Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D

I really hope they do release this at some point - but it seems like a waste of money if they don't.
Of course. It's an opportunity for them to profit and make some more money, and they did not do all that work converting it into 3D only for it to be watched for a limited time by a limited amount of viewers.

Of course. It's an opportunity for them to profit and make some more money, and they did not do all that work converting it into 3D only for it to be watched for a limited time by a limited amount of viewers.

Exactly. i hope one day they do. ridiculous if they don't.

Its stupid of them not to have already released it but imo i think the pressure would be on them heavy about the continuation of the rest of the short films. I cant wait to see remember the time with new cgi, speed demon with a recreated spike thats more digital than claymation & leave me alone with updated (definitely not the moonwalker version)

I never thought of that. yes the short films need to be updated but they don't need to be remade. this is history (no pun). if they do that then they really trying ruin michael as a whole.

I never thought of that. yes the short films need to be updated but they don't need to be remade. this is history (no pun). if they do that then they really trying ruin michael as a whole.
Well technically they have no choice but to start from scratch so far as cgi

Its stupid of them not to have already released it but imo i think the pressure would be on them heavy about the continuation of the rest of the short films. I cant wait to see remember the time with new cgi, speed demon with a recreated spike thats more digital than claymation & leave me alone with updated (definitely not the moonwalker version)
They wouldn't recreate Spike with cgi and I don't think they should. That video would be easy to release in HD because it doesn't have cgi. It will look like it does in Moonwalker Blu-Ray. Same with Leave Me Alone.

In my opinion it would be a bad idea to remake some of michael short films. just make them HD. this is 40 years of hard work and don't need someone who's not michael ruining and the history by it.

and the fact Michael was black.

In my opinion it would be a bad idea to remake some of michael short films. just make them HD. this is 40 years of hard work and don't need someone who's not michael ruining and the history by it.

and the fact Michael was black.

They might have to recreate the cgi in some short films because the 35mm film version might not have it. Its possible that the cgi was added in post production on tape. I hope that isn't the case and they can be released in HD without changing much.

and the fact Michael was black

Michael was black? I guess everyone knows. I'm not sure what you mean with this?

BUt - I do NOT hope they recreate the videos or Spike. I hope it's possible to upgrade to 4K without changing anything - and if they do I hope they stay true to the original. - I would not like a 1987 animation to look like 2020?? - What's the point in that? - HD without changes thanks.

I hope they don’t allow the people who worked on the Bad Tour show in London to work on the short films.

What i mean by Michael was black because if you look in the past alot black artists and people was sellout due to their talents etc. i'm pretty sure there's alot good stuff out there that has been destroy or remade due to the racism at the time and still is. while michael isn't the only black artist who was talented he deserve to have good quality stuff to show his race culture and being a black artist as whole.

i think you get what i'm saying. making michael look bad for his race and lies. also i'm not saying if someone was black could updated michael work. the fact there's only one michael.

leave me alone and speed demon was all made with some claymation. that's what michael wanted. if they change that it won't really be like michael wanted and made it.

now if they have to updated i hope they don't change too much because what was just been said 1987 animation with 2020 animation probably won't look right and the fact it was claymation.

maybe someone could do it. but right now i don't think that's a good idea.

NatureCriminal7896;4303940 said:
What i mean by Michael was black because if you look in the past alot black artists and people was sellout due to their talents etc. i'm pretty sure there's alot good stuff out there that has been destroy or remade due to the racism at the time and still is. while michael isn't the only black artist who was talented he deserve to have good quality stuff to show his race culture and being a black artist as whole.

i think you get what i'm saying. making michael look bad for his race and lies. also i'm not saying if someone was black could updated michael work. the fact there's only one michael.

leave me alone and speed demon was all made with some claymation. that's what michael wanted. if they change that it won't really be like michael wanted and made it.

now if they have to updated i hope they don't change too much because what was just been said 1987 animation with 2020 animation probably won't look right and the fact it was claymation.

maybe someone could do it. but right now i don't think that's a good idea.
In this case, it is more about respect for the artist. How would it look bad for Michael’s race and “lies”?

NatureCriminal7896;4303926 said:

People aren’t talking about remaking the whole films, but the so-called CGI parts of them.
This has to be done for technical reasons.
CGI means “Computer Generated Imagery”
CGI is added to the film after filming, during “post-production”.
If you take such a film today and scan it in higher resolution, the CGI parts would not look realistic anymore, because the were created for a much lower resolution.
This is why they would have to be recreated.
An example is the scene in “Remember the Time” where Michael first appears from the golden sand.
This computer effect would have to be recreated, so that it looks good in high resolution.

I didn't say all his short films need to be remade. i'm just saying some of them they won't be able to do. animation from then to now probably won't look great if they do it the right way.

i doubt that it's gonna look great.

