Michael - The Great Album Debate

The re-issue of BAD cannot be compared to "Michael" which was labeled as a posthumous brand new album. The world mega star dies and an album comes out, it is sad, but his death contributed to the publicity of the sales, which is true for many artists when they die. So, they cannot be compared. Nonetheless, had there been no such controversy, "Michael" would have sold many more copies.

Many non-MJ fans bought it too, because of the star's death "hype".

yeap.

Uh, the man thanks to whom we even know this -- sound engineer Angelo Montrone -- for his part believes the songs are authentic, and says that there is no way they would have given him MJ's actual vocals, for fear of leaks.

He said that he is not sure. He said that there is 5% possibility that they faked the songs.

The way the anti-Cascio people refer to themselves as "the fans" is, well, annoying, but I'll let it pass.

By the way, here is a bit of disappointing news that ought to put things in perspective when the anti-Cascio people overestimate their numbers. I hear the new Bad 25 CD -- a very good product, as far as I'm concerned -- only moved 20 000 copies in its first week. So basically, that means there are now 20 000 hard-core MJ fans in the US. So even if 100 % of you had chosen not to buy the "Michael" album because of the controversy, that would have meant sales of 3 million copies minus 20 000. So the relative failure of that album had nothing to do with the small number of hardcore fans who even care about this issue.

Actually, 3 millions in sales is looking more and more like a huge success, compared to the sales we're seeing now...

THERE IS NO ANTI-CASCIO PEOPLE; THERE ARE ONLY ANTI-FAKE SONGS PEOPLE.

27,000 not 20,000.

Yes, the numbers are bad. But that's because people are disappointed and they had enough shitty material (MICHAEL, Vision, Immortal - all disasters). Cascio songs triggered all this. Many regular people are scared to buy genuine MJ products because they are scared that they may end up buying fakes.

Last edited:
Who cares about the sales of a re-issue? The fans are more targetted than anyone else with BAD 25. I doubt that a non fan will buy a re-issue for a zillionth time and a DVD with VHS quality.

But to the fans this re-issue is precious. There are never heard before demos, full concert on DVD, a live CD, booklets, etc.

Last edited:
Trying to understand what sales of Bad 25 have to do with Michael Jackson not singing on songs officially labeled as Michael Jackson songs.

I'd buy Bad 25 about 1 billion times before I'd even consider picking up 'Michael' out of the CD rack at my local record store to look at the cover.

By the way, just in case some people voluntarily forget some crucial factors in order to prove I don't know what, when BAD came out, it was the second largest selling album of all time (around 25 000 000 copies worldwide). Between that era and now, BAD album has probably been sold by additional millions. So, the sales of this re-issue BAD25 can just be added to the sales of the initial BAD and BAD 14th anniversary special edition from 2001.

Saying that the sales of BAD 25 are not that good and daring to compare it with "MICHAEL" equals to ignorance as the circumstances are not the same. BAD has nothing to prove any more and has already reached unprecedent success. People are still talking about it and TV channels still show videos of that era and hype, not to mention music videos, posters, pictures, t-shirts, toys, singer competitions covering MJ's songs from that era, etc.

When you take all this into account, only then compare it to "MICHAEL", and you'll see how insignificant impact "Michael" album had in people's minds, let alone the controversy.

Do me a favor and don't compare a piece of art with a piece of sh.. caused by the Cascio songs.

Last edited:
Do me a favor and don't compare a piece of art with a piece of sh.. caused by the Cascio songs.

Question : even assuming the Cascio tracks are fake, "Michael" still has 7 other songs. Seven songs is one more than what we're getting on Bad 25 (6 demos). So can't you love "Michael" for what it is (according to you) : a collection of 7 MJ songs? Just disregard the 3 Cascio tracks like we all do the remix tracks on Bad 25, and there you go, you've got a 7-track MJ EP!

Yes, the numbers are bad. But that's because people are disappointed and they had enough shitty material (MICHAEL, Vision, Immortal - all disasters). Cascio songs triggered all this.

No offence, but this is completely delusional. The problem with Bad 25 isn't that MJ fans didn't buy it. It's that there's only 25 000 of them left in the US. And the general public doesn't seem to care about MJ unless it's Thriller or Greatest Hits.

