate would release this in 6K" lol

that said whatever way the release it - I hope it is available in the best quality possible (for today) that way whatever people have at home they can use and get the most they could get out of it.

3D IS yesterday's news. Sales of 3D cinema tickets have fallen in the last few years - in the last year they fell by around 11%.
There is only 1 TV manufacturer with 3D TV sets in their 2016/2017 product line up.
Broadcasters like Sky no longer show events in 3D.

Some major films aren't even released in 3D these days. Those that are released in 3D are generally filmed in 2D and then converted later and the result isn't as good as producing a film in 3D in the first place. But it's a cheap process and the ticket pricess are inflated for 3D so it produces a greater profit margin...for now. With numbers of 3D cinema tickets sold in decline and limited possibility of releasing home 3D products it's only going to be a short time before we see 3D leaving mainstream cinema again.

Cameron releasing T2 in 3D is not going to strengthen your argument that 3D is alive and well when there's so much counter evidence out there...and that's coming from somebody who booked to see that film at Cineworld.

I made a point of being quite specific regarding my argument being in cinemas and not the home market, yet I knew someone would start bleating about the home market being dead anyway.

3D receipts actually fell by 8% however a record number of films were released in 3D last year so the 'some major films aren't released in 3D' argument is pretty weak.

3D may be declining, by a small amount - rather slowly. But it ain't nowhere near dead yet. If the argument here is that Thriller should be released in an innovative format, rather than a popular one, then fine. But we need to be clear, 3D remains big business in 2017.

Moving on, did anyone buy tickets for Thriller 3D today? I am SO tempted to fly over to Venice for a couple of days. I'm kinda surprised how slowly tickets are selling.

This image is tiny, but proportionally it'll give you the idea. 4K is essentially twice the size of HD.

resolution-4k-ultra-hd-size.png

I'll explain the numbers very basically too.

In the digital world, screens are comprised of small dots called 'pixels'. Each pixel is it's own unique colour. Generally, the more pixels the more detail you can see, the more 'crisper' it can be.

High Definition is generally regarded as 720p or 1080p (terms you've no doubt heard many times, even seen on YouTube!). The number in front of the 'p' represents how many pixels makes up the height. So 1080p = 1080 pixels height. 720p = 720 pixels height. 480p = 480 pixels height.

Let's look at the box for 1080p above. Width wise, we can see it's made of 1920 pixels. Height wise, 1080 pixels. Often it's just simply referred to as 1920x1080.

What about 4K? Well it gets slightly tricky here. The 4K doesn't mean it's 4000 pixels tall. Nope! They've swapped it around for this one, so it now refers to the width - just rounded up. So see the red box for 4K? Width wise, it's made of 3840 pixels. Round that up, you get 4000 pixels. So 4K. Why they swapped it around? I'm not sure, but they did and it's common terminology now. Maybe because it's easier to remember?

Let's look at that graph again. As you can see, 4K resolution is 2160 pixels high. To make it even more trickier, sometimes, but not often, you'll see media players like YouTube use 2160p to indicate the video is actually 4K. 4K and 2160p are the same thing. One number just refers to the (rounded) width, the other it's height.

An easy way to remember it is this:

p = Height. 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p. These all refer to how many pixels height.

K = Width. 4K. 8K. etc.

Hope this makes sense!

It likely won't be released on 4K Blu-ray, it's still so very new. I've noticed that most 4K releases now are generally by the big studios for their blockbuster films. Even Disney just released their very first 4K Blu-ray (Guardians of the Galaxy 2). Realistically, it'll most likely just be a Blu-ray, DVD and Digital release - should this come out for home media which it likely will. Many - and I repeat - many films are restored in 4K+, have been for years, and many of these are yet to see the light of day on the new format.

Thinking about it, we might even see a home release for Halloween. It premieres at the festival in mid-September doesn't it? Which gives them a month and a half to promote it if they announce it right after - the same time frame for Xscape, Michael, Vision, Immortal, Off the Wall 2016...

That still raises the issue of not being enough content, as Thriller + The Making of only equates to 1 hour. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Thriller reissue to the likes of what we got for OTW last year, with the album on a disc, the new restorations on a Blu-Ray or DVD, and hopefully a bonus disc with new material for pete's sake.

No one is going? I had a look at flights last night. Probably a little higher than I'd like to pay. Last minute flights never are cheap.

It's showing at Toronto as well. I guess the predictions were right!

