Michael Jackson’s Thriller is the first album certified RIAA 30x multi-platinum

Quincy Jones ?@QuincyDJones 12h12 hours ago
Thriller just became the 1st album in @riaa history 2 go 30x multi-platinum in the U.S. Glad some of u liked it! ;)
CWd95dMWsAE_QE0.jpg

Quincy Jones ?@QuincyDJones 12h12 hours ago
Photo credit attributed to Sam Emerson for that photo of me and Smelly at @TheGRAMMYs in 1984.

Coolest piece of news since annoucement of Xscape,
but the media wouldn't let him have his day in the sun.
Hell bent to rain his parade,
they just gotta insert Adele and the Eagles in there.
Yeah, we get that, we know it. What's next ...blah blah blah ....

Its taken along time for recertifaction. Back in the day this was an ongoing struggle as sony and the powers that be failed to do their job and mjs numbers were intentionally downplayed while eagles P.R was pushed down everyones throats. The question now is when will the other albums get their recerts as we all know their figures are way off aswell

Thriller sales have always confused me. Some say it sold over 100 million, and then others say the 100 million was a myth, and that it actually sold 60-70 million copies. So, which one is it?

Thriller sales have always confused me. Some say it sold over 100 million, and then others say the 100 million was a myth, and that it actually sold 60-70 million copies. So, which one is it?

100 million total.
30 million in US and rest of the 70 million all over the world.

PS, I'm certain somebody is itching to post something that the numbers are inflated:D

100 million total.
30 million in US and rest of the 70 million all over the world.

PS, I'm certain somebody is itching to post something that the numbers are inflated:D

I second that :yes:

The Guinness World Records certified Thriller with over 104 million copies sold in 2006. It should currently have over 110 millions at least.

You can see the certificate below on Michael's right.

michael-poses-with-his-seven-guinness-world-records-awards%28255%29-m-1.jpg

I wonder why they always say 60-65 million total worldwide-I've read that repeatedly in news articles the last few days-when Guinness obviously says otherwise. I wonder if it's because they're not adding them together properly-I don't know.

I wonder why they always say 60-65 million total worldwide-I've read that repeatedly in news articles the last few days-when Guinness obviously says otherwise. I wonder if it's because they're not adding them together properly-I don't know.

Because that's the number that is supported by receipts. The 100 million claim is not.

In any case, whether 60-65 million or 100 million, Thriller is the best selling album of all times globally and that's enough for me.

Are any other artists figures questioned like this or is it just a media agenda that even ends up in threads like this? I dont think G.W.W pulled the figures out of you know where

Are any other artists figures questioned like this or is it just a media agenda that even ends up in threads like this? I dont think G.W.W pulled the figures out of you know where

Actually yes. Elvis, for example, did not sell over one billion records. Even elvis.com admits that. Nor did the Beatles sell over one billion records. As a marketing tool that's still claimed over and over again. To exaggerate sales numbers has always been a marketing tool.

I don't need a "media agenda" to form an opinion, BTW. I simply look up the receipts (official sales numbers country by country) and the 65-66 million number is what is supported by those numbers. That's just a fact. If someone can come up with numbers supporting 100 million copies sold I will gladly accept that.

Thing is, global sales numbers are always murkier than US or UK numbers (or numbers from other big record buying Western countries) simply because in many countries they do not track sales numbers as accurately in the Western world or do not track them at all. So no one is really able to tell the global sales of an album totally accurately - not even Guinness.

Fact is, Thriller has by far the biggest official sales numbers globally but they are not 100 million. Of course, it is possible if all sales (including from countries which do not track sales numbers) would be added we would end up at 100 million, but that can never be more than guess play. And if you add "invisible sales" then you should do the same for all other albums as well. That would be only fair. And it's just impossible to tell which album sold what in areas where it is not tracked that much. So I'd just rather stick with what we know for sure and what we have the receipts for.