Question : even assuming the Cascio tracks are fake, "Michael" still has 7 other songs. Seven songs is one more than what we're getting on Bad 25 (6 demos). So can't you love "Michael" for what it is (according to you) : a collection of 7 MJ songs? Just disregard the 3 Cascio tracks like we all do the remix tracks on Bad 25, and there you go, you've got a 7-track MJ EP!

I of course am only talking about the 3 tracks as being an insult and it's them that I disregard. I of course enjoy the rest of the album.

However, I witnessed BAD hype in 1987, and it's uncomparable to the album "Michael".

Bad 25 cannot be spoken of without including the original album when it came out in 1987 and without mentioning that there has already been a re-issue in 2001. Speaking of BAD 25 alone is doing injustice to that very album and to MJ as an accomplished artist and a legend. Once again I have impression that MJ and his art is undermined.

No offence, but this is completely delusional. The problem with Bad 25 isn't that MJ fans didn't buy it. It's that there's only 25 000 of them left in the US. And the general public doesn't seem to care about MJ unless it's Thriller or Greatest Hits.

Oh please... Has it ever come across your mind that Bad 25 is a re-issue of a re-issue? The original was released in 1987. The first reissue was released in 2001. Plus, almost all songs from Bad were included in Number Ones, the KOP, the UC and TII. Just how many times do you expect people to keep buying the same thing over and over again?

Yes, the live CD and the unreleased demos are precious. But, you think people will rush to buy the CD during the first week just for them? No. I guess not. I believe many fans are content with what they have already owned and don't feel the need to buy Bad 25 for now. A fan is not required to own all releases.

Also, there is absolute no public awareness of Bad 25. There has been extremely minimal promotion thus far. The Pepsi campaign came and disappeared without making any impact. Basically, if one is not a member of a MJ fan club, one will not know Bad 25 is out. Even I missed that Bad 25 special on BET. You expect Bad 25 to hit top chart position with such lackluster promotion? I'm not surprised by the tepid first week performance.

I don't think the Bad 25 and Michael comparison is valid. The circumstances are completely different. This just shows how desparate you are with your opinion on the Cascio tracks. You can try minimize the negative impact of the Michael album however you want. But, I bet even the Estate would agree the Michael album was a miscalculation and caused damage to fans' goodwill.

It is premature to judge the performance of Bad 25 just yet. The holiday season is ahead of us. If the performance of Bad 25 is not up to expectation, it speaks more on the Estate and Sony's business strategy than Michael's appeal. They may want to ask themselves some questions. Is the market flooded with too many Michael Jackson release with similar materials? Will fans buy whatever with the name Michael Jackson on it? Is quantity above quality? Is there any other promotion method that can be utilized? How to moblize the million FB fans?

Last edited:
Yes, the numbers are bad. But that's because people are disappointed and they had enough shitty material (MICHAEL, Vision, Immortal - all disasters). Cascio songs triggered all this. Many regular people are scared to buy genuine MJ products because they are scared that they may end up buying fakes.

I disagree. Michael album sold 600,000 copies in USA. Immortal sold 43,000 in first week in the USA. IF this had been an effect of Cascio songs they should have suffered similar low sales -even lower sales - as well. Bad25 is quite lower when compared to Michael and Immortal that included Cascio songs.

So I don't think this got anything to do with the Cascio songs or the fear of getting fakes and so on. It shows that probably the hardcore fan base is getting smaller - assuming that re-release of Bad25 is only relevant to the hardcore fans. And Estate seems to be doing a lot better if they target general public rather than the hardcore fans.

Also, there is absolute no public awareness of Bad 25. There has been extremely minimal promotion thus far.

I disagree with this. Bad25 commercials are at heavy rotation on X-factor 2 days a week. Walmart has decent in-store stands. Also there's a lot of banner ads placed on many popular websites. Promotion is fine. It might have benefited from a single release though.

I'm not surprised by the tepid first week performance.

You might not be surprised but I think this deserves a worry. Why because they estimated a first week sales of 140,000 but only were able to sell 27,000 which is 1/5 th of the sales they expected to have. It might change the future approach to releases. And that's what's relevant here.