And the TIFF website confirms it's in 4K 3D. Doesn't necessarily mean the home release will be though.

^ def hints to it though.. I mean why invest in the technology for just 4K for a projector display at a show or two to a select group of people? that would be throwing money away

^ def hints to it though.. I mean why invest in the technology for just 4K for a projector display at a show or two to a select group of people? that would be throwing money away

Not really. Often it is done so they can have a definitive copy of the film in a high resolution format, which allows maximum flexibility for the future. Very, very little point in restoring to just 1080p these days unless you're barred by source material. Even then, it's far better to screen a film at 4K than 1080p so the fact it's appearing in cinema alone is actually a valid enough reason.

Many films are restored in 4K, only to be released on standard Blu-ray. This will possibly change now, but it's still a new format so I wouldn't get my hopes up. I'm wouldn't get it in 4K but I'd love to be proven wrong.

The 2017 Toronto International Film Festiva willl host the world premieres of Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D for North America!

Named TIFF, the Festival will start on September 7!

Also on the listing, the Making of Thriller and also “Sheikh Jackson”, the Egyptian movie.

TIFF will be branding the Michael Jackson colours this year! Clearly a THRILLER of a year!

For more information about TIFF / Thriller 3D, http://www.tiff.net/tiff/michael-jacksons-thriller-3d/?v=michael-jacksons-thriller-3d

For more information about TIFF / Sheikh Jackson, http://www.tiff.net/tiff/sheikh-jackson/?v=sheikh-jackson

1 week until we get the schedule for the festival... August 22nd!

resolution-4k-ultra-hd-size.png

4K is essentially twice the size of HD.

4K (3840x2160) is actually 4 (FOUR) times the size of "full HD" (1920x1080) - which you can easily see on the picture.
Both the height and width are doubled, thus 2 x 2 = 4 [1920 x 2 = 3840; 1080 x 2 = 2160].

Many films are restored (or shot nowadays) in way higher resolutions than the home market offers (eg 8K, 16K). Almost all Blu-ray releases from major films will be re-released in higher formats one day. Some will need new post production, others are already completely done in these very high resolutions, they are simply downscaled for the current home market releases.

The biggest picture quality benefit however is from old DVD releases (sourced from - often blurry - analogue tape transfers) to their Blu-ray counterpart (if the film was actually restored). Any other release above full HD is just a bigger resolution but for most people the benefits are very low or even zero. If you have a big TV (eg 50''), you can hardly spot any difference from a normal (and recommended for your health) viewing distance and the benefits are marginal (of course enthusiasts will disagree). If you have a giant TV (> 50''), 4K and above might be of interest for you. However as of now you'll still face a lack of available material to profit from it.

It's a little different for PC: as your viewing distance is very close to your monitor and because the content you see is mostly all digital, you'll spot less aliasing and will have the benefit of a sharper picture. But current full HD monitors don't look "bad", so it's a matter of taste (and money). 4K is not available for all things though.

Last edited:
4K (3840x2160) is actually 4 (FOUR) times the size of "full HD" (1920x1080) - which you can easily see on the picture.
Both the height and width are doubled, thus 2 x 2 = 4 [1920 x 2 = 3840; 1080 x 2 = 2160].

Whoops, you're right. Got my maths muddled up a bit :p

Thanks!!

Just another quick point to note:

4K isn't actually about size, it's about the number of pixels. For example the next HTV Vive and Oculus Rift VR displays are expected to feature 4K displays and they will be smaller than you typical phone display but will have a much higher pixel density (more pixels per inch).

And the TIFF website confirms it's in 4K 3D. Doesn't necessarily mean the home release will be though.

Does it give any specifics about the Making Of documentary? What kind of quality can we expect there?

Hope it's 4K

Is it possible with the source material? It was never intended to be shown in a theatre so what type of camera did they likely use? I refer only to the documentary of course.

Is it possible with the source material? It was never intended to be shown in a theatre so what type of camera did they likely use? I refer only to the documentary of course.

It WAS intented to be shown in theaters just like Thriller music video, John has said that multiple times on interviews. Quality will be as good as the music video because the Making Of is also on film.....just take a look at the VHS, it's full of film dirt. do you really expect SD/DVD quality for a festival?

I wonder what kind of release to the general public this is going to have.
Will it be a theater release, a TV release, a streaming/social media release (YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, etc), or a direct to DVD release?

Back