ScreenOrigami;4303942 said:
People aren’t talking about remaking the whole films, but the so-called CGI parts of them.
This has to be done for technical reasons.
CGI means “Computer Generated Imagery”
CGI is added to the film after filming, during “post-production”.
If you take such a film today and scan it in higher resolution, the CGI parts would not look realistic anymore, because the were created for a much lower resolution.
This is why they would have to be recreated.
An example is the scene in “Remember the Time” where Michael first appears from the golden sand.
This computer effect would have to be recreated, so that it looks good in high resolution.
This is EXACTLY what I meant. & because of the outdated claymation...im sure spike would be like toy story 4 animation & the leave me alone graphics....(well im not too sure about that 1. The filming process on that looks like it shouldve took years. No computers whatsoever) but remember the time gold & sand new cgi with the exact same effects but in higher resolution & jam definitely could use a clean up! Im curious to know how stranger in moscow & scream would look in 4k with the reels being that they're in black & white. I always felt scream is way too bright! & I'm not sure how they would apply the rain but im sure they have the negatives of Michael in the blue screen! Black or white painting when he's on the statue of liberty is cgi as well (very impressive btw. Whenever I see the statue of liberty I instantly think of Michael, being that he introduced me to it. Lol I saw black or white 1st before I saw the real deal). I think they could add the rain in dirty diana that was supposed to be there before Michael messed up his knees. Not sure how yana graphics will be but 1 thing for sure, that & who is it...its definitely too soft....blurry like. I understand ecasanova later on but i mean the beginning. Ithink blame it on the boogie & was shot on tape. Not sure about Can You Feel It either. Childhood is actually perfect. Just needs to be 16:9. Earth song....dont really remember any cgi, just alot of reversing. & give into me with updated lightning & new lighting.

effects

Older videos were edited on videotape, especially ones from the 1980s. I don't know about the 1990s, probably were in the early 1990s for sure. So any special effects would have to be done over. Here's the Missionary Man video by Eurythmics in 4K. They only scanned the non-effects parts of the video (which was shot on film) in 4K. The portions with effects are straight from videotape. You can easily tell the difference in the sources. It was probably too expensive and time consuming to try to do the effects over, so they didn't bother.
In the case of claymation, stop motion, & older 2D cartoons, that's usually done in camera. It's pretty much someone taking individual photos of the clay models or drawings. It's not effects added later like the Missionary Man video. So something like Speed Demon shouldn't have to be done over. There's a 4K version of Peter Gabriel's Sledehammer and that has claymation/stop motion, but they cropped it into widescreen though.
Speed Demon might have to be re-edited though, but that's not as much as a problem as creating effects from scratch. They did that with the 1960s Star Trek show, put new effects in. But Star Trek has a big enough audience that will buy it to justify the expense. Music video compilations don't really have the same demand. You can watch music videos for free on Youtube.

Older videos were edited on videotape, especially ones from the 1980s. I don't know about the 1990s, probably were in the early 1990s for sure. So any special effects would have to be done over. Here's the Missionary Man video by Eurythmics in 4K. They only scanned the non-effects parts of the video (which was shot on film) in 4K. The portions with effects are straight from videotape. You can easily tell the difference in the sources. It was probably too expensive and time consuming to try to do the effects over, so they didn't bother.
In the case of claymation, stop motion, & older 2D cartoons, that's usually done in camera. It's pretty much someone taking individual photos of the clay models or drawings. It's not effects added later like the Missionary Man video. So something like Speed Demon shouldn't have to be done over. There's a 4K version of Peter Gabriel's Sledehammer and that has claymation/stop motion, but they cropped it into widescreen though.
Speed Demon might have to be re-edited though, but that's not as much as a problem as creating effects from scratch. They did that with the 1960s Star Trek show, put new effects in. But Star Trek has a big enough audience that will buy it to justify the expense. Music video compilations don't really have the same demand. You can watch music videos for free on Youtube.

They wouldn't have to re-edit Speed Demon. Its already HD in Moonwalker Blu-Ray and it looks great.

Would be interesting to see alternative versions of some short films. They probably have In the Closet and Stranger in Moscow in color on 35mm film. At least In the Closet because it doesn't have cgi. Of course they shouldn't replace the originals but would be interesting to see them in color.

Last edited:
DuranDuran;4304067 said:
Star Trek has a big enough audience that will buy it to justify the expense. Music video compilations don't really have the same demand. You can watch music videos for free on Youtube.