I am not sure why some consider it an "insult". With 65-66 million Thriller is still by far the best selling album of all times globally. If it's 100 million then that just makes it even better, but like I said, I just like to stick to things that we have evidence for. Let's just say I like to be rather on the cautious end with estimations. If it's more then it's only better.

Last edited:
As confirmed by michaeljackson page, 100 million is a figure that includes sales for the album track sold as a stand-alone and through the albums in which it is included.

I think it is worth reporting this from 2009 press release by Sony for THIS IS IT

Five of Jackson's solo albums - "Off the Wall," "Thriller," "Bad," "Dangerous" and "HIStory," all with Epic Records - are among the top-sellers of all time and “Thriller” holds the distinction as the largest selling album worldwide in the history of the recording industry with more than 70 million units sold. Additionally, singles released from the Thriller album sold more than 100 million copies worldwide, another all time record.

http://www.sonypictures.com/corp/pr.../08102009_Michael_Jackson_This_Is_It_SPE.html
So 70 million is the official figure for the album, which i think it is a reliable figure.
Official confirmed figures found by me and other fans over the years put its sales at not less than 60 million, so adding up missing sales a 70 m figure is not irrealistic.
MJJSOURCE.COM reported a figure of 59 million in early 2004, and since then Thriller ha scanned 3,5 million in The USA alone

Last edited:
The numbers the media want to believe are mostly sale figures that are here since mid 90's like the rest of Michael's global figures (for Off The Wall, Bad, Dangerous and HIStory).

For Thriller specifically we can see a lot happened since then. According to a report from 2007 the album sold every year around 100k copies every year just in USA. In 2007 Thriller already had 27x multi-platinum, Then you have the RIAA finally updating Thriller's figures two months after Michael passed: In August 2009 RIAA gave it the 29th platinum certification (The year-end sale figures for Thriller in 2009 were 1.47 million copies in US).

Then there is Thriller25 which sold around 4.5-5 million copies worldwide (688k in USA) in 2008.

While making sure I am getting my facts right I came across this article from 1999 Which is reporting about the Eagles outselling Michael's Thriller with their Greatest Hits albums (26 million copies). So up until 1999 Thriller sold 25 million copies in USA.

http://www.mtv.com/news/519962/beatles-garth-brooks-barbra-streisand-centurys-top-sellers/

A year later (2000) RIAA gave Thriller its 26th platinum certification:

Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’ receives its 26th platinum certification from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), representing 26 million copies sold in the U.S. It remains the second best-selling album in music history.

https://rockhall.com/story-of-rock/timelines/michael-jackson/basic/

Now it's 30x multi-platinum, making it 4 million more copies sold in America only since 2000 (Average of around 266k copies sold every year in the USA).

We all know Michael is one of very few American artists who sell better outside the USA. It's easy to see with with Thriller25 - 4 million copies worldwide and 0.6 in USA. Thriller in the 90's - 20-25 million copies in USA and 45-55 copies worldwide. With other albums the gap is even bigger. At least twice of the American sales.

Even if we only add smaller worldwide sales figures to the American ones, it still sums up to many millions of copies in twenty years so one really has to wonder how come Thriller and other MJ albums carry the same figures for all these years.

Actually yes. Elvis, for example, did not sell over one billion records. Even elvis.com admits that. Nor did the Beatles sell over one billion records. As a marketing tool that's still claimed over and over again. To exaggerate sales numbers has always been a marketing tool.
------------------

Personally ive never seen the media question or intentionally deflate elvis etc numbers like they have done with mj.infact its always the the complete opposite inorder to put mj in his place. Id like to see the other albums gets their recerts now to get some legit upto date numbers

Its great that Thriller has soared ahead of the Eagles' Their Greatest Hits (which I also love). I hope the contest is now settled once for all. Eagles have released other Hits collections, so I don't believe that disc will sell a lot more going forward.

Its great that Thriller has soared ahead of the Eagles' Their Greatest Hits (which I also love). I hope the contest is now settled once for all. Eagles have released other Hits collections, so I don't believe that disc will sell a lot more going forward.

