Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D

Re: John Landis - Top Secret Thriller Project!!!! Coming 2017

^^ Fair point.

My hesitation comes from the fact that John Branca has spoken about a Thriller 3D release, which in and of itself I don't quite care for, and Landis' comments bring us one step closer to that being a reality.

I highly doubt that the Thriller project has to do something with this.

It's a long shot, but remember that Sony has used MJ to push multiple Sony hardware releases in the past, including a PS3 bundle.

In home 3D is virtually dead now. VR is the next wave.

It's ironic that you came on to tell us that you don't care about it.;D

Pretty sure a forum is for voicing opinions. Positive or negative.

I'm not really interested in this either if it's just a re release. I would probably buy Thriller HD if it was sold separately. Although I feel like they'd make it part of a bundle.

What if its in the same original form with chalky 3d gimmiks?

What I expect:

Thriller 35th Anniversary Collectors Edition

- Thriller 3D (music video)
- Thriller making of
- Remastered Thriller Album
- Thriller unreleased tracks + Remixes
- Thriller T-Shirt + Thriller Varsity Jacket memorabilia
- Spike Lee's Thriller Documentary

Release Date: October 31, 2017 (Halloween)

A PERFECT BIRTHDAY GIFT for me lol

Oh god. Thriller. AGAIN?!

The estate: "Guys, you know what? Let's make the people forget that Michael ever made albums after bad, because Quincy wasn't involved."

What about Dangerous?
What about HIStory
What about Invincible?
What about those songs which were recorded post trial?

Man. If this is true, this will be in my. Opinion a quick cash in to rush out of the Sony and Estate contractual agreement.

I don't mind Thriller being celebrated for its 35th anniversary and some of these ideas have been good-I'd like to see Spike's documentary, if he got the go-ahead, and I'd like Thriller/the Making of Thriller to be released on DVD because my original VHS copy or my VCRs aren't going to last forever.

I don't care for John Landis anymore, though, and I would just as soon that he not have a part of this. I really wish the Estate had just bought out his portion when they settled-it would have been expensive, but worth it.

I'll reserve judgement until it's released or at least until we know more about the project.
I really don't care for John Landis though, he always takes every chance he gets to throw Michael under the bus.

I don't mind Thriller being celebrated for its 35th anniversary.
Agreed.
It's the best selling album of all time, and IMO it deserves to be celebrated lest people forget that Michael did indeed put out the best selling album of all time.
I don't care for John Landis anymore, though, and I would just as soon that he not have a part of this. I really wish the Estate had just bought out his portion when they settled-it would have been expensive, but worth it.
I really don't care for John Landis though, he always takes every chance he gets to throw Michael under the bus.

God dammit....what did he do/say?
100.gif

Last edited:

Agreed.

God dammit....what did he do/say?
100.gif
Just a few little things like Michael had disfigured himself by bleaching his skin. And told a story about 2007 when Michael went to him to discuss a film project trying to resurrect his career-and Landis said he had totally destroyed his looks-that he had a prosthetic nose and he was just too "grotesque" to film.

I try to separate the old stuff that I absolutely love (especially Thriller, Black or White) from those remarks but can't with anything new. The Estate should have just kicked him to the curb.

It's the best selling album of all time, and IMO it deserves to be celebrated lest people forget that Michael did indeed put out the best selling album of all time.

I think the whole "Thriller is the best-selling album of all time" shtick has been absolutely run into the ground. Everyone knows its influence, everyone knows it's a hallmark of the music industry. It's getting tiresome.

Why not acknowledge that Dangerous is the best-selling new jack swing album of all time?

Or that History is the best-selling double disc album of all time?

There is far too much reliance on the Thriller era.

I would also rather see his other albums be celebrated. - Dangerous, HIStory and Invincible should have more focus. - To many wonderful songs people don't know on those albums.

Agree. The media dont need any help in trying to turn mj into a one trick pony. they down play his sucess as it is

I'm glad that John Landis in involved. He is the director so his input is important when restoring the film.