BAD sold dozens of millions and we have to worry because the re-release sold around "only" 27 000 additional copies in the first week? Lolarious :D

If people like focusing on the figures here are some:

Released Dec. 14, "Michael" debuted and peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard 200. Meanwhile, lead single "Hold My Hand," featuring Akon, peaked at No. 39 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No. 33 on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, selling 304,000, according to SoundScan. And while in its first five weeks "Michael" has sold a respectable -- especially in this industry climate -- 434,000, the figure pales next to that of "This Is It," which sold 890,000 in its first five weeks.

http://www.billboard.com/news/micha...n-s-michael-album-sales-pale-1004139871.story

So it seems that MJ's re-release sells better than "Michael". And saying that the Cascio songs didn't affect the sales is simply speculation and yet once again trying to undermine the big issue. Needless to say that those Cascio songs DID contribute to the negative publicity..

p.s.

40 million copies or more

• Markets' order within the table is based on the number of compact discs sold in each market, largest market at the top and smallest at the bottom.[SUP][3][/SUP]
ArtistAlbumReleasedGenreTotal certified copies
<small>(from available markets)</small>
Claimed sales
Michael JacksonThriller1982Pop, rock, R&B<small></small>
<small>Total available certified copies: 42.3 million</small>[show]
65-110 million[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP]
AC/DCBack in Black1980Hard rock, heavy metal<small></small>
<small>Total available certified copies: 25 million</small>[show]
50 million[SUP][22][/SUP][SUP][23][/SUP][SUP][24][/SUP]
Pink FloydThe Dark Side of the Moon1973Progressive rock<small></small>
<small>Total available certified copies: 22.7 million</small>[show]
50 million[SUP][26][/SUP]
Whitney Houston / Various artistsThe Bodyguard1992R&B, soul, pop<small></small>
<small>Total available certified copies: 26.4 million</small>[show]
45 million[SUP][30][/SUP][SUP][31][/SUP]
Michael JacksonBad1987Pop, funk, rock<small></small>
<small>Total available certified copies: 17.2 million</small>[show]
30&#8211;45 million[SUP][32][/SUP][SUP][33][/SUP][SUP][34][/SUP]
Meat LoafBat Out of Hell1977Hard rock<small></small>
<small>Total available certified copies: 20.5 million</small>[show]
43 million[SUP][36][/SUP]
EaglesTheir Greatest Hits (1971&#8211;1975)1976Rock<small></small>
<small>Total available certified copies: 31.8 million</small>[show]
42 million[SUP][2][/SUP]
Various artistsDirty Dancing1987Pop, rock, R&B<small></small>
<small>Total available certified copies: 17.8 million</small>[show]
42 million[SUP][37][/SUP]
Bee Gees / Various artistsSaturday Night Fever1977Disco<small></small>
<small>Total available certified copies: 17.9 million</small>[show]
40 million[SUP][38][/SUP]
Fleetwood MacRumours1977Rock<small></small>
<small>Total available certified copies: 26.8 million</small>[show]
40 million[SUP][40][/SUP]
Shania TwainCome On Over1997Country, pop<small></small>
<small>Total available certified copies: 29.8 million</small>[show]
40 million[SUP][45][/SUP]

<tbody>
</tbody>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums
Where is "Michael" :D

I disagree. Michael album sold 600,000 copies in USA. Immortal sold 43,000 in first week in the USA. IF this had been an effect of Cascio songs they should have suffered similar low sales -even lower sales - as well. Bad25 is quite lower when compared to Michael and Immortal that included Cascio songs.

So I don't think this got anything to do with the Cascio songs or the fear of getting fakes and so on. It shows that probably the hardcore fan base is getting smaller - assuming that re-release of Bad25 is only relevant to the hardcore fans. And Estate seems to be doing a lot better if they target general public rather than the hardcore fans.

I disagree with this. Bad25 commercials are at heavy rotation on X-factor 2 days a week. Walmart has decent in-store stands. Also there's a lot of banner ads placed on many popular websites. Promotion is fine. It might have benefited from a single release though.

You might not be surprised but I think this deserves a worry. Why because they estimated a first week sales of 140,000 but only were able to sell 27,000 which is 1/5 th of the sales they expected to have. It might change the future approach to releases. And that's what's relevant here.

I watched the last hour of x-factor last night and didn't see any Bad 25 commercial. Actually, I haven't seen any Bad 25 commercial at all. Is Bad 25 commercial like political ads, depending on geography? I'm not sure. Thus far, I feel Immortal is better promoted than Bad 25. If I, an MJ fan who naturally pay more attention when MJ's name is mentioned, do not see anything on Bad 25, then I think the general public might not be aware of the release. Promotion might be very sparodic. Some get more and some get less. In a way, the whole effort hasn't been effective. Again, it may be too premature to determine the level of success yet. The Spike Lee doc will be aired on Thanksgiving. The holiday shopping season is coming up.