In any case i find more impressive the sales of Thriller, a studio album, than a gh compilation, which draws "easier" sales

pierpinto1;4124091 said:
As confirmed by michaeljackson page, 100 million is a figure that includes sales for the album track sold as a stand-alone and through the albums in which it is included.

That's not what the Guinness certification from 2006 says:

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;4124038 said:
The Guinness World Records certified Thriller with over 104 million copies sold in 2006. It should currently have over 110 millions at least.

And:

ivy;3764091 said:
Statement From The Estate Of Michael Jackson Regarding Thriller

We understand that loyal MJ fans are reacting to the article that appeared in the New Yorker questioning the sales of Michael’s “Thriller” album. Let’s state this for the record: “Thriller” has sold MORE THAN 100,000,000 ALBUMS WORLDWIDE. In addition, the number of singles sold cannot even be tallied. It is far and away the largest selling album in record industry history which, ironically, the same reporter noted in the December issue of the same magazine. Quite frankly, we are unaware of the credentials of the blogger in the New Yorker, and point out that it is his opinion only, and not based on the facts of the extraordinary 30-year sales history of Michael’s masterpiece.

- John Branca and John McClain, Co-Executors, The Estate Of Michael Jackson

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/128103-Statement-from-MJ-Estate-Pg-12-170-New-Yorker-Did-Thriller-Really-Sell-a-100-Million-Copies/page12

Both say albums.

Re: Michael jackson's 'thriller' first ever 30x multi-platinum riaa certification

I do not like this news. We tease.

Those statements are marketing tools, Thriller , the album hasnt sold 100 million.

70 million is the official figures and way more realistic.

Guiness is pretty rigorous when overseeing w.w attempts.Id be surprised if they gave out knowingly false confirmations/certifications. All rather ironic

Those statements are marketing tools, Thriller , the album hasnt sold 100 million.

70 million is the official figures and way more realistic.

You are entitled to your own opinion. There are official statements that say otherwise. You quoted the website, I quoted Guinness and Michael's Estate. Which of these you believe is up to you.

You are entitled to your own opinion. There are official statements that say otherwise. You quoted the website, I quoted Guinness and Michael's Estate. Which of these you believe is up to you.

I have been researching Michael's figures and following worldwide charts for years.
So yes, i believe the 100 million figure just for the album is bullshit.

Its taken along time for recertifaction. Back in the day this was an ongoing struggle as sony and the powers that be failed to do their job and mjs numbers were intentionally downplayed while eagles P.R was pushed down everyones throats. The question now is when will the other albums get their recerts as we all know their figures are way off aswell

EXACTLY.
I do remember that I read some article in the late 90s where the article was about Off The Wall album and in the late 90s the sales figure for the album was 20 million!
Now, its 2015, more than 15 years later, I would bet its 25 million now, but there is NO official source to confirm that, and I do believe it could reach 10 in the US (another diamond award)

Then BAD, by the official doc for BAD25, its stated that BAD sold 45 million, in the USA its for now certified with 8 million, but it was in 2007, I would bet its other 10 million - diamond award

Dangerous - officially 7 million by RIAA from 2007
What about HIStory? In the USA 7M=3.5M copies of the set, I would bet it could have 5=10 million units

... and so on... Number Ones.... As of November 8, 2014, the album has sold 5,106,357 copies in the US only.

MJ community just has to apply the MJ Estate and Sony for the updates...

The numbers the media want to believe are mostly sale figures that are here since mid 90's like the rest of Michael's global figures (for Off The Wall, Bad, Dangerous and HIStory).

For Thriller specifically we can see a lot happened since then. According to a report from 2007 the album sold every year around 100k copies every year just in USA. In 2007 Thriller already had 27x multi-platinum, Then you have the RIAA finally updating Thriller's figures two months after Michael passed: In August 2009 RIAA gave it the 29th platinum certification (The year-end sale figures for Thriller in 2009 were 1.47 million copies in US).

Then there is Thriller25 which sold around 4.5-5 million copies worldwide (688k in USA) in 2008.