Great examples in your post, as always. I think, when we’re discussing restoration of the short films, we (and the Estate) shouldn’t look at it in terms of immediate financial gain, because as you say most people will watch them for free on YouTube, but as a long term investment. New generations of potential fans will become more and more used to high quality videos, so a well restored version will certainly get more views than the trusty old 480p. As more and more artists old and new release their videos in high quality, they’re drowning out MJ’s material, simply because it’s not as eye-catching at first glance to a casual YouTube rabbit-hole visitor. I think we have to look at videos on YouTube as advertisement for the artist, so when the Estate does a money-making project like “MJ the Musical”, the public’s appetite is already whetted. It’s about staying relevant on those video platforms more than anything else.

EDIT: I’m only talking about the financial aspect here, of course. Not the importance for the legacy itself.

Last edited:
This for me is ultimate proof that the people in charge are absolutely clueless.

Why this isn't on Youtube is absolutely beyond me.

This for me is ultimate proof that the people in charge are absolutely clueless.

Why this isn't on Youtube is absolutely beyond me.

They might want to release it on Blu-Ray first. The 3D conversion isn't cheap. I think they want to remaster all the short films before they release them.

Remaster all the short films gonna take awhile because it isn't cheap. if they doing them now it's gonna take about probably 2 years to fully rerelease the remaster version of the short films.

i can't wait the day to see all of the short films remaster. seriously it's 2020 and the last short film was made like 2003 i think? that was 17 years ago. it's time to upgrade come on chop chop.

you would think michael would be one of the first people to have his short films remaster. that's kind of sad for michael taste because if he was alive he would most definitely have all his short films remaster. michael was serious when it came to his art. he would be disappointed.

ScreenOrigami;4304083 said:
New generations of potential fans will become more and more used to high quality videos, so a well restored version will certainly get more views than the trusty old 480p. As more and more artists old and new release their videos in high quality, they’re drowning out MJ’s material, simply because it’s not as eye-catching at first glance to a casual YouTube rabbit-hole visitor. I think we have to look at videos on YouTube as advertisement for the artist, so when the Estate does a money-making project like “MJ the Musical”, the public’s appetite is already whetted. It’s about staying relevant on those video platforms more than anything else.
It only seems to be the artists most popular videos and/or songs that are converted into 4K such as Take On Me by A-Ha, not all of their videos. Otherwise what would be the point of making a 4K version of a video like Wham!'s Last Christmas. I wouldn't say that video was really a big deal like Take On Me or Sledgehammer.

Since a lot of people today watch videos on their phones, I don't think HD for music videos is really that big of a deal for them. It's very unlikely that most old music videos are going to be converted into HD. Many don't even have official uploads. They're only on Youtube because people taped them off TV at the time and still have their VHS tapes to upload them. The original sources also might not still exist for some. Same for a lot of old TV shows, concerts, & movies. They're never going to be officially released on DVD/Blu Ray nor be on any streaming site like Netflix. There's also the case that some old things are edited because of society changing, such as the Sunflower scenes in Fantasia. They were edited out when Fantasia was re-released to theaters in the 1960s and have never been on any home video release. That's also why Disney will not release Song Of The South on home video or have it on Disney+ and CBS will not release the Amos N Andy TV show. You can buy bootleg versions, but that's it.

I think Michael's videos should be left in their original form. I find that whenever they're remastered, his dancing is slowed down and softened. that dynamic spark gets lost. 'thriller' was supposed to be dark and gritty. it looks glossy in 3d. also, the sound effects that accompany the movement were perfectly in sync in the original. that's gone in what I've seen of the 3d remake.

I think Michael's videos should be left in their original form. I find that whenever they're remastered, his dancing is slowed down and softened. that dynamic spark gets lost. 'thriller' was supposed to be dark and gritty. it looks glossy in 3d. also, the sound effects that accompany the movement were perfectly in sync in the original. that's gone in what I've seen of the 3d remake.
They just need to remaster them right. I hope Thriller still has film grain when it gets released on Blu-Ray. Film grain shouldn't be removed when restoring film. Usually details are gone if too much digital noise reduction is used. They should also include the original audio.

Last edited:
the sound effects that accompany the movement were perfectly in sync in the original. that's gone in what I've seen of the 3d remake.

Yea that really had me pissed off! Im not sure if they had to do it but i was highly pissed because that shouldve not been touched. It was perfect

They just need to remaster them right. I hope Thriller still has film grain when it gets released on Blu-Ray. Film grain shouldn't be removed when restoring film. Usually details are gone if too much digital noise reduction is used. They should also include the original audio.

I saw Thriller 3D in 2017, grain was subtle but still there, details were exceptional ! It was like a rediscovery. They didn't use the DNR button so that's great. 18/20 for the restoration. Audio was the remix and not the original though...

Last edited:
Since some years have passed since this was announced / made...why exactly is this remaster not on youtube yet? What was/is their plan?
If they're not planning to sell it in a way, they should just upload it.
Take On Me by A-ha also got reuploaded on YouTube in 4K. So what are they waiting on ?? :I

Back