The Immortal album attracted not only MJ fans, but Cirque fans, plus it got help by an ongoing Cirque tour. Also, I have already raised in my previous post that Bad 25 is a repeat re-issue. And, most songs (all the big hits) on Bad were included in the numerous greatest hit albums. Even fans may experience fatigue now. The DVD could be a big draw. Unfortunately, there is a big disclaimer on quality. Fans have expressed hesitation and concern about quality. Who knows? May be the VHS quality did play a role in fans decision in whether to buy Bad 25 special edition now. I'm not a music industry pro, so I don't know if a goal of 140,000 copies for a re-release is realistic or not. I read a couple weeks ago that a Billboard #1 album couldn't even pass the 100,000 threshold.

I totally agree that the result of Bad 25 will change the future release approach. There are many questions to ask. Is it true that sales will be better if the Estate target a wider audience than the hardcore base? Well... I hate to say it, but it's not 2009 anymore.

Yes it's too early to determine overall success. We'll wait and see the annual sales. With the documentary and holiday season there could be an interest in the album.

Pink sold 281,000 albums at USA this week. So 50% less estimate 140,000 seems to be okay for a re-release.

given that at the 86th week of its release Adele has sold 26,000 albums.

It's also a known fact that finished songs sell better than demos, new albums sell better than re-releases and of course a bigger target market is better than a smaller one.

@Bumper it's not correct to compare Michael to the 80s sales numbers. no album sells that much anymore. Top albums would be around 15 Million mark (Lady Gaga and Adele) but even the 3rd position would only be 5 Million range. For example Beyonce's 4 album sold 2.1 million copies last year worldwide and ranked as the 10th album. So Michael with it's overall 2.5 Million sales - as we last heard- is in today's sales numbers is a top 10 album.

Yes it's too early to determine overall success. We'll wait and see the annual sales. With the documentary and holiday season there could be an interest in the album.

Pink sold 281,000 albums at USA this week. So 50% less estimate 140,000 seems to be okay for a re-release.

It's also a known fact that finished songs sell better than demos, new albums sell better than re-releases and of course a bigger target market is better than a smaller one.

@Bumper it's not correct to compare Michael to the 80s sales numbers. no album sells that much anymore. Top albums would be around 15 Million mark (Lady Gaga and Adele) but even the 3rd position would only be 5 Million range. For example Beyonce's 4 album sold 2.1 million copies last year worldwide and ranked as the 10th album. So Michael with it's overall 2.5 Million sales - as we last heard- is in today's sales numbers is a top 10 album.

Umm it wasn't me. Kreen started comparing BAD 25 to Michael, but omitted to count previous releases of the BAD album. I actually already said that it wasn't comparable. I posted it for those who seem to forget how successful BAD has always been.

I think the sales figure of the Michael album was respectful, while not spectacular. I don't think it's unreasonable to call the performance of Michael underwhelming. Why? Let's flash back to 2010. The hype of Michael's posthumous career was probably at its higest point since 2009. The sucess of the film TII had many people interested in Michael again. In the spring of 2010, the announcement of the record breaking deal with Sony had many people's hope high. Then, in the fall of 2010, we also saw the release of the Experience game. Once again, the world was rooting for Michael Jackson. Fans were excited to finally have a new album in a decade. I remember how active the discussions were before the album release. After the streaming of Breaking News, we all know what happened. At that point, the focus shifted. Skepticism was born. Instead of pushing the hype to a higher level, the album Michael turned off the excitement. Then, we had another underwhelming release that was Vision. One can always argue that the album Michael did not do any damage and should be viewed as a stand alone event. But, I can't help but think it's a turning point of Michael's posthumous career. Instead of helping to continue fans' hope, it sent a negative message to fans that it's either there aren't that many releasable materials in the infamous fault or the Estate/Sony try to spread the eggs in as many baskets as possible.

Well not everyone forgets how successful Bad or Thriller has been. Why do you think I have been saying "nothing can hurt or make Michael's legacy" and "He did his own legacy when alive"? That's why.