I'm glad that John Landis in involved. He is the director so his input is important when restoring the film.

Maybe it is a remake or something like that. He said the new project involves Thriller. It could be anything.

Anyway, "Dangerous" should get an anniversary. The album is far better than Thriller and Bad combined. But that's my opinion.

I think the whole "Thriller is the best-selling album of all time" shtick has been absolutely run into the ground. Everyone knows its influence, everyone knows it's a hallmark of the music industry. It's getting tiresome.

Why not acknowledge that Dangerous is the best-selling new jack swing album of all time?

Or that History is the best-selling double disc album of all time?

There is far too much reliance on the Thriller era.

Or even release his short films in HD. Its beyond me this hasnt been done yet. Id rather see faithful re-releases (eg properly mastered Vinyl pressings of History and BOTDF) and remasters of the short films- Michael's ACTUAL work- than any more updates to his previously released work like Xscape, Thriller 4D or whatever it will be.

Let the man rest in peace and honour his legacy and memory, not create another "what would Michael have done/wanted" project. No one else is Michael Jackson.

Just a few little things like Michael had disfigured himself by bleaching his skin. And told a story about 2007 when Michael went to him to discuss a film project trying to resurrect his career-and Landis said he had totally destroyed his looks-that he had a prosthetic nose and he was just too "grotesque" to film.
Well shit, John Landis sounds like a horrible disgusting person.

I would also rather see his other albums be celebrated. - Dangerous, HIStory and Invincible should have more focus. - To many wonderful songs people don't know on those albums.

Agree. The media dont need any help in trying to turn mj into a one trick pony. they down play his sucess as it is

I wholeheartedly agree that his other albums need their time to shine (especially HIStory and Invincible), but I'm never against Thriller praise either :yes:
As for the media downplaying Michael, they've been downplaying and trying to replace Michael for years, it's disrespectful and tacky, but I don't see it stopping any time soon.

I'm not a fan of 3D gives me a headache. I would like to see it in HD but not pay for it or buy another bundle. I've see it a gazzillion times. I can actually play the whole thing in my head without watching lol! I'm sure it will be great but I'd rather they opt for something different. Anything different. The documentaries have been ok but nothing I view more than once. Some of the releases just seem lazy.

I'm not a fan of 3D gives me a headache. I would like to see it in HD but not pay for it or buy another bundle. I've see it a gazzillion times. I can actually play the whole thing in my head without watching lol! I'm sure it will be great but I'd rather they opt for something different. Anything different. The documentaries have been ok but nothing I view more than once. Some of the releases just seem lazy.

Snap. I have absolutely no time for 3D.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very proud of what Thriller accomplished and I love hearing when the general public acknowledges it. BUT, he has other monster hit albums that simply does not get the recognition they deserve.. I could imagine Michael felt the same way.. with each album there were records made surrounding particular albums..

Don't get me wrong, I'm very proud of what Thriller accomplished and I love hearing when the general public acknowledges it. BUT, he has other monster hit albums that simply does not get the recognition they deserve

I agree, I want ALL of Michael's albums to be seen as the masterpieces that they are (I'm the first one to say that Invincible is underrated), but I do like Thriller praise if only for the fact that I do feel as though people need to be reminded that Michael did put out an album that garnered more sales then many artists are able to garner with multiple albums or for their entire careers.

And before you say that people will never forget/diminish what Michael accomplished with Thriller lets not forget that the media was hellbent on selling Justin Timberlake as the newer better Michael Jackson and new King of Pop (knowing good and well that he was nowhere near MJ's level in reality) while Michael himself was still alive and had changed/reinvented the way music videos were created WITH Thriller.

When it comes to Michael I do kind of feel like an accomplishment such as Thriller needs to be shouted from the rooftops just to remind/not let people forget that Michael accomplished something so big.

Last edited:

Thriller documentary and the short film in HD would be awesome. Thriller deserves a good documentary.