While making sure I am getting my facts right I came across this article from 1999 Which is reporting about the Eagles outselling Michael's Thriller with their Greatest Hits albums (26 million copies). So up until 1999 Thriller sold 25 million copies in USA.

http://www.mtv.com/news/519962/beatles-garth-brooks-barbra-streisand-centurys-top-sellers/

A year later (2000) RIAA gave Thriller its 26th platinum certification:

https://rockhall.com/story-of-rock/timelines/michael-jackson/basic/

Now it's 30x multi-platinum, making it 4 million more copies sold in America only since 2000 (Average of around 266k copies sold every year in the USA).

We all know Michael is one of very few American artists who sell better outside the USA. It's easy to see with with Thriller25 - 4 million copies worldwide and 0.6 in USA. Thriller in the 90's - 20-25 million copies in USA and 45-55 copies worldwide. With other albums the gap is even bigger. At least twice of the American sales.

Even if we only add smaller worldwide sales figures to the American ones, it still sums up to many millions of copies in twenty years so one really has to wonder how come Thriller and other MJ albums carry the same figures for all these years.

for all of that written.... when you look at the Guinness records, there on one plaque it states that MJ was THE FIRST ENTERTAINER TO HAVE OFFICIALLY RATIFIED SALES OF MORE THAN 100 MILLION ALBUMS OUTSIDE THE USA!

The question is since when was the "ratified sales" acknowledged or confirmed, since the late 80s? or the mid 90s?

That means that NO other artist from the USA before MJ sold more than 100 million albums, so Elvis by that could have never sold the billion whatever....
So... what was the date of the ratified thing?
Because the global sales outside the US was far higher than in the US, so after Thriller (1982) MJ sold with every album more than 100M in the late 90s - after BAD, Dangerous, HIStory or maybe including Invincible.

And btw, do you remember the time when in 2006 there was released the statement by at the time Baymone Bain that MJ had sold 750 million records, well 8 years later and 250M more...(?), but we do known by John Branca that since MJ died, more than 50 million albums and 50+ million singles (=100+M records + dvd, ringtones) have been sold globally

Last edited:
I have been researching Michael's figures and following worldwide charts for years.
So yes, i believe the 100 million figure just for the album is bullshit.

I have also been researching Michael's sales figures and following worldwide charts for YEARS, and the 100 million just for the album is bullshit. That's because it is MORE than 100 million.

Perhaps WE don't have data available and tangible evidence to prove it but I assume the Estate has such data to back it up. What I mean is that not all countries have their numbers updated rather they have old figures.

I have never for a minute believed that the Eagles Greatest Hits were even close to Thriller's sales. This was a ploy by the media and industry to diminish Michael's sales. They did it to hurt him and Sony and Mottola were in on this dastardly deed. Bastards.

------------------

Personally ive never seen the media question or intentionally deflate elvis etc numbers like they have done with mj.infact its always the the complete opposite inorder to put mj in his place. Id like to see the other albums gets their recerts now to get some legit upto date numbers

Agreed. It's amazing how some media will contort themselves all over the place to diminish MJ's staggering successes. I remember one magazine did a bestselling list and MJ wasn't even in the top 10. The magazine used some weird configurations like how often a radio station played a song with the format of the station or something crazy...I can't remember how they did it, but I do remember literally laughing out loud on their manipulations to not get MJ in that top 10.

Truly amazing the lengths some will go to feed into their denial of MJ's greatness.

Perhaps WE don't have data available and tangible evidence to prove it but I assume the Estate has such data to back it up. What I mean is that not all countries have their numbers updated rather they have old figures.

Yes. An internet research is limited because most of the data outside USA is not up to date and like I said previously most of Michael's worldwide data on the intrenet are numbers that are there since the mid 90's. You can look up the sale figures in every country on your own and add the numbers but the research useless if it's a 20 year old figure. I believe the numbers on Joe Vogel's book are more or less correct for the year of the book's release (2011).

Back