Bad 25 versus Immortal versus Michael comparison makes sense in the way that to have an idea about the future release trends. We have Michael the last reported around 2.5 Million. Immortal did not chart last year. Given that the 40th album was 1.1 Million it probably sold less than that. We have Bad25 at a lower start than Immortal but it's too early to tell the overall sales.

Prematurely I could say giving up on the anniversary versions, remixes, box-sets etc might be the trend of future. New songs finished on a single CD priced around $8 - $10 (like Pink did for example) seems to be better for sale wise.

Well not everyone forgets how successful Bad or Thriller has been. Why do you think I have been saying "nothing can hurt or make Michael's legacy" and "He did his own legacy when alive"? That's why.

Bad 25 versus Immortal versus Michael comparison makes sense in the way that to have an idea about the future release trends. We have Michael the last reported around 2.5 Million. Immortal did not chart last year. Given that the 40th album was 1.1 Million it probably sold less than that. We have Bad25 at a lower start than Immortal but it's too early to tell the overall sales.

Prematurely I could say giving up on the anniversary versions, remixes, box-sets etc might be the trend of future. New songs finished on a single CD priced around $8 - $10 (like Pink did for example) seems to be better for sale wise.

Nothing can hurt MJ's legacy, but this argument shouldn't be used as an excuse to release stupidities labeled with MJ's name only for sales purposes. Quality is always better over quantity.

for fans yes.

but now put yourself into the shoes of the CEO of a profit seeking record company. what would they say?

This is exactly what I am fighting against. They think short-term figures, I, as a fan and collector, think quality & legacy on the long term. We don't need another Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber.

Honestly, I'd like finished (by Michael himself or producers who Michael ever worked with) songs on next posthumous new album.

I like Michael's demos very very much, but please leave the unfinished ones untouched for fans' private collection.

Really failing to see what sales have to do with the issue at hand here. Let's not stray too far from the real issue. Especially when many questions have still yet to be answered.

But I am curious, why when people talk about sales do they only speak of the USA? Michael is the biggest global icon in music history. There is a whole world out there outside of the United States. And I'm pretty sure their money fits in the pockets of the estate just as nicely as the USA's does.

Another thing, people seem to have wildly over the top expectations of what an album re-issue can do. If it makes back a nice profit for the estate (which it seems it will do) and it pleases the fans and is generally well accepted (it does and it is), then it's a success. Period. If you want Michael to reign over the charts and sell millions upon millions of every release no matter how insubstantial, perhaps you need to find a way to return to the year of 1983.

I'm pretty sure Bruce Springsteen fans didn't lose the plot when this http://www.amazon.com/Promise-Darkn...ruce+springsteen+darkness+on+the+edge+of+town didn't sell millions of copies and set the world on fire. I'm pretty sure they didn't call for the label to start putting releases out aimed more at the "general public" (whoever they are). They just enjoyed a great release. Which is what I'm doing for Bad25.

Now back to the Cascio tracks...

Last edited:
Really failing to see what sales have to do with the issue at hand here. Let's not stray too far from the real issue. Especially when many questions have still yet to be answered.

But I am curious, why when people talk about sales do they only speak of the USA? Michael is the biggest global icon in music history. There is a whole world out there outside of the United States. And I'm pretty sure their money fits in the pockets of the estate just as nicely as the USA's does.

Another thing, people seem to have wildly over the top expectations of what an album re-issue can do. If it makes back a nice profit for the estate (which it seems it will do) and it pleases the fans and is generally well accepted (it does and it is), then it's a success. Period. If you want Michael to reign over the charts and sell millions upon millions of every release no matter how insubstantial, perhaps you need to find a way to return to the year of 1983.

I'm pretty sure Bruce Springsteen fans didn't lose the plot when this http://www.amazon.com/Promise-Darkn...ruce+springsteen+darkness+on+the+edge+of+town didn't sell millions of copies and set the world on fire. I'm pretty sure they didn't call for the label to start putting releases out aimed more at the "general public" (whoever they are). They just enjoyed a great release. Which is what I'm doing for Bad25.

Now back to the Cascio tracks...

i do agree with the part about people thinking it has to do well in the USA, to be successful. nothing can be further from the truth. this bit about sinatra saying 'if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere is so not true. that's ugly american syndrome and i am from there. indeed, people are of the same value, all over the world.