I don't like 3D so I couldn't care less about the 3D release. I wanna hear more unreleased tracks and it doesn't look like many tracks were recorded during the Thriller era so I don't really have much interest in Thriller 35.

Does anyone have an idea how many albums have been released since the dawn of recorded music? 100,000? 1,000,000?

An album by Michael Jackson happens to be the biggest selling EVER. Of course that needs celebrating. It should be celebrated more IMHO.

Do people honestly think that it wouldn't be the case if it happened to be The Beatles? Or Elvis?

A guy that had a tough upbringing, with no advantages other than his talent, makes the biggest selling album OF ALL TIME. And some fans complain that it gets too much coverage/promotion compared to his other great albums?

I get that people have varying tastes when it comes to music. I get that some fans prefer OTW, BAD, or Dangerous to Thriller. But I don't get fans complaining and moaning about "yet another milking" of THE BIGGEST SELLING ALBUM OF ALL TIME.

Just be glad it ISN'T The Beatles that hold the record. They would have a weekly celebration of that on TV and radio, here in the UK! :yes::doh::D

Do people honestly think that it wouldn't be the case if it happened to be The Beatles? Or Elvis?

Well Pink Floyd/Roger Waters still tours with The Dark Side of the Moon (and The Wall sometimes). They have lots of other albums as well, but it is always DSOTM/The Wall that people focus on.

An album by Michael Jackson happens to be the biggest selling EVER. Of course that needs celebrating. It should be celebrated more IMHO.

Well I mean similarly, The Beatles are the best selling artists in history... and Elvis is also the best selling solo artist in history. I hear a good amount about how Thriller is the best selling album of all time but honestly not as much about The Beatles or Elvis' relation to best selling artists (I still hear about it occasionally though, especially with Elvis). If "Abbey Road" or "Elvis Is Back" or whatever was the best selling album of all time, I reckon we'd hear about it at a similar rate to how much we do for Thriller.

I'm fine with Thriller's success being celebrated and I'm never going to be against the praise of Michael Jackson's art, but I definitely agree that'd it be nice to have the light shone on his other albums instead (especially Dangerous).

Well I mean similarly, The Beatles are the best selling artists in history... and Elvis is also the best selling solo artist in history. I hear a good amount about how Thriller is the best selling album of all time but honestly not as much about The Beatles or Elvis' relation to best selling artists (I still hear about it occasionally though, especially with Elvis). If "Abbey Road" or "Elvis Is Back" or whatever was the best selling album of all time, I reckon we'd hear about it at a similar rate to how much we do for Thriller.

I'm fine with Thriller's success being celebrated and I'm never going to be against the praise of Michael Jackson's art, but I definitely agree that'd it be nice to have the light shone on his other albums instead (especially Dangerous).
I personally don't care about the Beatles or Elvis enough to know whats said or how often it's said about what they've done, so I'll take your word on that. :yes:
However, AFAIK the media has never tried to actively and near constantly replace or put anyone above Elvis or the Beatles like they do Michael, which may result in MJfans being more vocal about Michael's accomplishments (i.e., Thriller being the best selling album of all time) then they would otherwise be.

I personally don't care about the Beatles or Elvis enough to know whats said or how often it's said about what they've done, so I'll take your word on that. :yes:
However, AFAIK the media has never tried to actively and near constantly replace or put anyone above Elvis or the Beatles like they do Michael, which may result in MJfans being more vocal about Michael's accomplishments (i.e., Thriller being the best selling album of all time) then they would otherwise be.

To clarify, I was speaking more about seeing it in media articles, biographies, interviews, press releases etc rather than internet posts/comments. Otherwise, given how many posts I read here, my experience would be very much "but I hear Thriller is the best selling album aaallll the time!!" hehe :p

LOL, reading this thread has made me realize that plain old 3D is old technology/doesn't impress anyone (including myself) now....I wonder what's going to be next (the successor to 3D).

Back