They will not give up on anniversary versions (although I think they didn't planned any other anniversary album) and box-sets. I agree that album with finished songs on a single CD would be bigger success on the charts. And that is not bad idea. But they should always (for every song they ever release) release a special collectors edition with bonus disc with all the demos. That way the album will be great success on the charts and the fans will be happy (if you are in contact with Branca or the Estate suggest them this type of releases). And of course no more Cascio songs and changing the meaning of the songs.

Today, I started to put together my own version of Bad 25 CD 2 like I did with the Michael album, removing the remixes and adding songs like Cheater and Get It.

Then I remembered why I made my own version of Michael in the first place.

That album was terrible.

Bad 25 on the other hand, didn't need any major improvements. It's great the way it is. So I ended up leaving it alone.

Looking back, it's almost unbelievable how many bad decisions they made regarding the Michael album. They really messed that one up.

Last edited:

there's no determining anything in sales fairly, with what you say. As Bumper indicated, we only know of sales by available information. and by that, we cant really determine anything, as there may be a lot of unavailable markets..people buying or not buying, that we don't know about.
but one thing i have considered is looking on websites where people use background music while they're doing other things. Although buying music, i don't think, is really a cerebral thing, there's hope for music that people listen to, without skipping tracks. That's something only to be determined with big time observation. The reality is, I have been on a lot of websites, and I hear people use a lot of MJ background music..but never any from 'Michael'. I see people get a big pep in their step when they hear 'Billie Jean' or 'Heaven Can Wait', but not 'Breaking News'. I'd hazard a guess that Invincible and Thriller are doing a lot better than 'Michael', but that's not always admitted cerebrally, since i think music reaches people on a different level.(i'm not talking about people on MJ fan sites, that i know of, and i've been listening for a lot of years, now, so if i go to a random site and see someone being busy while showing a pep in step, after this, i'll know they saw my post. lol)

I think if people would take a good listen to the Invincible album, and then take a good listen to the 'Michael' album... Invincible is an excellent showcase of Michael's vocals.... perhaps some will admit the marked difference. Perhaps, some will not.

Also, Ivy, it's not necessarily true that different climates determine lesser or more sales...eg 1982 vs. now. If something has the right ingredients, it'll sell like hot cakes in any year, any environment. I know people made a definite determination that nothing could sell like Thriller, before Thriller came along. there are things i won't mention that do that, now..and other things, again, i say, that we cannot determine full sales figures on.

The greatest proof of Michael Jackson making the final decisions being the right thing, is his lasting power, featuring thriving websites like this..and the bandwagoners such as the Cascios. If the bandwagoners made the original decisions in MJ's career, i highly doubt we'd have thriving websites like this one, today. You don't usually bandwagon off of something, unless what you are bandwagoning off of is the true real deal.

Last edited:

MICHAEL
Hollywood Tonight - completely unheard of prior to release
Best of Joy - completely unheard of prior to release
(I Can't Make It) Another Day - snippets leaked prior to release
Behind the Mask - existence known, but never before heard
Much Too Soon - early demo recording leaked weeks prior to release
^ 5 new songs

Hold My Hand - leaked in full two years prior; doesn't qualify as a new song
(I Like) The Way You Love Me - officially released six years prior; doesn't qualify as a new song

BAD 25
Don't Be Messin' Around - existence known, but never before heard
I'm So Blue - completely unheard of prior to release
Song Groove/Abortion Papers - completely unheard of prior to release
Free - existence known, but never before heard
Price of Fame - existence known, but never before heard
Al Capone - existence known, but never before heard
^ 6 new songs

We're getting more from Bad 25.

Last edited:
MICHAEL
Hollywood Tonight - completely unheard of prior to release
Best of Joy - completely unheard of prior to release
(I Can't Make It) Another Day - snippets leaked prior to release
Behind the Mask - existence known, but never before heard
Much Too Soon - early demo recording leaked weeks prior to release
^ 5 new songs

Hold My Hand - leaked in full two years prior; doesn't qualify as a new song
(I Like) The Way You Love Me - officially released six years prior; doesn't qualify as a new song

BAD 25
Don't Be Messin' Around - existence known, but never before heard
I'm So Blue - completely unheard of prior to release
Song Groove/Abortion Papers - completely unheard of prior to release
Free - existence known, but never before heard
Price of Fame - existence known, but never before heard
Al Capone - existence known, but never before heard
^ 6 new songs

We're getting more from Bad 25.

i've heard 'Free' before Bad 25 came out. way before.

Back